• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I would pay a large amount of money if they used Kickstarter to fund a Switch version.

I really don't see EA, Lucasfilm, or even Disney paying any attention to this but I really hope that one day it actually happens.

I LOVE the Rogue Squadron series.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would be a fine dream if it weren't for EA. Goddamn EA. I hate that company so much.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don' know, maybe this would be something to throw some goodwill in EAs/Disneys direction, especially with Battlefront II making all the wrong kind of news.

Could be the right time to push for this. An announcement for 2018 alone would probably be enough to make fans look in that direction instead of BFII's mess.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I would quit death sticks for this to happen.
2017-11-21.gif

on topic... I am so glad factor 5 is alive again... I can't wait to see what they end up doing.

Last edited:

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Rogue Squadron on Switch would be a dream come true. Those were magnificent games, specially Rogue Leader. Except the corridor level, fuck that ambush.

I'd get it day one. My only option to play it now is to mod my Wii U to allow it to play my ripped GC games, I should get my butt working on that.

Oct 31, 2017
  • Rogue Squadron Wii was considered Factor 5's best work, ever.
  • Rogue Wii's cancellation really destroyed the team. There were people who retired from the game industry due to it. It was the worst time of Julian's life.
Dream project would be to port Rogue Squadron to the Switch. Everything was done for the game. It's a complete game. They only need to up-res it.

Why was the game cancelled in the first place then ?

Erock

Oct 28, 2017
Hilton Head, SC
Did some of you guys even watch the video? The big take aways here are the core team of Factor 5 all has "day jobs" but are still together and up for doing something again as a studio......And as far as the unreleased RS Wii goes, it has very very very little to do with EA's say so, it's between Disney and Factor 5. Fantastic news and something they clearly want to get on Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Still saying that they should do some collaboration with Nintendo. Kid Icarus could have been their great opportunity but they decided to make some silly "edgy" changes to Nintendo's plans and ruined the whole project (although it would be interesting to see a KI from them).

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Had the game for Gamecube. Was a lot of fun, it was for Gamecube what Star Fox 64 was to the N64 (for me, anyway). It would be cool to see the game on Switch. A high res/ higher draw distance would be enough, I think.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why was the game cancelled in the first place then ?
Lucasarts were making a number of strange decisions during that period. They also cancelled Free Radical's Battlefront 3.

Contrary to popular belief, Battlefront III wasn't anywhere near finished. But FR were hitting all the milestones set for them.

But LucasArts began to press hard on other, less quantifiable, issues. "Stalling tactics," says Graeme Norgate. "If a publisher wants to find something that is wrong with a milestone, it's very easy for them to do so as there are so many grey areas within a deliverable. If the contract says, 'Graphics for level X to be release quality,' who can say what's release quality? And there you have it."

"LucasArts hadn't paid us for six months," says Norgate "and were refusing to pass a milestone so we would limp along until the money finally ran out. They knew what they were doing, and six months of free work to pass on to Rebellion wasn't to be sniffed at." Part of the eventual agreement between LucasArts and Free Radical saw certain assets passed on to Rebellion Studios. For a time LucasArts was tempted by the thought of a hastily put together Battlefront 3, but nothing came of it. When presented with the allegations put forth by this investigation, LucasArts said simply that it does not comment on rumour and speculation

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-free-radical-vs-the-monsters

edit:

I just noticed that reference at the end of that internal video about "Tregenza's pasties". That's almost certainly referring to Ross Tregenza, who was an audio designer/composer at Free Radical/Dambuster Studios. He composed some of HFTR's music and did a lot of weapon sounds and stuff He's working on Star Citizen currently. Anyway, on another note, Lucasarts' game division did collapse a few years later, so Free Radical did have their revenge.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
How difficult would it be to make a "spiritual successor" to Rogue Squadron without any Star Wars references? (I've never played the game.)

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
Wow! Just hearing about this, i can't believe they had a finished game for wii which they all think was the best rogue squadron ever made but nobody will ever see it.
To cause people to quit the industry for good, and after the game being fully finished... must have been something special.

Oct 28, 2017
HD trench run is worth all my coin. Please i'll buy whatever other game the needs to be greenlighted to make this happen.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
They have a quality game already finished that can sell very well on a Nintendo platform.

Can we making something to convince EA to publish that game?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I updated the OP. Turns out there's a huge interview along with some new footage of Rogue Squadron Wii.

