• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's the handling compared to F1 2019? I'm not sure if I want to stick with it for a bit or just jump to 2020 right now.
Pretty similar to F1 2019, but definitely harder to keep control in rain and when getting out or the apex. It might be because the car they give you at the start in My Team is shit, but on rain is UNFORGIVING AS HELL.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Well colour me impressed. I've bought the f1 games every year for a long time and this feels like the biggest yearly step up that I can remember. My team mode is a very nice new addition and there's lots of smaller changes and upgrades that I wasn't expecting. I'm so used to playing the game at launch and feeling like I should have waited.

It used to be a big problem that they would fix/ add stuff after launch in one game and it would just not show up in the next at launch, almost like they had two different teams doing pre and post launch work on the game and they didn't talk to each other at all. This is the first time it feels like they've put out a game at launch which has all the QoL included. For example, it seems AI do nicely dodge out of your way in practice and quali, which I don't think any of these games ever had at launch, it was added in post launch to the 2019 game. I was fully expecting to see dumb as shit blue flag AI again, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is the black Mercedes in the game?
You mean the new Livery? Not yet, but it should come with an Update. Same for the McLaren one, and i think at least one other team changed it's livery after the game was already finished.
Also 2020 F2 stuff is coming in a later update too.

Thats the Mercedes currently ingame:
unknown.png

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
We reviewed it for Colectiva Xbox, our humble argentinean media (in Spanish). Captures and voice are both mine.

Summary: a solid step forward in the constant evolution of the series, which only weakness is the relative scarceness of historic content (cars older than 1988 have been left behind, and that´s a mistake, considering the vast legacy of F1).

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
The question is now, will we see Mugello.
Codies has openly stated no new tracks, maybe Hockenheim if it returns to the calendar. Because making those tracks that were never in the Codies era game is a monumental task that takes up to a year.
Pretty similar to F1 2019, but definitely harder to keep control in rain and when getting out or the apex. It might be because the car they give you at the start in My Team is shit, but on rain is UNFORGIVING AS HELL.
Handling is easier because cars have much more traction and kerbs are not murderous any more. And yeah the starting car is a shitbox.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've decided to hold off for now, though the reviews sound ultra tempting. Im getting Ghost Of Tsushima soon so I'll be on that quite a bit. I've never gone two years not buying an F1 game dating back to F1 97 but I think with the new consoles also coming and PS5 haptic feedback I might get it for those consoles if it's ported across

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Codies has openly stated no new tracks, maybe Hockenheim if it returns to the calendar. Because making those tracks that were never in the Codies era game is a monumental task that takes up to a year.

Handling is easier because cars have much more traction and kerbs are not murderous any more. And yeah the starting car is a shitbox.

RE: Handling

I asked originally cause in 2019, without any TC assist, accelerating out of a corner is frustrating as hell to me. Either I nail it but somehow end up slower than the cars in front of me, or I spin out if I go even 1% above what I should in terms of throttle. I don't necessarily hate playing without assists so the game feels much better with TC on medium, but if I can do 2020 with no assists I'd feel much happier.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
RE: Handling

I asked originally cause in 2019, without any TC assist, accelerating out of a corner is frustrating as hell to me. Either I nail it but somehow end up slower than the cars in front of me, or I spin out if I go even 1% above what I should in terms of throttle. I don't necessarily hate playing without assists so the game feels much better with TC on medium, but if I can do 2020 with no assists I'd feel much happier.
No TC is always faster in both games, but yes in 2020 you can go on throttle after corner exit a bit earlier, but you will still need to do it carefully by gradually increasing throttle until wheels have grip.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I'm really impressed with this game. I have only played 2018 on gamepass this gen, it was good, but the jump on graphics on 2020 is abysmal :O

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
You mean the new Livery? Not yet, but it should come with an Update. Same for the McLaren one, and i think at least one other team changed it's livery after the game was already finished.

unknown.png
Cool thanks. I loved the black livery on the Mercedes.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing no OT?

