• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I'm holding out on this for the time being. I love Fallout to bits, but i'm swamped with games to play at the moment, got BF V coming out which I cant wait for and the multitude of bugs and performance issues I keep hearing about have soured my hype. I do fully expect to pick it up at some point down the line though, and hope it retains a good and strong community to sustain it. Will be a lurker in this here OT for the time being and look forward to hearing your impressions

Have fun wastelanders!

Same really,plus two of my RL friends are waiting also,so we will probably all jump in at some point.

Nice OT also. :)

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have a question about workshops and camps. I'm not 100% sure of why you would build them up very much if nothing persists from session to session. I captured a few workshops, and defended them a few times from a couple waves of enemies, but other than that I don't really see what the goal of capturing them is.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
When you first see another person wandering around it feels so crazy. Not playing with a headset on or anything but just weird seeing someone else fight ticks or loot a house.

Just sat down and played a guitar, sounded great too so who knew my character could do that.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So what kind of rig do you need to run this thing at a consistent 60fps/1080p?
There are people with godly rigs experiencing massive slowdown, and people getting smooth performance with much weaker tech.

Nobody knows right now, but I know I'm barely able to play in dense areas despite being above the recommended specs. It's the worst performance in a AAA game I've ever seen.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
So am i seeing this right in that this game released early before any reviews were published? From what im gathering it seems to be boring and not really fun if you're playing solo and have no real desire to play with friends. Does that sum it up at this point?

Honestly I find this game more fun in solo. Group play is only important for events and really hard monsters but other than that I prefer to be alone. Of course, I prefer SP games so ... but still. The story being in notes and holographs means I don't want to feel pressured to rush through them cause my group or wait for my group to read through them. And I like going through games at my pace.

Yup, still strength and cards.

On a side note, for such a multiplayer-centric project, this game sure is lonely as hell. I feel like I'm playing an inferior version of Fallout 4's story campaign.

Haven't grouped up with any players yet and the server doesn't have enough in the same instance anyway. Yikes!

I personally find it a strength that the game is lonely. Fallout is a game that should be lonely. If there were people everywhere it would not feel like fallout at all or a post apocalypse world. At least with a game like GTA having people everywhere fits the setting. This game it would ruin immersion to have people everywhere.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Since it sounds like framerates are still locked to 63, I will be waiting until a proper fix is implemented (unless they've stated they are no longer bothering).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have much time to play last night, but I did get as far as making my character, stumbling out of the vault, and bumbling my way into a moonshiner's shack housing a couple of mutant ticks.

What should I expect the next time I log in? I didn't see an option to save the game, so I'm assuming that my character progress is auto-saved on Bethesda's end?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I personally find it a strength that the game is lonely. Fallout is a game that should be lonely. If there were people everywhere it would not feel like fallout at all or a post apocalypse world. At least with a game like GTA having people everywhere fits the setting. This game it would ruin immersion to have people everywhere.

It's not that I want the map to be littered with players, it's just that there's no grouping unless you have friends with the game as well. If you have no friends that play this game then there is no reason to play this over Fallout 4 tbh. The game makes no effort to put you in multiplayer situations. It's really lousy at being a multiplayer game.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone looked at the credits yet?

I remember the Beta credits were just a generic "Bethesda Game Studios," but it would be nice to finally confirm the "BGS Austin made this game, not Maryland" theory. Forgot to check them myself last night.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
It's not that I want the map to be littered with players, it's just that there's no grouping unless you have friends with the game as well. If you have no friends that play this game then there is no reason to play this over Fallout 4 tbh. The game makes no effort to put you in multiplayer situations. It's really lousy at being a multiplayer game.

Oh, yeah, I agree on some aspects that it's lousy at being an MP game (but, caveat I don't want to play it as an MP game so I'm fine with that honestly). Like the long notes and holotapes (which I love about Bethesda games. THeir best stories are usually told in notes and holotapes strung along so that you are incentivezed to delve deeper to find the story). Those are great for SP, but as I noted in the post you replied to really hamper trying to play with friends. I've actually suggested to my friend that when he gets it (he's broke right now) that we just play in the same server and get together when we need help but explore on our own.

