• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
nay, no one ever seems to mention spam when talking about asia

Who is "no one"? Spam is extremely popular in Korea and Japan.

No? American Football is very popular in Europe. It has especially become increasingly popular in Germany over the last years.

Salmiakki (salty liquorice) from Finland

IMG_7847.jpg

We love it. Be it in sweets, liquor or ice cream. Salmiakki is god.

koskenkorva_salmiakki_50cl.png
20130727-194128.jpg

Almost everyone I've introduced to it finds it absolutely disgusting here in Ireland.

Salmiakki is popular in Germany. Try Düsseldorf Altstadt, for example, and you can find that lethal Schnaps everywhere ;)

• Raclette: Not French but Swiss but that doesn't matter it's nowhere near as popular in the rest of the world as it is in those places. I feel like raclette is the winter equivalent to a barbecue. You melt some cheese in little pans thanks to a special machine and eat it alongside some potatoes and cold meat. It's extremely convivial and friendly. You can of course use some more original ingredients: change the cheese you melt, add some mushrooms, onions, leeks, etc.
Raclette_with_all_the_trimmings.jpg

Raclette is like the go-to thing in Germany for new years eve.

Either a lot of people here are very isolated and sheltered, or they don't understand the thread.

-NFL
-Peanut Butter and Jam
-Ranch Dressing
-Meat Pies

These are all things that are pretty fucking popular outside the respective countries that the posters posted from lmao.

Otherwise, love seeing all the stuff that looks weird as fuck and that I've never heard of.

Pretty much. But I have also seen some good stuff here. Sorry for disturbing the party.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
I want to say Dragon Quest, but I'm not sure if it's popular in any other country. Judging by the sales charts in Japan it's like they think it contains the antidote or something.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You want to talk regional popularity I got a weird one. Coffee brandy. I know it's over the world and here in the U.S. you will find it in any alcohol store yes (since some people seem to think it existing everywhere is against the premise of the thread though it's not.)

I have been up and down the east coast and lived for extended periods in 3 NE states and I have never seen Coffee Brandy drank to excess like the penobscot county area of Maine anywhere else. I worked in a store that sold liquor in the Newport/Corrina area for a year and every order they doubled until ordering more wasn't an option purely on space alone, and we still always sold out before the next delivery and it would be the same in other stores. Really weird.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017

This is a energy drink from Sweden. I live in Iceland and this is the most popular drink in the country and only became available in 2017. If you are in the 15-35 year range your body is like 60% Nocco.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's actually rarer to find something that's internationally popular.

I mean, if you look at India, almost everything popular here is something foreigners would never have heard of, be it movies, food, fashion, books... I wouldn't even know where to begin.

In terms of what might interest you guys, maybe paneer is a good start.

640px-Panir_Paneer_Indian_cheese_fresh.jpg

It's a kind of cheese that's frequently used a substitute to meat by the very large vegetarian population we have. If there is a meat dish that exists, you can safely assume someone's sold a paneer version of it: paneer pizzas, paneer burgers, paneer curries, paneer sandwiches, on and on.

I wouldn't say it's massive or anything but you find it included in most Indian restaurants in the UK, and stuff like saag paneer as a ready meal in supermarkets. We do have a lot of South Asian links so not surprising tbf. I love paneer with chilli

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017
New England USA here, while hurling is not popular, it's not absent either it's one of the few regions here you might find that kind of thing, I personally like it, probably my favorite winter olympic sport to be honest.

That's curling, not hurling.

Although I'm in New England too, and one day I randomly saw 3 guys hitting around a ball with their hurling...bats...or whatever they're called. The sport looks badass. I saw it on early morning TV when I was younger and always though it looked cool.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Does anywhere outside the UK have squash? You know the concentrate stuff you just add water to

I never see it abroad and couldn't imagine not having this shit as a kid.. (and as an adult). it's water but nicer!

568323.jpg

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's curling, not hurling.

Although I'm in New England too, and one day I randomly saw 3 guys hitting around a ball with their hurling...bats...or whatever they're called. The sport looks badass. I saw it on early morning TV when I was younger and always though it looked cool.
Yeah not my best effort, however as a forever optimist I think have something to research and learn about later.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Germany love their different shandies, dunno if that's a wider western Europe thing. Beer and Orange, Beer and Cola, wheat beer and lemonade, filtered wheat beer and lemonade, beer and bread. They have less pissheads so fair enough I guess

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This really interests me and hope to hear some interesting replies.

I am always rather surprised, and upset, when I hear about how the peanut butter & jelly sandwich is simply not at the level of popularity in the rest of the world as it is in the United States. I don't mean to say they aren't eaten anywhere else in the world but for all of America's cultural exports and globalization I can't believe the PB&J is not a more universal experience. The ubiquity of the PB&J, compared to its relative rarity elsewhere, will always make me sad for folks who do not enjoy one on the regular.

I was born in Poland but moved to the US as a baby.

I think the first time I had a PBJ was in college. That and white bread. I always thought white bread was too sweet.

My sandwhiches growing up were like
tomato and onion or coldcuts or hard boiled eggs. Looking back its kinda weird I liked a sandwhich that was just tomato and onion on bread. But that shit slapped.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The US is somewhat tough to do for a lot of things because it has so many micro-areas inside of it that carry their own traditions and fascinations (Pacific Northwest, The South, New England), so I want to present one of the most intensely popular food items to an incredibly specific part of the US.

