• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Many A True Nerd, a Youtube channel ran by a nice bloke called Jon and edited and managed by his partner Claire, is slowly approaching one of his most anticipated series of all time, Fallout 4 - You Only Live Once, where Jon will attempt to complete the Base Game of Fallout 4, and if he's successful, the various DLCs too, with absolutely no healing. That means to say, if the total damage taken by his character at any point exceeds his current maximum health, the playthrough will end. He's well known for doing this successfully in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but 4 presents his toughest challenge yet.

Over the last couple of years, Jon has began to feature various Video Essays on his channel, which started with Fallout 3 Is Better Than You Think. Despite Fallout New Vegas being his self-confessed favourite game of all time, he often felt that Fallout 3, and Bethesda Game Studios themselves, didn't get the credit they were due for the title, especially once New Vegas came along. There's a thread for that original video here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/fallout-3-is-better-than-you-think.42335/

So, the point of the thread is, In the run up to Fallout 4 YOLO, Many a True Nerd has declared the Season of Fallout 4, with an also anticipated follow up to his original Video Essay, Fallout 4 Is Better Than You Think.

There's plenty to disagree or agree with here. But it's worth taking a look because it is extraordinarily well made. It's an hour and a half long and contains various spoilers for most Fallout Games and their DLCs. It's also Part 1 of what I can only guess is a Two-parter.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i love MATN so much and i loved his Fallout 3 is better than you think. gonna give this a watch very soon buuut i'm not inclined to agree very much.

also this is Part 1 lmao the madman

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed his other videos and with how much I love Fallout 4 I'll definitely be watching this later.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think Fallout 4 is a fine game. Perhaps a very good™ game. It mainly suffers from being nowhere near as good as the king Fallout 3. Which was definitely a little disappointing.

Will enjoy watching the vid.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I started playing Fallout New Vegas for the first time quite recently.

Loving the experience so far, especially how dialogue and choices are handled. As far as I remember, a lot of that choice is just stripped back from Fallout 4.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I have the fallout 4 game of the year edition, played 2 hours and quit :( I don't know why, it just wasn't holding my attention.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited to check this out, but no argument will be able to convince me that it's not a fundamentally flawed game. Voiced protagonist ruins the entire dialogue system

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Queued to watch later. I love Fallout 4, not as much as Fallout 3/NV, but I thoroughly enjoyed it the same (and probably spent way more hours due to the settlement stuff).

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I enjoyed Fallout 4, but my experienced paled in comparison to Fallout 3 and New Vegas. No disrespect to the author of the video, but I don't think my 30-40 hours of personal experience of the game will be overruled by an explanation of why the game is better than I "think" it is. I know how much relative enjoyment it gave me.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree but am always down to watch a well made essay on video games, which this sounds to be, so will definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It really depends what you are looking for.

I argue the settlement system as implemented in the game bogs things down and isn't implemented so well in terms of the sheer slog of getting resources and mixing it in with the story and making a lot of the quests tedious and repetitive, but largely the game play is great.

As a narrative story game and Fallout game they shit the bed and clearly got bored of it themselves with the lazy writing and endings in many places, much of the game boils down to the same stuff no matter what illusionary choices you make.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
No, it's really not. I liked Fallout 3 and NV both a lot more. The disappointment was worse because I'm originally from Massachusetts.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Thats a long video for a lazy sunday morning, so I don't know their arguments yet. But I bought the game at release on PS4 and then the GOTY edition on PC.
I loved mostly everything about it bar the voiced main character, the main side characters. I thought the story was alright, but exploring the world was what kept me going through it, and why I bought the game again on PC (better framerate and graphics). Their engine upgrade graphics wise was amazing, and gameplay changes like weapon upgrades, building things with your junk resources, and making power armour a seperate thing to equip kept me immersed and coming back for more.

The music was great also, and I hope Inon Zur is in line for TESVI.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Fallout 4, Dark Souls 2, Bioshock Infinite

The holy trinity of my favorite games Era hates.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
No, it's really not. Recently decided to give it another shot and my opinion might now be even lower of it than at launch. And I even tried it with mods.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
Watched some of it and jumped around the video, it seems that there is a lot of "well, Fallout 4 does thing in this way, but look how the game from 1990s did it!", which I don't see as a good argument.

