• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It's such an engrossing experience playing at my own leisure without time limits now. I'm taking it really slow, reading all the notes and terminals. The survival elements aren't on the nose nor complicated at all. Yeah, I'm sinking another 300 hours in a Fallout game.

I play very slowly too, making use of vats with my sniper rifle. I use vats to help spot enemies while stealthing. I smoke fools and then loot the fuck out of everything. Then I head back home and stash my junk like a good boy.

So I'm on a base PS4 and I've actually been immpressed by the frame rate so far. But I also just had the game lock up on me completely upon interacting with a terminal for the first time so...
Frame rate is solid now on PC as well. However, like you, I had one giant crash during my play session while building a house. I had to Ctrl alt del to clear it up.

Thanks, I have an okayish PC, GTX 1070, but XBox One X seems to be an option as well
Lol you can hit 60fps on that tho with the right settings.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
we can set up vendor stations, right?
You'd think so right? But no, not that we know of for now. A vendor at your camp would be great to have but sadly they're only on the map atm. Even if you could build them I wouldn't be surprised if it was still just a version of what's on the map, not something you can fill.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
My plan for tomorrow is to scope out camp locations. I built a house today, but without settlers it feels king of pointless. Instead, I'm going to build a roving resource center for players. I'll have a bar and grill with cheap food and drink (we can set up vendor stations, right?), crafting stations, everything anyone could need. I want to see if I can create a player-made hangout spot.
This is why servers should be fixed (ie: log back in within a week and you're guaranteed the same server), and why camps shouldn't disappear when you log off. Then you could become known as that guy on your server with the Nuka Cola bar-themed trading hangout. Instead, Bethesda's system means you might run into a camp like this if you're super lucky to be online AND on the same server at the same time as that player, but will probably never be able to return to it in the future. Biggest missed opportunity of an online settlement system imo, because it also means building mega camps with a group of friends is also impossible (No Johnny, don't log off! Half our city will vanish!)

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think so right? But no, not that we know of for now. A vendor at your camp would be great to have but sadly they're only on the map atm. Even if you could build them I wouldn't be surprised if it was still just a version of what's on the map, not something you can fill.

I could see that being added in the future but that sucks. We'll see.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Was anyone able to get interesting clothing, masks or helmets (aside from the skull stuff which everyone knows about by now)?
I read about Forest Scout Armor / Masks but haven't seen it anywhere on the internet. Same with the Urban Combat Armor.
If anyone can provide pictures of them or other stuff, a location where it can be found etc. it'd be greatly appreciated.

So far I've been able to get police, army (clean) stuff, mine worker outfits and overall more common/unspectacular cosmetic items.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Building "bulk" resources safes space/weight?

Is hacking also more difficult? I'm having problems.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
Framerate on ps4 pro still sucks. Go hang out around the airport and get in combat and tell me that's acceptable. I dare you.
Seriously, the game was constantly dropping down to unacceptable numbers during most fights. The game kept stuttering/freezing at some points too. I assume that might be on the servers but it made playing the game rough. It's still silly fun in coop but that's because its with friends lol. I feel like I didn't have some of these issues in the beta so idk what happened.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Remember guys, scrap your junk before stashing it to save weight!
Also if you stock up too much ammo/food/aid you're going to fill up quickly too. And don't store (too many) weapons if you can help it. Better to scrap them.

If you find a power armor, don't take off the pieces and put them in your storage, keep them on the frame and return the frame to your inventory. Then it'll only weigh 10 regardless of the pieces on it. You won't be able to do this if the pieces on it are over your level so think hard whether you want to keep them or not because they use a ton of space if not on a frame.

Building "bulk" resources safes space/weight?

Is hacking also more difficult? I'm having problems.

Unless they changed it, in most cases not. It's to make it onto a vendorable item. (and even then you'll get a meager couple of caps for them at most usually)

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
My only major problem with the game so far is the stash limit. In Fallout games I usually pick up everything that seems interesting and stash it at my home, so I'm struggling with the limit.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else having issues with holotapes not working? I've picked up three so far that didn't actually play anything, including one from the overseer. The ones in my inventory from the beta are working fine.

Edit: The overseer one played from my inventory, but not when I picked it up. And the other two worked on the second and third tries. Weird.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I don't think so. But not sure

They can't. If they open your stash box all they'll see is their own stash

My only major problem with the game so far is the stash limit. In Fallout games I usually pick up everything that seems interesting and stash it at my home, so I'm struggling with the limit.

Indeed, they really need to raise it. Even with a mule, trading is quite cumbersome (since it involves selecting each item separately you're willing to trade, how many, for how much you're 'selling' it. Then the other account accepting it)

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of power armor:

Does anyone know where to find more fusion cores? Mine ran out of power.

