• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Hello Era,

I'm not sure how to phrase this but one of the most fascinating phenomenons has to be local/national favorites that never transcend beyond borders, yet remain relevant, admired, and celebrated in a single country. For example, the Canadian rock group The Tragically Hip. Unlike The Arcade Fire, Rush, or Alanis Morissette, this group maintained a constant omnipresent popularity in Canada...and only Canada. Heck, I never heard of them until the lead singer died a couple years ago and Justin Trudeau devoted an entire speech about his passing. Here's their most popular song.

So what say you, Era? What are the most popular movies, games, books, food dishes, fashion accessories that are limited to a single country? And why is it that some staggeringly popular things never make the leap to universal appreciation?

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This really interests me and hope to hear some interesting replies.

I am always rather surprised, and upset, when I hear about how the peanut butter & jelly sandwich is simply not at the level of popularity in the rest of the world as it is in the United States. I don't mean to say they aren't eaten anywhere else in the world but for all of America's cultural exports and globalization I can't believe the PB&J is not a more universal experience. The ubiquity of the PB&J, compared to its relative rarity elsewhere, will always make me sad for folks who do not enjoy one on the regular.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I know some people will claim otherwise but really Kylie Minogue I think falls into this category. I love me some Kylie but the US sure doesn't. She's got pockets of fans but her base is definitely Australia.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
spam in hawaii even tho its a state

for foods only popular in the us id say sloppy joes and even thats not really popular here

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Australian Rules Football

It's actually a really cool game. I never understand why rugby seems to be more popular.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

I am always rather surprised, and upset, when I hear about how the peanut butter & jelly sandwich is simply not at the level of popularity in the rest of the world as it is in the United States. I don't mean to say they aren't eaten anywhere else in the world but for all of America's cultural exports and globalization I can't believe the PB&J is not a more universal experience. The ubiquity of the PB&J, compared to its relative rarity elsewhere, will always make me sad for folks who do not enjoy one on the regular.
PB&J is one the GOAT sandwich experiences so this saddens me if true.

spam in hawaii even tho its a state

Spam is also extremely popular in Japan.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017

What I came to post. PB&J is a lunchtime staple for me and my family. I've probably eaten thousands from the time I was a kid, and now my kid eats a couple every week. As I understand, peanut butter goes beyond uncommon in most places. It's considered kind of gross! I eat it with a spoon!

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Edit: I get it, I get it, you guys have paneer in Indian restaurants abroad. Now stop flooding my alerts!

I think it's actually rarer to find something that's internationally popular.

I mean, if you look at India, almost everything popular here is something foreigners would never have heard of, be it movies, food, fashion, books... I wouldn't even know where to begin.

In terms of what might interest you guys, maybe paneer is a good start.

640px-Panir_Paneer_Indian_cheese_fresh.jpg

It's a kind of cheese that's frequently used a substitute to meat by the very large vegetarian population we have. If there is a meat dish that exists, you can safely assume someone's sold a paneer version of it: paneer pizzas, paneer burgers, paneer curries, paneer sandwiches, on and on.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
I'm an American so here are a couple of my ignorant takes from some of my recent travel experiences:

Portugal: Fado
Scotland: Haggis
Peru: guinea pig and alpaca as food
Italy (particularly Sicily): cafe correcto
Spain: beer/wine during breakfast

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI

I mean, if you look at India, almost everything popular here is something foreigners would never have heard of

True, true. Westerns can be pretty narrow in their interests BUT there are other counties in the are like Napal. Bhutan, and Bangladesh that share media and food. Paneer is pretty fucking great tho.

Jul 19, 2018
I know some people will claim otherwise but really Kylie Minogue I think falls into this category. I love me some Kylie but the US sure doesn't. She's got pockets of fans but her base is definitely Australia.

She definitely did ok here.

'To date, Minogue has sold more than 80 million records worldwide. She has sold over 10.1 million singles in the United Kingdom alone, making her the 12th best-selling singles artist and the 3rd best-selling female artist in UK history. She has 10 Australian and 7 UK number-ones'

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Plain-Can.jpg

Scotland's one of the only countries in the world where Coke isn't the best selling soft drink.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, if you look at India, almost everything popular here is something foreigners would never have heard of, be it movies, food, fashion, books... I wouldn't even know where to begin.