Anyhow, the game keeps crashing on me.
Two crashes in the last 20 mins

edit:
I should mention I have only tried time trial mode.
I'm playing on Dx12, the crash occurs whenever the leader board is displayed

Last edited:

Arctic_Fever

Aug 6, 2018
LOL
LMAOF1.jpg

I got to play a bit last night and it felt good. Force feedback seemed more subtle, but also felt like it was communicating better. I jumped into 2019 the other day just in anticipation of this release, and I feel like I have a better idea of where the limits of traction are in this year's iteration. But I only put in, like, thirty laps in Australia, so still very early. Can't speak too much about general handling and physics, since I usually play with medium TC but have it off for now. But so far, I'm liking it.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game so far but I have run into the same issue I have every year in that I never know where to set the difficulty...

I started a "My Team" career and obviously, I actively don't want to win races lol. At the beginning my team is supposed to be struggling and fighting with backmarkers/mid-field teams but then I never know what % of AI to use.

I started at 85% but then I couldn't finish the Qualification Pace test on my first race... I assume you are still supposed to be able to successfully finish those tests right? Since this is how you get R&D points, this seems kind of essential...

I lowered the AI % but then ended up doing P2 or P3 during the different tests so... Not good...

I'm just not sure where I actually need to put it to get the "real" experience...What should I be aiming for?

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I'm just not sure where I actually need to put it to get the "real" experience...What should I be aiming for?
85 seems like a good starting point. Maybe something like 82 then. Keep in mind that some circuits might suit you better. There are circuits where's it easy for me to gain on other drivers while other tracks are more difficult. I'd worry if you constantly fail to meet your own and team's expectations. Also, my experience with previous games were that opponents are slower in race than in Q. So, often when I struggled in Q, I still managed a good result in race.

It might be because the car they give you at the start in My Team is shit
I blame the starting car, too. Haven't tested a fully developed car. But it's skittish as hell over curbs, even with softer suspension which should actually solve the problem and did so in F1 2019.

Oct 25, 2017
Game seems buggy. I started My Team mode and had a great impression of it and was having fun. Then on the second race weekend in Bahrain I got disqualified for not using the required tire compounds soft and medium... which I did have and I remember seeing both of the compounds during the race (red striped tires for the first stint, yellow striped tires for the second stint).

I think I'm gonna wait a while until these annoying issues are fixed. Not gonna risk another hour for the game to be disqualified. The bug was reported on Tuesday and many have had this issue so hopefully there's a fix soon.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Game seems buggy. I started My Team mode and had a great impression of it and was having fun. Then on the second race weekend in Bahrain I got disqualified for not using the required tire compounds soft and medium... which I did have and I remember seeing both of the compounds during the race (red striped tires for the first stint, yellow striped tires for the second stint).

I think I'm gonna wait a while until these annoying issues are fixed. Not gonna risk another hour for the game to be disqualified. The bug was reported on Tuesday and many have had this issue so hopefully there's a fix soon.
There's a workaround at least. I think it's edit your tyre strategy pre race and then revert to the original strategy.

Also, my experience with previous games were that opponents are slower in race than in Q. So, often when I struggled in Q, I still managed a good result in race.
I was like that last year as well. But I'm the opposite this year. Managed to qualify p10 in Barcelona for Williams but I struggled badly in the race. I was 14th bunching up the cars behind me 25 seconds behind 12th place on a 25% race. Last place was 4 seconds behind me.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game so far but I have run into the same issue I have every year in that I never know where to set the difficulty...

I started a "My Team" career and obviously, I actively don't want to win races lol. At the beginning my team is supposed to be struggling and fighting with backmarkers/mid-field teams but then I never know what % of AI to use.

I started at 85% but then I couldn't finish the Qualification Pace test on my first race... I assume you are still supposed to be able to successfully finish those tests right? Since this is how you get R&D points, this seems kind of essential...

I lowered the AI % but then ended up doing P2 or P3 during the different tests so... Not good...

I set the difficulty lower to start with but I quickly settled on my usual 105 once again. It feels about right, I don't think the game is any harder judging by this.

It does seem that qualifying pace is harder than the others and I've seen other people saying the same. In Bahrain I did all the other practice regimes to purple fairly easily, like the low fuel one I was a second under time. But quali pace I was struggling to even match the green time and in the end I just gave up on going for purple. I think they might have got the balance wrong, I'll have to wait and see on that one.