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Any opinions from people who play solo only?

Still on the fence about this game
It entirely depends on what you're looking for. A lot of people LOVE this game playing solo, a lot of us... felt it didn't offer enough to justify buying yet.

My situation: I love BGS games more than any other games. I enjoyed Fallout 4 for the settlement system - being able to build outposts across the entire Commonwealth, linking them all up with trade routes, populating them with settlers (or subjugating them all to establish yourself as a Raider overlord) - meant a BGS world has never been so malleable before. While I didn't care much for the main story in FO4, there were a lot of great sidequests, and I liked how the factions were all tied into a central cohesive narative and you could no longer be leader of absolutely everything with zero consequences. Adding mods to revert the dialogue system to previous Fallout entries massively improved it to the point I enjoyed dialogue again.

Fallout 76... while the world is gorgeous, it feels like it loses a lot of interaction. No dialogue, and only robot NPCs, means you just get talked to by emotionless beings with no option to respond to them. Robots feel a little bit like Preston Garvey from FO4 now (another Settlement is under attack...) in that if you interact with them there's a good chance a quest will get added to your log whether you want to do it or not. No choice. There it is. Because you tried talking to something. And the other factor that lessens interaction is the incredibly limited building system. It's weird that they saw how popular that was, and thought limiting stash size, limiting locations to build at to one, removing settlers (not even robot settlers here), and bizarrely even having your base vanish when you log off so you can't even build a big base with a group of friends like you can in Minecraft for example, would be a good direction to take this system. And while the world was fun to explore during my time playing in the beta, the loot rewards for exploring felt incredibly underwhelming (you need to craft for anything meaningful, which is fine, but exploration suffers for it), and I'm not convinced that once I've explored most of the map I will have anything to stick around for. In FO4 it didn't matter once I'd explored the map, because now I felt compelled to colonize it. 76 lacks that hook for me.

But the players who loved the shooting mechanics and crafting weapons/armour in FO4, and didn't care much for building settlements or for quests with dialogue options etc, seem to be loving this game, because the map is a clear improvement over 4's and the weapon/armour crafting is probably the best it's ever been in a BGS game. Lots of fun to be had scouring for new recipes, reverse-engineering for new discoveries etc.

EDIT: Keep in mind there's also the same immersion problems all solo-but-online games struggle with, perfectly captured here by Rock Paper Shotgun at 3m20s (vid should start there):

Last edited:

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Finland here, Power Armor arriving sometime between 21-24 of November from Amazon.
Same

Happening to a friend of mine as well who ordered from the official Bethesda store. Looks like Bethesda distributor messed up. I don't really mind as I wasn't planning to start playing today but it bothers me Amazon charged the 200 euros but won't be shipping it yet.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
PVP is completely nonsense. You already have to opt in within the menu, why do you have to return fire to "accept" the duel. There's zero tension in engaging another player and no benefit to surprising them.

You already agreed to PVP, why do you have to agree to it twice?

It just makes the entire thing feel like "what's the point"?

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
It entirely depends on what you're looking for. A lot of people LOVE this game playing solo, a lot of us... felt it didn't offer enough to justify buying yet.

My situation: I love BGS games more than any other games. I enjoyed Fallout 4 for the settlement system - being able to build outposts across the entire Commonwealth, linking them all up with trade routes, populating them with settlers (or subjugating them all to establish yourself as a Raider overlord) - meant a BGS world has never been so malleable before. While I didn't care much for the main story in FO4, there were a lot of great sidequests, and I liked how the factions were all tied into a central cohesive narative and you could no longer be leader of absolutely everything with zero consequences. Adding mods to revert the dialogue system to previous Fallout entries massively improved it to the point I enjoyed dialogue again.

Fallout 76... while the world is gorgeous, it feels like it loses a lot of interaction. No dialogue, and only robot NPCs, means you just get talked to by emotionless beings with no option to respond to them. Robots feel a little bit like Preston Garvey from FO4 now (another Settlement is under attack...) in that if you interact with them there's a good chance a quest will get added to your log whether you want to do it or not. No choice. There it is. Because you tried talking to something. And the other factor that lessens interaction is the incredibly limited building system. It's weird that they saw how popular that was, and thought limiting stash size, limiting locations to build at to one, removing settlers (not even robot settlers here), and bizarrely even having your base vanish when you log off so you can't even build a big base with a group of friends like you can in Minecraft for example, would be a good direction to take this system. And while the world was fun to explore during my time playing in the beta, the loot rewards for exploring felt incredibly underwhelming (you need to craft for anything meaningful, which is fine, but exploration suffers for it), and I'm not convinced that once I've explored most of the map I will have anything to stick around for. In FO4 it didn't matter once I'd explored the map, because now I felt compelled to colonize it. 76 lacks that hook for me.

