• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lot's of this complaint, oddly all from one group.
Yeah. From the group that wants to talk about MSNBC fucking with polling numbers due to a very likely bias. You know, what this thread is about?

But instead we're waiting for the anti Sanders squad to wear themselves out after seeing a thread with Sanders in the title.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. From the group that wants to talk about MSNBC fucking with polling numbers due to a very likely bias. You know, what this thread is about?

But instead we're waiting for the anti Sanders squad to wear themselves out after seeing a thread with Sanders in the title.

What do you expect from an incredibly flimsy OP, that can easily be explained by unpaid interns and not some grand conspiracy against Sanders by the media.
How does he expect to win the GE if this is a huge deal?

Do you SEE the shit some other candidates deal with?

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Curious how virtually all of the people who say things like "these BernieBros are only supporting him because they're racist and sexist" either stayed silent about or outright supported their own party smearing a black Muslim woman in a way that literally helped endanger her life. Really makes you think

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, coming into a thread about fudging polling numbers and posting about a 1972 article that was walked back does seem strangely like derailing doncha think?

How so?
It goes to Sanders making women uncomfortable.

Sorry if it's inconvenient for your narrative.

Curious how virtually all of the people who say things like "these BernieBros are only supporting him because they're racist and sexist" either stayed silent about or outright supported their own party smearing a black Muslim woman in a way that literally helped endanger her life. Really makes you think

Now this, on the other hand, is derailing.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
How so?
It goes to Sanders making women uncomfortable.

Sorry if it's inconvenient for your narrative.

That has literally nothing to do with the topic. You derailed the conversation with your own personal narrative and for what? To let us all know you don't like the guy? Ok I guess. There's also the option of not posting anything at all if you don't want to stay on topic.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
That has literally nothing to do with the topic. You derailed the conversation with your own personal narrative and for what? To let us all know you don't like the guy? Ok I guess.

I did not bring up the other story that has to do with MSNBC.
But even that is relevant to a degree.

There's also the option of not posting anything at all if you don't want to stay on topic.

Who is backseat modding?

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this is fine too. I find it fascinating that we're so tribalistic now that a decent percentage of posters will completely ignore a very serious issue in our media to shit on a person a bit left of them like he's goddamn Trump himself.

What do you expect from an incredibly flimsy OP, that can easily be explained by unpaid interns and not some grand conspiracy against Sanders by the media.
How does he expect to win the GE if this is a huge deal?

Do you SEE the shit some other candidates deal with?
Go off King

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
MSNBC do better. Bias against any candidate is not a good thing and when it gets called out, hopefully it leads to it happening less. Also Era do better. This thread is a shit show.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this is fine too. I find it fascinating that we're so tribalistic now that a decent percentage of posters will completely ignore a very serious issue in our media to shit on a person a bit left of them like he's goddamn Trump himself.

Go off King

"Very Serious Issue"
omg

You have no perspective on this issue.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Just ignore Suiko. It's better for your mental health

Go off King

Just ignore them. They're in here to stir shit up and bring nothing to the conversation. Save yourself some mental stress.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
"Very Serious Issue"
omg

You have no perspective on this issue.
The OP lays out a consistent pattern of behavior that curiously only seems to effect a single candidate, and you blame it on unpaid interns making mistakes.

Who's the one who needs some perspective?

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
The OP lays out a consistent pattern of behavior that curiously only seems to effect a single candidate, and you blame it on unpaid interns making mistakes.

Who's the one who needs some perspective?

It's a pattern without evidence of cause.
It becomes a "Very Serious Issue" if, for example, Sinclair Media was directing local stations to fudge Bernie's poll numbers or run hit pieces on certain issues. Oh wait, something like that actually happened, and there was evidence of it.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
You're absolutely right

The only solution is for everybody to stop watching cable news or any form of mainstream media

That'll show em

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
You're absolutely right

The only solution is for everybody to stop watching cable news or any form of mainstream media

That'll show em

I don't remember the last time I turned on any cable news, now that you mention it.
Maybe the 2016 GE debates?

