• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
If both PS4 and PS5 are connected to the internet and using the same account you CANNOT play at the same time.

I was playing Genshin Impact on my PS5 while my bro booted up Downwell on our PS4 and it kicked me out of my Genshin game saying another game was started using my profile.

We had to take the PS4 offline for us to play at the same time. Pretty annoying of we wanted to play online games at the same time. Any way to do this?
They're both ps4 games though, what about playing a ps5 game and a ps4 game? Seems people have said that works. When ps5 is doing BC, I'd expect it to fully act as a ps4 and naturally that would kick someone who was signed in to the accoutn on a ps4.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It doesn't work when trying the same game at the same time. Fall Guys was booted up on the PS5 in the living room and my son was trying to boot it on his (family) account on the PS4 in the guest room. It would kick off the other person off saying "I signed on onto another console" or something like that. Oh well.
But that because you were trying to play the same game with the same profile.

Fall guys is an online game and your profile gets items and stuff playing, you cant play against your same character.

You can play the same game in both consoles with different profiles

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If both PS4 and PS5 are connected to the internet and using the same account you CANNOT play at the same time.

I was playing Genshin Impact on my PS5 while my bro booted up Downwell on our PS4 and it kicked me out of my Genshin game saying another game was started using my profile.

We had to take the PS4 offline for us to play at the same time. Pretty annoying of we wanted to play online games at the same time. Any way to do this?
Use another account in the ps4? The games are installed in the console, not the account

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah I was playing my PS5 last night while my wife was watching Netflix on our PS4 in the living room at the same time. Good stuff.

brb

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
They're both ps4 games though, what about playing a ps5 game and a ps4 game? Seems people have said that works. When ps5 is doing BC, I'd expect it to fully act as a ps4 and naturally that would kick someone who was signed in to the accoutn on a ps4.

Oh my. I didn't even think about this! I just tested with Genshin on PS4 and Demon's Souls on PS5 (both online games) and it works! You are a genius and saved me a headache and a half.

OP
OP
Watchtower

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Fall Guys is actually a good example, since it's a popular multiplayer game but also not F2P.

I give my sister my PS4. I have my PSN account already, she makes a new one for herself. She doesn't have PS Plus, we instead set up console sharing so that she can access my library.

Can she play Fall Guys? And can we both play Fall Guys together?

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
My son was playing Miles Morales on my PS4 using my account while I played Demon Souls so it works.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I believe they are seen as 2 separate consoles and both can appear as a primary console under your PSN account.

I wish this was the case too with the Series S|X and the Xbox One but it seems like there, you can only have one of them be your home console.

Fall Guys is actually a good example, since it's a popular multiplayer game but also not F2P.

I give my sister my PS4. I have my PSN account already, she makes a new one for herself. She doesn't have PS Plus, we instead set up console sharing so that she can access my library.

My guess is yes. You could probably even remove your PSN account from the PS4 and it'll still work, as long as the PS4 was designated as the Primary PS4 under your account.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Yes and yes. She can play Fall Guys because you bought it (or got it from ps+). and that ps4 is your home ps4. You can play together because she is using her account on your home ps4 and you'll be using your account on your ps5 in ps4 mode (another ps4 would work exactly the same).

I played fall guys with my son, both on ps4s. I have ps+, he doesn't. His is set to be my main ps4. My pro lets me use my games and play online because I'm a subscriber. "My" regular ps4 that's actually my son's in the living room lets him play my ps4 games and play online because it's my home machine. If he goes in on my accounr, I get booted.