But the players who loved the shooting mechanics and crafting weapons/armour in FO4, and didn't care much for building settlements or for quests with dialogue options etc, seem to be loving this game, because the map is a clear improvement over 4's and the weapon/armour crafting is probably the best it's ever been in a BGS game. Lots of fun to be had scouring for new recipes, reverse-engineering for new discoveries etc.

EDIT: Keep in mind there's also the same immersion problems all solo-but-online games struggle with, perfectly captured here by Rock Paper Shotgun at 3m20s (vid should start there):

Most of what you said about solo play is correct. The world can feel empty playing alone, since it's clearly tailored for multiplayer. As soon as you start playing with a friend the non-existence of human NPCs or in general less NPCs is quite liberating.
Like in ESO talking to quest givers and NPCs during quests is annoying, results in one person having to wait for the other to finish the dialogue or the need to rush through dialogue can be annoying. It's basically interrupting the flow of the game. Playing solo though it feels lacking, though it depends on how much you value those interactions.
Regarding exploration: I had very rewarding experiences. Though it's true that you can walk around for hours and find nothing, it seems to depend which areas you're currently exploring. Found plenty of weapons, unique items, quests and fun location on the eastern side of the map. The west side on the other hand was me wasting 2 hours exploring low level areas with next to none interesting quests. It felt like the starter area I should've visited first. Getting to the right quest lines is important to not lose motivation when playing solo and from what I can tell they're NOT on the west side. Some really good quests are also relatively easy to miss which doesn't help.

PVP is completely nonsense. You already have to opt in within the menu, why do you have to return fire to "accept" the duel. There's zero tension in engaging another player and no benefit to surprising them.

They'd have to disable players visible on the map. Otherwise you could just stalk them. I'd also have to log out all the time instead of going AFK.
After all they had to cater to PVE and PVP players which never works out.
The best solution would be PVE/PVP servers.

Stimpack

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen no signs of some major patch. Only the base download. I purchased digitally. So was that whole thing just bullshit?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Is this the case? I thought they mentioned your base would transfer between games?
It transfers, but I mean if you log off your base vanishes so no-one else can see it. When you log on again the game checks to see if anyone else online has built where your base was when you logged off. If it's still free, your base reappears as though it never vanished in the first place. If it's taken, your base is in your inventory and you have to place it down somewhere else. I'm not sure why this was considered a good idea, but presumably it's because home servers weren't viable for whatever reason. Since you get logged into a random server each time, there's no potential for world persistence, which especially in regards to the settlement system is a massive missed opportunity imo. Particularly when you consider what could have been achieved with team-building of town-sized locations, and how player creations would then vary from server to server, seeing players congregate in different locations to create the towns and central hubs the game is missing, or see some servers develop player-created raider strongholds etc. Would have been really interesting to see how different servers develop.

Yeah it's a bad system, trying to find a middle ground to make everyone happy but ends up annoying everyone. PVP/PVE servers would solve this.

Most of what you said about solo play is correct. The world can feel empty playing alone, since it's clearly tailored for multiplayer. As soon as you start playing with a friend the non-existence of human NPCs or in general less NPCs is quite liberating.
Like in ESO talking to quest givers and NPCs during quests is annoying, results in one person having to wait for the other to finish the dialogue or the need to rush through dialogue can be annoying. It's basically interrupting the flow of the game. Playing solo though it feels lacking, though it depends on how much you value those interactions.
Regarding exploration: I had very rewarding experiences. Though it's true that you can walk around for hours and find nothing, it seems to depend which areas you're currently exploring. Found plenty of weapons, unique items, quests and fun location on the eastern side of the map. The west side on the other hand was me wasting 2 hours exploring low level areas with next to none interesting quests. It felt like the starter area I should've visited first. Getting to the right quest lines is important to not lose motivation when playing solo and from what I can tell they're NOT on the west side. Some really good quests are also relatively easy to miss which doesn't help.
I don't think the holotape solution solves this though. In fact, I think it makes things worse, because you can't read the text and skip the dialogue to speed things up. And I know some people say "it plays in the background so you can listen to the dialogue while continuing to shoot and loot with friends" but gunfire drowns out audio, and unless you are a multi-tasking prodigy it's really not possible to focus on the dialogue if you're being mobbed by a pack of ghouls. Your attention switches to deal with the threat while the holotape babbles on in the background. At least with standard dialogue systems you can skim read and skip the voice acting to speed things up without missing the details. With a holotape (and loooooong holotapes in this game too) there's no speed up option. I'm pretty sure it was just a cost-cutting and time-saving solution, since there's no need for branching dialogue, branching quests, and facial animation this way. The benefit here in a service game being content should be faster to produce, so I do see the positive from a content perspective at least. It's just not as engaging for solo play, so very much seems like a choice of quantity over quality imo.

