• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
PC players will receive a small download once today's update is available, but players on consoles shouldn't need to download anything.

• PC: 1.0.3.17
  • PS4: 1.0.3.10 (unchanged)
  • Xbox: 1.0.3.8 (unchanged)
GENERAL
  • Localization: Korean language support has been added to Fallout 76.
    • This was added to console versions of the game on December 18.
    • PC players who have their language set to Korean will see an increased download size of a few hundred megabytes today.
BUG FIXES
STABILITY AND PERFORMANCE
  • PC: Addressed an issue that could cause the game client to crash after selecting Exit to Desktop.
  • PC: Fixed a setting that was left in a debug state. This could allow out of date clients to connect, breaking gameplay.
GENERAL
  • Exploit: Addressed an exploit that could allow items to be duplicated.
COMBAT
  • Weapons: Addressed an issue that could prevent high-damage and explosive weapons from dealing damage to enemies, or cause enemies to heal immediately after taking damage.

That last one is kind of a big deal. Like, a huge deal for me.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Retention is what's important. Lot of online focused games sell well but just die off for many factors. Legs are important for these games, and all the negative press doesn't help. The game is not out of danger, and if Bethesda wants it to succeed truly they need to learn to communicate and turn things around.

All true.

My major concern was that the negativity would cause the initial sales to bomb. I think, given that I love the game, there are others who love the game, and now that I know people are buying it(sale price has undoubtedly helped), word of mouth and improvements over time should give us a user base worth sustaining.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Got a mutant killing hatchet. Plz tell me there are hatchet mods because I'd love to keep it and add to it in the future. Scorched are easy to kill but something specifically for super mutants would be great.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Scorchbeast! Don't worry, there's virtually nothing to be spoiled about the game at this point.

So here's my stance on the game right now.

It's rough, it has problems, it's got some bugs, the systems are annoying to deal with at times....But it's really really fun to just wander the wasteland, level up, loot, and explore. If you enjoy the world of Fallout and just want to spend time in it, you'll enjoy the game. If you come to Fallout for very intense NPC interaction and storyline, you're going to have a bad time.

FO76 is janky and frustrating at times, but it's still a perfectly fine exploration experience. There is a TON of negative shit going around about the game, but it's the game everyone loves to hate. I mean, the Oxford video about why FO76 is a fine game was full of toxic bullshit about how he's become a sellout/shill/waste of space because HE enjoyed the game. It was actually his video that sold me on it more than anything...He does so much great FO stuff, that him saying it's a fun experience in the wasteland full of little bits and pieces of lore is what gave me the nudge to spend the money.

So ignore the negative press and YouTube bandwagon shit and determine what it is that you want from a Fallout game. If you want deep story interactions and a carefully crafted world, you might pass for now. If you just want to explore and see a new land with Fallout goggles on and kill some shit, you'll be pleasantly content.

I can accept a certain level of jank. I wouldn't go into a BGS game without expecting that. Contrary to many on ERA, I enjoyed playing FO4. I even took the time to platinum it, whereas FO3/NV never sucked me in for more than a couple of hours. I enjoyed it because the world was fun to explore, despite not having an amazing narrative to wrap it all together.

Is there much guidance in this game? I'm not looking for hand-holding, but I like to have some sort of structure to my games, rather than just being dropped into a giant open world with no idea what to do. That's what turns me off of most survival type games.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Is there much guidance in this game? I'm not looking for hand-holding, but I like to have some sort of structure to my games, rather than just being dropped into a giant open world with no idea what to do. That's what turns me off of most survival type games.

It has about as much guidance as FO 4 does, just remove all none quest giving NPCs. Of the ones that do give quests, cut that number into a 1/4 and turn them into robot quest givers. Replace the last 3/4ths with holotape or written logs to start quests.

Edit: I should amend while it does have what so far seems to be fewer quests it does have a large number of repeatable public events.

Last edited:

moriquendi

Oct 27, 2017
I can accept a certain level of jank. I wouldn't go into a BGS game without expecting that. Contrary to many on ERA, I enjoyed playing FO4. I even took the time to platinum it, whereas FO3/NV never sucked me in for more than a couple of hours. I enjoyed it because the world was fun to explore, despite not having an amazing narrative to wrap it all together.