Like I said though apart from quali pace practice regime, everything else seems fine difficulty wise.
I was like that last year as well. But I'm the opposite this year. Managed to qualify p10 in Barcelona for Williams but I struggled badly in the race. I was 14th bunching up the cars behind me 25 seconds behind 12th place on a 25% race. Last place was 4 seconds behind me.
I'm always like this. I think I am just better in qualifying, I'm usually defending my position in races. That being said, in my second my team race lots of AIs went for two stops and it didn't work out for them so I ended up in 9th after qualifying 17th.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I set the difficulty lower to start with but I quickly settled on my usual 105 once again. It feels about right, I don't think the game is any harder judging by this.

It does seem that qualifying pace is harder than the others and I've seen other people saying the same. In Bahrain I did all the other practice regimes to purple fairly easily, like the low fuel one I was a second under time. But quali pace I was struggling to even match the green time and in the end I just gave up on going for purple. I think they might have got the balance wrong, I'll have to wait and see on that one.

Like I said though apart from quali pace practice regime, everything else seems fine difficulty wise.

I'm always like this. I think I am just better in qualifying, I'm usually defending my position in races. That being said, in my second my team race lots of AIs went for two stops and it didn't work out for them so I ended up in 9th after qualifying 17th.
Yeah I've noticed in this most of my higher placements have been due to pit strategy. I managed to get up to 4th on a wet race is Zandwoort because most pitted for a set of inters, I stayed out. Held out for a couple of laps but dropped back to 9th. Track dried out and I went in for softs and just about managed to hang on for the two points. Other than that I've been qualifying well but struggling in race.

How casual mode? Forgiving for some who doesn't like sims? Is there an official thread?
This isn't a sim. Difficulty is incredibly granular and there's a lot of assists you can turn on. It's incredibly fun as a casual game.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How casual mode? Forgiving for some who doesn't like sims? Is there an official thread?

Casual Mode is very forgiving. Too much to my liking even. I think you're better off playing Standard and putting on the Assists you like. The only things Casual mode has over Standard mode is Easier Driveable Kerbs/Offroad, and Assists for Steering/Auto respawn on Track.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, after playing a bit more I think 85% AI will be good for me. As mentionned, the Qualy pace test is really difficult compared to the rest but I had good pace and would have have a good lower 10s finish (between 10-15 probably) if it wasn't for my pitcrew that decided to changing my front wing after the minor damage...

I know there's an option in the MFD to turn off the repairs but I almost wish it would default to off or like give you the option to pause the game when you enter the pits to set your pit strategy or something.

Btw, anybody else having issues downshifting really quickly? I don't know if it's as designed in the game overall, or maybe as designed because I still have a shitty car with barely any upgrades on it or maybe it's an issue with my Thrustmaster TX + F1 Rim wheel?

Like if I'm in 8th at the end of a straight and needs to quickly go down to 1st for an hairpin (like in Vietnam for example) I will mash the left paddle but it will often miss the downshift from 3rd to second so I'll stay in 3rd for too long.

I remember back in the early days of Cody F1 games, the devs for the 2010 game mentionned that their physics engine at the time was not good enough to downshift at full speed haha...but that was 10 years ago so I imagine they've fixed that since...

Oh and I'm not a fan of Vietnam so far after doing FP1 on it for the first time lol. Reminds me too much of Singapore and Valancian...Yuck

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if theres an Option somewhere to stop the game from Pausing if it loses Focus (i.e. by Alt-Tabbing on pc)? Sometimes do that when i'm in the pit/garage and its always annoying that the time doesn't continue to pass then.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I try to join ranked multiplayer...

soefXiZ.png

I can't play Career Mode or My Team, because doing practice or qualifying crashes the game. I can't play multiplayer because I am supposedly cheating (I am guessing this is a default error code or something). I can only do quick races, basically. I was really looking forward to this game, but I feel pretty deflated now.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017

soefXiZ.png

I can't play Career Mode or My Team, because doing practice or qualifying crashes the game. I can't play multiplayer because I am supposedly cheating (I am guessing this is a default error code or something). I can only do quick races, basically. I was really looking forward to this game, but I feel pretty deflated now.

You were playing as Ferrari right? Be honest... ;)

Embrodak

Oct 30, 2017
So my last F1 game was 1996 on the PSX. How does this compare?

Kidding aside, I don't want to buy a steering wheel. Is this game still enjoyable on a DS4?