As long as the ps4 with your sister is set to be your home ps4, any account logged in on that will be able to play online and play the games your account has installed (and also obtain others of their own and use the online access). Your ps5 signed in to your account would be able to play online with the ps4 with any account on there bar yours. Also, what you can't do is play games on the any of these machines with the same account when there's an online sign-in, such as Fall Guys, as only one instance of your account would be allowed to talk to their servers.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I think some people are not realizing that the article is specifically talking about TWO PS4 and a PS5. Not just one PS4. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

So basically, adding the PS5 doesn't affect the two game sharing PS4 at all. The same rules stay in affect, so one PS4 has to be played on the main account. Can all 3 be playing on PS+ at the same time? I assume not since two would be on the same account

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
But that because you were trying to play the same game with the same profile.

Fall guys is an online game and your profile gets items and stuff playing, you cant play against your same character.

You can play the same game in both consoles with different profiles
Not true, he has his own account / user ID but is under my family plan so he can online.

OP
OP
Watchtower

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and yes. She can play Fall Guys because you bought it (or got it from ps+). and that ps4 is your home ps4. You can play together because she is using her account on your home ps4 and you'll be using your account on your ps5 in ps4 mode (another ps4 would work exactly the same).

I played fall guys with my son, both on ps4s. I have ps+, he doesn't. His is set to be my main ps4. My pro lets me use my games and play online because I'm a subscriber. "My" regular ps4 that's actually my son's in the living room lets him play my ps4 games and play online because it's my home machine. If he goes in on my accounr, I get booted.

As long as the ps4 with your sister is set to be your home ps4, any account logged in on that will be able to play online and play the games your account has installed (and also obtain others of their own and use the online access). Your ps5 signed in to your account would be able to play online with the ps4 with any account on there bar yours. Also, what you can't do is play games on the any of these machines with the same account when there's an online sign-in, such as Fall Guys, as only one instance of your account would be allowed to talk to their servers.

Could you clarify this particular bit? Just trying to get how that differs from the scenario with your son.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i kept my PS4 plugged in and on and it lets me play a game at the same time as a different game on my PS5. I'll probably disconnect it and gift it over the holidays but for now PS5 looks like a completely seperate tier/machine.

For funsies I ran fall guys on both at the same time and it kicked me off the PS4, saying I was playing the game on another machine. I'm sure if you do the "default system PS4" thing panda and others mention above it'll work just fine across multiple accounts with digital games.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
If... i'm reading this clearly that could mean there is the possibility of havibg a 3 way game share.

Lets assume. You've got game sharing setup with your brother in the traditional way on PS4 allready.

You purchase a PS5 and a Friend purchases a PS5. Your brother remains on a PS4.

You would Primary your Friends PS5 and he would primary your PS5.

Ergo you would have access to your Friends entire Library and your Brothers entire library and there would never be a crossover as neither your Friend or your Brother would ever sign on under your name.

As a bonus you would only require 1 PS Plus sub as it would cover your Brothers PS4 and your Friends PS5 coz they are your primaries and you would obviously have access becuase your logged in via the network on the PS5 you have at home.

The only caveat then would be your Brother and Friend cannot share games between them.

Does that sound right?

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
I figured it out! The PS4 was set to auto log in onto my account. Turned that off, have the ability to choose which account to sign in on boot up and all is gravy! Sorry about any confusion my past posts caused.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
My PSN account is logged I to my PS4 and PS5 and neither one boots me off. Hulu doesn't and games don't. First time I've had to do this so is that normal?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Can you play the same digital copy of the same PS4 game at the same time though?

If so; can you play multiplayer against your own account? 👀

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Same with PS3, PS4, and Vita.

What I want to know is if you can have your PS4 and PS5 activated primary consoles separarely at the same time using the same account?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Can you play the same digital copy of the same PS4 game at the same time though?

If so; can you play multiplayer against your own account? 👀
You can do that on PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3 for some games. But the easier method is probably just logging on another account on one of the two consoles to multiplayer like that. Great for boosting games that are dead online.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same with PS3, PS4, and Vita.

What I want to know is if you can have your PS4 and PS5 activated primary consoles separarely at the same time using the same account?
Yes.

