• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose it's going to need some sort of cable to connect it to a pc that doesn't have a usb-c connection with video out.
But this is god damn huge.
I really hope we can use SteamVR, but not holding my breath.
Also, I thought only the new dev board from QC could do this. How did they implement it here?

This seems like it just works through standard USB to USB-C:

"Zuckerberg said the system works with "most USB-C cables" that are out there. "

Also, SteamVR natively supports Rift already.

Deleted member 35895

user requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2017
So basically, the Quest provides the tracking information to the PC, and the PC provides the rendering juice and pushes the content back through the Quest's video feed? Does USB-C even have enough bandwidth to allow this kinda round-trip?

It's a pretty smart solution though. They basically made the Quest the Switch of VR

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Oculus Quest is a completely stand-alone headset with basically high-end cell phone processing. The game can look great but will never compare to a high end PC which is what you'd use with a Rift or Vive. This lets you use your Quest like a Rift or Vive by plugging it into a USB port. It's the best of both worlds basically.

oooh. Yeah this is cool. so how long til the powerful of stuff is wireless?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
This seems like it just works through standard USB to USB-C:

"Zuckerberg said the system works with "most USB-C cables" that are out there. "

Also, SteamVR natively supports Rift already.
But usb-c cable seems to imply usb-c to usb-c, and what I currently have doesn't support alternative modes, so no display or anything like it, just usb data, so I don't think it will work with this.
I think this is mostly something for the usb-c integrated into the gpu, like nvidia has on their 2000-series.
On the SteamVR thing, I know that it supports the Rift, but I fear that Facebook is gonna block it somehow.
Either way, I think I'm good with my WMR headset for now lol

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is cool, but I really hope it's not limited to GPU's with USB-c output.
But usb-c cable seems to imply usb-c to usb-c, and what I currently have doesn't support alternative modes, so no display or anything like it, just usb data, so I don't think it will work with this.
I think this is mostly something for the usb-c integrated into the gpu, like nvidia has on their 2000-series.
On the SteamVR thing, I know that it supports the Rift, but I fear that Facebook is gonna block it somehow.
Either way, I think I'm good with my WMR headset for now lol
For SteamVR, the wrapper is to make Oculus software run through OpenVR, not the other way around that's required here.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm now fully erect thanks Oculus!, no seriously this make my Quest purchase so much fucking better it's mind blowing...

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the Oculus Blog states that you need a ' high-quality USB 3 cable', not a USB C cable. I have the title amended for better accuracy

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
If you don't have a VirtualLink port on your GPU you probably need to get an adapter like this one:

52ee5414eb5cf93e2676f46757d8ea65-480x320c01-1-1.png

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Sounded cool, then i find out that its not like the Oculus Quest is cheap by any means.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
ok, for those of us lost, what is happening here and why is it good and what problem is it solving...bc I'm lost
Here is a simplified summary.

Until now there were two product lines:

Oculus Rift: Tethered VR. High end experiences powered by your computer.
Oculus Quest: Portable VR, no PC required. Low end experiences powered by mobile hardware housed in the headset itself.

Now you will be able to optionally tether Quest to a PC, essentially turning it into a Rift. You now have the best of both worlds, (portability and power) in one device.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see what lengths of cable it can support, and if longer ones work, how they deal with the strain on ports from the cable being stepped on and such.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This is really really big, it is very difficult to recommend any other headset for the mainstream.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Sounded cool, then i find out that its not like the Oculus Quest is cheap by any means.
I would disagree with this statement.

For what the Oculus Quest is it's actually really cheap.

Given what it does it should be at least $600 not the $400 it's priced at.

Yes $400 in general isn't cheap, but the quest is well below what the expected market price for it is. I mean hell oculus has the rift s at the same price and has so much less to it.

Either way I wonder if this will work on my computer or if I will have to stick to streaming from my computer for now. though I will be updating my computer soon so it won't matter soon.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Does a regular USB 3 cable really have the necessary throughput for this? I mean there's probably a reason why nobody uses just a single USB cable for VR.

They also want to sell a premium optical fiber cable later this year which kinda tells me that the regular USB solution isn't really up to the usual VR standards. But I'll wait for hands-on impressions when this is actually out.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
80hz for S. honestly anything under 90 is pretty rough. Oculus has been heading in the wrong direction in that regards but they seem more intent on mass appeal rather than best experience.

72hz is unnoticable to me apart from the controllers (they definately look choppier in fast movement), looking around still looks very smooth. That being said hopefully Oculus Link can push the hz to 80 or even 90? I'm sure the panels can handle it.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does a regular USB 3 cable really have the necessary throughput for this? I mean there's probably a reason why nobody uses just a single USB cable for VR.

They also want to sell a premium optical fiber cable later this year which kinda tells me that the regular USB solution isn't really up to the usual VR standards. But I'll wait for hands-on impressions when this is actually out.

Regular cable wouldn't make the cut, you need the high quality ones. That or the optical fiber cable which they are selling

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
There's some other great news from the conference. Passthrough+ coming to Quest. Finger tracking coming to Quest.

The Quest is such a great platform / headset.

And the Quest comes with a high quality USB3 cable that's a decent length. I wouldn't be surprised if that one works.

Edit: Apparently not! It's USB-C to USB-C but not USB3. I didn't know such a thing existed.