• Talks about Super Turrican, and how the game was cut down to 4 megabits back in the day.
  • They wanted to release a director's cut of Super Turrican back on Virtual Console, but Iwata forbid it. Iwata wanted games released like it was originally. Might be due to lack of QA for the director's cut that prevented it.
  • Talks about why the Super NT is a very accurate SNES clone, and how Super Turrican director's cut ended up being released for that.
  • Talks about some of the ports they did back in the day. Porting Contra 3 and Animainacs on the GB.
  • N64 Indiana Jones had realtime lighting missing on the PC version.
  • People thought the Gamecube was underpowered back in the day until they saw Rogue Squadron.
  • Rogue Squadron Wii was considered Factor 5's best work, ever.
  • Rogue Wii's cancellation really destroyed the team. There were people who retired from the game industry due to it. It was the worst time of Julian's life.
  • The X-Wing on the Wii version uses around 30,000 polygons. Close to the current gen models.
  • Battle of Hoth combines Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike into one stage or something. Says it's the best Hoth battle ever made.
  • Had global illumination and other crazy effects running on the Wii.
  • Dream project would be to port Rogue Squadron to the Switch. Everything was done for the game. It's a complete game. They only need to up-res it.
Fuck man... :(

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It was disheartening listening to him talk about the project on NVC. He's still so sure of it's quality after all this time, but unlikely it'll ever see the light of day.

ThatGuyJangle

Flashbulb Games
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
His refusal to comment about his relationship with Nintendo around this point is quite interesting - https://youtu.be/JDRkIAFxmrQ?t=3010 He can't comment about his relationship with Nintendo/their pitches for Kid Icarus and Pilotwings and then seconds later says he was visiting in Kyoto... Hmm!

Especially given that 10 minutes-ish early when asked if Factor 5 still existed he said they did and they're doing stuff.

Could it be they have a Nintendo project in the works?

Last edited:

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I would become religious if it meant Rogue Wii and the rest of the series ported to the Switch.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Jim Ward years of Lucasarts were a mixed bag for me. It always felt like they would have been more succesful had they released many of the cancelled projects. The Rogue Squadron trilogy for xbox and then subsequent Wii remake rumors always saddened me when they didn't come to fruition.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I don't think this will happen unfortunately. I have a feeling EA's contract is so restrictive, limiting and expensive they can't really afford to experiment with that IP.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
2017-11-21.gif

on topic... I am so glad factor 5 is alive again... I can't wait to see what they end up doing.

lmao. That's perfect.

Man I wish Nintendo had bought out Factor 5 before they went under. They did all their best work on their consoles and fill a niche that Nintendo themselves don't cater to.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If only Nintendo had a franchise heavily influenced by Star Wars that features fighting in space.

Factor 5 rethinking the conventions of Star Fox would be something.
I wish there was a semblance of conventions in Star Fox, all the games in the series are vastly different for one reason or the other. They'd surely create a competent basis to reference and improve upon over the years if anything.

Nintendo should try to license their less used IPs to competent devs like Factor 5 or Shin'en (F-Zero), or simply hire them to develop for them. That would help these small devs grow as well.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
You know: Disney just might bite on getting this on, to help move on from the PR and brand licensing failure that was Battlefront 2. If Disney made this happen, it would be monumental to have an actual Star Wars games along with their movie(one that doesn't attribute them to leading kids into gambling). It would also make a huge amount of sense to release it with the Han Solo movie that is coming next year.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny to see how much better the starfighter combat looks in this compared to the EA Battlefront games. You get this sense of speed that matches that of the movies in Factor 5's games, but the fighter gameplay feels much slower and sluggish in the EA/Dice games. Even the original BFII gave you a better sense of control and speed for the starfighters.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
I would pay a large amount of money if they used Kickstarter to fund a Switch version.

I really don't see EA, Lucasfilm, or even Disney paying any attention to this but I really hope that one day it actually happens.

I LOVE the Rogue Squadron series.

Define large.

Imagine if Nintendo acquired Factor 5 to revive them to full capacity like in the past

Maybe they could merge with Shi'nen. Both smaller, German devs.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know Battlefront 2 is very flawed, but they nailed the star fighter combat. If you are seriously hankering for Rogue Squadron check it out.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be a good inclusion if Wii VC ever happens on Switch. Actually a lot of Star Wars games would on SNES and N64 too.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly it will never happen because EA would rather you spent money on loot boxes in Battlefront. "You want the best fidelity Star Wars game experience? Try our starfighter mode in Battlefront!"