• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Thats the point though. It would be silly otherwise. Imagine going to an auction where everytime you bid you have to cough up that money even if you didnt win.
"Yes, I'd be willing to donate 10k to charity! Oh that's not enough? Well fuck 'em then." These are companies, not individuals. Ironically, I've seen a bunch of charity auctions and giveaways, where you absolutely do make the actual donation as your bid, but again, those aren't aimed at companies.
I mean, it would be very bad optics to bid and then not follow through.Im not sure what you want out of this situation.
The question was literally are they actually donating this money or just bidding. I don't know how to make that more clear, and if it's still not clear, then I can only apologise.

AllStarPig

Jul 7, 2020
"Yes, I'd be willing to donate 10k to charity! Oh that's not enough? Well fuck 'em then." These are companies, not individuals. Ironically, I've seen a bunch of charity auctions and giveaways, where you absolutely do make the actual donation as your bid, but again, those aren't aimed at companies.

The question was literally are they actually donating this money or just bidding. I don't know how to make that more clear, and if it's still not clear, then I can only apologise.

I think it's clear, it's just not clear why you and others in the thread with the same thought process would expect a bunch of companies to line up to make donations to not get a skin in this game. You're correct to say that the way it's being done is to the benefit of the companies, but it would just be dead in the water otherwise, right?

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's clear, it's just not clear why you and others in the thread with the same thought process would expect a bunch of companies to line up to make donations to not get a skin in this game. You're correct to say that the way it's being done is to the benefit of the companies, but it would just be dead in the water otherwise, right?
It sounds like you perfectly understand the situation, but just don't see it as a problem. I think it's distasteful to offer a charitable donation if x happens. That distaste increases exponentially for brands that 100% can afford to meet their "bids" using the opportunity as nothing but marketing, with no intention of making those donations without it essentially working to purchase the skin. That's me, that's how I feel about those doing this. I'm not all asking nor expecting you or anyone else to feel the same.

AllStarPig

Jul 7, 2020
It sounds like you perfectly understand the situation, but just don't see it as a problem. I think it's distasteful to offer a charitable donation if x happens. That distaste increases exponentially for brands that 100% can afford to meet their "bids" using the opportunity as nothing but marketing, with no intention of making those donations without it essentially working to purchase the skin. That's me, that's how I feel about those doing this. I'm not all asking nor expecting you or anyone else to feel the same.

I mean, Mediatonic is essentially the one making the donation though. Whichever company or whomever bids highest is paying for this skin, just not to who they normally would. I guess I just see this as big companies doing as big companies do, with Mediatonic in this case making some good use of it.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Mediatonic is essentially the one making the donation though. Whichever company or whomever bids highest is paying for this skin, just not to who they normally would. I guess I just see this as big companies doing as big companies do, with Mediatonic in this case making some good use of it.
Good on Mediatonic. Doesn't change my feelings about a bunch of brands bidding donations. You can feel whatever way you want about it.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017

Which companies have made a bid they weren't going to follow through on?

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
This is amazing... pretty genius, having that public faced Donation bid war. More companies should do this.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a shame if something lame like Ninja wins, I want people to know about my butthole.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Jesus, people. A lot of money is going to a charity, who cares if a company temporarily gets some positive PR from making a bid? Each time they do it the charity gets more money. Let's just enjoy a good thing for a minute without becoming immediately indignant.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So until then it'll just be [brands] dickwaving for attention. Should tell them it doesn't count as a "bid" until they donate and just bother with verifying after the fact. None of these "bids" mean anything right now.
Special Effect is going to receive a huge ass donation, which at this rate could easily reach a million dollars or more. This donation would not have happen if it wasn't for this campaign.

Huge ass donation to charity > No huge ass donation to charity. That should be all that matters in this case. But apparently not, because you're too woke for that.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I will say this... it's a good thing and I am glad it's happening and some people are being way too sensitive, BUT - I do think it's shitty when a company outbids another by $0.69 because that does reek of a free PR move.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I will say this... it's a good thing and I am glad it's happening and some people are being way too sensitive, BUT - I do think it's shitty when a company outbids another by $0.69 because that does reek of a free PR move.
You are missing the point. Yes - companies are getting free PR. A lot of these companies know that since it's an early bid, they aren't actually going to have to spend the money since some other company will outbid them for sure.

