• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
I have nothing but love for Bethesda.

But this was a blatant and late jump on the GaS train and a clear cashgrab using an engine not up for it.

A serious wake up call

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I really wonder what did it this time.

In my experience, it really, really isn't any more broken than any of their games.

With Bethesda's other games, they offered something that allowed you to overlook the jank. Fallout 76 offers nothing to ease the terrible performance of the game. So the jank is all that more prominent and upfront. Also, the days of Bethesda being the only ones to offer expansive and immersive open-world games is over. The competition on the open-world space has improve immensely. How can you justify going Fallout 76 a pass when games like RDR2 and Spider-Man provides a similar open-world experience without all the problems?

Oct 27, 2017
Back of the box quote "favorite Fallout title to date"
DsYmdp0U0AAqLR9.jpg

That last sentence reads like sports commentary: "If they want to win the game, they're going to have to score some points."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but laugh at their "implementation" of VATS in a multiplayer format. The entire reason it existed was to cover for the fact that Bethesda can't develop good shooter combat, but now it's just...bad auto-aim?

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Maybe they didn't like the previous Fallout titles? Why does it matter?
Because I'd say any previous Fallout is a better and more polished product than this. Of course 76 can be a fun experience with friends but come on... my friend and I are enjoying it a lot but none of us would say 76 is even close to the single player iterations. Also the way the review was written and the score don't match up.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but laugh at their "implementation" of VATS in a multiplayer format. The entire reason it existed was to cover for the fact that Bethesda can't develop good shooter combat, but now it's just...bad auto-aim?

Like, Rockstar found a solution to doing slo mo in a Multiplayer setting in Max Payne online.

Make it line of sight based.

Even RDR Online had a better implementation of dead eye. It was still auto-aim/paint targets in real time... but it wasn't coupled with rng everytime something moved.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Let's take the studio whose online game was so bad that their publisher decided to completely cancel it.
Let's then give them Fallout.
Then lets allow them to take everything out of Fallout that is fun and people play the series for.
???
Profit.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yeah, VATS always helped gloss over the poor shooting mechanics (which were improved in F4, though only marginally). Porting that same gameplay to an always-real-time system was a disaster from the get-go, and turning VATS into auto-aim shows that they probably realized it, too.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved just exploring and looting in previous Bethesda Fallouts, but I never realized how important having a fully developed world, towns, NPCs, etc. were to the experience. Fallout 76 missing those makes the game lose a ton of the Fallout charm for me.

I even mostly enjoyed Fallout 4 because it still felt like a fleshed out world with good characters and interesting locations to explore (even if the story was hilariously bad).

The reason Fallout even has a following and is such a recognizable franchise is due to the setting and its trappings. These things matter to most people i think. Not to say you can't enjoy just the systems and ignore most of the dressing but it's the dressing that makes everything come alive and perpetuates the interest in the games.

Otherwise you're literally just pressing a button to shoot meaningless things and pressing another button to pick up equally meaningless things. Context gives weight and importance to these things.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I would guess Bethesda Game Studio have to make a game unlike any of their previous ones to get their groove back. Being stuck in a rut is no good for anyone. They've been doing the same thing over and over and over and we ate it up but Fallout 4 was the turning point for me. They took the RPG out of it I felt like. After New Vegas though it was always going to be disappointing.

Same, Bethesda was my favourite company up to Fallout 4, they were pioneers on open world games. Fallout 4 was my turning point too, it was so shallow and unispiring. The comparisons with New Vegas did it no favours.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm not surprised.
The overwhelming majority of things said about this game that I have seen/listened to are negative.

Bethesda have to get it together, they cannot carry on like this. Please let TES VI be good. Please.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Context. If this was a 2014 game it would be doing much better, but it's 2018 and standards have changed.
Sometimes I wonder if people just focus on one sentence and think those are the only words there.

> It's easily my favorite Fallout Title
> It has problems
> It isn't for everyone

A reviewer is sharing their opinion on what this game is, but is also bracing readers for "there are flaws"

Just because someone says I think this is my favorite out of a thing =/= 10/10

But what you think about the previous Fallout titles has nothing to do with how he feels about them.
I guess that makes sense.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Generally the things that win favorable reviews are a high quality storyline, a compelling "experience", or strong moment to moment gameplay.

This isn't really offering any of those, so it's not getting a pass on any of the other problems.

The press was already starting to turn circa Fallout 4 though, so this certainly didn't help. Open world standard are very different than they were last gen.

The review progression from RE4 -> RE5 -> RE6 would be a good comparison.

It really is incredible how quickly reviewers turn on hyped AAA games after just a little bit of time.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
ESO was rough in the beginning but they completely turned it around
*rememebrs it was done by another studio*
Well I tried

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has loved Fallout since day one of the first game, this is very, very disappointing. Unlike others, I don't get any satisfaction or glee from watching this game get reviewed poorly.

I thought initially that people would get together, play the game a bit, find a way to set off some nukes, and then discover what else is in the world. But not only did the nukes happen so quickly for the people that did play it, the reviews are saying that there's not a whole lot else there. Terrible news.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Herbie Fully Loaded is a blast to play. It's easily my favourite Herbie title to date. Fully Loaded has its fair share of problems but they don't make the game unplayable. Herbie isnt for everyone but those who stick with it will definitely find what it has to offer.

As someone who has loved Fallout since day one of the first game, this is very, very disappointing. Unlike others, I don't get any satisfaction or glee from watching this game get reviewed poorly.

I thought initially that people would get together, play the game a bit, find a way to set off some nukes, and then discover what else is in the world. But not only did the nukes happen so quickly for the people that did play it, the reviews are saying that there's not a whole lot else there. Terrible news.

I don't find Fallout going down the drain funny either.
But if bethesda needs to be beaten with several internet sticks to wake the fuck up and put a better effort then by all means give me one too

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
And Knack wasn't even really bad. It got mostly misunderstood because it just is a really nice and good game for kids and the younger audience. Absolute nothing for the hardcore audience.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
nowhere in the review said the ps4 version has problems. they did not like the game, not its version on which system.
Then, you didn't read it. Literally the first paragraph.
The real kicker, though, is that even without all of its glitches and frame rate problems
And later on
It stutters constantly, both in and out of combat, and struggles to maintain 30 frames-per-second on a regular basis. It's an absolute embarrassment on a technical level.

Feb 1, 2018
I'm enjoying the game so far, but it certainly feels empty with the lack of NPC's and more robust/traditional story quests. They definitely tried to cash in on the online trend but executed it poorly. Still a fun game though, if you like the core mechanics of looting, shooting, crafting, and exploring.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Huge Bethesda fan here....after playing the beta the scores they're getting are well deserved, by far the worst game that came out of that studio.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If nothing else, this generation has shown that you can turn around disastrous launches into big successes, and Bethesda wants to be a games as a service publisher first and foremost going forward, so I would be pretty shocked if they didn't throw a ton of resources at turning this around both for the potential financial gain, and for gaining the knowhow for basically all of their future titles.
It's going to be interesting to see if that happens. Ubisoft is able to do this because they essentially leave the whole team in the project. They have a lot of studios throughout the world and a lot of developers.

Bethesda game studio is fairly small by AAA standards. Let's see how they handle it. Certainly it would make sense to try and salvage the game but if there is nobody there playing it in 3-6 months, is there a point?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
according to metacritic, bethesda was the best publisher of last year (as a reminder, nintendo launched two 97s last year). this year they won't make the top 10.

screenshot2018-11-19alkcrj.png