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
72hz is completely unnoticable to me apart from the controllers, looking around still looks very smooth. That being said hopefully Oculus Link can push the hz to 80 or even 90? I'm sure the panels can handle it.
No idea. I don't know that they'd spec either of them to run above what they're meant to run otherwise it'd be a waste of resources. I guess it's possible if that's just the panels they already had regardless.

I really can't handle even 80, but it's probably because I've been used to a smooth 90 since the beginning. More than anything I want a higher refresh for next gen headsets, but oculus doesnt seem to care to go that way. Really hope they eventually release a successor to the rift that is meant to be more like a high tech next gen jump to at least have that option for people who want it. Otherwise I'd probably have to jump ship to vive or valve. (windows MR headsets really aren't bad either and theyre super super cheap comparitively witha lot of other headsets).

Also have to admit I'm a little salty that with all these new oculus headsets, I still think the Rift is the best one out now (definitely not the most convenient, but the best comfort/tracking/experience wise). And now there's software updates that seem to just be leaving the rift out. It'd be a downgrade for me to switch tot he S, but I doubt we'll ever see something like the hand tracking on the rift at this pt.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
As a quest owner with a decent PC...this is the best possible thing they could have announced and (to me at least) was completely unexpected.

So basically...I need to buy a decent USB3 to USBC cable and I should be good to go right?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

This is from Oculus product manager on Reddit right now:
It's a custom fiber optic usb 3 cable we designed specifically for VR. However at launch you can use most high performance usb 3 cables.
Also
We invented some compression techniques as well as added a bunch of tweaks and improvements into the rendering pipeline as well as transport to make this all work. It's not just a direct video feed. We have a blog post coming out that will explain under the hood.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
Regular cable wouldn't make the cut, you need the high quality ones. That or the optical fiber cable which they are selling
I mean cables using USB-A in general. High quality ones don't help when the port doesn't support more. USB-C can have a much higher data throughput than anything possible using an USB-A port.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Holy shit, this changes everything. I can't use Rift S because of my IPD, Quest works perfectly even without wearing glasses but I sent it back because you couldn't use anything other than the Oculus store. Guess I'm going to need to order a Quest again soon :D

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Nice one Oculus you have single handily killed the Rift S. Why not a Rift Pro that has higher specs and this shit built in for Enthusiasts? Sorta a disappointment but I guess it's fine.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
This is from Oculus product manager on Reddit right now:

Also
I saw that, but that just tells me that they sacrificed something to make it work on lower speed cables. You can't just push more data through a cable than it can physically support, so they probably have to compress it more which might be somewhat mitigated by the processing power of the Quest headset, but it might also result in a lower quality picture compared to the Rift S etc.

That's why I said I'll wait for actual impressions, because just saying "it works" doesn't really tell the whole story.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
the Oculus Blog states that you need a ' high-quality USB 3 cable', not a USB C cable. I have the title amended for better accuracy

Yeah. I've seen posts on Reddit talking about the lousy transfer speeds (from an SSD drive) that was solved by replacing the included USB-C cable with a USB-C cable that ran at full speed. You don't need a premium cable, just a cable that actually runs at USB-C speeds. I suspect they're cheap on Amazon.

80hz for S. honestly anything under 90 is pretty rough. Oculus has been heading in the wrong direction in that regards but they seem more intent on mass appeal rather than best experience.

On the other hand, they're the only one left who's released a new HMD that uses OLED instead of LCD. The Quest screens are beautiful. Only downside is the comfort, but it's easily modable. The Quest + Vive DAS headstrap + Counter-weight = fantastic device. IMO it's the HMD to buy. I wish 90hz could be unlocked, but otherwise pretty much what I wanted out of Gen 2.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
On the other hand, they're the only one left who's released a new HMD that uses OLED instead of LCD. The Quest screens are beautiful. Only downside is the comfort, but it's easily modable. The Quest + Vive DAS headstrap + Counter-weight = fantastic device. IMO it's the HMD to buy. I wish 90hz could be unlocked, but otherwise pretty much what I wanted out of Gen 2.
Yeah, that's fair, OLED is very nice. I don't think it's enough to consider it a worthy upgrade from a Rift, unless you absolutely need to get rid of external trackers.

All in all I wouldn't mind I just either want the original rift to get some love with software updates or just release a true successor to it?

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
i really REALLY didn't want to get a gaming PC. I'm a console guy, a Mac user, and a Quest guy... and the Quest is basically a Console VR.

Now, with this announcement, and Apple not looking like they're EVER going to make their machines VR gaming-friendly, I guess I'm going to have to buy a gaming PC for VR. MAN, i don't want to do it. Don't want to go spending so much money, getting super expensive graphics cards, worrying about compatibility and all that PC stuff I left behind when i switched to Mac.

But damn. i guess this is where the wind blows.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's fair, OLED is very nice. I don't think it's enough to consider it a worthy upgrade from a Rift, unless you absolutely need to get rid of external trackers.

All in all I wouldn't mind I just either want the original rift to get some love with software updates or just release a true successor to it?

I'd be skeptical of it ever happening. It just makes too much sense to merge the lines in the future. 802.11ay will hopefully be ratified next year. That will give us short range wifi with insane bandwidth. A mobile powered HMD with a wireless add-on for PC usage seems like the obvious choice going forward. Once you've gone wireless, there's just no going back. All they really have to do is make a more comfortable halo design and people could have a no-compromise solution regardless of how they wanted rendering handled.