• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
So I grew up a Nintendo fanboy and as a result missed out on so many games that never came to the N64 or Gamecube (my first Playstation was the PS3).

However, at the start of July I went a bit mad and picked up both a PSOne and PS2 Slim for €30 each (yes I realize the PS2 plays PS1 games, I just wanted to have it!). Since then I've been going a bit even madder amassing quite a collection in just 2 months. I got some of these for free from charitable friends and most others for €3 or less from local shops. It's amazing how cheap PS2 games are. I think the most expensive thing was Dino Crisis 2 at about €20.
The only games in the pic below that I've played are all of those along the top row (bought because they cost so little) so I'm quite excited to start getting stuck into quite a few of them. I'm saving Silent Hill 2 for around Halloween obviously. I've played a lot of the classics in the ensuing years elsewhere (FFVII, MGS1, Tekken, Vice City etc) so I'm mostly limiting myself to stuff I've never played.

2FP1ln.jpg

I have yet to play any of them beyond making sure the discs work so no idea which I should dig into first! I'm thinking Outrun 2006 because Lord knows I could use some blue sky gaming with the year we're having!

Last edited:

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Nvm, i missed the that you played MGS1 lol. That's a good collection of games right there. If you enjoy Timesplitters definitely pick up 2 and Future Perfect.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Parasite Eve for PS1. It's overshadowed by all the other PS1 RPG's (which I'm sure people in here are going to recommend) but it's a good one.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy IX aka The Best Final Fantasy aka The Best Final Fantasy Soundtrack aka The Best Game Ever Made

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
All the Shin Megami Tensei games! They might be a little harder to find and a little on the pricier side, but some of the best JRPGs ever made were in the PS2 SMT era. Nocture is def the go-to, but that remaster is coming out next year so you could probably hold on that - but Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner and Persona 3 (and 4 if you don't want to buy the steam port) are all great games

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Ratchet and Clank series
Ace Combat series

You pretty much have lifetime of games to play, I kind of envy you!

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The games that hold up best on PS1 are mostly 2D. Tomba, Vib Ribbon, Parapa/Um Jammer Lammy, Bishi Bashi etc.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I see you already have Ape Escape 2, good. But know that it's actually the worst of the trilogy.

The three games are the peak of Sony's output, and as a Nintendo fan I think you'll adore them.

Jak & Daxter is also incredible, and can be finished in a weekend.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a shit hot tier PS1/2 starter pack. Make sure to pick up TimeSplitters and GTA sequels, and RE1/2/3 & Silent Hill.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Outside of the three Silent Hill titles you've got in the OP, PS2 has some other really tremendous horror titles:

Fatal Frame
Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly
Fatal Frame 3: The Tormented
Rule of Rose
Haunting Ground
Kuon
Echo Night: Beyond
Michigan: Report from Hell PAL
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Forbidden Siren
Forbidden Siren 2 PAL
Obscure
Gregory Horror Show PAL

My other favorite PS2 titles that I'd recommend, a lot of eccentric and weird games though:
Mr Mosquito
Shadow of Destiny/Memory
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Okami
Chulip
Gitaroo Man
Flower, Sun and Rain NTSC-J
God Hand
Psychonauts
Spy Fiction
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
Drakengard
Katamari Damacy
Yakuza
Yakuza 2
Raw Danger

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a PS3, OP? A lot of the best PS1 games have found their way to the PSN store.

PS2's most high profile games have gotten HD collections and re-release as well.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
PS1 the most beauteous:

Chrono Cross
DelightfulFriendlyHorseshoecrab-small.gif

FF IX
tumblr_n8anqykcme1tzeen3o3_500.gif

Legend of Mana
giphy.gif

Megaman Legends
f18d8cd090d90e584279906615cd3b98.gif

Vagrant Story
z2beGlC.gif

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2) is an amazingly unique RPG and well worth playing.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Don't play Dino Crisis 2. Just make a video of you snapping the disc and tag Jawmuncher.