As for exploring the east side of the map, that's where I went in the beta =P Maybe I just got unlucky. I saw a HUGE tree in the distance towering over a forest and made that my goal, exploring along the way. My favourite loot was a two-handed ski-sword from a ski resort along the way, but for some bizarre reason it was level locked to 15 so I never got to use it. When I reached the tree towards the end it looked amazing, and had a fun platforming puzzle to get into the canopy, but even after succeeding and reaching the top the loot up there was all randomly generated junk, and two stealth boys. Maybe the stealth boys are super rare in this game, but even then that's not exciting to me. The best part was the view, but then I fell from the top of the tree while trying to see how far along the smaller branches I could climb, and I had to pay to respawn somewhere at the bottom of the tree, after all that climbing to get up there =( Made the whole thing feel like a waste of time.

Where are the reviews for this game?
Being an online game most will probably release next week. How much would you trust a review for an online game that released on day one? But if you want some opinions from critics look at their beta impressions. The launch code is identical to the most recent beta code, so any concerns or praise critics had then are in exactly the same state today.

Last edited:

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018

First I hear of an opt-in. The first 5 levels Pacifism is on, then it should automatically turn off. The slap thing is just how it is. It's not a full on PVP game. You can do hunter channel radio or something. If it was open people'd be banking crits and going around sneak 1hit killing people all day

Even as it is I have plenty of people blasting me if they get the opportunity. Just fast travelled to a workshop defense event this morning because it was an easy way to discover the workshop and the guy completely assaulted me even though I wasn't being aggressive at all and even helping him kill the mobs. Kinda glad I didn't have the mic on though I think I might start turning it on and use the off button and sometimes just 'Calm the fuck down. I'm just here to discover the location, not steal your workshop. Sheesh'

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks, you sound exactly where I am with this game. I loved Fallout 4 but I'm unconvinced about 76, It just feels like a missed opportunity. I'm still going to get it down the line, with a better price and some patches.

For now, I just noticed there's a new Horizon mod update (1.6 released!), so I guess it's time for a new FO4 playthrough...

MistaPropella

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Anyone else having issues with holotapes not working? I've picked up three so far that didn't actually play anything, including one from the overseer. The ones in my inventory from the beta are working fine.

Edit: The overseer one played from my inventory, but not when I picked it up. And the other two worked on the second and third tries. Weird.

I had the problem on my last Beta day, all the holotapes stopped working. I could play them directly upon pickup or from my inventory but it wouldn't play the content. I can tell that the game does not recognize that you played it, because the quest/mission with Overseer Tape 3/4 are still open to my Beta Character. I hope that this won't happen with my new Character I will start in about two hours....damn, I need my fix!!!

I don't think the holotape solution solves this though. In fact, I think it makes things worse, because you can't read the text and skip the dialogue to speed things up. And I know some people say "it plays in the background so you can listen to the dialogue while continuing to shoot and loot with friends" but gunfire drowns out audio, and unless you are a multi-tasking prodigy it's really not possible to focus on the dialogue if you're being mobbed by a pack of ghouls. Your attention switches to deal with the threat while the holotape babbles on in the background. At least with standard dialogue systems you can skim read and skip the voice acting to speed things up without missing the details. With a holotape (and loooooong holotapes in this game too) there's no speed up option. I'm pretty sure it was just a cost-cutting and time-saving solution, since there's no need for branching dialogue, branching quests, and facial animation this way. The benefit here in a service game being content should be faster to produce, so I do see the positive from a content perspective at least. It's just not as engaging for solo play, so very much seems like a choice of quantity over quality imo.

my biggest problem with this no NPC solution is, that you can quite easily miss quests, because you couldn't see the piece of paper in the corner of the dark room. If there is an NPC standing in that said room, I would talk to him and eventually get a quest/mission from them. Sometimes I don't even know where I picked up a quest that somehow sits in my Quest Log now.

Last edited:

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
I hope peeps are giving this a fair shot and this is actually a pretty solid/fun game. Looking forward to seeing some reviews! Really wanted to pick this up, but I haven't even beat Fallout 4 yet not to mention I still have RDR2, Spyro Trilogy, Spiderman and God of War to beat haha....

