• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Facebook has unveiled its Oculus Quest 2 standalone wireless virtual reality headset, with prices as low as $300 and 50% more pixels than the previous version. Meanwhile, Facebook said it won't make any more PC-based Oculus Rift headsets.

But Facebook also announced that it will now end further development on the family of Oculus Rift PC-based headsets, thanks to the Oculus Link. You heard that right. The wireless Quest 2 is the future. There will be no more Rift headsets. The difference is that the Quest is wireless and it has its processing and sensors in the headset. Through a Link cable, it can tap the power of a full PC. The Rift, by contrast, has no processing in the headset and it has to be linked to a PC. The problem is that it isn't as popular as the wireless Quest.

venturebeat.com

Facebook unveils $300 Oculus Quest 2, kills Rift

Facebook has unveiled its Oculus Quest 2 standalone wireless virtual reality headset with prices as low as $300 and 50% more pixels than the first Quest.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. The Quest 1 already pretty much killed the Rift S - there's very little point to getting PC-only unless you go for something like Index or Pimax.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes perfect sense and was pretty predictable by the reaction to Quest Link.

and tbh, I like the thought of a PC VR space where Facebook isn't competing to be a vanguard techwise.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Not surprising, there was zero point in buying a Rift S when Link came out. Even less so when the Quest 2 has better specs.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Once the Link came out, it made sense that they would eventually go this route.

However, the Rift S will probably be my last Facebook headset considering how they are taking things forward.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it would be harder to force you to sign in to a Facebook account without any hardware on the headset

Dec 23, 2017
I had a feeling this was going to happen.

If you lurk the Oculus reddit often, you'll see a lot of upset Rift S owners waiting for updates or something to happen. Those updates never came.

You would even see memes of Facebook loving Quest more than Rift. I'm not surprised they stopped making PC based VR headsets.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still somewhat surprised by this. Even with the link I assumed there would still be a market for Rift.

This, I'm surprised so many people in the thread think this was an obvious move.,
The Rift S was a more capable PC device than the Quest 1, and was much cheaper than Index/Vive etc

If the Quest 2 is more capable than Rift S then fair enough I guess, but I'm rather surprised at this personally.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Not surprising, but still kind of a shame. The Oculus PC headsets have been exceptionally good for the price so far. I guess this means Valve and Oculus will barely even compete with each other anymore, which isn't really a good thing.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
My Rift S display port connection seems to be faulty. Wonder if they'll fix it or just give me a Quest 2.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I think everyone expected this with Link making it nearly indistinguishable from playing on a Rift S. Virtual Desktop also makes wireless streaming a very good option.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This, I'm surprised so many people in the thread think this was an obvious move.,
The Rift S was a more capable PC device than the Quest 1, and was much cheaper than Index/Vive etc

If the Quest 2 is more capable than Rift S then fair enough I guess, but I'm rather surprised at this personally.

The Quest fills the pricepoint and space pretty well. The only thing that I think would make sense is if Oculus went for a play on high-end VR against Index. Releasing one that's about the same but wired won't work anymore. Most people were already just getting a Quest because it was pretty dang close to the Rift S even on PC.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking as a CV1 owner:

giphy.gif

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
As long as Oculus Link continues to be officially supported for the foreseeable future and Oculus VR exclusive games continue to also be published on PC (even if exclusive to their store), that's fine. Oculus Quest hardware is fantastic.

Problem is, I don't trust Facebook to do any of this.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Hows this thing work exactly? Stream only or can you plug this in your gaming PC and play steam games? How is this so cheap?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Quest fully compatible with PC? id love to play HL:A for $300

Yep. I fully played through Alyx wirelessly streamed to my Quest. Was basically flawless for me, and a phenomenal game, too.

Hows this thing work exactly? Stream only or can you plug this in your gaming PC and play steam games? How is this so cheap?

Both. You can do wired for free or wireless via a paid app if you have good enough WiFi.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
No, it doesn't. The Link has to compress and stream to the headset, which introduces lag and artefacts. Link replaces PC-based VR as much as game streaming replaces home consoles/gaming PCs.
Link works wired as well. It really does completely replace PC-only headsets as it works exactly like one, except it's also got its own hardware inside.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Saw that coming. Makes sense from their perspective. PC headsets were always a stepping stone to their ultimate goal.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Link works wired as well. It really does completely replace PC-only headsets as it works exactly like one, except it's also got its own hardware inside.

As far as i know it still compresses video and basically streams it to Quest. On top of that version 1 was just 72Hz and that is too low.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
So they're dropping the platform but before they go they're giving us a big fuck you and making us switch over to using Facebook accounts to access the games we own.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
No, it doesn't. The Link has to compress and stream to the headset, which introduces lag and artefacts. Link replaces PC-based VR as much as game streaming replaces home consoles/gaming PCs.

Have you tried it recently? It's pretty dang good nowadays. I have almost zero noticeable compression and my latency is down below 25ms over wireless. I can complete Expert level Beat Sabre no problem. Not sure what it's like with Link cable, but my experience over wireless is very, VERY comparable to when I was exclusively using a CV1.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
As far as i know it still compresses video and basically streams it to Quest. On top of that version 1 was just 72Hz and that is too low.
Yup. There's a difference between people being satisfied with the Link's performance and it actually replacing dedicated hardware. Personally until the tech gets better I'd rather take full advantage of my PC than be wireless. So it sucks to see Occulus essentially right off that entire market.

Not that I'd buy from them ever again anyway considering their dystopic Facebook requirement.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I guess this makes it even easier for me to move on from Oculus when I buy a new headset. Rift S will do me for a while, anyway.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Yeah, Facebook is going to loss-lead on these stand alone headsets to try to own the mass market of consumer VR (even if it is lower quality etc etc) so they have control over millions of headsets and their data.

I have no interest in investing in such an ecosystem.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This was pretty invevitable. As long as Link still works it should be okay. I'm sure someone will come up with a Quest emulator or something at some point for exclusives. The plus side of this means that the PC VR ecosystem will have less API fragmentation (and no one really cares about WMR anyway)

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The Quest 2 with Link is basically technically superior over the Rift S in every way so this makes sense, the dedicated PCVR headsets are redundant for what Oculus is doing. HMDs like the Index will pick up the slack for those looking for the highest end dedicated PCVR experiences.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
This was pretty invevitable. As long as Link still works it should be okay. I'm sure someone will come up with a Quest emulator or something at some point for exclusives. The plus side of this means that the PC VR ecosystem will have less API fragmentation (and no one really cares about WMR anyway)
WMR supports SteamVR anyway so it's not like anyone would need to worry about that if they wanted to develop for only one API.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, pretty much this. Tracking and ergonomics are also inferior. I hope my Rift S lasts until there are good alternatices in the 400-700 € range from some of the other players. I don't want to downgrade my vr.