You can enable Console Sharing and Offline Play on one PS5 console at a time. If you enable the setting on a new PS5 console, the Console Sharing and Offline Play setting on your other PS5 console will be disabled. Other users on the disabled console won't be able to play your games and media.

PS5 Console Sharing and Offline Play does not affect your primary PS4 activation limit.

How to enable PS5 Console Sharing and Offline Play

Find out how to enable Console Sharing and Offline Play on ‎PlayStation®5 consoles to share your purchases and some subscription benefits with other players.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You can do that on PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3 for some games. But the easier method is probably just logging on another account on one of the two consoles to multiplayer like that. Great for boosting games that are dead online.
But that won't be the same copy, right? I'm talking about the same account running the same exact gamefile at the same time. And how would that even work if you would play against your own account? You don't have yourself as a friend on PSN. Would your name show up twice in the game lobby?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
But that won't be the same copy, right? I'm talking about the same account running the same exact gamefile at the same time. And how would that even work if you would play against your own account? You don't have yourself as a friend on PSN. Would your name show up twice in the game lobby?
The trick is just having mutliple accounts on the same console. Suppose I have user Joni 1 and Joni 2 on my PS4 and PS5. I login to Joni 1 on PS4 and Joni 2 on PS5 while Joni 1 is also available on the latter. I play Game 1 as Joni 1 on PS4 and the same game as Joni 2 on PS5 (because Joni 1 is also on that console and if it is set as primary, games are shared).
I do it a lot on PS3. Download the game on both PS3s and just login to different accounts on both. When online is dead, I don't even need to search.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The trick is just having mutliple accounts on the same console. Suppose I have user Joni 1 and Joni 2 on my PS4 and PS5. I login to Joni 1 on PS4 and Joni 2 on PS5 while Joni 1 is also available on the latter. I play Game 1 as Joni 1 on PS4 and the same game as Joni 2 on PS5 (because Joni 1 is also on that console and if it is set as primary, games are shared).
I do it a lot on PS3. Download the game on both PS3s and just login to different accounts on both. When online is dead, I don't even need to search.
Yeah I know, multiple accounts would work. But my question is if the same account would work. I've had it happen in the past that a friend logged onto my account on his PS4 for a local multiplayer game or whatever and I got kicked out of my game on my own PS4. So that's why I asked if two people could play exactly the same PS4 game on the same account but one on the PS5 and one on the PS4.

The multiplayer against yourself question was more of a hypothetical/joke question, haha.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017

Does he have his own PSN account?

brb

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Does he have his own PSN account?

He does but my main account has all the saves/progress/trophies. It turns out though we were getting kicked because we were both trying to play PS4 games. Playing a PS5 game and a PS4 game let's us play at the same time!

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so when I get my PS5, can I play a PS4 game on it, using my account, while my kids use my PS4, and play a PS4 game on it, using their own PS4 account ?

Miya Moto

Jun 4, 2018
Never used game sharing but with my PS5 hopefully arriving this week, that will change.

So if I understand correctly, you cannot be logged into both consoles using the same PSN ID at the same time? My kids have been playing Fortnite on my main PSN account, with all their skins tied to it. I foresee this to be a problem since you can't transfer your Fortnite account to a different PSN ID.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I found this thread as my poor google searching didn't come up with any meaningful results.

I was trying to log into RDR2 to complete some dailies on the PS5, and launched GTAV on the PS4 for log-in bonus, and do some updates. I was kicked off both games with similar warning "This game or app has been suspended because <name> started a game or app on another console".

So what I am gathering from this thread is both PS4 and PS5 can be logged into same PSN ID, and they can play one PS4 and PS5 game simultateously, but they cannot both be playing a PS4 title at the same time. I can kinda of understand the reasoning from a content management pov, but it is very weird user experience.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
If... i'm reading this clearly that could mean there is the possibility of havibg a 3 way game share.

Lets assume. You've got game sharing setup with your brother in the traditional way on PS4 allready.

