• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
This all sounds promising and all. But I'm not sure the Factor 5 people remember even exists anymore.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though because Rogue Squadron 2 was a technical masterpiece in my opinion.

Last edited:

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
Watch the full interview. It's long. Julian says EA actually doesn't have that much say in it. From the way he describes it, it's more on Disney and Lucas Arts, and maybe a little bit from EA.

Thats good if EA doesnt want to make Switch games then I dont see why they would stop someone else from doing it, they may get some money off it without doing any work

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
N64 Indiana Jones had realtime lighting missing on the PC version.
Rogue Wii's cancellation really destroyed the team. There were people who retired from the game industry due to it. It was the worst time of Julian's life.
I have two thoughts on this. One, Indiana Jones N64 is a really neat game and I wish more people knew about it. It is stupidly buggy and unfinished, but it's a remarkable game. I detest its meme reputation as a "bad" game. Bugs aside, it's a fantastic Indiana Jones experience, and generally vastly superior to the PC version.

Two, Lucasarts reportedly did not treat Factor 5 very well. In addition to killing Rogue Squadron Wii, there's an allegation from a former Midway developer known as "Tanooki", where he talks about finding the Indiana Jones booth at E3 and talking to the single, unhappy developer manning it. What he says is not 100% accurate in terms of the game's tech (it runs at 30fps with dips), but his information is otherwise considered solid because he is indeed a Midway employee who attended E3 (based on other stuff he posted on forums where sold a lot of Midway merch over the years), and he casts Lucasarts in a rather negative light. Indiana Jones N64 was a passion project for Factor 5, but Lucasarts cared about those lucrative Star Wars tie-in sales and screwed the entire project over. It's a great shame that it's a flawed gem instead of the N64 Factor 5 swan song that it deserved to be.
screenshot-2017-11-11k2ktq.png

http://www.nesworld.com/n64list-game.php?gameid=751

Last edited:

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rumor has it Patrick Soderlund has two altars in his office.

One to sacrifice game developer jobs to please shareholders
The other to sacrifice used loot boxes in a ritual to doom Nintendo

Good luck getting EA to greenlit anything for Switch.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Apologies if this sounds dickish, but what is Factor 5 even these days? Are there any employees? My impression was that Julian has a german company that owns Certain rights (website lists 2013 copyright), but that was more or less it? They don't seem to have released anything in years from what I can find...

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Rumor has it Patrick Soderlund has two altars in his office.

One to sacrifice game developer jobs to please shareholders
The other to sacrifice used loot boxes in a ritual to doom Nintendo

Good luck getting EA to greenlit anything for Switch.

Where does his son, whose middle name is Luigi, fit in all this?

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apologies if this sounds dickish, but what is Factor 5 even these days? Are there any employees? My impression was that Julian has a german company that owns Certain rights (website lists 2013 copyright), but that was more or less it? They don't seem to have released anything in years from what I can find...
Factor 5 does not exist any more as a game developer but the founder and a few key staffers still have some sort of legal holding company that owns the rights to the software, tools and prototypes that they had created.

When Factor 5 dissolved Jullian secured all the prototypes and other valuable software that the company had created up until that point. So he basically has a treasure chest containing builds of Rogue Squadron for Xbox, Rogue Squadron for Wii, Pilotwings Wii, motion control demo's for GameCube etc. .
However, since the Rogue Squadron stuff is Star Wars licensed he can't actually do anything with it. But if he managed to secure some sort of deal with EA or Disney on the Star Wars IP and found some people to retool the Wii build for Switch he could release it.

'Certain rights' seems to be a perfect name for a holding company that owns only certain rights to the game due to Star Wars licensing issues. I remember he also got sued by Lucas Arts and former staff for transferring Factor 5 property to a different holding company making Factor 5 itself worthless.

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
God, this would make me so happy. But since EA is holding the rights to Star Wars games now, this seems like an impossible feat to achieve :/

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I wonder why he can't provide any comments on the Kid Icarus project?

makes me think that there is an Icarus project in development for Switch?

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamnit please find a way to make this happen, it doesn't matter the console or just like annonimously leak the final game please? PLEASE.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think this would be a hit if it was released on Switch. A shame that's just wishful thinking, though. EA would never allow it.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time I heard of this game. Would have loved to play it on the Wii :(. If the game was finished, are there any trailers of it?

Edit: I did find footage on youtube, looks really cool. Who in their right mind would cancel something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-X8C_8nJQ4

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
i would also love to see rogue squadron on switch ... very much. loved that game, still hold on to my cube because of it.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, like, yes, do it like yesterday!

Factor 5 X Nintendo needs to happen again!
If only Nintendo had a franchise heavily influenced by Star Wars that features fighting in space.

Factor 5 rethinking the conventions of Star Fox would be something.

Last edited:

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Just two words from Emperor "The Senate" Palpatine: "DEW IT."

Seriously I'd be too pumped for these guys to do another Star Wars game.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

Watch the video. They exist. They now work on apps for devices. They work with Hulu now.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Fascinating interview. I had no idea Rogue Wii was a thing, much less a finished product.
Watch the video. They exist. They now work on apps for devices. They work with Hulu now.
Plus one of their (lead?) artists works at Pixar now. Julian seemed pretty confident about putting the band back together though.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea Factor 5 still existed. Thought Lair killed them.

From what Julian said in the interview, they still exist on paper, and most of them work together at Hulu these days. There's no active studio, but right now they're in a state where if they wanted to pull the trigger, they're in a better situation than most to get the band back together.

