• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
The cool skins need to be unlocked with crowns from wins. I can see why this would annoy people.

fair enough. But it shouldn't get in the way of having fun. If you lose you queue right up again and start over. I guess I'm not very motivated to buy stuff with crowns. I only have 7 so far

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Cause its not anything other than estimates based off Trophy data from PSN and yeah Steam spy does take achievement data in its calculations.

Well, yeah that's my point. They both get their estimate in similar ways.

But one is a for sure thing in era, while the other ...must have some sort of weird issue in their algorithm.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
It is simple enough that my partner who doesn't play games got to the final round a few times. I can see why it is having success.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, but how does this work for the devs? I assume Sony paid them a flat amount for it to be free on PS Plus. Do the devs get additional money if it hits certain benchmarks? I'd guess no, but really have no clue.

Given the success on PC it sounds like they could have done much better by charging for it on PS4.
10 million plus people paying for micro transactions means the devs and Sony make bank on it. Anything extra outside of what's given to you that you pay for. I'm playing Rogue right now, 40% of the characters are unlockable but you can pay to unlock them.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To put this in perspective... two weeks after Fortnite Battle Royale's launch (on PC, Xbox One and PS4), Epic announced it had been played by over ten million players.
So, if you add in the two million Steam copies sold, and we can officially declare Fall Guys is bigger than Fortnite.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Game stats numbers in the initial months have been near to sales number released

Stream spy number look off as ever announced 2mil 2 days back

3 mil in 2 days is impossible
Not really. Fall Guys was in the top 5 global sellers on steam days before it launched there as there was a preorder period for it. It was also in beta on PC and PS before launch so that helped in the marketing and hype buildling for it.

Steamspy has been close to being reliable with the recently released games like Persona 4 Golden, SoT, Fall Guys, etc. Ofcourse it can be off sometimes as well but thats just how it goes but anyways, the 2M estimate wasn't off but the 5M one might be unless we get a new sales update for fall guys and they reveal the PC sales post the 2M sales date.

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a blast with this game...Got this game free with ps+ but bought 2 dlcs to show support for the developers...

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Well, yeah that's my point. They both get their estimate in similar ways.

But one is a for sure thing in era, while the other ...must have some sort of weird issue in their algorithm.
Eh honestly the more you post things like this, the more people start to question about it. This is the first time gamestat has been used to reference player numbers on Era so it takes time for people to realize stuff and ask questions about it. Steamspy has been used for ages as a reference to sales on PC on Era for years now.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Game stats numbers in the initial months have been near to sales number released

Stream spy number look off as ever announced 2mil 2 days back

3 mil in 2 days is impossible

I doubt the numbers are real time. It takes time for them to be updated. Depending on the updates, it could have been more than three days for the numbers to tick up. Same for the announcement. Was it 2 million a few days before it was released when the announcement was being worked on, or when they actually released it?

It did officially sell 2 million in less than 6 days. And it seems, given by the concurrent numbers, that sales have been growing, not slowing down.

My only take is that the Steamspy numbers don't seem to be super off. I wouldn't be surprised if Steam is close to that estimated 5 million figure.

I also don't doubt that OP's estimate is far off either. It's just funny that it's the same methodology but somehow one is defacto more accurate than the other.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Eh honestly the more you post things like this, the more people start to question about it. This is the first time gamestat has been used to reference player numbers on Era so it takes time for people to realize stuff and ask questions about it. Steamspy has been used for ages as a reference to sales on PC on Era for years now.

True! Just pointing it out. I doubt either is super accurate, but I also doubt either is super off.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, but how does this work for the devs? I assume Sony paid them a flat amount for it to be free on PS Plus. Do the devs get additional money if it hits certain benchmarks? I'd guess no, but really have no clue.

Given the success on PC it sounds like they could have done much better by charging for it on PS4.
Apply the same way gamepass works and you'll have your answer....actually if you understand gamepass model then remove Sony and ps plus and swap it with MS and gamepass

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of those just one more round games for me. I hate it and love it secretly. Hopefully more games and rounds come quickly. And I'm hoping the net code and loading improves on ps5 series x.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Does Sony pay the companies that put their games on Plus by the number of downloads or is it a flat fee? Curious how much money they are making from PS4 versus PC.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If one million of those players buy at least one DLC item, it's already a win for both sides.