Personally I would say that the main quest line is quite straight forward - similar to fallout 4. You just have the quest. Most of the side quests are discovered through exploration - like in previous game though many side quests are triggered by going to an area, including areas the main quest takes you too. I loved Fallout 4 and am really enjoying this game for pretty much the same reasons. It sounds like we play the same way. I love to explore, but like to have some guidance when it comes to advancing the plot.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Unlike most survival games, this one does have bunch of quests and some storylines you go through. They are pretty linear in how you approach them, simply designed, but there is essentially some guidance going on. Many quests are locked till you enter a certain area or find specific things which trigger the start of a quest. You will approach an old house and suddenly you have a quest to check something out, you check it out and it starts a quest line for example. A big part of the game is sandbox open world exploration, but unlike most survival games there is a core storyline you play through also.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

As someone who's been in the same boat regarding survival games (I eventually dropped off of No Man's Sky and Subnautica, though I hope to return to the latter), I think FO76 strikes a good balance. The main questline is pretty involved in terms of gameplay, so at worst you'll always have the main storyline to follow. There's a good number of side quests as well and many of them are about as meaty as Fallout 4's side quests, minus the NPCs and the associated dialogue. Even if you ignore the daily/event quests (which you'll probably want to avoid after a while once you've figured out what they are and the rewards they offer), there's a fair amount of direction if you want to take it. And if you don't, you can pretty much wander where you like and forget that missions exist for a while.

I feel like the added structure is why I've been able to stick with the game through the bugs, even when I might've dropped other, more pure survival games.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
So someone dropped a nuke and that's always exciting but next thing I see is a scorched earth event from it where you gotta kill a scorchedbeast Queen. We didn't kill it but I gotta say that was the most fun I've had and I've had a blast in the 80+ hours lol.

Every type of scorched fuck was appearing there, I killed a mirelurk and all of a sudden a scorched honeybug thingy showed up then freaking scorched attack dogs and crickets. There were a bunch of people huddled up in a lil house.
When me and my friends got there it looked like it was halfway dead then some time later it just went back to full health for some reason.

In the end someone launched another nuke but players weren't really going there like before.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone playing this on the RTX 2080? I'm thinking of upgrading from a 980 Ti and I am wondering how much, if any, additional performance I can expect at 3440x1440, 100Mhz, i7 8700K 4.9 Ghz? I am mostly hoping to smooth out some issues with the framerate dropping to below 60 FPS. Anything above that is fine, but there are some problematic areas where the framerate drops dramatically.

zorbsie

Oct 25, 2017
Coming to fruition mission still bugged for me. If anyone on Xbox is on this mission please let me tag along so I can complete it with you.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Oh damn, now I'm mad I ditched the fight. LOL

It's still damn hard. The group I was in that beat it had around 15-20 people, at least one guy with explosive gatling, someone nonstop dropping mininukes in the last phase, a dude that could fly (probably from the marsupial and bird bones combo glitch thing) and most people being 70+ with some 100+ in the mix. Some one was doing something that kept her grounded almost for the entire last phase (last half of her health after healing). Not sure if it was the explosive gatling guy or maybe the guy constantly tossing cryo grenades. Even with all of this and me wailing on her full of chems and an axe with base 314 furious pounding on her constantly while she was landed we still barely made the time time limit by a few minutes. So many adds after I never got a picture with here either :(. That being said, I've gotten my own silo runs down to 40 minutes solo so I plan on coordinating my own prime fissure nukes sometime soon.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I am about to be on the official "fuck this game" bandwagon. you know, Unlike everyone else, I persevered through all the bugs. (i mean holy shit are there alot of bugs). I mean, I even ignored the fact that The game would 100% crash whenever i exited the game (so I literally had to sign out of windows just to get out of the crashed app) until the recent patch. I ignored the fact the game has its problems even before the bugs. But now, I find out that melee in this game is the most OP shit ever. im level 46, this guy is level 41, Im in fucking power armor, hes not, and he literally 3 shots me with melee. It seems whenever pvp happens, people quickly switch to some big melee weapon and 1-3 shots people. I've seen videos of people 1-2 shotting people with melee. What in the actual fuck. thats the last straw.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Ok. I am about to be on the official "fuck this game" bandwagon. you know, Unlike everyone else, I persevered through all the bugs. (i mean holy shit are there alot of bugs). I mean, I even ignored the fact that The game would 100% crash whenever i exited the game (so I literally had to sign out of windows just to get out of the crashed app) until the recent patch. I ignored the fact the game has its problems even before the bugs. But now, I find out that melee in this game is the most OP shit ever. im level 46, this guy is level 41, Im in fucking power armor, hes not, and he literally 3 shots me with melee. It seems whenever pvp happens, people quickly switch to some big melee weapon and 1-3 shots people. I've seen videos of people 1-2 shotting people with melee. What in the actual fuck. thats the last straw.