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I wrapped up my first proper session of the game now that it's out of beta. Just hit level 12 and mostly finished exploring Morgantown.

I will say I've warmed up a little to the game compared to the beta. Not that I think the first hour or so of the game is any better, but I was having a bit more fun once I got out beyond Flatwood. That said, there are still a lot of things that feel like they drag down the experience even early, and I get the feeling they are the kind of things that are only going to get more annoying as I get further along.

There are still a lot of bugs to wade through, even compared to Fallout 3 & 4 at launch. Just tonight I had 3 separate quests bug out for similar reasons (picking up or interacting with an object prior to a quest wanting me to do so). You can kind of shove these quests back to progressing if you can remember what container you plucked that quest item from before it wanted you to, but this should not be happening. I also lost my entire stash of 10mm ammo to a bug in the food processing plant event in Morgantown; if you're doing that event (where it tells you put 5 of each food ingredient into the hopper so it can begin food processing) DO NOT use the space bar in the hopper's inventory menu. It will drop the first food item on your side of the inventory, replace that slot with the ammunition type of your currently equipped weapon (which shouldn't even be able to appear in this menu) and if you keep pressing the button (thinking you will drop the rest of the food containers in the list) it will dump your ammo into the hopper and immediately disappear forever. I also had over 100 Pre-War Money just... disappear after transferring it to my stash. Not really sure what to do there because the weight issues are so serious in this Fallout that you can't afford not to constantly put stuff in your stash. There are also countless animation bugs going on pretty much all the time, whether it is enemies spawning in getting stuck in T-pose, crazy stretched out corpse models, or really jank AI pathing issues (watching the cargobot try to fly in with your event reward at the airport is a reward in itself).

Bugs aside, the weight limit in the game seems incredibly limiting even compared to games like New Vegas in survival mode. The combination of weight from food, water, chems and junk / scraps just seems to keep you perpetually near weight limit. On top of that you actually want to carry looted weapons or armor you might not actually use so you can scrap them for mod schematics, and the base weight of these (especially weapons) is enough that it feels like you are eternally battling your weight limit. You can tell they try to offset this by putting crafting benches of various types all over the world, but it just winds up meaning you are constantly running back and forth between the damn things when trying to explore larger town areas since you can't seem to deploy a camp near those existing locations. Also, why the hell do plans and recipes have weight? I have found maybe 10 duplicates so far (because there is no way to see if you have a recipe before picking it up) and no vendor I've come across buys them (despite them all having a relatively high value). It's definitely put a big damper on my enjoyment of exploration already; when my stash also starts running into limit issues I feel like it's going to become the game's biggest problem.

I'm not crazy about the changes to the perk system so far, and I can already tell that min-maxing in this game is going to be incredibly tedious. Perk cards like Picklock or Hacker are cards where you don't want them equipped until you actually come across a locked object, so "optimal" perk usage is going to involve tons of card swapping so you aren't wasting valuable combat perk boosts in the gaps. Same for crafting perks; you really want to have them, but only to swap them in before crafting and then back out when you're done. It will ultimately add up to a lot more time wasted in menus compared to previous Fallout games. I'm also not sure what to make of the perk balance from what cards I've seen so far; a lot of the damage-based perks have diminishing returns per card upgrade, while other incredibly powerful ones don't. There seems to be some real opportunity cost problems in the system which I think are going to need addressed. For now all I'll say is try to avoid the early game trap of upgrading the +10% damage to weapon type cards, and abuse the critical-related Luck perks before those get battered in future patches.

Also regarding the menus, at least as far as the PC version goes, navigating any of them is basically a total mess. This is only amplifying my annoyance with the weight limit since basically every menu feels trying to type with mittens on. The camp build-out menu is particularly bad. They need to put someone on the task of cleaning these menus up for keyboard and mouse sooner than later.

Despite all the above, I did enjoy exploring the new environment, and I hope they start hammering away at some of this stuff so that I get a chance to hit some of these areas while they are completely new without having to grapple with these issues getting in the way of it.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
Performance seems okay for me but can be quite stuttery at times when loading areas if you are sprinting through a town, this is with the game installed on a SSD.

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, when is rains in this game performance really holds up eh? A rock solid 12-15 FPS. Feel like the weather is radiating my x1x.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Just a few things to take care in.

Perks like Scrounger and Can do are not *passive* perks. They apply only to specific containers where you need to press a button to use them.

Sleeping on the ground is bad, even in a sleeping bag.

Kind of like Assassin's Creed there are certain high towers where you can survey the surrounding areas to mark them on your map

Status
Not open for further replies.