• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
I don't really know anything about Dreams but seeing this makes me wonder what would be possible on the dialogue front (i.e options, skill checks) and with objective/quest design.

Hazard71

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This reminds me of a more complex, upgraded little big planet. While a cool little concept of a game. Still had no meat as a full fledged game. It was just a bunch of basically demos. Still cool though.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
In a way I don't understand and can't explain this both upsets and mildly depresses me.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really know anything about Dreams but seeing this makes me wonder what would be possible on the dialogue front (i.e options, skill checks) and with objective/quest design.
There's really nothing in Dreams that will prevent you from doing things like dialogue trees and quests etc.

You aren't limited to prefab game styles or anything like that, the logic system is powerful enough to implement virtually any mechanic if you are clever enough. In the case of dialogue specifically - there actually is a prebuilt system to help build these, but you are totally free to ignore that and invent your own.

The hard limits are really:
  • How many elements can you place in the scene before you hit a thermo (aka Memory) limit. This makes it hard to do really large and detailed open worlds without splitting it up into multiple scenes (with a load screen inbetween).
  • Variables are required to save progress between scenes, but you can only have 128 variables (ignoring the fancy tricks you can do to exceed this number).
  • Can't do online multiplayer yet

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
hqdefault.jpg

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Really, really impressive. The modeling, the animation, the UI resemblance just the overall attention to detail.

....I probably wouldn't use Bethesda's actual Fallout 4 music, though.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I wish I had the creativity to make something in Dreams, but I would get stuck on what the heck to make. This is seriously impressive, I remember seeing what people did with LBP years after the fact. I can only imagine what years of experience in Dreams will allow people to make.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get what's the point of making worse and smaller copies of existing games but okay
Yeah I see so many threads of remakes

MM: you guys can make literally anything you want with this

every thread I've seen on ERA: *worse/more janky version of existing game*

I don't have Dreams but it'd be nice to see original content signal boosted once in a while

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017

I don't have Dreams but it'd be nice to see original content signal boosted once in a while
I love that your takeaway is that people would want to prefer these to their original counterparts and not that the responses are impressed by what they managed to accomplish versus a bespoke game using traditional development.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I love that your takeaway is that people would want to prefer these to their original counterparts and not that the responses are impressed by what they managed to accomplish versus a bespoke game using traditional development.
I mean yeah I get that, and maybe it's just a phase and people are doing this to show what's possible with Dreams, and later in its life more original content will get the spotlight

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I mean yeah I get that, and maybe it's just a phase and people are doing this to show what's possible with Dreams, and later in its life more original content will get the spotlight

tbf that's what gets shared a lot since it's interesting to discuss. If you scroll through the actual game it's far from the majority. And like you said there will only be more and more original stuff, it's a very new game

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting read ( not sure if posted):

IGN: A developer Review

From my experience, the biggest constraint in creating the kind of games I want to in Dreams is the sheer amount of data you need to store for large games. For my current project at Teazelcat Games, we're working on a narrative exploration game that has hundreds of lines of dialogue. In my previous role as the Technical Art Director for the Total War franchise, I would oversee games that featured battles rendering hundreds of characters all animating at once. As a massive strategy game, Total War also required a lot of AI coding to define how non-player controlled teams act during their turns.

There are limits to the size of the games you can create in Dreams. Storing all the assets for a single large game like the ones mentioned above would fill a PS4 hard drive, and there's a limit to the amount of CPU processing and RAM available for running a Dreams scene. Animated characters are one of the most costly asset types in Dreams, as calculations need to be made for each connection between moving parts. And the AI available, while very impressive as to what you can control and how quickly you can set it up, is limited.

but:

But there are so many other types of games Dreams can create really well. Platformers, puzzle games, experimental games, emotive experiences, graphic adventures, and simple shooters can all be made with this toolkit. Basically, if you can break your game down into smallish levels then Dreams is a wonderful game engine to use and is probably a lot faster to set up something that's playable and looks very good than using a traditional game engine and lots of different asset creation software.

Also funny Quote:

Video games are incredibly complex, so my assumption when starting out with Dreams was that no matter how cool it was, there's no way I could make the kind of game I want with it. However, as I moved from beginners to intermediate and then advanced tutorials I was gradually filled with a sense of fear - what have I been doing for the past 10 years?!

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019

There are lots of threads about original content made in Dreams, the most prominent probably being Ruckus.

If you owned Dreams you would even see that >90% of all games are new IPs.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As someone who got into the industry through LBP created content, can't wait to see what more comes out of Dreams with all the talent out there (and potentially get jobs from it)! Maybe one day I'll find the time to sit down and make something in here as well. xD

And for people who are wondering about all this copying or these "games" will never match up to the actual ones, from a creative standpoint, it's always fun seeing how far you can get with something creative like Dreams/LBP/etc. Of course, you need to keep your expectations in check whether or not you're creating or playing, but doing something like this without having to fire up your PC is still pretty cool. Dropping the barrier of entry to creating things like this is always great for the industry.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Perfect example of what Dreams is to me. It's an incredible achievement and I love watching it but have absolutely no desire to actually play it.

this is why its true purpose is being accessible across pc/tablets/phones like Roblox. It's main audience should be 3-15 year olds who don't game on a PlayStation already.

my 4 year old devours Roblox daily. He watches other kids YouTube videos about it. He knows about Minecraft and Mario and Pennywise and Batman only because of Roblox games.

I'm not saying there isn't value to admiring the creation side of Dreams, absolutely there is.

but if the goal is to actually have the creations be fun and playable to a wide audience, you aren't going to get that from the core PlayStation userbase. You are mostly just going to get intense admiration for creations that expertly mimic other existing games.

Very few ps4 gamers are actually going to fully play through this Fallout 4 recreation ( I imagine?) but I suppose that really isn't the point if Dreams right now, it's currently more of a showcase of user created possibilities.

Mar 29, 2018
This reminds me of a more complex, upgraded little big planet. While a cool little concept of a game. Still had no meat as a full fledged game. It was just a bunch of basically demos. Still cool though.
It's the same developer as Little Big Planet, over 10 years later. This is the latest evolution of their creative community tools and platforms. It's way, WAY beyond what Little Big Planet could achieve.

Apparently the core campaign is great and way better than LBP, too.