You've got TimeSplitters, so that's my first suggestion covered lol. Gregory Horror Show is a great game to play at Halloween, and unless it's gotten rarer over the years, the PAL release of that was always fairly cheap (I don't even think it had a NTSC release tbh, or if it did it was a suuuuuper limited print). Micro Maniacs is my PS1 suggestion.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
PS1:
X-Men: Mutant Academy 2 - A great 2D fighter
Driver 2 - The first "real" modern open world game. It has pretty fun mission design.
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus - One of the best games of all time, in my book. A great story, timeless gameplay, and great art direction.
Need for Speed: High Stakes - Quite a good Arcade Racer, and hold up pretty well,
Metal Gear Solid - If you've never played this, you should play this.
Harry Potter 1-2 - These games are surprisingly good games. They are sort of linear action adventures that play a lot like Zelda64
Chrono Cross - Amazing JRPG, unique, interesting and one of the best soundtracks in gaming.
Um Jammer Lammy - Pretty good rhythm game, with a lot of personality
Crash Bash - Considered by many to be the last "Good" Crash game until the remasters of the original games on PS4. Inspired by Mario Party, it's a party game.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Dark vampire Zelda64-like.
Tekken 3 - A 3D fighter, maybe dated by today's standards, as the series has continued until today.'
Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX - While not quite Tony's Hawk's Pro Skater, it's close enough to be fun for fans of those, if you just want more content.
Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro - While not as good as the first game, it is still more Spider-Man fun. Would recommend to fans of the first.

PS1 games that may be better purchased elsewhere.
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX - All amazing and worth playing. [They can also be found with better ports on modern systems]
Crash Bandicoot 1-3 - Quintessential 3D platformers on the PS1. [They can also be found with remakes on modern systems]
Crash Team Racing - The Mario Kart64 competitor. [It can also be found with a remake on modern systems]
Spyro 1-3 - The other quintessential 3D platforming series on PS1. [They can also be found with remakes on modern systems]
PaRappa the Rapper - The original modern Rhythm Game. Full of personality and charm. [Was re-released on PS4 with updates]
Spider-Man - The original best comic book game. Loads of cameos, love put into ever inch of the game. Just all around fun. [Also available on PC and Dreamcast]
Tomb Raider 1-4+Chronicles - An amazing series for pioneering 3D level/puzzle design. Controls are kinda poop in this day and age. [Can also be bought on PC, and would probably play better]
Lode Runner: The Legend Returns - An amazing rerelease of one of the best trap-em-up games ever made. [There is a free fan-made reimplementation of this on PC that is better in every way]
Lego Racers - A Classic kart racer with some unique features. [While there is a PC version, it takes some work to get working in the modern day, but is otherwise completely better than this version]
Lego Island 2 - I consider this a classic that ran under the radar. Lots of fun mini games, and story beats. [Also on PC with 3 extra levels]
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-4 - Amazing extreme sports+arcade platformers and true video game classics. [The first 2 were just re-released on modern consoles, and 3-4 were also released on PS2]

PS2:

Amplitude - Classic Harmonix Rhythm game.
Burnout Dominator - Spin off to the best arcade racer of all time.
Champions of North/Champions Return to Arms - Diablo-likes with local multiplayer coop.
ChoroQ - A CarPG, aka an open world Car RPG. Bizarre and interesting, if that's your scoop. (Sequel to Road Trip)
Frequency - Another classic Harmonix Rhythm game.
FullMetal Alchemist 1, 2 - While not amazing, if you are a fan of the original show, each game is like an extra episode.
The Getaway / Black Monday - While even clunky back then, they are very interesting games, with unique ideas and well done stories.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Average 3D action game, but new GITS content, if you want it.
Gadget Racers - Sort of a mixture of Gran Turismo and a kart racer. Unique and charming.
Gitaroo-Man - One of the most interesting and charming Rhythm games of all time.
Klonoa 2 - A clut classic 2D platformer. With the rumors of a remake of the first game, it's possible you might want to wait and not pay inflated prices for this, if they also remake the second.
Lupin the Third - While clunky, it's humor and charm are carried through pretty well.
Ratchet: Deadlocked - Spin off to the Ratchet and Clank series, more of that. [Also on PS3, but I've heard that version is totally busted]
Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters - Originally a PSP game, the PS2 port feels like another PS2 Ratchet and Clank game, if you want more. [Also on PSP]
Road Trip - Same series as Penny Racers, Gadget Racers and ChoroQ, a CaRPG, or Car-RPG, open world RPG where you play as a car.
Secret Agent Clank - Another PSP game that made it's way to PS2, yet another Rachet and Clank game. [Also on PSP]
Smuggler's Run - A fun party car game about collecting items, and trying to keep them away from other players and AI cars.
SOCOM series - I never got into them, but classic tactical shooters.
Space Channel 5 Episodes 1 and 2 - While originally on the dreamcast, these ports include all you could want. Basically a boxed set [Also on Dreamcast]
Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing - A funny joke game, if you want to pull out a game just to say "yeah, this happened"
Stuntman - Made by the Driver team, a fun, but insanely difficult stunt driving game. Includes an arena you can make, and build your own stunts.
Syphon Filter Dark Mirror / Logan's Shadow - Both original on PSP, they are great stealth 3rd person cover shooters, and hold up pretty well.
Timesplitters - While a little simple, it, gameplay wise, is a successor to GoldenEye/Perfect Dark, same team.
Twisted Metal: Head On - Originally on PSP, its a sequel to Twisted Metal Black, and has content from a previous sequel to Twisted Metal Black that was canceled [Also on PSP with less content]
We <3 Katamari - The best game in the series, but has never been re-released or ported. A reason to own a PS2.