In terms of what might interest you guys, maybe paneer is a good start.

Paneer is not well known in the US, but it's also not super obscure either; any Indian restaurant will have it, and I can go to my local grocery store and get a saag paneer frozen dinner.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Finland likes salmiakki. You aren't gonna find that shit elsewhere.

I've been on a one-man crusade to bring Frescolita to widespread distribution in the United States from Venezuela. It's not going well but you're gonna suck on a can of sodium benzoate and fucking thank me for it after someday.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil

It's funny to me because as a non-american, I grew up seeing PB&J's all the time in american movies/shows, and yet I never actually tried one =P

@ Thread:

Brigadeiros and all other kinds of "party" sweets we have here in Brazil. I can't imagine a birthday party without these, they're almost as important as the cake itself!

iStock-981057966-724x450.jpg

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Most Dutch foods: 'aight I'm about to end all of those careers."

Hagelslag (chocolate sprinkles you put on bread), Stroopwafels (syrup cookies), Frikandel (mashed meat stick) Kroket (different kind of meat sticks), Roze koeken (sweet pink cakes)

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017

I've noticed that peanut butter and root beer are beloved American institutions that a lot of the rest of the world often finds off-putting. Also baked beans can upset foreigners because the idea of adding sugar to beans is often considered repulsive.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Most Dutch foods: 'aight I'm about to end all of those careers."

Hagelslag (chocolate sprinkles you put on bread), Stroopwafels (syrup cookies), Frikandel (mashed meat stick) Kroket (different kind of meat sticks), Roze koeken (sweet pink cakes)
Stroopwafels are modestly popular in the US, actually (people here love to stick them over a warm drink to heat them up). Though I don't know if the version we get is any good.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Most local artists/filmmakers/writers/what have you don't go big internationally. Unless we're talking Hollywood/huge English-speaking music artists etc.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've noticed that peanut butter and root beer are beloved American institutions that a lot of the rest of the world often finds off-putting. Also baked beans can often upset foreigners because the idea of adding sugar to beans is often considered repulsive.
I tend to think of root beer as something that's widely available but not widely beloved. It's like an old timey flavor that's stuck around since the era of soda jerks and drug store fountains but isn't something that everybody drinks.

Although I'm shocked to hear at the global repulsion of baked beans. I grew up around Boston so it's part of my identity. Baked bean preparation is a varied art in and of itself. Feeling very attacked rn.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
USA-School shootings
insert -Marge simpson 'it's true but he shouldn't say it' GIF

Stroopwafels are modestly popular in the US, actually (people here love to stick them over a warm drink to heat them up). Though I don't know if the version we get is any good.
Ah, never knew that! Although I have worked at the airport for a while and US Tourists LOVED to bring them home with them. So fun to see.

Jul 19, 2018
I tend to think of root beer as something that's widely available but not widely beloved. It's like an old timey flavor that's stuck around since the era of soda jerks and drug store fountains but isn't something that everybody drinks.

Although I'm shocked to hear at the global repulsion of baked beans. I grew up around Boston so it's part of my identity. Baked bean preparation is a varied art in and of itself. Feeling very attacked rn.

Baked beans are ridiculously popular in the UK. Personally I fucking hate them haha

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Tim Horton's Coffee. Even though the quality sucks now thanks to it's american owners. it's a Canadian Icon. a sign of comfort on a long trip through unknown towns. It is as ubiquitous as our flag

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Must is ubiquitous in Sweden during christmas and easter, but pretty much nonexistent in the rest of the world. It outsells Coca Cola during those holidays, and tastes pretty nice.

c7bad02d-7a64-4b74-86jjx6.jpeg

Wikipedia Julmust

Last edited:

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
This shit is breakfast king for kids in our country, a lot of adults consume it as well, despite it still being marketed as for kids. I eat it every morning, haven't stopped since I quit sucking on my moms titties.

0895f364fd81af0b69046c5430e24a67-product_view-312723b40d9f9426445562ad749c10ea.png

Coolinarika_%C4%8Cokolino.jpg

It looks like diarrhea but trust me it's sooo good.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Extremely popular might be pushing it, but in the US: cheerleading and gun shows.