• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso - who is returning to the real F1 grid in 2021 - was involved in an accident last weekend in an iRacing race where he appears to deliberately crash into and take out one of his opponents.

Footage from the game's replay system shows that Alonso ploughs straight into the back of the car ahead in the braking zone for Turn Five at the Daytona Road Course:

There has been no word from iRacing as to whether Alonso will be disciplined for this incident.

Former F1 driver Scott Speed was banned from iRacing for a similar incident in 2018. There was controversy last year during an iRacing IndyCar event when racer Simon Pagenaud took out Lando Norris, who was leading during an exhibition race.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You all laugh but clean racing is where its at according to my sim homies. An alleged professional doing this because it ain't real is quite something, I suppose.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
He's a Renault junior driver, hasn't got the experience yet.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
If he's capable of doing something like this in a video game, then there's no doubt in my mind that he's just as capable of doing it in real life. The man is a menace to his fellow drivers.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lock him up with no parole. I don't feel safe with this man walking around free.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
That's why ghosting should be a standard feature. But I guess iRacing is too lost on the need to be "real" to have such a feature.

Fernando Alonso getting salty and ramming someone means racing sims shouldn't exists? That's a hell of a take.

iRacing is a sim, not a game. The whole point is to attempt to model reality.

Asking for ghosting in iRacing is as dumb as asking for realistic tyre wear and damage modelling in a Mario Kart.

OP
OP
Blent

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
For pro drivers sim Racing taking itself too seriously is the joke.
Motorsport is an incredibly privileged field of sport that is almost entirely inaccessible to the majority of people who would love to race.

iRacing is so popular because real racing is so unaffordable and closed off. iRacing is as serious as simracing gets and a lot of people put a lot of their time into competing and developing their skills just because they love to race.

Real life drivers coming on and treating it like a joke when they make a cushy living off of getting to race actual cars on actual circuits is a pretty shitty thing to do.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Fernando Alonso getting salty and ramming someone means racing sims shouldn't exists? That's a hell of a take.

Asking for ghosting in iRacing is as dumb as asking for realistic tyre wear and damage modelling in a Mario Kart.

Easy there. Where did I say that "sims shouldn't exist"? That's a wild hot take.

I could go further arguing about the need of game oriented features on, you know, a game, but having some experience with real racing cars I'll just stop after the "iRacing is not a game" thing.

Have a good day.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Alonso just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Motorsport (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is Forza Motorsport 7 where you can become successful by crashing into people and being an asshole. If you screw someone over in iRacing you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Alpine F1 team, after hearing about this, are not going to want to keep Alonso for the 2021 season nor will the FIA allow him in any other team. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Alonso has alienated an entire market with this move.
Alonso, publicly apologize and cancel your iRacing subscription or you can kiss your drive goodbye

Last edited:

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Apart from the footage of the car clearly not breaking, is there any context to the clip?

What happened between the 2 cars before it?

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

You're assuming iRacing has realistic tyre wear. Nicki Thiim's rant about it (and ironically, the toxic iRacing community) is worth a watch.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Jesus I didn't know what iRacing was and for a minute I was like fuck Fernando why would you do something so horrible?

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
This is how I play racing games all the time online. I guess I'm just like a professional now!