• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Marmite based an ad campaign around the fact that, while it's insanely popular in the UK, nobody hates it quite like a large section of the population either!

And the whole campaign was ripped off in Sweden about ten years later for this crap:

Egg_sandwich.jpg

Spoiler alert: it is foul. And also not caviar, despite Swedes insisting on calling it that.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Club-Mate.jpg

Club Mate
Never seen it outside Germany, it's a Mate Ice Tea with a bit of sugar. Originally this stuff was consumed as an alternative to coffee and coke from nerds in the 80/90s. Now it's mostly bought by hipsters.

I hate this stuff, it tastes and looks like a water cigarette tincture.

At least in game dev circles it is pretty common in Sweden. Hell, the Wikipedia pages mentions it being popular with nerds:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
  • Le Donjon de Naheulbeuk (The Naheulbeuk Dungeon): A MP3 story from the early 2000s referencing D&D where a cliché RPG party explores a dungeon (and more with later seasons), all of the characters are played by a single guy, John Lang. It became so popular that comics (23 volumes as of today) and novels (4 I think) were also made (by the same guy, except for the drawing). A video game adaptation is also scheduled for 2020.

Euh...

I love Naheulbeuk but it's far from being "extremely popular". Outside of the geek/nerd communities, you'll have a hard time finding people who know of it. And even for the official geeks, i'm pretty sure not many of those under 30 have actually listened/read any ot it. They might have heard of it from us old fuckers, but that about it (and PoC is from Belgium).

Would you have said Kaamelott instead, then i'd have agreed on the extremely popular thing. :p

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Euh...

I love Naheulbeuk but it's far from being "extremely popular". Outside of the geek/nerd communities, you'll have a hard time finding people who know of it. And even for the official geeks, i'm pretty sure not many of those under 30 have actually listened/read any ot it. They might have heard of it from us old fuckers, but that about it (and PoC is from Belgium).

Would you have said Kaamelott instead, then i'd have agreed on the extremely popular thing. :p
I mean... I'm 20 myself and among my friend group everyone knows about it. It's definitely a nerd thing though

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Must is ubiquitous in Sweden during christmas and easter, but pretty much nonexistent in the rest of the world. It outsells Coca Cola during those holidays, and tastes pretty nice.

c7bad02d-7a64-4b74-86jjx6.jpeg

Wikipedia Julmust
Was just thinking about Julmust. Foreign IKEA's might sell it, but it never really gets traction.

Not my own country but our neighbour Sweden really takes the prize with their version of the hotdog.

Imagine a classic hotdog. Tge bread with a sausage in it. Then add a hefty dollop of mashed potatoes ontop. Weird? We're not there yet. Ontop of the mashed potatoes they then add rejesalat, which is shrimps mixed with mayo and chopped cucumber.
svensk-hotdog.jpg

This shit is so normalised that they sell it at regular hotdog stands on the street.

Denmark is literally just one bridge away and we don't understand this AT ALL.
Jävlasvenskar.

The Swedes do have a rather unique cuisine. Stuff like Kalles, surströmming, their love for hotdogs, ... Is smörgåstårta specifically Swedish, too?

As a Belgian, I can't really think of anything specifically Belgian that hasn't been exported. We had speculoospasta, but even that's gone international by now.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
As a Belgian, I can't really think of anything specifically Belgian that hasn't been exported. We had speculoospasta, but even that's gone international by now.

I would've said fruit beer based on lambik, but I'm actually not sure if it isn't popular elsewhere too.

And you gave Gueuze as a beer that can only be brewed in Belgium, but it's not exactly extremely popular here.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finland likes salmiakki. You aren't gonna find that shit elsewhere.
That's very very popular across the whole of Scandinavia. As a Swede living abroad since a long time I regularly import salmiak candy from Sweden and subject my friends and colleagues to it and they absolutely think it's vile. 😂

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Durian is best fruit and only seems to be agreed upon in Southeast Asia here. You westerners can't handle it (aka the truth).

Also, McDonald's Curry sauce is a hot commodity here in singapore whenever McD's decided to release it (it's limited edition) and i'm sure it's only a singapore exclusive.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
krembo-treats.jpg.480x0_q71_crop-scale.jpg

When visiting Israel, you must try... THE KREMBO .
You cant say you lived deliciously until you tried... THE KREMBO
Submit to the creamy goodness of .... THE KREMBO
krembo2.gif
These are pretty comon here in Belgium. The Milka chocolate brand (which is Swiss) sells them as Melo-cakes, but you have bakeries and pastry shops making them in-house too. And sadly (and unsuprisingly for Black Pete country) they have a racist/sexist unofficial name too, which translates as 'nigger's tits'. In the Netherlands they were even officially named 'negerzoenen', which is 'nigger's kiss', but they changed the name about 10 years ago.