You purchase a PS5 and a Friend purchases a PS5. Your brother remains on a PS4.

You would Primary your Friends PS5 and he would primary your PS5.

Ergo you would have access to your Friends entire Library and your Brothers entire library and there would never be a crossover as neither your Friend or your Brother would ever sign on under your name.

As a bonus you would only require 1 PS Plus sub as it would cover your Brothers PS4 and your Friends PS5 coz they are your primaries and you would obviously have access becuase your logged in via the network on the PS5 you have at home.

The only caveat then would be your Brother and Friend cannot share games between them.

Does that sound right?

You can actually do that right now. You can put your PS4 as the "primary" console of all your friends, but put just one of your friends console with your profile as the primary. In this case you could play all your friends games, and only one of them could play yours.

And any combination of that, so long as each profile has only one PS4 as their primary (obviously) . But any given PS4 can have more than one profile having it as it's primary

Last edited:

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Tried this last night and thought it didn't work. I'm sure I had Demon's Souls on the ps5 but now I'm wondering if I had a ps4 BC game on?

Basically there are 2 PS4's in the house that are set to primary / secondary for me and my eldest son. Now I want to give my ps4 to my youngest son. All his Sims saves are on my account. So he should be able to log into my account on the secondary ps4 whilst I'm logged into the ps5? So Gnorman would be logged in on a PS4 and a ps5 at the same time?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
He does but my main account has all the saves/progress/trophies. It turns out though we were getting kicked because we were both trying to play PS4 games. Playing a PS5 game and a PS4 game let's us play at the same time!

Sharing one account with two people is really just asking for issues like this. Splitting off into two accounts would prevent anything like this in the future and would also allow for multiplayer and things with PS4 games or as you said two PS4 games at once.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Tried this last night and thought it didn't work. I'm sure I had Demon's Souls on the ps5 but now I'm wondering if I had a ps4 BC game on?

Basically there are 2 PS4's in the house that are set to primary / secondary for me and my eldest son. Now I want to give my ps4 to my youngest son. All his Sims saves are on my account. So he should be able to log into my account on the secondary ps4 whilst I'm logged into the ps5? So Gnorman would be logged in on a PS4 and a ps5 at the same time?

Only if you Gnorman is playing a PS5 game.

goldblum

Oct 28, 2017
London
I have a question — my girlfriend has played Fortnite for years on my PS4 so her progress is all tied to my PSN account.

I now have a PS5 and the PS4 — it's not possible for her to play Fortnite on the PS4 and for me to play Apex Legends on my PS5 at the same time? It might be two different consoles but it's still one PSN account?

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the bump but I'm trying to help a friend. He's in the same two PS4 games at the same time predicament. My friend gave his PS4 to his son and when his son plays Fortnite it boots my friend from playing online MP in Ghost of Tsushima. I know this is expected behavior for PS4 - PS4 titles, but is there a way to dictate which console gets booted when a game is launched? IE, how do we make it his son's PS4 vs my friend's PS5.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump but I'm trying to help a friend. He's in the same two PS4 games at the same time predicament. My friend gave his PS4 to his son and when his son plays Fortnite it boots my friend from playing online MP in Ghost of Tsushima. I know this is expected behavior for PS4 - PS4 titles, but is there a way to dictate which console gets booted when a game is launched? IE, how do we make it his son's PS4 vs my friend's PS5.
Make a new account on the PS4 for his son, and you will probably need a new Fortnite account. I gave my little cousin my PS4 for christmas and made him his own account on it. I downloaded all the games from PS+ using mine, then log in with his account to play them on. When he wants to do two players split screen, they use my account as the second player.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

I always see people trying to use their own account for their kids/gf/whatever. Just make them a new account. If your friend's son's PS4 is your friend's home PS4, then his and all other users accounts have full PS+ and game privileges on your friends account shared with them.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. This was the first thing I told him to do but I think he was concerned about carrying over in app purchases.

I appreciate the help.