Even worse, level gap pvp is a joke. Once you go past 50 and your weapons do 200+ damage, you do pretty much no damage to lower level. Then the lower level players get a large damage buff to you. I was fine before 50 but now at 90 I get 1-2 shotted by level 30s while doing nothing to them even though I can one shot any standard mob and take down lvl 80 boss SBs on their first landing. PVP is broken. Was going to get into once I got all the endgame stuff but pvp isn't really doable at the moment. For same level pvp, melee and armor penetration is king.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum

It's the way the perk system is setup in combination with PvP scaling. Melee has really great synergy with it's various cards and great legendary weapons to boot. You toss in sneak crit bonuses and melee can 1 shot almost with the right build. What makes this worse is PvP scaling makes it so lower level people can hit high leveled people for more damage to make he fights more fair. (Not sure exactly what level this scaling kicks in and for how much)

The upside is supposedly a total PVP rebalance is landing in Jan.

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-getting-a-new-pvp-mode-early-next-year/

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's the way the perk system is setup in combination with PvP scaling. Melee has really great synergy with it's various cards and great legendary weapons to boot. You toss in sneak crit bonuses and melee can 1 shot almost with the right build. What makes this worse is PvP scaling makes it so lower level people can hit high leveled people for more damage to make he fights more fair. (Not sure exactly what level this scaling kicks in and for how much)

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-getting-a-new-pvp-mode-early-next-year/

Hope renewed!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I didn't take that as them rebalancing the PvP, more like they will add the option to join servers that have no PvP limitations meaning you can attack anyone and deal full damage first hit.

Basically a server full of snipers. lol

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): History of Ableist Language

yea, all of that sounds absolutely terrible and sounds like a company making a game with pvp elements with no understanding of pvp AT ALL. (yup....Bethesda)

Bethesda is fucking retarded

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Speak of the motherfucking devil:

https://fallout.bethesda.net/articl.../fallout-76-inside-the-vault-december-19-2018

A LOOK AHEAD TO 2019
Our sights are set for future updates. In mid-January, we will be releasing another patch that contains many fixes, including fixes for the Lever-Action Rifle reload animation, some perk cards, and we're dealing some crowd control at the Whitespring by implementing a fix for the robots duplicating on the resort grounds. Full patch notes will be available at a later date that covers all the fixes featured in this update.

We understand that sometimes the patch notes themselves aren't enough, and you want to know why we're making certain balance changes or adjustment. Beginning in 2019, patch notes will include some brief thoughts from our developers that hopefully gives the community more insight into the changes we're making and why.

We're also hard at work on a new mode where you can work together, or not, without PVP restrictions. We're already having fun playing it at the office and we're hopeful to roll it out to all of you sometime in the first quarter of the year.

This is just the beginning of new content and continued updates. We'll have a lot more to share throughout 2019.

Lever action rifle gonna finally be good after reloading now. Pvp gonna actually be open world pvp. They better balance melee tho 😒

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna need more information from them before I continue playing. I got the Fallout 4 season pass on sale to pass the time for now.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Wandering around, came across this church in a cemetary...the name escapes me.

Well it was filled with skeletons and a bunch of weird shit lol...it was basically a cult.

Creepy as hell.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Speak of the motherfucking devil:

https://fallout.bethesda.net/articl.../fallout-76-inside-the-vault-december-19-2018

Lever action rifle gonna finally be good after reloading now. Pvp gonna actually be open world pvp. They better balance melee tho 😒

They had 2.5 years to fix that reload animation. They had 4 more patches post far harbor and an entire new game to do it before now. Their priorities are ridiculous.

How they have not supplied us a content roadmap yet is astounding. Any smart company would have had that new mode ready to go by January to keep momentum, instead they will still be playing catch up 2 months in.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
They had 2.5 years to fix that reload animation. They had 4 more patches post far harbor and an entire new game to do it before now. Their priorities are ridiculous.

How they have not supplied us a content roadmap yet is astounding. Any smart company would have had that new mode ready to go by January to keep momentum, instead they will still be playing catch up 2 months in.

Don't fix the animation. People bitch. Finally fix the animation, people still bitch.

They're fixing stuff. That's a good thing.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
God I'm itching for new content. I feel like we're going to be waiting until May for the first significant DLC.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Don't fix the animation. People bitch. Finally fix the animation, people still bitch.

They're fixing stuff. That's a good thing.

No shit.

I understand where youre coming from, but they just don't deserve an ounce of pity or benefit of the doubt at this point.
Just recently They claimed they fix duping. They didnt. The game world continues to be plagued by carbon copies of explosives double shot shotguns for an month.

The game remains wildly unblanaced in terms of loot and weapon power...But fortunately for us, in their pitiful attempts at more communication, they share a sliver of info with us that they are planning on fixing a years old bug and not address more serious concerns before leaving the game in it's current state for the next month.