The Garbage Plate

GettyImages-701095700_54_990x660.jpg

Found almost exclusively in Rochester, New York, or around there. This is a magical mixture of potatoes, macaroni salad, sometimes beans, two hamburger patties (or 2-4 hot dogs), topped off with meat-sauce, onions, and usually a nice covering of ketchup and mustard. It's immensely unhealthy but when I was in Rochester for college I learned that it is basically the ultimate meal.

And every main restaurant or food place in and around the city serves it (or a variation)

It's literally

GarbagePlate119.jpg

everywhere

garbage-plate-b154b8ed2edb48fc895d425d0fad729f.jpg

you

Garbage-Plate-The-Life-Jolie-TLJ-1.jpg

look.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Some Russians I met liked to make fun of Ukrainians for eating salo (bits of fatback). Not sure if it's a purely Ukrainian thing, though, or just how popular it is.

0c8b1a53-cce1-4b90-9c0b-64c063410142-620x372.jpeg
Lots of Russians love salo as well. Source: me and my family. It's made fun in the same vein as borscht and vodka sometimes made fun as a stereotypical Russian food/drink. Which is ironic since Borscht originates from Ukraine too. In reverse of that lots of Russians think (me included until very recently) that Shchi is a Ukrainian soup, but it's actually Russian. Amusing reversal of soups' origins in people's minds.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A close friend of mine is from Singapore and introduced me to Chicken Rice, which is legit one of the greatest dishes ever made. It's huge over there but unless you can find a Singaporean eatery it's nigh impossible to find in the U.S.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Does anywhere outside the UK have squash? You know the concentrate stuff you just add water to

I never see it abroad and couldn't imagine not having this shit as a kid.. (and as an adult). it's water but nicer!

568323.jpg
I've tried this before in the US - they sell it in the UK specialty section of most supermarkets. Honestly didn't like it that much. I do like currants generally though, they're superior to raisins.

miscellaneous houseplant

self-requsted ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny to me because as a non-american, I grew up seeing PB&J's all the time in american movies/shows, and yet I never actually tried one =P

@ Thread:

Brigadeiros and all other kinds of "party" sweets we have here in Brazil. I can't imagine a birthday party without these, they're almost as important as the cake itself!

iStock-981057966-724x450.jpg
Brigadeiros are good, but the real secret from Brazil is pão de queijo.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every single movie gets an intermission in India. Even American movies have intermissions built in by domestic Indian distributors.
This is true.

For a while, most US distributors did not cater to the intermission structure. In fact, there was a point in the US, that Indian movies that were shown in US theaters would have the intermissions cut out. However, in recent years, movie theaters that regularly show Indian movie do include an intermission of a couple minutes.

On topic, one thing that I don't see mentioned outside of India is Maggi. When instant noodles get brought up, most people talk about Indomie or Shin Ramyun, but no one talks about the goodness of Maggi:
91UArOY3RvL._SY445_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_SX339SY445SH20_.jpg

It's my favorite instant noodles.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I visited Europe Schweppes seemed really big over there - like Coca-Cola big. They also seemed to have a much greater variety whereas here you pretty much only find their seltzer and ginger ale.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Soda bread seems pretty specific to Ireland. I'm sure you can get it elsewhere, but it seems rare.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Licor 43 in Spain

I went there on a trip in high school and got so drunk off it I left my parents camera in a taxi

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Is peanut butter a thing outside the US? I long distance dated a girl from Austria and when she came here, it was completely alien to her.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried this before in the US - they sell it in the UK specialty section of most supermarkets. Honestly didn't like it that much. I do like currants generally though, they're superior to raisins.

You can get some really nice flavours, blackcurrant is the basic bitch one tbh. currently on this watermelon and strawberry squash and it's so good

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is "no one"? Spam is extremely popular in Korea and Japan.

No? American Football is very popular in Europe. It has especially become increasingly popular in Germany over the last years.

Salmiakki is popular in Germany. Try Düsseldorf Altstadt, for example, and you can find that lethal Schnaps everywhere ;)

Raclette is like the go-to thing in Germany for new years eve.

Pretty much. But I have also seen some good stuff here. Sorry for disturbing the party.
Haha, no apology necessary!

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ghormeh Sabzi
It's one of the most popular Persian foods.

f219_new-project-3.jpg

I think it's actually rarer to find something that's internationally popular.

I mean, if you look at India, almost everything popular here is something foreigners would never have heard of, be it movies, food, fashion, books... I wouldn't even know where to begin.

In terms of what might interest you guys, maybe paneer is a good start.

640px-Panir_Paneer_Indian_cheese_fresh.jpg

It's a kind of cheese that's frequently used a substitute to meat by the very large vegetarian population we have. If there is a meat dish that exists, you can safely assume someone's sold a paneer version of it: paneer pizzas, paneer burgers, paneer curries, paneer sandwiches, on and on.
That's interesting! Paneer is the name of cheese in Iran too.I mean not a special type of cheese, but all of them. We call every type of cheese paneer, for example paneer feta, penner pizza, paneer gouda and...

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This is a energy drink from Sweden. I live in Iceland and this is the most popular drink in the country and only became available in 2017. If you are in the 15-35 year range your body is like 60% Nocco.

Just saw some in a supermarket in Germany.

Did we have Onigiri yet?