• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since they acquired the Beat Saber dev I have expected Sanzaru and Ready At Dawn to become Oculus studios. Maybe that's why Insomniac finally joined Sony in spite of always talking about independence, they only had those paths forward. Going to be very interesting seeing Oculus going forward. They have been taking VR a lot more seriously than anyone else.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ever since they acquired the Beat Saber dev I have expected Sanzaru and Ready At Dawn to become Oculus studios. Maybe that's why Insomniac finally joined Sony in spite of always talking about independence, they only had those paths forward. Going to be very interesting seeing Oculus going forward. They have been taking VR a lot more seriously than anyone else.

I'm waiting for the day that Ready at Dawn announce that they've been acquired by Facebook/Oculus Studios. They've gotta be right at the top of their list.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
They did great with Asgards Wrath so this isn't much of a suprise, wish em the best and a smooth transition :D

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Some DLC for MPU would be nice, still super salty about how quick the support for that game got dropped.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Their endgame is more VR content for the Oculus platform. That's literally it.
For Facebook it's pretty much building a first party lineup for their Oculus platform. Like they're the heaviest invested in the platform and you can see that when majority of the notable big budget VR games are exclusive to Oculus.

Like the new Medal of Honor coming this year.
I have to admit I haven't read up on them. Is Oculus actually its own separate platform? So the games won't be playable on PC?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I have to admit I haven't read up on them. Is Oculus actually its own separate platform? So the games won't be playable on PC?
Oculus has 3 currently supported headsets. Rift S, Quest, and Oculus Go. Rift S is a PC headset while the others are standalones. Medal of Honor is exclusive to the PC Oculus Store, however the Quest can access this store via a link cable if you have the PC to handle the games as well.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Next gen VR gonna be good.
Anyway one less partner Sony, open your eyes and chest cuz things are gonna get wild soon...

i was expecting them to be bought by facebook. wonder who's next.
I can't imagine that Ready at Dawn isn't already in some talks with Facebook about becoming a permanent part of the Oculus team. I can't imagine Sony raising much of a fuss about it either, since they already grabbed Insomniac, who have been a far, far more valuable partner to them than RAD ever was.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I figured this would've already happened given the reception to Asgard's Wrath.

I mean, nothing was forcing Insomniac to sell themselves was there? I guess Sony could've said "either we acquire you now or we never work with you again" but that seems really unlikely given how well Spider-Man went.

Oculus Rift and Quest are actually two separate platforms. Rift is the PC one and has its own runtime and store just like Steam. Quest is the mobile platform with its own store and ports.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I can't imagine that Ready at Dawn isn't already in some talks with Facebook about becoming a permanent part of the Oculus team. I can't imagine Sony raising much of a fuss about it either, since they already grabbed Insomniac, who have been a far, far more valuable partner to them than RAD ever was.
RAD have been amazing, monumental even, since they've pioneered a future-proof locomotion system and practically invented a new game genre.

I hope that the Echo IP is still going strong in 10 years.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Oculus is PC VR gaming (Rift) and Oculus Quest specific gaming.

The Oculus Store is a PC storefront/launcher that Oculus publish their own games on, as well as most third party stuff. Oculus Rift users can play games from any PC VR launcher though. Their first party stuff just goes on the Oculus Store though. As an Oculus user I buy 95% of my stuff on the Oculus store (it's just easy and streamlined) and then occasionally bits from Steam if they're cheaper or only available there (like Half-Life Alyx). And then the odd bedroom made experimental thing that I just download off some dumb website.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
This makes a lot of sense on both fronts.
Sanzaru proved they can make a great game with Asgard's Wrath, and I think that was one of the titles that proved Facebook is actually capable of allowing a developer the time & resources needed to make an AAA game.

The relationship showed it worked. Now they put a ring on it.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Not too suprising they've been working on the platform for the last few years and they put out a VR hit with Asgard's Wrath. Hope the Facebook money allows them to make interesting expereinces

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kind of......like you can play their games on PC, they have their own storefront like any other major publisher on PC but the difference is you can only play those games using one of their headsets. Fortunately there is a easy workaround with revive but playing natively through launcher would be better than using another app.