Watching footage of the Gamecube version running on Dolphin, it holds up pretty well. If the Wii version had better assets, and if Factor 5 did some more tinkering on things like lighting on the Switch, it could be a beautiful game.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I wonder if there's actually any chance that this could happen. I wonder if Julian will actually pursue this, it honestly sounded on NVC like he either is trying or might start trying - especially when he was asked about his relationship with Nintendo at the moment and he couldn't comment. If there was nothing going on, wouldn't he just say "we're still close" or "we don't communicate so much anymore"?

The game is finished, and it sounds like he and the rest of Factor 5 that are still around would be willing to put work into making it HD to port it to Switch. I wonder how much it would take for Disney and Nintendo to be like "let's do it" without EA's involvement...

Fuck. I just really want this. So damn bad.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely sure how the hell they coule convince Disney to let it fly, but I feel like if anything could successfully launch the nominal "Star Wars: Legends" line (the current name for the old EU), a Rogue Squadron collection would be it.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
If not, they should finish We Fly and release it on the Switch. Do we have any Factor 5 people on this forum now?

Let them know We Fly also looks fantastic.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not entirely sure how the hell they coule convince Disney to let it fly, but I feel like if anything could successfully launch the nominal "Star Wars: Legends" line (the current name for the old EU), a Rogue Squadron collection would be it.
I mean, if anything it'd be a super low cost thing for Disney to green light because all they'd be doing is up-resing the already-existing models. It should be a "why wouldn't we do this?" scenario. If anything it'll be lost in politics. Who gets how much of a cut, etc. etc. Back then Lucas Arts was prepared to give Factor 5 a huge part of the profits because they self-funded the project (which partially led to their bankruptcy) - I wonder if Disney would be willing to do the same.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if anything it'd be a super low cost thing for Disney to green light because all they'd be doing is up-resing the already-existing models. It should be a "why wouldn't we do this?" scenario. If anything it'll be lost in politics. Who gets how much of a cut, etc. etc. Back then Lucas Arts was prepared to give Factor 5 a huge part of the profits because they self-funded the project (which partially led to their bankruptcy) - I wonder if Disney would be willing to do the same.

For Disney I suspect it really is the matter of pushing the idea of one true canon which stipulates that to understand the whole universe you need consume every piece of 'major' media that comes out. That Rebels is worth watching as it officially, no two ways about it, bridges the two film eras. That Battlefront II is worth playing because it helps you understand how the Rebellion finally triumphed over the Empire after ROTJ.

The thing is, Rogue Squadron's various games rely on a wholly different preconception of what canon was, and so cannot be released under the auspices of simply being yet another Star Wars game to slot in alongside, well, the likes of Battlefront II. So they would have to be convinced of the merits in actually putting the 'Legends' name to use, which well, they might not see as worth the effort if it might potentially confuse customers as to what's actually canon or not (vs just having the name but never actually releasing any further material for it).

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For Disney I suspect it really is the matter of pushing the idea of one true canon which stipulates that to understand the whole universe you need consume every piece of 'major' media that comes out. That Rebels is worth watching as it officially, no two ways about it, bridges the two film eras. That Battlefront II is worth playing because it helps you understand how the Rebellion finally triumphed over the Empire after ROTJ.

The thing is, Rogue Squadron's various games rely on a wholly different preconception of what canon was, and so cannot be released under the auspices of simply being yet another Star Wars game to slot in alongside, well, the likes of Battlefront II. So they would have to be convinced of the merits in actually putting the 'Legends' name to use, which well, they might not see as worth the effort if it might potentially confuse customers as to what's actually canon or not (vs just having the name but never actually releasing any further material for it).

That's a fair point, but I'm not even really sure "customers" in general are worried too much about whether or not a video game is canon. I know Star Wars geeks (like myself) are, but at the end of the day, they could even just market the game as a re-release/remaster of a game that was supposed to come out a while ago and that would sort of make the whole notion moot anyway. Or they could label it "Rogue Leaders: Legends" which would be kinda cool too.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair point, but I'm not even really sure "customers" in general are worried too much about whether or not a video game is canon. I know Star Wars geeks (like myself) are, but at the end of the day, they could even just market the game as a re-release/remaster of a game that was supposed to come out a while ago and that would sort of make the whole notion moot anyway. Or they could label it "Rogue Leaders: Legends" which would be kinda cool too.

Oh, I agree, and it's a fairly simple solution to rectify if they made it quite emphatic that this was a rerelease/remaster of non-canonical content, but well, I don't envy whatever staff member at Disney would have to convince their managers of that point.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I agree, and it's a fairly simple solution to rectify if they made it quite emphatic that this was a rerelease/remaster of non-canonical content, but well, I don't envy whatever staff member at Disney would have to convince their managers of that point.
True...fuck, I wish I knew someone at Disney personally so I could be like "hey, make this shit happen please" lol.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
If it ever gets released I'd buy it.
I actually just re-bought a copy of Rogue Squadron II and a Gamecube controller so I can play it on my Wii.

Sucks the cancellation hit the team so hard. They must have really put their heart and soul into it.

Sonichunter

Oct 25, 2017
What a great day, could this get any better?
"Reads Thread"

Wait Factor 5 is back?
"Googles"
Aaaahhh Yeah!

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Loved listening to the episode of NVC this came up in. Factor 5 basically defined a significant portion of my childhood, so count me in for anything these guys manage to put out if they can get the band together and it sounds like Julian at the very least is itching to get back into the games world. To call them anything short of technical wizards is a gross understatement when you read up on what black magic they were conjuring to get the level of graphical fidelity they did with their games. If they manage to get the team together, then man...

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
There was also a pitch by BlackForestGames at one point, to do another TURRICAN.
https://imgur.com/gallery/kp4OS

Would love to get one, still in 2.5D but with nice next-gen terrain and prop destruction, awesome lighting and vfx, 2 player co-op possibly