• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
User Warned: Long pattern of making misleading, poorly framed, and/or poorly sourced threads despite being previously moderated for it; Threadmaking privileges revoked
So-called "black fungus" infections are surging in India in the wake of a devastating wave of COVID-19. The rare but devastating infection can destroy the eyes and spread to the brain.
Cases now top 31,000, rising from an estimate of dozens to a few hundred cases just last month. Media reports have tallied over 2,100 deaths, but federal health authorities have not released an official death count.
In recent days, media reports out of India have noted children having their eyes surgically removed because of fungal infections, local governments declaring epidemics, and black-market sales of treatments for mucormycosis.
arstechnica.com

“Black fungus” surges in India—thousands blinded, maimed, dead

Experts hypothesize that a combination of factors linked to COVID is fueling the surge.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Never felt so much uncomfort in a matter of seconds.

JFC, stay safe out there India

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Please do not let this spread somehow to the rest of the world. Please governments, do your job

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not clicking the link because... I don't want to see black fungus on people's eyes, but is this a symptom of the delta variant of covid 19? Or a separate issue with a separate vaccine in the market?
"Many of the cases are occurring in people who are recovering or have recently recovered from COVID-19. The combination of poor hygiene amid the health crisis, the country's large number of people with diabetes—particularly uncontrolled diabetes—and an over-reliance on glucocorticoid steroids appear to be playing a role in the fungal epidemic. Steroid use can help treat COVID-19, but it can also tamp down immune responses and make people vulnerable to opportunistic infections, such as mucormycosis."

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I'm not clicking the link because... I don't want to see black fungus on people's eyes, but is this a symptom of the delta variant of covid 19? Or a separate issue with a separate vaccine in the market?
It's not directly related to COVID. It's hypothesized that the spread of the fungal infection gained traction due to the indirect rise of COVID.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with COVID directly. It's a sanitation/hygiene issue combined with steroid use in treating people with extreme cases of COVID.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
"Many of the cases are occurring in people who are recovering or have recently recovered from COVID-19. The combination of poor hygiene amid the health crisis, the country's large number of people with diabetes—particularly uncontrolled diabetes—and an over-reliance on glucocorticoid steroids appear to be playing a role in the fungal epidemic. Steroid use can help treat COVID-19, but it can also tamp down immune responses and make people vulnerable to opportunistic infections, such as mucormycosis."
It's not directly related to COVID. It's hypothesized that the spread of the fungal infection gained traction due to the indirect rise of COVID.
It has nothing to do with COVID directly. It's a sanitation/hygiene issue combined with steroid use in treating people with extreme cases of COVID.
It's not a Covid-19 symptom but related to hygiene and over-use of steroids.

Thanks everyone I appreciate the info. This situation in India is awful. It touches closer to home for me as the firm I work for has already lost 3 people in the past two weeks from our India office, and they were wfh. Seeing names and faces of people I had emailed and knowing they're gone just makes this chilling.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Absolutely awful. Is there any hope of COVID19 getting under control anytime soon in India?

Vaccine hesitancy puts India's gains against virus at risk
In Jamsoti, a village tucked deep inside India's most populous state of Uttar Pradesh, the common refrain among the villagers is that the coronavirus spreads only in cities. The deadly infection, they believe, does not exist in villages.

So when a team of health workers recently approached Manju Kol to get vaccinated, she locked up her house, gathered her children and ran to the nearby forest.

The family hid there for hours and returned only when the workers left in the evening.

"I would rather die than take the vaccine," said Kol.
Only less than 5% of India's people are fully immunized. Experts caution that by the end of the year, vaccination rates must go up significantly to protect most Indians from the virus that has so far already killed more than 386,000 people — a figure considered to be a vast undercount.
There is still widespread hesitancy fueled by misinformation and mistrust, particularly in rural areas where two-thirds of the country's nearly 1.4 billion population lives.

Health workers face stiff resistance from people who believe that vaccines cause impotence, serious side effects and could even kill. Some simply say they do not need the shots because they're immune to the coronavirus.

Rumors about jabs disrupting the menstruation cycle and reducing fertility have also contributed to fear and skewed the data in favor of men. In almost every Indian state, more men are getting vaccinated than women — and that gap is widening further every day.
When a team of health workers last week attempted to vaccinate Panna Lal, a resident of Sikanderpur village in Uttar Pradesh, they were met with an absolute refusal.

Lal even discouraged the rest of his family from getting the jab.

"The vaccine will not protect me," the 56-year-old told the workers. "God has sent me here safely, and he will continue to protect me."

apnews.com

JAMSOTI, India (AP) — In Jamsoti, a village tucked deep inside India’s most populous state of Uttar Pradesh, the common refrain among the villagers is that the coronavirus spreads only in cities.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Thread #3

www.resetera.com

Rare fungal infections that destroy eyeballs and kill are on the rise in India News

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/rare-flesh-eating-black-fungus-rides-covids-coattails-in-india/ https://www.theguardian.com/global/2021/may/11/what-is-the-dangerous-black-fungus-being-seen-in-covid-patients-in-india-mucormycosis

www.resetera.com

‘Black fungus’ disease linked to Covid spreads across India (7200 case so far, 50% mortality rate) News - COVID

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/21/mucormycosis-black-fungus-disease-linked-covid-spreads-india

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
As someone with diabetes let me tell you, anything that messes with your blood sugar can bring your immune system down so low that everything sucks. Common cold? Out for a couple of days. The flu is devastating. I can only imagine what recovering from covid in a poorly sanitized setting could do

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Is this routine for you OP?
Like this is like the Xth time you've just made fear mongering threads like this

Thread #3

www.resetera.com

Rare fungal infections that destroy eyeballs and kill are on the rise in India News

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/rare-flesh-eating-black-fungus-rides-covids-coattails-in-india/ https://www.theguardian.com/global/2021/may/11/what-is-the-dangerous-black-fungus-being-seen-in-covid-patients-in-india-mucormycosis

www.resetera.com

‘Black fungus’ disease linked to Covid spreads across India (7200 case so far, 50% mortality rate) News - COVID

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/21/mucormycosis-black-fungus-disease-linked-covid-spreads-india

I knew i wasn't tripping

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

apnews.com

JAMSOTI, India (AP) — In Jamsoti, a village tucked deep inside India’s most populous state of Uttar Pradesh, the common refrain among the villagers is that the coronavirus spreads only in cities.

Rumors about jabs disrupting the menstruation cycle and reducing fertility have also contributed to fear and skewed the data in favor of men. In almost every Indian state, more men are getting vaccinated than women — and that gap is widening further every day.

Well Christ, that's a new one :(

We need to significantly ramp up vaccine exports, but such widespread anti-vax sentiments have me worried it'll only get much worse from here.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I seriously doubt that India will get this under control within a decade from now... or ever. The various factors there are just a too grim combination.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
India has always had a serious hygiene and general cleanliness issue. I don't think there's been a time where I've gone to India to visit family and I haven't gotten violently sick from something seemingly innocuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.