007: Everything or Nothing - Third person beat em up, cover based shooter with gadgets, coop and other fun things. [Also on GC/Xbox]
007: From Russia With Love - A sort of Spiritual sequel, gameplay wise, to Everything or Nothing. [Also on GC/Xbox]
Beyond good and Evil - Huge cult classic, mixes Zelda, Pokemon Snap and Splinter-Cell with it's own DNA [Also available on PS3, Xbox 360/Xbone(Via BC)/PC/GC]
BLACK - Shooter made by the Burnout team, crazy explosions, and set pieces, nonsense story. Still fun to play [Also on Xbox/Xbone(via BC)]
Burnout 3 - The best Arcade Racer of all time. [Also on Xbox/360(Via BC)]
Burnout Revenge - The sequel to the best Arcade Racer of all time [Also available on Xbox/360]
Dragon's Quest VIII - A classic JRPG, in the long running series.[Also available with worse graphics, but more content and quality of life improvements on 3DS]
Devil May Cry 1, 3 - The original character action games. [Also available on PS3/360/Xbone/PS4/PC]
Driver Parallel Lines - A fun Driver spin off, with 1 city but 2 time periods. Some nice gameplay choices and fun overall set up [Also on Xbox/Wii/PC]
Escape From Monkey Island - The final LucasArts Monkey Island game, it has mixed reception, but I love it. [Also available on PC]
Gitaroo-Man - One of the most interesting and charming Rhythm games of all time. [A version with 2 new songs, but worse graphics was released on the PSP]
Half-Life 1 - The classic, with extra content, a separate coop campaign, split screen versus, Keyboard and mouse support, redone graphics, unlocked frame rate.
Harry Potter 1-3 - Well made third person action adventure games. [Can also be bought on Xbox/GC]
The Hobbit - A fun 3D platformer/action adventure game based on the book. Also a great soundtrack [Also available on Xbox/GC/PC]
The Hulk - Alright licensed comic book game [also available on Xbox]
The Hulk Ultimate Destruction - One of the best Comic book games, not many games let you knock over skyscrapers in an open world. Also the precursor to Prototype. [Also on Xbox]
Jak series - One of the quintessential PS2 platformer series on PS2, combing great story telling and fun gameplay. [Also available on PS3 and terrible ports on PS4]
Jak X - The Racing spin off to the Jak series, combining elements of Burnout and Mario Kart. [Also available on PS4 with tech issues, but fixing a save erasing issue from PS2]
Killzone - While this game has some technical issues, and can be janky, the story, art direction and level design are quite good. [Also available with less tech issues on PS3]
Lego Island Xtreme Stunts - While not as good as Lego Island 1 or 2, it's still got some fun mini games. [Also on PC]
Lego Racers 2 - The sequel. I don't think it's as good as the first, but it's still fun in it's own right. [Also on PC]
The Matrix: Path of Neo - A Third person shooter beat em up. Rather simplistic, but quite satisfying. Clunky, and does have some weird choices. [Can also be bought on Xbox]
Mercenaries - A very unique open world game that is an interesting sandbox. You can call in air strikes, do things more stealthy, mix on foot and vehicle combat in a war zone. [Also on Xbox/Xbox One(Via BC)]
Metal Gear Solid 2 / 3 - Play these games. Do it. [Also available on PS3/360/Xbone(Via BC)]
Midway Arcade Treasures 3 - The best way to play Hydro Thunder, probably. [Also on Xbox]
Persona 3 PES - Persona is a classic JRPG, but there is no 'complete' version of it, as the PSP version added and took out a lot. With rumors swirling around about a potential remake/rerelease, I'd say to wait. [Also on PSP with a lot of new and removed content]
Ratchet and Clank series - Some of the quintessential 3D platformers of the PS2 era. [Also released in HD on PS3]
Sly Cooper series - Another one of the quintessential 3D platformer series of the PS2 era. Totally amazing and aged super well. [Also on PS3]
Spider-Man 1, 2 - These games are pretty good, though as they are movie tie ins, they don't feel as fleshed out as the PS1 games. [Also on Xbox]
No One Lives Forever - A classic FPS, think Austin Powers, but better. [While not technically legal, it's easy to find copies on PC that are way better]
The Punisher - One of the best comic book games out there, totally captures the insanity of it all. [Also available on PC and Xbox]
Timesplitters 2, Future Perfect - Continuing the legacy of GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, the team kept pushing FPS gameplay. [Also available on Xbox]
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, 4 - Continuing the trend of the series, these games continued to improve gameplay, and are just fantastic [Also available on Xbox/PC/GC]
Tony Hawk's Underground 1, 2 - Trying to branch out and try new things, the series continued to be good. [Also available on Xbox/PC/GC]
X-Men: Next Dimension - A sort of spiritual sequel to the X-Men: Mutant Academy series, but taking some cues from Dead or Alive, it's not bad, but also suffers from pacing issues as well as technical issues. [Also on Xbox/GC]
Twisted Metal Black - Dark twisted, and unique, it's hard to explain how interesting this game is. [Also ported to PS4]

Those are the ones I can give comment on. There's a lot I didn't play/play enough of to really comment, so its not an exhaustive list. I mean, there's a lack of many big things, like Resident Evil, or Silent Hill.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Ratchet: Deadlocked - Spin off to the Ratchet and Clank series, more of that. [Also on PS3, but I've heard that version is totally busted]
Can confirm lol. It's mainly just visual glitches from my experience, but it completely put me off playing it more than the first few worlds, and the original PS2 version was one of my most played games ever, and I would've happily put a lot more time into the PS3 port too, had it been good.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Can confirm lol. It's mainly just visual glitches from my experience, but it completely put me off playing it more than the first few worlds, and the original PS2 version was one of my most played games ever, and I would've happily put a lot more time into the PS3 port too, had it been good.

Shame, mate. It's better than it appears on the surface (The game itself, not the port). I remember going into it thinking it was going to be a low budget spin off, and ending up enjoying myself quite a bit.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Burnout 3: Takedown - My favorite game in the series. The car physics are just right. Takedowns never felt as satisfying and dynamic in any of the later games. Cool soundtrack too.

Devil May Cry and DMC3: Special Edition - Brilliant action game classics. DMC1 invented the stylish action subgenre, and DMC3 is still one of the greatest evolutions of the concept.

Play DMC3:SE on Hard for the original experience. The devs relabeled the difficulties for the Special Edition. Mainstream players found Normal too hard, I guess. But if you play DMC1 first, which you should, you'll understand the series is meant to be challenging enough that you've got to experiment with the well designed mechanics and use them to solve the puzzle of the enemies' patterns.