They are also comonly sold on Portuguese christmas markets.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
That's very very popular across the whole of Scandinavia. As a Swede living abroad since a long time I regularly import salmiak candy from Sweden and subject my friends and colleagues to it and they absolutely think it's vile. 😂

I got got for this one a few times. I'll still hold that it's pretty localized to Northern Europe.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
These are pretty comon here in Belgium. The Milka chocolate brand (which is Swiss) sells them as Melo-cakes, but you have bakeries and pastry shops making them in-house too. And sadly (and unsuprisingly for Black Pete country) they have a racist/sexist unofficial name too, which translates as 'nigger's tits'. In the Netherlands they were even officially named 'negerzoenen', which is 'nigger's kiss', but they changed the name about 10 years ago.

I didn't know these had the racist name & imagery elsewhere as well. Kinda fucked up, truly, to have this wide-spread a treat sold everywhere for decades with such a name until just relatively recently. They had that same racist shit in Finland as well (as I pointed out earlier in the thread).

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
Balowt This card game is insanely popular back home to the point of national obsession.

I much prefer the name of the popular German brand.. Super Dickman

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The UK version is called Tunnock's Tea Cakes

tunnocks-teacake-232-p.jpeg

Kemono

â–² Legend â–²
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We in germany also have them. Called the negerküsse (negro kisses) for ages. Today it's called Schaumküsse (foam kisses) or schoko kuss (chocolate kiss).

And for the amusement of the english speaking world i give you:

PL1gVLk.png

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
music band Kent
Knäckebröd (crispbread?)- although this one feels not as current as back in the days.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why vegemite hasn't been marketed as gourmet Unami spread overseas. I feel like you're ready for it.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
krembo-treats.jpg.480x0_q71_crop-scale.jpg

When visiting Israel, you must try... THE KREMBO .
You cant say you lived deliciously until you tried... THE KREMBO
Submit to the creamy goodness of .... THE KREMBO
krembo2.gif
We have these in Finland too:
header-suukot.jpg

They were called N-word kisses until about 2001... The packaging is still a bit yiiiikes.

6436000091108.jpg

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Man those fuckers embarrased me or rather I was embarrased by my dad. Those things were called Negerküsse for a long time in Germany and a few years ago when we went grocery shooping my father had to tell me loudly to not forget the Negerküsse. >_> He learned the better way of saying Schaumküsse

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NhCdadY.png

Salmiakki in Finland! Aka salty liquorice. God tier stuff. Will mix with everything and make everything better:

Alcohol:

1Nz6IO8.png

Cholocate:

lZKnDwa.png

Condoms:

c2Idgxn.png

A-class stuff altogether!

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
music band Kent
Knäckebröd (crispbread?)- although this one feels not as current as back in the days.

Yeah, Kent tried a couple of albums in English to try and break internationally but it never caught on.

Knäckebröd is pretty common in there UK. The biggest brand there is called Ryvita and my local ICA in suburban Stockholm used to sell it, which was a bit like selling coals to Newcastle.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Japan loves Natto. It's huge there and I'm pretty sure only there.

Also, it's delicious.
Lies. I've only tried it once, on a rice roll from 7/11 and it was awful.
Spain: beer/wine during breakfast
I just wanna say that it is not normal, never done that lol
Finland likes salmiakki. You aren't gonna find that shit elsewhere.

I've been on a one-man crusade to bring Frescolita to widespread distribution in the United States from Venezuela. It's not going well but you're gonna suck on a can of sodium benzoate and fucking thank me for it after someday.
I love salmiakki, in small doses, but I like the type of saltiness it has.

NhCdadY.png

Salmiakki in Finland! Aka salty liquorice. God tier stuff. Will mix with everything and make everything better:

Alcohol:

1Nz6IO8.png

Cholocate:

lZKnDwa.png

Condoms:

c2Idgxn.png

A-class stuff altogether!
Again, pretty common in all of Northern/Northwestern Europe.
In Germany we have the so called liqourice equator dividing the country. The northern half loves it while the southeners hate it and are miserable as always.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Poutine. I'm surprised the U.S. hasn't appropriated it. In my experience, Americans don't care for it that much since fries tend to not stay crispy when smothered in gravy.