They don't have the influence your local station does, or nationally, the nightly news from CBS/NBC/ABC.
I'd argue internet media probably has more influence than cable news anymore.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
d
The Bernie conspiracies are starting up already and he hasn't even lost the nomination yet? Not looking forward to when he does lose it.
What a totally logical take to an article clearly evidencing fraudulent numbers designed to make Bernie look worse. Seriously what the fuck even is the point of this post?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pattern without evidence of cause.
It's called reasoning.

If this were simply interns making mistakes, we would expect to see the effects spread out across multiple candidates. The fact that it seems to disproportionately effect one candidate implies that there is intent.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I read the article. There are too few examples, and a rebuttal by the campaign comms director doesn't necessarily settle things. But I will say these:

- Sanders is definitely getting less focus this time, as more candidates (and more women) running make the race more exciting than just Sanders vs. one other person. Even if the figures were correct and the list order adherent to descending-number order (like it was just a moment ago while I type this), this is just how it is this time and Sanders has the challenge to be more visible.
-MSNBC frequently has on former Clinton campaign members, true. But they bellyache far more about the general election than about anything from Sanders, they turn out not to be the best panel or spot guests IMO.
- Mistakes happen. Even this article got someone's name wrong. Sometimes a mistake is a mistake even with other stuff going on.
- As for any corporate-level stuff, most of the candidates would make the highest-paid people there "worse off" via taxes or regulations or supporting legislation or healthcare or what have you.
- Plenty of MSNBC guests are attracted politically to other candidates like Buttigieg, but not just at the expense of Sanders. As the race tightens I expect former intel and judicial members to lean further into their preferring men over women.

Candidates get the best coverage when they a) poll the best, b) are very very available to the media, and c) have a broad but ever-shifting range of messages. Crowds don't seem to matter - the media doesn't cover most protests and no longer really covers Trump rallies either. They know the candidates can (and perhaps think they should) come to them. Sanders, to his misfortune or to his credit depending on circumstance, currently doesn't offer any of those three things.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Glad to see another Bernie thread go as usual, with constant shitposts and non-sequiturs.

Conspiracy or not, MSNBC fucked up their polls. It won't cost Sanders the election. Biden existing will most likely do that.

That said, holy hell some of you guys have come out of the woodwork to shit this thread up.
its so obvious, what the fuck happened to this community

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a surprise, someone makes a thread about a corporation going out of their way to frame things against Bernie Sanders and that oh-so-special part of ERA that everyone loves came in, gaslit everyone that observed basic facts and screencaps, shit up the thread with irrelevant content, and now get snippy when everyone that tried to discuss the actual topic gets pissed.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a surprise, someone makes a thread about a corporation going out of their way to frame things against Bernie Sanders and that oh-so-special part of ERA that everyone loves came in, gaslit everyone that observed basic facts and screencaps, shit up the thread with irrelevant content, and now get snippy when everyone that tried to discuss the actual topic gets pissed.
Seriously. Shame on all these people. It's embarrassing to be a part of this community sometimes.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But Bronx-Man! Why follow the topic when I can blame the left for everything wrong in politics!?!

/s

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe people would like him if he were less shrill. He should also stop wearing those rumpled clothes and try to smile more.
He could stop sticking and shaking his damn finger in everyone's face for a start. The skin crawl comment is one I normally see. People like to dismiss it instead of looking at why it actually gets said. There is a reason why people land on that and it has a lot to do with how he personally acts and sounds. His mannerisms to a lot of people that aren't supporters produce negative reactions. That's not a current thing. It was an issue and a thing back in 2016 as well. We all know a person at school or work or life in general where you and others around you just don't get a good vibe from and they haven't done anything actually wrong to you but how they act, sound, etc is super off putting to you. Sanders is like that for a LOT of people.

Now MSNBC does fuck up polls like this. They were doing to Harris a few weeks back as well. They completely left her off some fundraising charts when she was #3. It was Biden, Sanders, her, and Mayor Pete in that order and she wasn't included. It was back when outlets were falling in love with Pete based on really nothing and had kicked Beto to curb.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Bernie supporters are getting their excuses for losing the nomination ready early, I see.

