• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
How about that? Facebook doing something useful for a change.

CNN said:
A new feature is rolling out on Facebook and Instagram to combat the spread of anti-vaccine misinformation.

Facebook, which owns Instagram, announced on Wednesday that educational pop-up windows will appear on the social media platforms when a user searches for vaccine-related content, visits vaccine-related Facebook groups and pages, or taps a vaccine-related hashtag on Instagram.

If the user is based in the United States, the pop-up window will connect the user to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for credible information on vaccines. If the user is outside of the United States, it will connect them to the World Health Organization.

190904102358-03-facebook-vaccine-education-split-exlarge-169.jpg

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This is a half assed measure. Either ban content or have the pop up display the site instead of giving them the option to skip.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WHO?!? GLOBALIST SCUM TRYING TO POISON MY KIDS! Vaccines really ARE dangerous! :O

And so it goes.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
The fact that Facebook thinks this will actually make up for the fact that they've allowed spreading anti-vax propaganda for so long demonstrates just how out of touch they are.

It's like claiming the CNN is going to counteract Fox News.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or better yet, don't allow that nonsense to be posted on the platform you control.
Yet another half-assed measure, by Facebook.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I support it to help stop ignorance.

I have a concern about it eventually being misused by states to force facebook to provide disinformation. Not that facebook needs any help with that...

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Ban the content Facebook. You know it's bullshit stop profiting off it via the engaged users and do the right thing.

they wont

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good change.

I think that they should remove the preamble "When it comes to health everyone wants to be..." blah blah, and just stick straight up "Learn why The World Health Organizations Recommends Vaccinations to Prevent Many Diseases"

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
These people aren't against vaccines because of a lack of awareness. They are aware of the facts and actively reject the facts.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fine with me. At PAX this weekend, I literally saw anti-vax protestors yelling at people from the sidewalk. This shit has gone way too far.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever someone posts a dumb story about Trump can they display a popup with the US Constitution to the 25th Amendment?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's easy to say just ban it, but that adds a new level level of opposition. Ban something and then they have to deal with all the "freedom of speech" bullshit and censorship complaining.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the end result of this will just be the addition of "the globalists got to my facebook account" as part of their conspiracy theory.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to say just ban it, but that adds a new level level of opposition. Ban something and then they have to deal with all the "freedom of speech" bullshit and censorship complaining.
And you know the system would be full of false positives from people complaining about anti-vaxxers.