• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely insane, kudos to the maker and to the Dreams team for coming up with the building blocks to make this possible.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
This new Fallout 4 game is a huge step up from this, you can really see how they've improved at their craft and skill with the engine/game.
Sure, what I meant to say is that Robo was already a big creator on LBP, which as you say, was quite more limited in comparison. If the guy has willpower and time, imagine what he or similar dedicated users could do. A year from now Dreams will be in a very special spot.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
So it's been a while since I've looked into this game, but the last I looked into it there was a meter (Though pretty generous) that kept you from adding too many objects to a game (Similar to LBP). I'm assuming that's still the case, and if so, how feasible is it to create games like this with a level of depth/length? Are you able to transition players from one 'instance' of a game to another and pass player data? I'm seeing a lot of people try to recreate large games (The DK game comes to mind as well) but is Dreams really capable of it?

Still super impressive what people are doing in this. I can't wait to see what the games look like on the eventual PS5 version.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats really impressive.

Also part of me wonders considering how much more litigious some companies are these days compared to the LBP days, I wonder if some of them go after Sony / Mm over these tribute / fan games in Dreams.

I mean if a college student cant make 1-1 in Unity without a Nintendo lawyer getting in touch. I can only imagine what will happen when they see Mario is a Sony game

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So it's been a while since I've looked into this game, but the last I looked into it there was a meter (Though pretty generous) that kept you from adding too many objects to a game (Similar to LBP). I'm assuming that's still the case, and if so, how feasible is it to create games like this with a level of depth/length? Are you able to transition players from one 'instance' of a game to another and pass player data? I'm seeing a lot of people try to recreate large games (The DK game comes to mind as well) but is Dreams really capable of it?

Still super impressive what people are doing in this. I can't wait to see what the games look like on the eventual PS5 version.

The meter exists but you can swap between levels pretty easily as long as you remember to design around it. This Fallout Dream does just that with the environments it currently has.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Seems like a tool to get a job with a game company more than it is to make games lol.

Impressive as fuck.

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, the limitation is easy enough to circumvent. Just have someone load into a whole new level.

Only problem with a PS5 version is that every dream needs to be able to run on the base ps4. So theres some limitation there already.

Maybe they should have saved this for PS5 so they can future proof this.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
The meter exists but you can swap between levels pretty easily as long as you remember to design around it. This Fallout Dream does just that with the environments it currently has.

Got it, are you also able to pass player data (Inventory, health, etc.) between levels? Maybe I missed it in the video if it was shown.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a tool to get a job with a game company more than it is to make games lol.

Impressive as fuck.

Considering the kinds of programs you need to know like the back of your hand to make something like this outside of Dreams I'm not so sure. It's doable but not quite that simple

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Considering the kinds of programs you need to know like the back of your hand to make something like this outside of Dreams I'm not so sure. It's doable but not quite that simple

I just mean, if I'm a game company looking for capable and creative talent, I would recruit people who make stuff like this. Same reason I'm sure the best modders find jobs at game companies. If I'm making fallout and I see this dude, I'm thinking "wonder what they could do with our tools and support"

That kind of passion and dedication is rare.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just mean, if I'm a game company looking for capable and creative talent, I would recruit people who make stuff like this. Same reason I'm sure the best modders find jobs at game companies. If I'm making fallout and I see this dude, I'm thinking "wonder what they could do with our tools and support"

That kind of passion and dedication is rare.

That was kind of my point though. Passion is all well and good but Dreams gives you a streamlined toolset that also has a lot of depth to it without knowing a bit of C++ or any of the other major game making tools out there.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The problem I have with Dreams is that it's the gaming version of falling down an interdimensional rabbit hole. I keep stumbling across remakes and a slew new of creativity.

I challenge anyone to play this game and not come away with a backlog that grows day in day out.

Hats off to he team over at MM. Bravo guys! Fucking Bravo!

Yeah, for this reason and many more it's definitely a gaming 'YouTube'. Very easy, and enjoyable, to just rabbit-hole down a chain of varied, 'cool' things.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
I would love to make a game in this but my favorite console is the Switch and I doubt there will ever be a way to port the games.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was kind of my point though. Passion is all well and good but Dreams gives you a streamlined toolset that also has a lot of depth to it without knowing a bit of C++ or any of the other major game making tools out there.

In that sense I think it's a better or more accessible avenue to gauge people's creativity in game design, since technical or coding limitations aren't as present.

Mar 26, 2019
I would love to make a game in this but my favorite console is the Switch and I doubt there will ever be a way to port the games.
I wouldn't say that. Media Molecule has talked about exporting creations to other platforms in the past and its something they're working on. So maybe within 2-3 years when these games are fully done they can be released to the masses?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Media Molecule already stated they have no plans for PC, only keeping the game within the PlayStation ecosystem unfortunately.

They've talked about it coming to other platforms several times over the last year or two so unless someone has given a much more recent and definitive answer on the subject I don't think that's the case at all.

Aug 2, 2018
Why is Sony's marketing for this game so non-existant? Dreams has potential to reach minecraft numbers, but Sony is on some weird shit.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Really impressive.
Dreams seems to be a real good tool.

But it kinda looks like a copy and paste work, even if it isn't that and everything is created.

Why not make a game like fallout, but with a kinda different design?
But i understand that to show something off the fallout name and the strong resemblance kinda helps.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really impressive.
Dreams seems to be a real good tool.

But it kinda looks like a copy and paste work, even if it isn't that and everything is created.

Why not make a game like fallout, but with a kinda different design?
But i understand that to show something off the fallout name and the strong resemblance kinda helps.

Many people are doing just this but showing how flexible and powerful the tools are by recreating other big games helps garner attention to the product.

Mar 26, 2019
They've talked about it coming to other platforms several times over the last year or two so unless someone has given a much more recent and definitive answer on the subject I don't think that's the case at all.
I'm just going by this, and they mentioned allowing Dreams creations on other platforms, not specifically Dreams iirc.

"Despite rumours of PC versions of Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last Of Us Part 2, Healey said that a PC version of Dreams is not currently in development, but he implied that a PlayStation 5 was much more likely." - https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/14/dreams-will-playstation-5-not-pc-12239398/

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Does Dreams ONLY run in VR? What I mean is, can these creations be played without VR? If not, they should consider that. Would be awesome.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Does there need to be a thread for every dream game created. Put it in the OT. Clogging up the main page.

You're right this thread doesn't meet the ResetEra Gaming side thread quality standard and is taking up valuable server space from more threads about which company a corporation should buy, whether or not we are concerned with Sony's marketing strategies, and which gaming executive we'd most want to have lunch with (now with poll!)

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I wouldn't say that. Media Molecule has talked about exporting creations to other platforms in the past and its something they're working on. So maybe within 2-3 years when these games are fully done they can be released to the masses?
Yea I remember in 2013 there was chatter from some Media Molecule people that the end goal of dreams was being able to let players siphon off their creation from dreams and sell it as a standalone game that others can buy. Really curious to see how they plan to handle those games outside of the PlayStation eco system.