• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
So I've been trying to keep up with the PS5 news with the console launching, and ran into this article from a few days ago:

www.thegamer.com

You Can Play PS5 And PS4 On The Same PSN Account At The Same Time

If you have two PS4s and plan to get a PS5, I have some good news for you.

I was trying to look around to see if there was more on this, but this seems to be the only article mentioning this as a feature and even then some of the comments do have me a bit skeptical. However, now that the console's out we can actually verify this ourselves. So to anyone who has kept their PS4 after bumping up to the PS5, have you tried this, and does it work? It'd be a big game-changer for me if it does.

(For the record I did post this in the OT but it's naturally getting lost in all the hubbub, and I figured this was worth its own thread anyway.)
It's true. We do it at our home

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I always see people trying to use their own account for their kids/gf/whatever. Just make them a new account. If your friend's son's PS4 is your friend's home PS4, then his and all other users accounts have full PS+ and game privileges on your friends account shared with them.
It's in part because a lot of progress/unlocks are usually in the main account. So the recipient has to start over and unlock everything. But you are correct on how it should be properly done.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It doesn't work when trying the same game at the same time. Fall Guys was booted up on the PS5 in the living room and my son was trying to boot it on his (family) account on the PS4 in the guest room. It would kick off the other person off saying "I signed on onto another console" or something like that. Oh well.

Both PS5 and PS4 can be primary at the same time. You can add a second PSN account on one of the consoles and play the same game at the same time. You can't have the same account be logged in the same time, but since both consoles are primary, you don't have to: you need the primary account just to download the game. After that, just make a different account and play.

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
Both PS5 and PS4 can be primary at the same time. You can add a second PSN account on one of the consoles and play the same game at the same time. You can't have the same account be logged in the same time, but since both consoles are primary, you don't have to: you need the primary account just to download the game. After that, just make a different account and play.
Maybe I should delete my post that you quoted because on Nov 15th I figured out (and posted) it was my auto login that was messing everything up.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe its been answered, but can you have the account as Primary for both the PS4 and PS5 at the same time?

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My xbox does this and it bugs me lol I'll be on my wife's xbox then when we play destiny together I try booting it up on my xbox and it kicks her off cuz my account is still logged in and im technically trying to start the same game on the same account on 2 xboxes at once and it doesnt like it.

if were both playing different games though the xboxes dont seem to care that im logged into both. (This is base xb1 btw)

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
A few things that I learned these days.

You cannot play on the same account the same game.

Exemple 1: I tried to play CoD Black Ops on PS4 and PS5 on the same account (different versions, not the backwards compatible). I couldn't pass from the Activision Login with the second console (first in plays the game).

You cannot play PS4 games on PS5 if someone is playing on a PS4 with your account.

Exemple 2: I left my PS4 Pro at a friend's house during the quarantine holidays, he was playing Ghost of Tsushima. When I started Cyberpunk (which is a PS4 game) the PSN prompts a message saying: "Someone started a PS4 Game on another console"

We both started spamming this message several times until my friend gave up.

FIX: You can play if you disconnect one of your console from the internet if you are Primary (of digital). If playing physical discs just disconnect the console from the internet.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It's in part because a lot of progress/unlocks are usually in the main account. So the recipient has to start over and unlock everything. But you are correct on how it should be properly done.

Yeah that's why I always suggest just from the beginning. If you've got kids, create a gmail for them and give them access to it when they're older.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is the case with Xbox? I handed my XB1S down to my son, set as my home console so he can play my gamepass and bought games, but does that mean I can't set my XSX to primary? Haven't tried it yet as I don't want to mess up his console

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I don't think this is the case with Xbox? I handed my XB1S down to my son, set as my home console so he can play my gamepass and bought games, but does that mean I can't set my XSX to primary? Haven't tried it yet as I don't want to mess up his console
They are different generations, so I think it's fine. Problem is that I don't think he can play with your account on the 1 while you play with your account on the X. You can't be "you" twice on the network.