Not everything is a conspiracy - lots of people just don't like Bernie that much, especially since multiple candidates are running that can give us Bernie's platform without Bernie's baggage.
The Bernpression complex continues.

He's not going to be the nominee. Deal with it and stop blaming everyone but his finger-wagging sexist ass, bruh.
Is the stuff in the OP just supposed to be handwaved away?

Oct 25, 2017
1. 49 < 48
Result: Sanders goes from second to "fourth" place.

MSNBC made a handy graphic for a poll on July 7 that showed 2020 match-ups against Trump among Democratic voters. The list was in descending order of candidates' polling numbers—except for Bernie Sanders, whose name is placed under Warren's and Harris's, though he polls higher than both of them. (If the list is ordered by the margin between the candidate and Trump, Sanders would be in third place, behind Harris.)

MSNBC-Math-2020-Matchups-768x433.jpg
Isn't it possible that it's ordered by margin and Sander's is actually less than Warren's, but that's obfuscated by rounding?

Anyway, yes the media in general has been ignoring Sanders:

2019_thru_7-21.png

That's a graph on how much larger a candidate's share of 15-second clips in cable news is during a week vs. their polling that week. Sanders actually had his strongest showing since April last week.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I read the article. There are too few examples, and a rebuttal by the campaign comms director doesn't necessarily settle things. But I will say these:

- Sanders is definitely getting less focus this time, as more candidates (and more women) running make the race more exciting than just Sanders vs. one other person. Even if the figures were correct and the list order adherent to descending-number order (like it was just a moment ago while I type this), this is just how it is this time and Sanders has the challenge to be more visible.
-MSNBC frequently has on former Clinton campaign members, true. But they bellyache far more about the general election than about anything from Sanders, they turn out not to be the best panel or spot guests IMO.
- Mistakes happen. Even this article got someone's name wrong. Sometimes a mistake is a mistake even with other stuff going on.
- As for any corporate-level stuff, most of the candidates would make the highest-paid people there "worse off" via taxes or regulations or supporting legislation or healthcare or what have you.
- Plenty of MSNBC guests are attracted politically to other candidates like Buttigieg, but not just at the expense of Sanders. As the race tightens I expect former intel and judicial members to lean further into their preferring men over women.

Candidates get the best coverage when they a) poll the best, b) are very very available to the media, and c) have a broad but ever-shifting range of messages. Crowds don't seem to matter - the media doesn't cover most protests and no longer really covers Trump rallies either. They know the candidates can (and perhaps think they should) come to them. Sanders, to his misfortune or to his credit depending on circumstance, currently doesn't offer any of those three things.

Six is a decent number of examples. Too many examples for them all to be mistakes that fault Sanders specifically but I suppose that's subjective. What's not subjective is that they'll let "analysts" like Mimi Rocah say shit like that skin crawling thing and no one on the panel questions her about it. MSNBC giving Sanders less coverage because he doesn't draw their viewers in as much as other candidates is understandable, but their coverage on him clearly trends towards hostility.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just the beginning of the lows that Comcast owned MSNBC and many others will sink to in order to ensure Bernie Sanders is not the next president of the US.

Pay attention. They almost all do shit like this to paint pictures that have nothing to do with reality. They will try and choose your president for you. Don't let them.

Things they do is ignore, pick polls/manipulate them so that they agree with what they want you to see, paint pictures and narratives (for example Sanders is always losing support, and he's always angry and grumpy), to go along with that the pictures they use will be of Sanders being angry because that's all he ever is. He's grumpy and old and angry and that's all that matters and don't you forget it. Oh yeah and black people also don't like him so if you're black you should be like other black people and also not like him. And on and on and on. It's all complete bullshit. Tomorrow there will be another negative opinion piece that you should definitely agree with.

If you don't like the guy, cool. Just make sure you're deciding that for yourself.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is just the beginning of the lows that Comcast owned MSNBC and many others will sink to in order to ensure Bernie Sanders is not the next president of the US.

Pay attention. They almost all do shit like this to paint pictures that have nothing to do with reality. They will try and choose your president for you. Don't let them.

