• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn

www.androidcentral.com

Facebook won't ban players who use more than one headset, apologizes for confusion

Facebook is banning players that use their Facebook account on more than one Oculus Quest at a time, according to some reports.

On top of that deactivating your FB account will deactivate your headset and deleting your FB account will remove all your purchases you ever made on Oculus Store.

www.eurogamer.net

Deleting Facebook also deletes your Oculus purchases

Oculus has endured a PR nightmare in recent weeks after it emerged its controversial Oculus Quest 2 Facebook account me…

Yo..off topic a bit but that guys frown in the picture for android central ..lol. That is like cartoon levels of frowning , I'm impressed

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Not to put it past FB to do this sort of thing, as they've already shown their asses with the account merging fiasco, but this article headline is inaccurate. Right now, all we have is a support rep saying that doing this violates the ToS. Have there been any confirmed device/account bans for using the same FB account on more than one device? The article is just speculative.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah the fact the facebook are doing all this compulsory Facebook account stuff means I'll never get an oculus device.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
If I were Facebook, I would pause all Oculus account bans and ensure that if a Facebook account is linked to Oculus, then that Facebook account cannot be banned under any circumstances outside of a manual ban/inspection from FB themselves, until they fix the banning issues. This here is more of a policy (a dumb policy) but they should start ensuring that all the false automated bans are stopped.

Wait is Oculus actually doing poorly now? Cause I had heard that the new headsets would require FB accounts so I wrote off Oculus for if I ever jumped into PCVR but I assumed that people wouldn't care much and it wouldn't damage them because their Quest 2 was apparently really good.
No. Oculus are fine and will no doubt be the sales leader (at least until PSVR2) with Quest 2 because at the end of the day, price/convenience matters more than things like this to most people.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So is there a great / better VR headset that is coming in the future? I remember some years ago, people were very hot on the HTC Vive. Is it still a thing?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4jryqt.jpg

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
This seems especially foolish because the audience is relatively small for VR, so awareness of this and bad word-of-mouth will be more prevalent.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
But I was told in another thread that having a Facebook account isn't a big deal and I should make a dummy account...

I wish the Quest 2 wasn't a Facebook product because I would have bought it. Looks like a nice piece of hardware.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So all the talk around this stuff has been focused on the Quest but presumably this would impact all Oculus users, right? I ask because I work for a company that uses Rift, Rift S, and Quest headsets and we have not been subscribed to Oculus for Business as it currently hasn't made sense for us. We're not a game developers but we make VR presentations for our customers.

I mean if I'm logged into our company Oculus account (which I guess will soon need to become a Facebook account) on one PC using the original Rift and a coworker at the same time is on another PC using a Rift S while logged into the same account that account will get banned, right? Essentially, once Oculus accounts get 100% merged with Facebook accounts we would either need to make an account for each headset or sign up for Oculus for Business, right? Even then, since we would be making accounts specifically for use of VR those accounts would pretty much always be at risk of getting banned, right?

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what if you're trying to play oculus with your 11 year old kid, and Facebook requires you to be 13 or over (obviously 99% of people don't follow that rule but still) You're just supposed to not play with your kid cause your kid can't make a Facebook account yet?

Oct 28, 2017
This scares me away from the Quest 2 for a while because I refuse to give up my Rift S for when I want to play PCVR.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
But guys, facebook isn't that bad. They do so much for vr. Facebook isn't as toxic and dangerous as google and twitter. Just make a fake account, your purchases aren't in danger!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If I were Facebook, I would pause all Oculus account bans and ensure that if a Facebook account is linked to Oculus, then that Facebook account cannot be banned under any circumstances outside of a manual ban/inspection from FB themselves, until they fix the banning issues. This here is more of a policy (a dumb policy) but they should start ensuring that all the false automated bans are stopped.

No. Oculus are fine and will no doubt be the sales leader (at least until PSVR2) with Quest 2 because at the end of the day, price/convenience matters more than things like this to most people.

I don't understand why this wasn't their policy from day one. They better have the kinks worked out by Christmas or else it's going to be another avalanche of bad press.

As to point #2, we only need to look at the recently released Population One. Look at the # of reviews for the Quest version vs the number of reviews for the Steam/Oculus Rift version. In terms of software sales: Quest > PSVR > PCVR. If you're a dev and you want your title to make actual money, it needs to be on Quest.

What are the likely options? Any on the horizon?

None that are known. Sony seems like the best bet right now, but there's nothing remotely on the horizon it seems.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This is all a bit baffling, like from a comedy movie and they got someone infiltrated from an opposing VR company and is doing bad moves on purpose with no subtlety.

