• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
So I've joined a few Facebook groups related to mountain biking and long boarding and I gotta say it's a great way to connect to things you like and are interested in. I haven't scrolled my "news feed" in a long time. I just open the app and go straight to groups. Lots of friendly people and way less shit posting than Reddit.

Anyone else really like them?

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah. I'm in an Office the show group and it's meme town and office quotes 24/7. Of course I can no longer communicate with normal humans, but what can you do?

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
I've joined a couple synthesizer related ones to some new gear I purchased and they've been great resources.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I'm sure there'll be people who will moan and groan about Facebook and think you sound like an ad, but I agree connecting with other people can be great. It's been great for my sister who has a rare genetic mutation. She found a group and had been able to get support and it's played a big part in helping with her emotional help.

I'm part of an Nvidia Shield group and a while back a woman had come in and asked for technical support for her son's Shield who had recently passed away and it was great to see the outpouring of support from people.

As said above it can be a fun and very handy resource too.

OP
OP
Darkmaigle

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there'll be people who will moan and groan about Facebook and think you sound like an ad, but I agree connecting with other people can be great. It's been great for my sister who has a rare genetic mutation. She found a group and had been able to get support and it's played a big part in helping with her emotional help.

I'm part of an Nvidia Shield group and a while back a woman had come in and asked for technical support for her son's Shield who had recently passed away and it was great to see the outpouring of support from people.

As said above it can be a fun and very handy resource too.

for what it's worth I think Facebook is pretty shit, groups is the only thing I like about it now. Stories like yours are why groups specifically is great.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Also Events and their suggestion engine is phenomenal. Facebook, as always, has adapted extremely well to how people want to engage.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I am a member in some great groups.
I was a member in some not so great groups. I have since left them.
Ultimately it depends on the group itself no doubt.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a member of a bunch of great, popular ones that have amazing moderation and don't take any kind of bigotry and many of them actively stand against it. Helps restore my faith in people, actually.

Everything from veganism to video games.

Dune meme groups are the the best.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Groups and Events and Messenger are the best things about Facebook. I wish there was a way to disable the feed and just have those three without.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Neoliberal Memes for Free Trading Teens and a group for each car that I own is basically perfect FB usage for me.

It's a lot like reddit where as an aggregate it's awful but when you wall off to just the things you care about, it's pretty great.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm also a part of my local mountain biking Facebook group. It's perfect for talking about local trail conditions, group rides, local bike shops, and all sorts of other things. It's basically all I use Facebook for.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm actually using Facebook again. I used to be on maybe 5 minutes a day but now I'm using it a lot more.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I never looked at groups before this thread and yea. It looks promising. Especially being a musician.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm in a few meme groups, motorcycle groups and language groups. They're pretty sick.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't used facebook in years. Is this like subreddits, or is it more local and kinda like meetup plus an online board?

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used facebook in years. Is this like subreddits, or is it more local and kinda like meetup plus an online board?
Could be local if you joined a local group. It's basically a forum about the group's subject. I'm in some groups about the cars I own, local Craigslist buy/sell/trade, and other hobbies I have. I guess you could compare it to a subreddit, just without the shit reddit format.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in one concerning the architectural registration exams I'm taking and it's absolutely invaluable. Incredible resource.

Also in a stained glass one as that's a hobby of mine. Very helpful group.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Since you are using your real life username and persona, FB groups are generally the more civilized parts of the Internet. Because in forums or reddit, people are anonymous, so they can post anything they like without a single care. To add, FB groups usually have strict rules and posting guidelines, some of them would even have post approval by admins. But not all groups are equally great, it depends on the moderation.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I'm in a group for death metal screamers. I've learned more from sharing vids and info there than anywhere else. It's a great place. Everyone's super nice and just willing to help and critique and go "man you sound filthy!"

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Since you are using your real life username and persona, FB groups are generally the more civilized parts of the Internet. Because in forums or reddit, people are anonymous, so they can post anything they like without a single care. To add, FB groups usually have strict rules and posting guidelines, some of them would even have post approval by admins. But not all groups are equally great, it depends on the moderation.
One time an acquaintance asked 'What's the best instrument - hands down??'

Me (being the multi-instrumentalist that I am) posted a picture of some poor sap's butthole – probably from a medical journal, and also knowing one can get some amazing tunes from one's own toot-shute – ....

Sadly, I got banned so quickly, it winded me.

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
I liked them. But the feed layouts on PC and mobiles are just abysmal without any proper curation options and all these recommended groups on my feed are more annoying then Youtube recommends.