• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

trineo_feo

Oct 27, 2017
I hate facebook as much as the next guy, but people here pretending that old-ass SMS have the same functionalities, flexibility and reach as whatsapp are insane lol

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone has an iPhone. WhatsApp is probably the most used app in many parts of Asia, way before FB bought them. It is difficult to get entire societies to shift away from it.
I never said anything about What'sapp, I responded to someone saying imessage couldn't do group chats, but it does them perfectly fine.
What's about your friends and family who don't have an iPhone?
What about them?
A) there aren't many of them.
B) Group chats still work with them anyway. You do lose some features, but there's nothing non-functional about the experience.

I also used an android for years before swapping to iphones, and I think the non-Americans in this thread REALLY act like using sms on an android is like being in the stone age. It's worse, for sure, but it's not different enough for people to care.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Wonder where FB would rank among "Most hated companies in the world."

Given all that's happened these past several years, they'd be #1 easily.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the play store is getting hit with a lot of downloads for the facebook app from people downloading, uninstalling, downloading, unistalling,....repeating trying to get facebook to work on their phone.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also used an android for years before swapping to iphones, and I think the non-Americans in this thread REALLY act like using sms on an android is like being in the stone age. It's worse, for sure, but it's not different enough for people to care.

but it is different enough that people cares, tho???

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how the rest of the world communicated before whatsapp /s

Reminds me of
iODaGqm.png

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I feel like this is a great time to get your friends and family on another platform. FB is actually a borderline evil corporation that none of us should be supporting.
Yeah, sure, let me move about a couple billion people off Whatsapp and then convince my friends and every new person I meet to not use Instagram...
Maybe instead of acting like this is some personal responsibility thing - we push governments to limit Facebook's power?

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super curious about what's actually happening here. The extent of the visible damage doesn't look like something that happens (and persists for hours) just because some tech pushed a bad config. A lot of this looks almost deliberate and targeted.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just sent someone an SMS and it feels like I'm in the fucking stone age

Oct 27, 2017
I never said anything about What'sapp, I responded to someone saying imessage couldn't do group chats, but it does them perfectly fine.

What about them?
B) Group chats still work with them anyway. You do lose some features, but there's nothing non-functional about the experience.

The bolded just shows that you really don't have any context for life outside of the US.

When WhatsApp rose in prominence SMS fees were (or could be) expensive, International Texts and Calls were highly expensive, and iPhone ownership throughout Europe was relatively minor. A group chat with a number of people texting instead of using Wifi from an international location would have costed everybody a lot of money on their phone bill, let alone when MMS or videos were factored in. People absolutely cared about that, and although iMessage eventually caught up to (some) of the features WhatsApp has, and although the EU has recently played a significant role in reducing international roaming fees, WhatsApp is ubiquitous and synonymous with texting.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
but it is different enough that people cares, tho???
No? The rest of the world has plenty of other reasons not to use SMS (poor plans, charges across countries, etc) - you've been using whatsapp forever, but in the US there is little reason to do so, and SMS apps have long since moved past the major constraints presented by SMS as a standard. They still exist, but they're all handled in the apps themselves, so you don't run into character limits or anything like that, so to the user it really is irrelevant. Nobody in the US is stitting on some android phone using the built in texting apps and seeing anything crazily different than what you see in imessage or whatsapp. It just doesn't have some of the fun extra features that, frankly, everyone can live without.

The bolded just shows that you really don't have any context for life outside of the US. When WhatsApp rose in prominence SMS fees were (or could be) expensive, International Texts and Calls were highly expensive, and iPhone ownership throughout Europe was relatively minor.

A group chat with a number of people texting instead of using Wifi from an international location would have costed everybody a lot of money.
At no point was I talking about WHY other countries don't use SMS - I totally understand why they don't, but the EXPERIENCE of using an android with SMS is not really that different, and in the US the concerns you listed don't exist. There is no compelling reason to use Whatsapp for an American that primarily interacts iwth other americans.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No? The rest of the world has plenty of other reasons not to use SMS (poor plans, charges across countries, etc) - you've been using whatsapp forever, but in the US there is little reason to do so, and SMS apps have long since moved past the major constraints presented by SMS as a standard. They still exist, but they're all handled in the apps themselves, so you don't run into character limits or anything like that, so to the user it really is irrelevant. Nobody in the US is stitting on some android phone using the built in texting apps and seeing anything crazily different than what you see in imessage or whatsapp. It just doesn't have some of the fun extra features that, frankly, everyone can live without.

we are talking about people outside the US, why are you talking about people in the US?????

iamdelirium

Nov 25, 2017
My SRE friend at Facebook saying it's a bad day to be an SRE at Facebook. It's not personally affecting him because his team isn't affected but sucks for the members that are.

Oct 27, 2017

What about them?

If it wasnt different enough for people to care...then people would use it 0_0

Oct 27, 2017
The World
This is absolutely the worst thing to happen when a big sale day for your business is coming up on Thursday and how much coordination happens over WhatsApp and Facebook Ads are the biggest lead generators.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
imessage has everything whatsapp has and even more with better pictures and video quality

android sms, sure that's dog shit. but that's not new news
I gotta say it's really weird how a lot of iPhone users only know other iPhone users.

Message an Android user with iMessage and you'll be sending them a SMS or MMS.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
we are talking about people outside the US, why are you talking about people in the US?????
No, we aren't. If you want to hit the little back arrow button on my posts and the responses to my posts and so on back to the beginning of what I said, at no point were we talking about fucking americans or non americans. We were talking about group texts in iOS and SMS

I gotta say it's really weird how a lot of iPhone users only know other iPhone users.

Message an Android user with iMessage and you'll be sending them a SMS or MMS.
Yes, everyone knows that, it also isn't functionally that different. for 99% of use cases it's the same thing except it's green.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder (hope) if FB is gonna get sued by everyone losing money and business over the outage

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inappropriate comparison
I hate child molestation as much as the next guy, but people here pretending that you can just stop listening to Thriller are insane lol