Fallout 4 sucks.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah it is an great game, I have 310 hours according to steam, I have done multiple playthroughs. Still not as many hours I have in Fallout Vegas though

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I spent 20-25 hours in it, and no. Fallout 3 and especially 4 are oddly bland games despite their setting and series pedigree. Bethesda should stick to Elder Scrolls.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay. I didn't hate it or anything. I've still been meaning to play through the DLC but just haven't got around to it yet.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 4 was fine, but the game was not ambitious enough in its changes to live up to expectations.

Fallout 3 completely reinvented the series. New Vegas honed the design presented in Fallout 3, but since it was farmed out to another team and given a subtitle rather than being called "Fallout 4", it sent the message to fans that the true Fallout 4 would once again reinvent the series in some way. In the end, it just felt like another iteration on Fallout 3. The gameplay additions like settlements and crafting were not really much more advanced than things you could do in mods of Fallout 3 / NV, the dialogue system felt like a step backward, and the core gameplay felt pretty much the same - especially if you use VATS.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
took me 2 years to start playing properly...once I did and I had all the DLC...150 hours later...I think the games great!

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I strongly disagree when met with the Bioware dialogue wheel and with the first encounter with the DeathClaw

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
Bethesda made the world look great and it's very fun to explore but FO4 is where their gameplay loop fails. They just don't have enough different ideas for gameplay (or narrative for that matter) in the Fallout sphere and 4 becomes exceedingly repetitive. They honestly feel constrained by the trappings of Fallout far more than in ES where they can basically make anything happen. I consider VR the best way to play FO4 anymore since physically performing the shooting yourself makes the core loop much more engaging.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I wish it was. But for me, the game is really not good.
There aren't many games that I regretted buying, but this is definitely one of them.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
It was a good enough game for what it was but I found it to be a pretty poor rpg.....and I really wanted it to be a great rpg experience.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
fallout 4 was the game where bethesda just went too far with streamlining - so much so that roleplaying was actively affected by it. The voiced protag, the simplified skill system, the more focus on cinematic narratives - its a good game, I enjoyed it, but its kind of a one and done, whereas I can boot up skyrim today and still get somethig new out of it despite having played it for hundreds of hours.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I did enjoy fallout 3 and absolutely adored fallout New Vegas, I will give it a go as part of the PS plus collection on the ps5

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Agree, the big problem with this game is the main problem with every Bethesda game: the story and combat aren't very good. Everything else is aces, IMO, and a big improvement on 3. I don't mind the dialogue system either.

We were never gonna get New Vegas 2.0 from this developer and when you put that expectation at the back of your mind the whole thing really works.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I started it yesterday because of all the Fallout talk after the acquisition. I LOVE Skyrim, so let's see.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
It's a good game if you ignore the main story.
Couldn't agree more.

Bethesda's strength has always been free-form and emergent gameplay. Their weakness has always been writing. I completely understand people preferring New Vegas, because they prefer it for the story and dialogue quality. But Bethesda's games are unmatched in exploration and side content quality, and Fallout 4 really raised the bar there with the Settlement system. It entirely depends what you want from the games of course, but for those of us who love free-form sandbox gameplay, that Settlement system was fucking crack.

jonasvutt

Jan 17, 2018
No, I don't think it's a good game. It's just OK at times. I recently read that people are feeling better for Fallout 4 because TOW wasn't that great, but I don't agree. I was really disappointed with both. Fallout 3 and New Vegas? Loved them, hopefully Microsoft will let Bethesda and Obsidian work together again.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Couldn't agree more.

Bethesda's strength has always been free-form and emergent gameplay. Their weakness has always been writing. I completely understand people preferring New Vegas, because they prefer it for the story and dialogue quality. But Bethesda's games are unmatched in exploration and side content quality, and Fallout 4 really raised the bar there with the Settlement system. It entirely depends what you want from the games of course, but for those of us who love free-form sandbox gameplay, that Settlement system was fucking crack.
Yeah, that's what I think. Character design is still good and world storytelling is very good too. The games misses more emblematic quests, but some sides were decent. Like you said, Bethesda big strength is in exploration, side content and world-building, and I think they did a good job for this in Fallout 4.