May 7, 2020

Yeah i dont know why devs use numbers of players as some succesfull metric.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Does Sony pay the companies that put their games on Plus by the number of downloads or is it a flat fee? Curious how much money they are making from PS4 versus PC.

I don't know, but whatever it is, I'm sure Sony got a hell of a deal on this, because I can't imagine anyone would have predicted it would be this huge whenever they inked this deal. Hopefully the developers are seeing a good payday either way though.

Oct 30, 2017
This is one of those just one more round games for me. I hate it and love it secretly. Hopefully more games and rounds come quickly. And I'm hoping the net code and loading improves on ps5 series x.
Faster loading (aside from the title screen) won't exactly mean much if we gotta be waiting for all the last gen folk! :P

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even with it being available on PS+ for free, 8 million is staggering especially for an indie title. Can't imagine games like Disc Jam, Hardware: Rivals or even Rocket League saw that amount of players in their first week.
Rocket League was at 5+ million after 4 weeks across PC/PS4. Install base/pandemic situation is way different than 2015 obviously but still impressive. The belief that Sony doesnt foster indie success takes another hit.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Those things definitelly helped, but even being "free" (you have to pay for PS+ after all), i'm still kinda surprised how many players there are. Not every game see that many players even being free :) Personally, i end up playing maybe less than 10% of all the games that PS+ offers (unless i've already played them earlier, before they became a part the PS+ offerings). Its closer to a 45 million larger userbase by the way, since you need PS+ to play this (i think).

Agreed and I guess I sounded like I was trying to downplay it. It also has a fun aesthetic and great game play compared to most BR style games on the market right now. But I think that BR as a whole is just a great concept. It feels like actual competition as opposed to the traditional multiplayer grind. I hope more games adopt BR modes and more genres try it out.

Again, congrats to the devs!

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
It's a super cool fun game to drop in and out off and doesn't require a lot of skill. I'm glad it's doing as well as it is.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
The belief that Sony doesnt foster indie success takes another hit.

I think you're not getting the argument though. This argument usually comes from like 99% of indies that, you know, don't get a deal from Sony to have their game featured on their online store and made available for free, while still getting some sort of payment.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it. Game is like crack. PS+ giving this out must do wonders via FOMO among PS4 players too. Congrats to the team

Grindlefly

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno how when you cant get a game. Its a shame but I have found this unplayable for a week. In the rare occasion I get into a game im always disconnected before the final round. A real shame as me and kids loved the look of it

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Not surprising, it's infectiously fun. It's also far more lasting to casuals than Rocket League which is also a ton of fun, but for which skill really starts to differentiate player tiers. Here, I don't think there's much skill differentiation as there's so much luck involved and simple controls/moves.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Best Battle Royale since Tetris 99.

This game needs to get on Switch, Xbox and mobile, and soon. They've got a hot one on their hands.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
So, if you add in the two million Steam copies sold, and we can officially declare Fall Guys is bigger than Fortnite.

Well it has been more popular than Fortnite on Twitch a lot of the time since release, but I guess we'll see if it can maintain that popularity.

And technically on Steam it's already roughly at the average monthly revenue for Fortnite PC from last year, but once sales level off, I don't think its microtransactions would be able to keep up the revenue stream.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I really need to dig into this deeper. Way too busy with life right now but can't wait! If they can continue supporting this with new courses and skins they can build on that early momentum.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
my brother, who only plays online MMOs was on Fall Guys for like 2 hours, yesterday. lmao

The second I saw it's announcement trailer, and had a chance to play in it's beta. I knew it was going to blow up way past what was expected.

i wrote it off until I saw actual IRL friends trying to get into the beta... that's when I knew it would hit. LOL

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Still not sure how they are related. It makes more sense to believe that the beta keys/and twitch promo was more impactful for steam audience. Most streamers on this game play on pc.

They would have said that if it was. And on steam it's 20€.
Still makes zero sense to say "its bigger on psn" with zero numbers to back you up.
Sir your dinner is ready
eating-crow.jpg