I think the events feel like they need MP, but as for getting people incentivized to work together on them, I can't say I'd have a suggestion as the only MP games I've played extensively is GTA V (Which is balanced towards encouraging griefing cause that's how to sell shark cards) and Monster Hunter which is designed around being a co op game and fully around working together (and I find has a pretty decent playerbase). So I have no idea how they should have done it differently to encourage people to work together (other than make the bosses hard and the events need more people to do it).

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Anyone else had problems with missing items in the inventory? I played last night and picked up a total of 3 bobbleheads. Just booted up the game and now I only have one. No idea where the other 2 went :/.
Not exactly a huge motivator to keep playing if stuff like this can just disappear

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I really hope they figure out if they can up the number of players per session, it's a pretty big weakness right now imo. Makes many of the event quests frustratingly difficult at worst and very tedious at best. A lot of them can be soloed, yes, but at the cost of sprinting between several defensible points on your own, or using up a lot of ammo on enemy waves designed for multiple players and ending up in a worse place than you started.

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Oh, yeah, I agree on some aspects that it's lousy at being an MP game (but, caveat I don't want to play it as an MP game so I'm fine with that honestly). Like the long notes and holotapes (which I love about Bethesda games. THeir best stories are usually told in notes and holotapes strung along so that you are incentivezed to delve deeper to find the story). Those are great for SP, but as I noted in the post you replied to really hamper trying to play with friends. I've actually suggested to my friend that when he gets it (he's broke right now) that we just play in the same server and get together when we need help but explore on our own.

I think the events feel like they need MP, but as for getting people incentivized to work together on them, I can't say I'd have a suggestion as the only MP games I've played extensively is GTA V (Which is balanced towards encouraging griefing cause that's how to sell shark cards) and Monster Hunter which is designed around being a co op game and fully around working together (and I find has a pretty decent playerbase). So I have no idea how they should have done it differently to encourage people to work together (other than make the bosses hard and the events need more people to do it).

The events dont really reward you enough to go out of the way of doing what you are doing. Also many are not tuned well for solo or small groups, they need a good amount of player participation. It's just not worth even going to an event happening in your area because it's almost always a waste of time. A few of the early events in the game can be solo'd easy, but some events are ridiculous and you need more players. But also once you do an event, there is little reason to do it again unless you are desperate to grind xp.

There is also too many events going on in a world with less than 30 players. Folks are spread all over the map and load times are too long, so events are often being ignored.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I really hope they figure out if they can up the number of players per session, it's a pretty big weakness right now imo. Makes many of the event quests frustratingly difficult at worst and very tedious at best. A lot of them can be soloed, yes, but at the cost of sprinting between several defensible points on your own, or using up a lot of ammo on enemy waves designed for multiple players and ending up in a worse place than you started.

And I really hope they don't. I like that you aren't seeing too many people. Makes it more interesting when you do (actually makes the mp aspect kinda fun for me) and as I said before a fallout world should feel emptyish. It would be immersive breaking to constantly run into people.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
The events dont really reward you enough to go out of the way of doing what you are doing. Also many are not tuned well for solo or small groups, they need a good amount of player participation. It's just not worth even going to an event happening in your area because it's almost always a waste of time. A few of the early events in the game can be solo'd easy, but some events are ridiculous and you need more players. But also once you do an event, there is little reason to do it again unless you are desperate to grind xp.

There is also too many events going on in a world with less than 30 players. Folks are spread all over the map and load times are too long, so events are often being ignored.

Ah. Good points. As I said since I don't play mp it's harder for me to see how they should have designed it better.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
I saw a couple of streamers playing the game and they had a different UI for the pip boy, it's bigger and easier to navigate, anyone know how to enable it?

Edit: nvm i'm blind

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
A small rant...

Fight Night 4 came out in 2009 and it had a very decent face capture generator. I remember having lota of fun only with that.

So I spent like 1 hour trying to recreate myself and it still needs work but why aren't the character creations options better in 2018? I really wanted to creaye myself but afyer getring close I got frustrated. I wish there were easier tools that's all.

End rant.

Anyways I gor sucked in for about 3 hours last night. I am not sure why they are hating on the game. It is the same Fallout we've had from them just with people running around a la Destiny.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Oooof. Looks like there's a bug where you can lose access to main quests if you are partying with people, and when you come back the questline is gone.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
OMG I didn't follow any threads, and I bought the PC version from Best Buy b/c of the $10 reward certificate and GCU.