Things they do is ignore, paint pictures and narratives (for example Sanders is always losing support, and he's always angry and grumpy), to go along with that the pictures they use will be of Sanders being angry because that's all he ever is. He's grumpy and old and angry and that's all that matters and don't you forget it. Oh yeah and black people also don't like him so if you're black you should be like other black people and also not like him. And on and on and on. It's all complete bullshit.

If you don't like the guy, cool. Just make sure you're deciding that for yourself.
People need to train themselves on media literacy. It's so goddamn important in this new era of information. Always question who's telling you what and why. ESPECIALLY when you find a media source that has biases that appeal to you the most. The assumption should be that, despite coming from a reputable or trusted source, they're putting a spin on the information even if it's subtle.

But that's probably a pipe dream since a lot of people can't get all the way through a headline before posting their hot take.

Edit: Shit this thread made me tired and angry. I'm getting offline lol. Also, to the mods, could you please give the people who did meaningless drivebys warnings so they'll maybe think twice before shitting up another thread with Sanders in the title? They've successfully derailed every single thread that involves Sanders and it's toxic for actual discussion.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Six is a decent number of examples. Too many examples for them all to be mistakes that fault Sanders specifically but I supposed that's subjective.him clearly trends towards hostility.
Are these the only mistakes that they've made with the graphics, or have there been other mistakes that disadvantaged other candidates or went in the opposite direction that simply weren't noticed or pointed out? Would anyone even care enough to point out if an MSNBC guest said something uncharitable about Joe Biden? My issue with interpreting this as proof of some secret corporate anti-Sanders agenda is there's no indication this comes from an objective overview of MSNBC's coverage and we all know there is a certain segment of Sanders supporters who are hyper-attuned to what they perceive as bias against their candidate.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: misrepresenting moderation
Edit: Shit this thread made me tired and angry. I'm getting offline lol. Also, to the mods, could you please give the people who did meaningless drivebys warnings so they'll maybe think twice before shitting up another thread with Sanders in the title? They've successfully derailed every single thread that involves Sanders and it's toxic for actual discussion.
They won't because they support the shitposting.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I'm not a Bernie supporter, but it's absolutely disgusting to see this bullshit again on the news. This is why people don't trust the media. They're always trying to pull a fast one.

Bernie is a fine candidate, it is annoying to see him downplayed so much. And on this site, I have no idea why Bernie brings out such hatred.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Irrespective of if you like their policies or not there is a definitive media bias against sanders , it's messed up, I like some of his policies but that's irrelevant the media and internet ( google reddit etc) manipulation in the USA is bonkers and as an outsider so blatant it's crazy

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they should have just used Tyler's Model and given sanders some more retroactive momentum in their coverage.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are these the only mistakes that they've made with the graphics, or have there been other mistakes that disadvantaged other candidates or went in the opposite direction that simply weren't noticed or pointed out? Would anyone even care enough to point out if an MSNBC guest said something uncharitable about Joe Biden? My issue with interpreting this as proof of some secret corporate anti-Sanders agenda is there's no indication this comes from an objective overview of MSNBC's coverage and we all know there is a certain segment of Sanders supporters who are hyper-attuned to what they perceive as bias against their candidate.

Shit I'm not going to watch a bunch of MSNBC to find out. But I think the point is that this goes beyond being uncharitable. If someone criticized Biden on his segregation comments then no one would bat an eye because that's a valid criticism despite being uncharitable. The problem is they're doing Sanders dirty with the shit like "(Sanders) makes my skin crawl" or botching the poll graphics multiple times. If they pulled that kind of stuff on other candidates you'd hear about it. Sanders fans might be "hyper-attuned" but there's precedence for that. We lived through 2016 with all the opinion articles and all the pundits not taking him seriously or actively trying spread distrust and we're still seeing the same shit. I'm sure there's plenty of instances of a percentage of Sanders fans making mountains out of mole hills due to feeling persecuted by the media, but this isn't one of those instances.

They won't because they support the shitposting.
I doubt that but I'll message one of them about it.