So yes, they are fixing the game, but it's well within our rights to question how they go about it. If only they had some sort of Beta where all these issues could have been discovered and reported to them sooner.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
The ATLAS observatory is definitely going to used in some kind of upcoming DLC. The place is full of terminals with "corrupted data" and those yellow and black striped pipes that you fix at the nuclear plants. I also found a private investigator's terminal with a bunch of locked entries that would be "unlocked at the right time". I'm pretty sure ATLAS was one of them.

SgtWiggles

Oct 25, 2017
That feel when you discovered Handmade plans are actually only available from 15-20 after spending numerous hours at level 35 trying to server hop....

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
For the first time I played with like 4 other people. Was crazy, we just wandered a lil and destroyed anything that we came across. Even wrecked a Mirelurk Queen with no issue along with Gulpers who can be annoying.

They kept talking about killing legendaries and that having to relate to some enclave stuff. Gonna have to figure that out cuz I wanna launch nukes too. Tired of killing officers and hoarding stuff I can't use.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
For the first time I played with like 4 other people. Was crazy, we just wandered a lil and destroyed anything that we came across. Even wrecked a Mirelurk Queen with no issue along with Gulpers who can be annoying.

They kept talking about killing legendaries and that having to relate to some enclave stuff. Gonna have to figure that out cuz I wanna launch nukes too. Tired of killing officers and hoarding stuff I can't use.

Dont worry about hoarding the officer stuff. It isn't actually useful and takes up weight capacity. The passcodes for the silos are weekly and game wide. They are posted online regularly (this is what those codes are for). The real thing you need for nukes are launch access cards. After you complete the entire enclave quest line, you get a method for hunting those down.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The ATLAS observatory is definitely going to used in some kind of upcoming DLC. The place is full of terminals with "corrupted data" and those yellow and black striped pipes that you fix at the nuclear plants. I also found a private investigator's terminal with a bunch of locked entries that would be "unlocked at the right time". I'm pretty sure ATLAS was one of them.

I think there's definitely gonna be some DLC with aliens. There's numerous things around the map about them.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
So hows the game running on a PS4 pro now? Framerate is still really bad? Stuttery? crashes? Its on sale now but i dont want to waste my money if its still shit

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
So I'm not too big into Fallout lore, and I heard this game butchers it, but reading terminals in various locations did the US know nuclear war was going to happen on 10/23/77?

Lots of terminals have the US army taking over different factories and businesses for "experiments" and prototypes for the war effort but it was always right before the bombs fell, or is it just coincidence?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So hows the game running on a PS4 pro now? Framerate is still really bad? Stuttery? crashes? Its on sale now but i dont want to waste my money if its still shit

Pretty bad still. Lots of places framerates drops to 0 and I wait out the freeze and hope no crash. I get roughly 1-2 crashes per hour. Some places are worse than others. That being said, framerate mostly dies when leading into an area. Walking around seems mostly fine. Explosions shoot the framerate. I'm on ps4 slim. Generally a looot of jank. All that being said, I've loved this despite it. I've but triple digit hours into this and hesitantly paid full price with low expectations. I feel I've gotten my moneys worth of fun. Though I am a generally more patient person this year than I was last year, so maybe that's the reason. Luckly you dont really lose anything with a crash. Though, always store your junk so that "death by jank" doesnt punish you.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So I'm not too big into Fallout lore, and I heard this game butchers it, but reading terminals in various locations did the US know nuclear war was going to happen on 10/23/77?

Lots of terminals have the US army taking over different factories and businesses for "experiments" and prototypes for the war effort but it was always right before the bombs fell, or is it just coincidence?

The war was escalating, the threat of the nukes was always hanging over their heads. Why Vaultec grew so much too.

SgtWiggles

Oct 25, 2017
What is this nonsense?? You mean it doesn't even appear?

ffs Bethesda

Only via Patrol Duty, which apparently can be stupidly annoying both to find and to get it from. (I have heard at that point you might be better off just making an alt). Originally I was going on the info I had seen floating around that it was available till like level 44 from those 2 shopkeepers

I got mine after level 45 by doing the Patrol Duty event at the prison

I have see that was an option, but might be hard both to find the quest, and hard getting the plan based on your Luck level (Luckily I'm going to be maxing mine atleast)

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I have see that was an option, but might be hard both to find the quest, and hard getting the plan based on your Luck level (Luckily I'm going to be maxing mine atleast)
Just go to the prison and run to the door. If it doesn't pop up, try a different server. I got my plan on my 2nd time doing the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.