• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
LOL at the Zuckerberg losing money temporarily since his net worth is tied to FB stock. Are they trying to him sympathetic here?

I don't think so? Journalists documenting the flow of capital isn't a bad thing. Just makes you aware of how concentrated wealth and power is.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
But where will all the QAnon lunatics get their info now?! Won't someone please think of the QAnon lunatics?!

Jul 27, 2020
FA4JAr9XEAUEwj3

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
"I'll have you know Facebook is crucial to a lot of businesses and literally comprises the internet for a lot of people outside the US and EU."

Um yes, that much power being consolidated in a single social media platform, especially one that's done considerable, demonstrable damage over the years is, in fact, a bad thing.

that doesn't mean that it being down currently is a good thing though

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
I know they will claim that it's not a hack..
But it sure as hell seems like a hack and the timing is INCREDIBLY convenient.

If this is a true hack attack, would it be the largest in history?

BTW, a good portion of my business and it's marketing is through Facebook. This is not making things easy today.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Again, stop with this close-minded "USA-centric" POV. Not everything revolves around the United States.

If I have a business in the Philippines, I don't have much other options. When I'm trying to survive the last thing I'm worrying about is "societal transgressions." Again, a bullshit take and pure ignorance from folks in this thread.

Learn to open up your views and stop being so fucking ignorant.

You should be even more concerned than me about Facebook's stranglehold then.

I sympathize with their situation but how do you not see the core problem here.

Facebook shouldn't be a cornerstone of infrastructure fucking anywhere and it highlights how huge private companies continue to institute shitty practices overseas unchecked.

There are stories where facebook is abused in other nations while low level employees go home with nightmares about whether they did enough to stop horrific things from happening when it never should have been their responsibility to begin with

Since you said IF and you don't actually have a business in the philippines dont lecture me about being ignorant

www.buzzfeednews.com

"I Have Blood On My Hands": A Whistleblower Says Facebook Ignored Global Political Manipulation

A 6,600-word internal memo from a fired Facebook data scientist details how the social network knew about specific examples of global political manipulation — and failed to act.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

Facebook going onto Twitter to let everyone know that they're working on it haha.

Their CTO:

This is so funny haha.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
You should be even more concerned than me about Facebook's stranglehold then.

I sympathize with their situation but how do you not see the core problem here.

Facebook shouldn't be a cornerstone of infrastructure fucking anywhere and it highlights how huge private companies continue to institute shitty practices overseas unchecked.

There are stories where facebook is abused in other nations while low level employees go home with nightmares about whether they did enough to stop horrific things from happening when it never should have been their responsibility to begin with

Since you said IF and you don't actually have a business in the philippines dont lecture me about being ignorant

Bruh, nobody in here is saying Facebook and people/businesses being reliant on it is a good thing. You can think the outage is bad on top of thinking Facebook and people being reliant on it is bad.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Bruh, nobody in here is saying Facebook and people/businesses being reliant on it is a good thing. You can think the outage is bad on top of thinking Facebook and people being reliant on it is bad.
Nuance doesn't exist on this site. It's black or white and don't you dare suggest anything else.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
that doesn't mean that it being down currently is a good thing though

I mean, I'm not stupid enough that I don't acknowledge that ripping the band-aid off would result in a lot of damage.

But at the same time, goddamn does it have to go at some point. Maybe this can be a wake-up call, or maybe everything will just go back to business as usual the instant this is fixed. That's how these things usually pan out so for now I'm just gonna enjoy the thought of it all burning down

Staff Post

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Official Staff Communication
Do not use this thread as a battleground for phone wars. Android vs iPhone is not the topic. Further derailment will be moderated.

With global services down, please keep in mind that different places have different uses for Facebook's services; there are entire small businesses that depend on them and in some areas they are the primary means of staying in touch with friends and family.

May 26, 2018
I mean, I'm not stupid enough that I don't acknowledge that ripping the band-aid off would result in a lot of damage.

But at the same time, goddamn does it have to go at some point. Maybe this can be a wake-up call, or maybe everything will just go back to business as usual the instant this is fixed. That's how these things usually pan out so for now I'm just gonna enjoy the thought of it all burning down

Facebook would have to be down for like three weeks for people to start changing their minds