But so what? The whole purpose of this charity campaign is to take advantage of the fact that companies really like good PR in order to ultimately get a huge ass donation for Special Effect. So companies obviously rush to get their bit of free PR but while that is happening a huge donation is being cooked up in the process. What's the issue exactly?

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
You are missing the point. Yes - companies are getting free PR. A lot of these companies know that since it's an early bid, they aren't actually going to have to spend the money since some other company will outbid them for sure.

But so what? The whole purpose of this charity campaign is to take advantage of the fact that companies really like good PR in order to ultimately get a huge ass donation for Special Effect. So companies obviously rush to get their bit of free PR but while that is happening a huge donation is being cooked up in the process. What's the issue exactly?

I understand and agree with all that. I was arguing the same thing in this thread. My point is that it seems tacky for someone to just buy a small amount over the existing highest bid. Someone could keep saying +$0.01 every time they get outbid, but really they should be beating the previous high bid by af least $1,000 or so.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I understand and agree with all that. I was arguing the same thing in this thread. My point is that it seems tacky for someone to just buy a small amount over the existing highest bid. Someone could keep saying +$0.01 every time they get outbid, but really they should be beating the previous high bid by af least $1,000 or so.

that might encourage a bigger brand to wade in with a much higher offer

honestly this ideally needs an Amazon or google to outbid everyone else and therefore get more money to charity

Oct 27, 2017
Special Effect is going to receive a huge ass donation, which at this rate could easily reach a million dollars or more. This donation would not have happen if it wasn't for this campaign.

Huge ass donation to charity > No huge ass donation to charity. That should be all that matters in this case. But apparently not, because you're too woke for that.
Ok, thanks for your input. I've got no qualm with Mediatonic, or their plan, I've made my point of view clear, not that you care. I didn't come here to argue. I asked a question, got my answer, elaborated what I'd like to happen, and got yelled at for it. Several times already. It's a complete conversation at this point that you still wanted to winge about, for some reason.

I'm done responding to this, so you can either figure out how to deal with someone not falling over themselves to praise this situation, or find someone else to fingerwag at.

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020
Ok, thanks for your input. I've got no qualm with Mediatonic, or their plan, I've made my point of view clear, not that you care. I didn't come here to argue. I asked a question, got my answer, elaborated what I'd like to happen, and got yelled at for it. Several times already. It's a complete conversation at this point that you still wanted to winge about, for some reason.

I'm done responding to this, so you can either figure out how to deal with someone not falling over themselves to praise this situation or find someone else to fingerwag at.
Please stop. your reply comes across as really self-centered and I don't think that's your intention. it's not about what you like to see happen, its about the fact that they are getting this charity donations. How they do it does not matter at all, it should not even be a point to argue or talk about.

Last edited:

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
I really hope that bidet company wins, I want to run around in a shirt that says "ask me about my butthole" and peach head.

Oct 27, 2017
Please stop. your reply comes across as really self-centered and I don't think that's your intention. it's not about what you like to see happen, its about the fact that they are getting this charity donations. How they do it does not matter at all, it should not even be a point to argue or talk about.
Yeah, sure thing bud. It's not self-centered in anyway to keep insisting on dragging my post after already explaining myself like a half dozen times though.
Read the rest of my posts in here. I've outlined my view on the situation; it hasn't changed. If they don't satisfy you, read this post again, then go back and read all the other posts again. This conversation is a circle, and this is it begins and ends here.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT

RedPanda

Alt-Account
Banned
May 28, 2020
Yeah, sure thing bud. It's not self-centered in anyway to keep insisting on dragging my post after already explaining myself like a half dozen times though.
Read the rest of my posts in here. I've outlined my view on the situation; it hasn't changed. If they don't satisfy you, read this post again, then go back and read all the other posts again. This conversation is a circle, and this is it begins and ends here.
there is 0 reason for you to attack other members who share their opinions on something you wrote, but it seems you did this with other people who commented on your post and now your doing it with me, so conclusion: you never really wanted a reply on your post, you just wanted to post it on an open forum and just expect everyone to accept it, if that's what you want sure. have a good day.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I still kinda feel like I want KFC to just bid a million so nobody can beat them just so I can run around as a bucket of chicken.