I've gone so fast from "I need to get one of these quests some day so my wife can play beatsaber hassle free" to "HEEEELL NO"

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Can somebody explain what is happening in the Op? The transcript doesn't make it clear what is going on

Retrocide

Oct 28, 2017
This legit makes no sense, I'm going to be holding on to my Oculus account for dear life and pray that some other wireless headset comes out by then time it's time to merge it into Facebook.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Can somebody explain what is happening in the Op? The transcript doesn't make it clear what is going on
It seems if you have 2 headsets 2 Oculus accounts attached to the same Facebook account you can potentially get your accounts banned which would make the headsets useless or maybe have to factory reset. Honestly still not sure WTF is going on

Last edited:

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I remember the numerous posts saying this forum has an unwarranted hatred of Facebook.

They are an awful company and shit like this is just the proof.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
So is there a great / better VR headset that is coming in the future? I remember some years ago, people were very hot on the HTC Vive. Is it still a thing?

The HTC Vive was the best experience out there for a number of years. Perfect tracking, room-scale, and tracked (for each hand) controllers. All right from the get-go. PSVR's poor tracking unfortunately caused a lot of games to be made with a traditional controller in mind, and while Oculus eventually caught up, launching without them was arguably a poor choice.

It's still a solid headset, but not the one I'd recommend if you're buying today. Comfort, integrated audio, controller layouts, optics, and displays have come a long way since then.

The Valve Index is an easy choice for best right now, albeit an expensive one. The HP Reverb G2 comes out soon at a lower price, and is probably what I'd point to for most people right now. You're getting a lot for the $600.

store.steampowered.com

HP Reverb G2 on Steam

The next generation HP Virtual Reality HMD–developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft–delivers an immersive, comfortable and compatible VR experience. It’s the new standard in VR.

As for Oculus, there have been plenty of reasons to avoid them already:
  • Palmer Luckey
  • Closed-platform
  • Exclusivity nonsense
  • Facebook acquisition
It doesn't surprise me that the fears of Facebook's acquisition have turned into more reasons to avoid.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
It would be petty to link old posts from the Quest 2 leak thread that were derisive and mocking of posts that were negative about Facebook.

But you should re-read that thread if you want a good time.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I already thought that it's a 1:1 thing when mapping headset/oculus accounts with a Facebook account (as in you would get a warning or something if an account pairing already exists)? Or are they just assuming people won't try to do this, and that such an action would still go through and this could upset their banning algorithm (which is dumb)

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
This shit is why I'm so glad I didn't opt for a Quest 2. Hopefully a different brand will come out that doesn't rely on such shitty tactics to use their headset.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

www.androidcentral.com

Facebook won't ban players who use more than one headset, apologizes for confusion

Facebook is banning players that use their Facebook account on more than one Oculus Quest at a time, according to some reports.

On top of that deactivating your FB account will deactivate your headset and deleting your FB account will remove all your purchases you ever made on Oculus Store.

www.eurogamer.net

Deleting Facebook also deletes your Oculus purchases

Oculus has endured a PR nightmare in recent weeks after it emerged its controversial Oculus Quest 2 Facebook account me…

I love my quest 2. But this should be illegal. Wtf

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is poison, and whatever human is actually making decisions in this technological gravemind needs to realize it before they do more than kill their customer relations.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
It seems if you have 2 headsets attached to the same Facebook account you can potentially get your accounts banned which would make the headsets useless or maybe have to factory reset

What i believe it actually is is that if you have two Oculus accounts attached to one Facebook account.

You can still have two headsets connected to the same Oculus account.

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This scares me away from the Quest 2 for a while because I refuse to give up my Rift S for when I want to play PCVR.

Presumably this would affect all their headsets? Difference being that if you use a Rift S and your account gets banned that Rift S doesn't become a paperweight like the Quest. But then with the Rift S if your account gets banned you're in the situation of making new accounts hoping they don't get banned. I've never used a Rift headset with SteamVR but is it possible to use Rift and Rift S headsets in SteamVR without launching the oculus app?
What are the likely options? Any on the horizon?

According to Engadget HTC has a new headset planned for next year (I think it's mentioned towards the bottom):
https://www.engadget.com/htc-vive-x...gen-standalone-vr-headset-2021-032701367.html

And earlier this year HTC showed off some really cool prototypes:
https://www.engadget.com/htc-vive-x...gen-standalone-vr-headset-2021-032701367.html

htc-vive-proton.jpg

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What i believe it actually is is that if you have two Oculus accounts attached to one Facebook account.

You can still have two headsets connected to the same Oculus account.
Ah I see and what they was saying now, they were saying that they needed to make a second Facebook account to attach to the other oculus account, but they can't because that is also against TOS.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks because I really do like the oculus line of products. I hate that it's tied so closely to FB now.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez Facebook, if you want out of the VR industry you can just not make more stuff. This is just over the top

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
VR already has such a high barrier to entry. They should be doing their best to lower that entry. The device itself helps with that a lot, but stuff like this actively goes against that.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Facebook has owned Oculus for half a decade, how are they just NOW screwing things up this badly? The Quest 1 was fine!