• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

In this video F.D re-engages the concept of Edgelords but this time brings a few friends with him in the form of WHITE GUYS (yaaaaay...) This exploration caused him rethink the place that edgelords have in modern manifestations of how men see the world and how the world sees men, which forced him to finally begin thinking on the Manosphere and trying to break down exactly what it is and why it exists.

The part where he talk about his teaching years and how many students he lost, it hits hard

OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I fucked up and posted in the wrong section... but since he talks about edgelords in gaming communities i guess it still works

Asked a mod to move it to etcetera

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a Gary Vee fan but is he manosphere or manosphere adjacent?

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It's not really sensationalistic. It's a very sober and objective piece. He really does a great job breaking it down and showing the appeal it has for many young men.

Ah okay. Just a bit raw because I have a 14 year old I'm constantly having to "detox" after a few hours of PSN and is currently on a 7 day PlayStation ban for sending an edgelord meme to his friend.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Good video. The joker / Batman stuff was spot on. And yeah I think this should also have a thread in the gaming section people over there def need to see this.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
He was also interviewed here.

The Batman and Joker analogy from the OP video essay is good.

Like Batman itself is super weird. Rich guy uses his resources to pursue petty crime--originally. Instead of heck, why not build institutions instead? But it does speak to America's vigilante extinct.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I already watched this last week, but how you going to post an hour and a half video with no breakdown or discussion of it?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
He was also interviewed here.

The Batman and Joker analogy from the OP video essay is good.

Like Batman itself is super weird. Rich guy uses his resources to pursue petty crime--originally. Instead of heck, why not build institutions instead? But it does speak to America's vigilante extinct.

America doesn't want to fix the issues, they want to crackdown on the results. Which is Batman's entire MO.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I already watched this last week, but how you going to post an hour and a half video with no breakdown or discussion of it?
Yeah, I think that should be the standard for posting videos here. Not just post the video itself. Not to target the OP here. But as a general rule.

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
Solid video, but really waiting for the second part. I think there's enough materials about Gary Vee and his.. "ways" out there.

The part where he talk about his teaching years and how many students he lost, it hits hard
Yeah, that's a bit heartbreaking to listen to. I suppose he's been a really great figure if kids still sought him out years later.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
It was a good video, as are his others. Looking forward to part 2 where he breaks down the figures present in the manosphere. I wonder if could serve as an effective short hand to enlighten some caught under the spell of the likes of Jordan Peterson et al

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Watched this last week. Great video.

I think conversations like this are important. It's clear that much of space available for men to talk about social issues as they pertain to men and boys have been hijacked by toxic MRA types, misogynists and the "manosphere." But sometimes it can get lost that men and boys do need a safe space to have these conversations, in good faith, among each other and devoid of that toxicity.

I appreciate F. D. Signifier's channel for this reason, and I especially enjoyed the "group conversation" nature of this video. Some surprising faces, too.

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this last week. Great video.

I think conversations like this are important. It's clear that much of space available for men to talk about social issues as they pertain to men and boys have been hijacked by toxic MRA types, misogynists and the "manosphere." But sometimes it can get lost that men and boys do need a safe space to have these conversations, in good faith, among each other and devoid of that toxicity.

I appreciate F. D. Signifier's channel for this reason, and I especially enjoyed the "group conversation" nature of this video. Some surprising faces, too.

This is super evident when searching for parenting advice for men, too. It's so exceptionally toxic and falls into the same tropes. But definitely a hijacking/running off toxicity and not something that's intrinsic. Well, hopefully.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Whew chile, the thumbnail alone.

Feel like I'm gonna need a drink to get through this.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
That zoom on on telling white people about white supremacy lmao

I love this guy's content. Good research and good communication.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I just got into his videos. He describes complex and challenging ideas in a way that feels easy, when it's clearly anything but. Will be watching this soon. Maybe tomorrow depending on if I crash the second I get home from work.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone is supposed to think Eren is a hero.

He's so far gone from years of never ending war trauma and being shell shocked that he's completely warped now.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people on resetera need to watch 20 minutes of his video about leftist spaces.

Funny how the throwaway Eren discourse overshadows everything else though lol.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's true that while there is plenty of leftist content debunking or trashing on manosphere and misogynist content, but not really offering healthier alternatives for men seeking advice on life, dating, social skills, consent, sex, and other complex topics. That's why Noah Samson doing an impromptu livestream with Alice Cappelle on dating advice was a breath of fresh air.

Also safe spaces for men to talk about this stuff without getting radicalised into extreme right wing beliefs e.g. r/menslib.

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
FD is like the inverse of that one Austin tweet.

You ever see a take so good you immediately sub on Patreon

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Thoroughly enjoyed both parts. Definitely agree that we can dunk on these spaces but also need to reach out and try to deradicalize and deprogram them.

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
The second part was great, kind of what I was hoping to get out of the first one really.

Really interested if there will be more and what he might cover specifically.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not to derail the great F. D. Sig. But Munecat has also put out a great video on the same topic: