• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Turns out the fun of a br game wasn't shooting or hiding in a bathtub. It was dozens of other people all scrambling over one another for a single goal

that scrambling could manifest as shooting one another, but it could also be driving, playing Tetris or, in the case of Fall Guys, running and jumping. and what's the best running and jumping in video games?

Super Mario 3D World.

But now that complaints about a nonexistent oversaturation of br games has been shouted down by the millions of purchases of Fall Guys, what next?

This certainly proves something more conventional like Zelda: Royale of the Wild is a perfectly cromulent endeavor, and perhaps some other prominent, traditionally single-player series gets a br mode to really capitalise on what is clearly more than a mere trend—it's now a staple of gaming

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Finally Super Mario 128's time to shine

4cf.png

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Proof that BR is here to stay happened a couple years ago. That doesn't make FallGuys any less cool.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Just like Nintendo tackled a shooter with Splatoon I truly wish Nintendo tackles Battle Royal in a fun way.

I have always thought a Hide N' Seek themed Battle Royale would be ingenious and Nintendo would be the one to do it.

You can have a normal mode where one person is it and needs to eliminate others. YOu can also have a zombie mode where the people you can join up.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The fanmade Mario BR that Nintendo shut down was so much fun when it worked.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Base it off of 3D World and bring back the Double Cherry

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Kirby Air Ride already kind of did this. I preferred it without player interaction though. That's what I don't like about battle royale though, the player vs player aspect.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Well i got into fall guys because I dont want to run around shooting everyone. Well that and all the endless building stuff like in Fortnite.

Just gave fun games with heaps of players where you dont need guns.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Given what Nintendo did with a shooter and, more recently, Tetris, I'm 100% down for their take on a BR game, yes.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Imagine if Nintendo had made this game leveraging their IPs and released it on PC as well... 20 million sales in the first month, EASY!

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We definitely need more BR's like Fall Guys that are just goofy minigames instead of shooters.

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
It's such a fun game. Im absolutely loving it.

Nintendo really should be watching this. There's so much potential, and they love anything that could promote Nintendo Online. There's some serious cash cow potential in a Nintendo Battle Royale.

Though, with how hit and miss their online services can be, who knows if it would work out, or is even really feasible. Mario Maker 2 online is still largely unplayable to this day, with only 4 players on screen at a time, over a year after release.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
The obvious solution for a Nintendo Battle Royale already exists in the form of TF2Ware:

Basically multiplayer warioware where instead of doing quick 2d microgames you're in a 3d space with like 30 other people and are asked to do random things in a short time limit or are thrown into quick competitive minigames. Most points at the end wins. Nintendo could easily copy this and double the number of players.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Never mind Battle Royale Super Mario or Battle Royale Mario Party, we should get Battle Royale Mario Kart for Mario Kart 9.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
There was a very fun Mario royale game on PC, but Nintendo Ninjas took care of it

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The obvious solution for a Nintendo Battle Royale already exists in the form of TF2Ware:

Basically multiplayer warioware where instead of doing quick 2d microgames you're in a 3d space with like 30 other people and are asked to do random things in a short time limit or are thrown into quick competitive minigames. Most points at the end wins. Nintendo could easily copy this and double the number of players.

This made me want battle royale prop hunt. Thanks a lot.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Right after the mario moba and the mario Destiny like...

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
As long as they break away from the shooter-focused formula, by all means.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
BR was always here to stay. If people didn't figure that out with PUGB, then they should have with Apex Legends or Warzone. The appeal has always been competing against 60-100 other people.

That being said, Fall Guys is ok. Debating a refund. Didn't launch with enough imo.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Turns out the fun of a br game wasn't shooting or hiding in a bathtub. It was dozens of other people all scrambling over one another for a single goal

Duh.jpg

BR was always here to stay. If people didn't figure that out with PUGB, then they should have with Apex Legends or Warzone. The appeal has always been competing against 60-100 other people.

Basically this. 50+ and even 100+ multiplayer have been the dream since at least the turn of the century. It's what attracts people to MMORPGS and games like Battlefront, it's what games like MAG tried to sell themselves as. Shooters were one of the easiest genres for this to flourish in since "shoot everyone dead, be the last one standing" is so basic of a goal, but it would've inevitably emerged.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
They should just take a bunch of Mario party minigames and shove it with online. But they'll charge $59.99 for it lool

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Fall Guys isn't a battle royale game though.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think it's indicative of any trend in battle royales. I think it succeeded because the concept itself is great and sorely underused, regardless of the player amount. The fact we haven't seen a good take on the Takeshi's Castle genre until now is kinda nuts.