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017

soefXiZ.png

Hmm that sounds weird, I know there's a lot of known bugs right now so a lot of this should be fixed soon. I see on the official game forums lots of people are reporting constant crashes in My Team, so you're not alone. Also if you're on XB1 that's behind on patches atm due to some problems what codies are trying to work out with it.

Unfortunately these games are always buggy at launch. Its just something codies have never worked out.

So my last F1 game was 1996 on the PSX. How does this compare?

Kidding aside, I don't want to buy a steering wheel. Is this game still enjoyable on a DS4?
I always play these games with a controller, on PS4 with a DS4 for 6 years in a row now and I've always loved it. The f1 games are designed for controllers first and foremost to be accessible to as many people as possible.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I validated my installation on Steam and it started working,. Huzzah. I guess something went wrong during the download.

Naru

May 11, 2019

unknown.png
Huh? Is it still not in the game? I've watched a gameplay video on YT and the guy playing was in a black Mercedes...

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
As there is no OT...anyone on PS4 having severe crashing issues? I have picked up the game today and am playing time trials to get used it. The game consistently crashes after 5-ish laps, has done so 4 times now.

I am going to try to move the game from the external hard drive to internal to see if that clears it.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
As there is no OT...anyone on PS4 having severe crashing issues? I have picked up the game today and am playing time trials to get used it. The game consistently crashes after 5-ish laps, has done so 4 times now.

I am going to try to move the game from the external hard drive to internal to see if that clears it.

Did not play for long but i did a 15m session in Spain another short one in Brasil and had no issues.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Did not play for long but i did a 15m session in Spain another short one in Brasil and had no issues.

Interesting...I can confirm that swapping it to the internal didn't clear it. I will have to try some stuff other than time trials. Maybe it's because I do a lot of restarting during time trials or something.

I kind of doubt it is an issue with my console, I have zero issues playing through Persona 5 & TLOU2 before this.

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
Ok, after playing a bit more I think 85% AI will be good for me. As mentionned, the Qualy pace test is really difficult compared to the rest but I had good pace and would have have a good lower 10s finish (between 10-15 probably) if it wasn't for my pitcrew that decided to changing my front wing after the minor damage...

I know there's an option in the MFD to turn off the repairs but I almost wish it would default to off or like give you the option to pause the game when you enter the pits to set your pit strategy or something.

Btw, anybody else having issues downshifting really quickly? I don't know if it's as designed in the game overall, or maybe as designed because I still have a shitty car with barely any upgrades on it or maybe it's an issue with my Thrustmaster TX + F1 Rim wheel?

Like if I'm in 8th at the end of a straight and needs to quickly go down to 1st for an hairpin (like in Vietnam for example) I will mash the left paddle but it will often miss the downshift from 3rd to second so I'll stay in 3rd for too long.

I remember back in the early days of Cody F1 games, the devs for the 2010 game mentionned that their physics engine at the time was not good enough to downshift at full speed haha...but that was 10 years ago so I imagine they've fixed that since...

Oh and I'm not a fan of Vietnam so far after doing FP1 on it for the first time lol. Reminds me too much of Singapore and Valancian...Yuck

wait to bang out the downshifts until some time after you slam on the brakes for the corner. you should be able to move right down the gears without "being" restricted by the revs if you do so

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Tested this out on my Alienware R4 17", i7-7700HQ, 1070, 16GB RAM. 1080p, ultra settings, ssrt off, 60+fps consistently. Looks gorgeous on the display.

LionelHutz

Mar 3, 2018
Hey guys, just wanted to ask a question about Split Screen, apologies if it's been posted before.

Myself and my housemate love racing games, and doing a split-screen championship would be great fun. What modes can you do in this mode?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
One of the biggest jump in features and handling on par with the excellent F1 2016 that started the upward trend of CM era F1 games.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Had my first crash in My Team yesterday. After tens of hours of playing.

I'm currently playing on easy, but I feel I'm getting better at the game. I have one of the worst cars in the championship, but I easily qualify pole now. But in the races I always fall back to the midfield. Should I just increase the difficulty for the qualification? It seems I am capable of driving decent laps in a fresh car with fresh tyres. But when I have to fight for position, have to pit and have to drive more laps I start to struggle..