• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
On Steams hardware survey in 2018 it showed 0.8% had a VR headset. It's now dropped to 0.44%. Is it that surprising people think it's struggling?

People think it's struggling because they want it to struggle. Despite the fact that Oculus and Sony have been quite happy where VR is right and where it's going.

Eterno

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
As someone who first got a PSVR and didn't like it much, mostly due to the resolution and tracking, I can say getting a Quest has been a whole different experience. I feel it's the perfect device for anyone who wants to get into VR. It doesn't have a lot of games but it's still way more appealing by its setup, tracking quality and controls than anything else I tried. Still playing on my Quest weekly and loving it.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Good thing this thread is about a VR headset pitched at the mainstream, that's selling very well.
They didn't say what the available supply was, so there's really no way to tell whether it's selling well or not. And even then, it may simultaneously sell well in the context of a VR product but not all that well in the context of videogame hardware in general.

I hope it's selling gangbusters but what they said in this article really doesn't give enough information to know one way or the other.

That's the last I'll say on this matter because people seem to be getting the impression that I'm just trying to hate on VR or something and I'd rather not derail the thread.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
This is totally anecdotal, but on 2 separate occasions when I brought my Quest to parties for my friends to try out, people were looking into ordering them by the end of the night. I know the Quest isn't a huge leap over the Rift, but just having it work anywhere and have no setup time will do a lot to convince people of the viability of VR.

Yep, this anecdotal occurrence also happens to a ton of people. When you check the Quest subreddit, there are lots of stories of coworkers, family members and friends rushing out to buy their own units after getting a demo.

Facebook definitely hit the right notes with this.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Waiting for next gen, but after using a Quest for like 20 minutes I liked the experience so much more than PSVR I basically decided to stop investing in PSVR because Quest 2 or 3 is gonna be the VR system I actually wanna use.

No wires and ease of use just reigns supreme. Setting up my PSVR seems like a weird hack that makes the Sega 32X seem elegant...

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The Quest is absolutely incredible. The ability to simply pick up my VR headset and use it literally anywhere, with no wires, no base stations, or anything else, makes me use it so much more than I'd use any other headset.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
VR isn't dead, but it's still very much niche. If we had more games like Astrobot, I could see the medium taking quite the hike.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The Quest is absolutely incredible. The ability to simply pick up my VR headset and use it literally anywhere, with no wires, no base stations, or anything else, makes me use it so much more than I'd use any other headset.
Honestly the existence of both the Quest and the Rift S (with the latter being my preferred product) make a pretty compelling case for hassle-free VR. I loved the Windows Mixed Reality approach but hated how wonky it was. In beta, a LOT of shit barely worked.

Pretty much my only complaints about the Rift S are the price and the existence of a wire, even if it's just the one (and that one is honestly a minor nitpick).

Right now I'm pretty happy with my PSVR. With how the affordable level of technology (say, around 400 bucks) has progressed, PSVR2 is gonna be a treat if it ends up happening.

If not, I'll probably end up buying whatever the next Rift S will be.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite devices in the last few years. The portability is insane and the modding community is great while we wait for more games

Oct 27, 2017
What pisses me off about the quest is what pisses me off about VR in general.

It's always about compromises.

Quest is cool, but super limited in power.
Psvr is cool, but controllers are shit, you need a ps4 pro if you want it to look good.
Vive pro is cool, but requires setting up trackers in the room.
Rift S is cool, but worse quality screen than quest.
Index is cool, but requires setting up trackers in the room and costs a kidney.
Labo is cool, but it's just an accessory for casual 5 minute play sessions you need to hold against your face and it's super limited in power.

So as much as I would like to buy a quest, it's always something, not a single vr solution I would call "the right one for me", they all have a catch.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, but it isn't going to become a mainstream item for a long time, if ever.

By mainstream I mean affordable for the masses, commonplace, well supported and with all its current bugbears ironed out properly.

Edit: the UK has a ton of stock of the Quest everywhere. Just the other day, I saw it marked down 20%.
where in UK? It will be great if you can share it.