I thought it would be a Steam key, but it's another damn launcher. I don't want a Bethesda launcher program! Arghhhh!

Honestly I never really looked into the game so I won't play it anyways. Just some charity money to Bethesda I guess. BB GCU had the promo and my brain said, oh hey Fallout... oh well.

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Can you change your characters look after you created it? I was in a little rush and did not notice my male character has a ponytail on his head, which I don't like. lol. I know is cosmetic, but don't want to start over (Level 5) and just want to know if I can make changes after the fact?

Thanks!

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Can't play till tonight and I'm experiencing a bit of withdrawal
Take some Addictol that should help
latest

OP
OP
Katarn343

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Can you change your characters look after you created it? I was in a little rush and did not notice my male character has a ponytail on his head, which I don't like. lol. I know is cosmetic, but don't want to start over (Level 5) and just want to know if I can make changes after the fact?

Thanks!
Yes, if you go to the start menu whilst in game there is a change appearance option.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Only had an hour to it but really enjoyed it. Playing solo I was able to read letters and just listen to tapes and just search everything. Me and a another person did an event together and as I was being attacked by ghouls someone else helped me.

Things can change for sure but loving it. I'm probably one of the few who adore Fallout 3 more than NV and played and liked a shit ton of 4. So maybe it's geared for me which is why I like it.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
OMG I didn't follow any threads, and I bought the PC version from Best Buy b/c of the $10 reward certificate and GCU.

I thought it would be a Steam key, but it's another damn launcher. I don't want a Bethesda launcher program! Arghhhh!

Honestly I never really looked into the game so I won't play it anyways. Just some charity money to Bethesda I guess. BB GCU had the promo and my brain said, oh hey Fallout... oh well.

After you've used the launcher to download the game you can actually play it without ever using the launcher again (aside from updating). Probably won't change your mind, but thought I'd mention as it's quite handy for anyone that doesn't have tons of RAM, as the launcher uses 500MB+.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So isn't this like "officially" out today? It's weird to see the OT for a Fallout game moving so slowly and routinely not on the front page. Is this just dead in the water?

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
So isn't this like "officially" out today? It's weird to see the OT for a Fallout game moving so slowly and routinely not on the front page. Is this just dead in the water?

it is out today. but it released 12 hours ago. I'm guessing lots of people who would be playing are at work. I'm home sick with the flu and haven't touched it yet. Been fielding emails from work instead.

Plus many of us have played through the beta. Lots of discussion in the beta thread.

OP
OP
Katarn343

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
It's doing alright on Twitch and the subreddit is pretty active, it's been dead on the water on this forum since the kotaku leak. It's clearly BGS's least successful release to date, but I don't think the game is doa.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A lot of people either got their fill from the beta, or were turned off by it. Since this isn't a proper Bethesda game, it's not going to garner the attention on Era that Starfield will.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Last night I had about a 12 or so friends showing they were playing. I have not checked today yet. The OT is moving slow, but we will see how it goes in the next 24-48 hours. When I log in I will check my stats page to see how many friends have played it so far.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Played a few hours this morning, I decided on the PC version over the XBX because the framerate was really bad during the beta. So far the game runs smooth on my rig and it's been fun to explore the area. Hopefully some friends pick up the game soon so I can try out the multiplayer.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Only had an hour to it but really enjoyed it. Playing solo I was able to read letters and just listen to tapes and just search everything. Me and a another person did an event together and as I was being attacked by ghouls someone else helped me.

Things can change for sure but loving it. I'm probably one of the few who adore Fallout 3 more than NV and played and liked a shit ton of 4. So maybe it's geared for me which is why I like it.

Yep, same here. They've doubled down on what I loved and removed stuff I was indifferent to anyway.

Oct 26, 2017
My friend just sent me a clip. He's outside of the vault and you hear the music briefly and then it's gone, totally gone. And that goes for any dashboard sounds too until he closes the game.

Anyone else have this?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. Downloading the 50.76GB update after installing the full 43.37GB off disc.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
So I reached level 11 and man, this was such a lonely experience. I went in with low expectations and still left disappointed.

The most fun I had was doing events with other players, but not once did I group up with anyone doing the same quest. This is pretty tragic imo.

Is there supposed to be an endgame? I'm curious if there's any hope for this game's legs in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.