• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
In 2017, Facebook's Mark Chevillet gave himself two years to prove whether it was feasible to build a non-invasive technology able to read out 100 words per minute from brain activity.
It's been two years, and the verdict is in: "The promise is there," Chevillet told IEEE Spectrum. "We do think it will be possible."

As research director of Facebook Reality Labs' brain-computer interface program, Chevillet plans to push ahead with the project—and the company's ultimate goal to develop augmented reality (AR) glasses that can be controlled without having to speak aloud.

Chevillet's optimism is fueled in large part by a first in the field of brain-computer interfaces that hit the presses this morning: In the journal Nature Communications, a team at the University of California, San Francisco, funded by Facebook Reality Labs, has built a brain-computer interface that accurately decodes dialogue—words and phrases both heard and spoken by the person wearing the device—from brain signals in real time.

The results are an important step toward neural implants could be used to restore natural communication to patients who have lost the ability to speak due to stroke, spinal cord injury, or other conditions, says senior author and UCSF neurosurgeon Edward Chang.

Facebook, however, is more interested in building augmented reality glasses than biomedical devices. This work provides a proof of principle that it is possible to decode imagined speech from brain signals by measuring the activity of large populations of neurons, says Chevillet. "This [result] helps set the specification of what type of a wearable device we need to build."

In April, Chang's team premiered a different brain-computer interface able to directly decode speech from brain signals. The goal of the work described in today's release was to boost the accuracy of decoding brain activity. "We're decoding two kinds of information from two different parts of the brain, and using that as context," says Chang. The result is a "sizable impact" on the accuracy of the decoding, he says.
By adding context, answers are significantly easier for a brain-computer interface to predict, says Chang. The system was able to decode perceived (heard) and produced (spoken) speech with an accuracy of up to 76 percent and 61 percent, respectively, using a restricted set of specified questions and answers. But the team says it hopes to expand the system's vocabulary in the future.
In the meantime, Chang hopes to soon bring meaningful change to patients who cannot speak. All the team's work so far has been done with volunteers who are able to speak, so the team will now spend a year working with a single research participant with speech loss to generate text on a computer screen. All the data will be collected by UCSF and kept confidential on university servers. Meanwhile, all results from the collaboration with Facebook are being published and made accessible to the academic community, emphasizes Chang. "I hope it's not just benefitting what we're doing, but the entire field."

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why would anyone buy this for the first few gems. Besides security and privacy issues it seems stupid to put first gen tech in your body

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They can't even handle running a webpage, you going to trust them with your brain?

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
We can't allow Facebook to seep their way into people's physical lives, nor can Libra be allowed to thrive by that scummy company. It would be the advent to even worse exploits.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tin foil hats are starting to make sense now.

I'm going to need to start wearing one.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Facebook is the last company I'd want to buy something like this from. But it is cool sounding

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Really not looking forward to governments getting access to these types of gadgets in the future.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Computer brain interfaces might be great but the last company I'd want to buy one from would be Facebook.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If we ever see the day when internal brain augmentations are used they'll be a bugger to upgrade. Worse than an original iMac, an absolute fucking nightmare I'd imagine. And, yes, Facebook can fuck right off with this bollocks.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
This is potentially amazing technology. Or horrifying.

Either way, I don't want Facebook reading my brain

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They can't even handle running a webpage, you going to trust them with your brain?

I imagine they'd sell out the analytics to more shit like Cambridge Analytica. Yay psycho-analysis targeted ads and news. Fuck off Zuckerborg, I will not assimilate. I support the tech from different companies used for medical purposes, however

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine people being cancelled because of their tweets they made ten years ago

And then imagine all their thoughts being made public

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those areas that engenders fascinating ethics discussions about technology and its use and misuse. Anything powerful needs to be used responsibly and ethically, and that can certainly happen with the right care and regulation.

The biomedical applications can do great good, allowing people who can no longer speak to speak again as the first obvious example. It's very concerning what could be done by unethical governments and corporations. Anything Facebook does in this area makes me run from the room with the screaming heebie-jeebies.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
feels like part of a plot point that's gonna be in Watch Dogs 3

Oct 25, 2017
none of this technology based on analyzing neural technology has to actually work for it to be dangerous - in fact the more poorly it works and the less people understand it, the more dangerous another particular scenario is!

this is similar to when people postulated that there were ridiculous singular WARRIOR GENES that could predict a propensity for violence, or really that there are any single genes that own explain complex behaviors

(here's a good article debunking that particular claim)

people who don't understand what they're doing, but are highly motivated to make some sweet cash, are gonna drum up sensationalist fervor that certain patterns of brain waves are predictors for certain behaviors by running various machine learning algorithms on the massive databases of brain activity data until they get interesting results once

there will be a few areas like seizure prediction that really do work that simply and cleanly, but from there people will unjustifiably act as though everything can be predicted just as easily

we know now that sickle cell anemia is an outlier and that most traits are not that simple - the same will happen with analysis of brain activity, mark my words

Oct 28, 2017
Funny how you've got this really amazing tech being made but everybody here is acting like Facebook is literally the MOM company from Futurama or something.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love trying out new tech, but Facebook and other tech companies have lost my and others trust when it comes to stuff like this.

I'll just stay old school in the future and stick to my cell phone.

Oct 28, 2017
i'm not afraid of malicious actors, i'm afraid of... negligent ones, to put it nicely
Facebook would be stepping on a huge land mine to try and monetize your thoughts with a medical device like this. This is likely going to be a device they sell and they are trying to diversify their earnings beyond ad revenue. It's not like they bought and invest into Oculus so they can show you VR ads. It's a product they're trying to make profitable on its own. Same thing here.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
24/7 surveillance and data stream exploitation of the human experience for the purpose of even more exploitation through systemically assisted behavior modifications.

Delete.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Connecting something own by FB into my brain might be one of the dumbest things imaginable. Might as well give China all my passwords and open a box of malaria infected mosquitoes into my house while I'm doing dumb shit.