Yeah. That's always been pretty shitty but at least they aren't going out of their way to block it (I believe they attempted to do so early on).'

edit:

yep. https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/24/...ves-exclusive-games-drm-block-htc-vive-revive

Could have sworn they tried a second time but ultimately gave up on it.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Oculus has 3 currently supported headsets. Rift S, Quest, and Oculus Go. Rift S is a PC headset while the others are standalones. Medal of Honor is exclusive to the PC Oculus Store, however the Quest can access this store via a link cable if you have the PC to handle the games as well.
That's not too bad then. Obviously you would need to buy the required gear, but as long as it's on the same platform I don't see the problem with having to use different storefronts.

It's a seperate platform like Steam. Runs on PC or on the Oculus Quest.
I meant platform as in the different operating systems or consoles. I don't really consider storefronts to be platforms.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
haha I'm dang sure sly 5 wasn't in the cards anyway and I'm willing to bet Sony wouldn't have chosen Sanzaru to make sly 5 even if that was a thing. I don't think They were pleased with how 4 turned out/performed.

RAD have been amazing, monumental even, since they've pioneered a future-proof locomotion system and practically invented a new game genre.

I hope that the Echo IP is still going strong in 10 years.
Yeah, Lone Echo has been tremendous for them and for VR as a format. Facebook would be nuts to let someone else come in and take them away from their platform.

Also, Sly 5 was never going to happen with or without Sanzaru. Despite Thieves in Time doing rather well, Sony clearly does not give a crap about the IP and seems content with having Ratchet & Clank and Astro Bot fill their cutesy platformer needs.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
My only concern is they'll be relegated to Quest content. Stuff like Asguards Wrath can't exist on Quest without being cut down, and I'd doubt even a next gen Quest could handle something like that. Every Quest focused VR game has been poor compared to PC focused ones.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of......like you can play their games on PC, they have their own storefront like any other major publisher on PC but the difference is you can only play those games using one of their headsets. Fortunately there is a easy workaround with revive but playing natively through launcher would be better than using another app.
Now that sounds kind of counterproductive when it comes to making VR mainstream. I get why they're doing it, but still...

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
RIP Sly Cooper
FabulousExemplaryChicken-size_restricted.gif

My only concern is they'll be relegated to Quest content. Stuff like Asguards Wrath can't exist on Quest without being cut down, and I'd doubt even a next gen Quest could handle something like that. Every Quest focused VR game has been poor compared to PC focused ones.
While Quest has taken the VR world by storm, I wouldn't really be too concerned about Facebook putting all their chips down on that being the best path forward. PCVR is still the best experience possible for the format, and it's games like Asgard's Wrath that show why.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
haha I'm dang sure sly 5 wasn't in the cards anyway and I'm willing to bet Sony wouldn't have chosen Sanzaru to make sly 5 even if that was a thing. I don't think They were pleased with how 4 turned out/performed.
It did alright (500k I think?) but Sony delaying it right around the time the PS4 was announced probably killed any other momentum it had.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty disappointing. Now Sly will stay dead forever. Better hope the next Ratchet game is good as he's the last of the PS2 mascots we're likely to see. Damn.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I know they give them the budget for asgar wrath.... But now the chance are totally gone to see it on psvr 2.... Except if they eventualy make "trade"....

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I know they give them the budget for asgar wrath.... But now the chance are totally gone to see it on psvr 2.... Except if they eventualy make "trade"....
Asguards Wrath is entirely owned by Oculus. Regardless of what happened with this buyout, it had as much chance of going to PSVR as Atrobot had to going to Oculus.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
It did alright (500k I think?) but Sony delaying it right around the time the PS4 was announced probably killed any other momentum it had.
That game was pretty behind schedule in development... and Sony quickly cut ties with them right after sly was finished... same with the PS allstars dev. ...
I just don't think sony cares about sly that much, I also sensed that they weren't exactly pleased with sanzaru .

Last edited:

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that sounds kind of counterproductive when it comes to making VR mainstream. I get why they're doing it, but still...

They are just trying to heavy capitalize profits as much as possible. You can still buy the games off Oculus store and play them through revive so they are still getting money, but they want you to buy a headset along with that.

Revive is pretty great for what it is but you'll likely have to adjust you're saying since likely you'll have a headset that can allow higher resolution and framerate than say the rift s. At most I'd set framerate to 80 and lower Supersampling accordingly.