• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

Facebook has acquired the Spanish cloud gaming company PlayGiga, which previously offered its services across Italy, Argentina, Chile, and Spain. The purchase was confirmed by Facebook to CNBC, following reports last week from Cinco Dias which claimed that the deal was imminent and was valued at €70 million (around $78 million).

Gaming has been an increasing focus for Facebook in recent years. Back in March, the company added a "Gaming" section to its navigation bar, which brought together its Twitch-like streaming service Facebook Gaming, as well as its collection of web-based Instant Games. It has also had a keen interest in VR gaming ever since its acquisition of Oculus in 2014, and last month acquired Beat Studios, the developer behind Beat Saber. The company recently claimed over 700 million of its users engage with Facebook's gaming content each month.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
ENOUGH
NO MORE
IF GOOGLE IS FAILING AT IT
YOU WILL TOO

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will use the Oculus branding for this or if it will be a separate thing or if it'll be on main Facebook app.

That's most interesting question I have about it.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Facebook is one of the tons of companies entering the gaming business, you don't like it well is our fault gaming now is not the same 15 years ago is now popular as fuck with a ton of gamers now and the money they make trumps movies and music, so now We need to chose what companies to support.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Facebook must have been impressed by those Stadia Destiny 2 player numbers and wants a piece of that pie.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
More companies believing in the streaming future. :)
I'm glad that competition will be there.
Looking forward to streaming everything. :)

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Don't think that FaceBook is going to try and do the same thing or that Google is failing with Stadia?

This is not about today or tomorrow. It is all about the long term. Google will leverage many of its products to promote Stadia, as will Facebook. Don't think like a dinosaur. :)

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not about today or tomorrow. It is all about the long term. Google will leverage many of its products to promote Stadia, as will Facebook. Don't think like a dinosaur. :)

yeah, stadia is getting ahead trying to make their name with cloud gaming, and if cloud gaming becomes big in the future(years+) they want to be a player/store in the field. simple as that.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I made a fake account on Facebook to connect to a game so I didn't have to spam everyone on my usual list. After ten years of playing that game, the account was banned for not being a real person, thereby destroying all progress I had made on the game. I will not engage this service as a result.