DMC games are the opposite of mindless hack 'n' slashers. Well, excluding DMC2 and the wacky reboot, anyway.

God of War - It's got frustrating difficulty spikes, and the combat doesn't hold a candle to the DMC series, but the gameplay is still really satisfying, and the setting and story are great. There are a lot of precursors to modern game design in this title.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
007 everything or nothing was really fun and had the cover mechanics already
def jam fight for ny, best in the genre
the getaway, great gta-like game

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
What setup do you have OP? I'd recommend making sure you have a decent way of sending the video signal to your display before getting anything else. If you don't have a CRT, that is.

OP
OP
chalkitdown

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Wow lots of replies and suggestions in here. I'll try to reply to as many as I can.

What setup do you have OP? I'd recommend making sure you have a decent way of sending the video signal to your display before getting anything else. If you don't have a CRT, that is.

I have PS2 Component cables connected to a 55" HDTV. Quality seems decent based on the brief time I've spent with each game. I'm not a stickler for haivng the absolute best picture for my retro consoles, anyway. I still play N64 with an AV cable.

Burnout 3: Takedown - My favorite game in the series. The car physics are just right. Takedowns never felt as satisfying and dynamic in any of the later games. Cool soundtrack too.

I played one race in this and IMMEDIATELY turned off the DJ. Holy christ he's annoying. Thank god you can turn him off. Also, I had some friends over a few weekends ago and wanted to blast through some of the crash junctions (since we loved them in Burnout 2 on the GC) but was bummed that they have to be unlocked via the Single-Player Tour. I hate when games lock multiplayer content behind single-player progression. More reason to play it, I guess!

I've played all the DMC games after 3 but none of the original trilogy. Have also played all of the God Of War games since.

Glad the most important one is covered.

I wanted the PS1 original but it's stupidlly expensive for some reason. Same with 3.

Um Jammer Lammy
PaRappa the Rapper
Spider-Man
Amplitude
Klonoa 2

These ones in particular are on my wanted list, assuming I can get them for cheap(ish). Cheers for the rest of the suggestion, I've already played a lot of them on other consoles, though.

Oh god, is it frustratingly difficult?

That's a shit hot tier PS1/2 starter pack. Make sure to pick up TimeSplitters and GTA sequels, and RE1/2/3 & Silent Hill.

Have played all of the above bar OG Silent Hill.

You pretty much have lifetime of games to play, I kind of envy you!

I'll never again NOT have something to play, that's for sure.

Man the list of hidden gems on those systems would be massive. What type of games are you into?

Bit of everything really, EXCEPT JRPG's. Never liked them.

If you enjoy Timesplitters definitely pick up 2 and Future Perfect.

Played them on release on GameCube and love them, just never tried the first since it was exclusive to PS2. I've heard it's an hour long and very basic compared to the sequels.

Already played both remasters and the SotC PS4 remake.

Definitely one I want to play (and the sequel). Very pricey, though.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Pal territory, not my speciality But i have 2 titles that I have import that I really like :

10,000 Bullets, Third person shooter with a really nice Arcade feel with slow motion and basic upgrade system with experience.

The sword of etheria,
Action adventure that you play 3 character that can jungle with ennemies to make more damage(unique combat mechanic i've never seen anywhere, like volleyball). Feel a lot like a castlevania game because the music is made Yamane (Castlevania SOTN. Curse of Darkness etc), fun upgrade system with orb that you can attack to weapon for elemental damage and equip different relic.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
You're better off playing it digitally if you haven't (cost), but Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night

Jun 18, 2018
Ditch Die Hard Trilogy 2 and pick up the original Die Hard Trilogy!

Grab Wipeout 3, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Colin McCrae 1 or 2 for your racing needs.

Silent Hill 1, Resident Evil 1-3 and the first Dino Crisis will complete your Survival Horror collection.

Lastly, Colony Wars 1-3 will compliment G-Police nicely :)

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Since you mentioned Halloween I would like to second Fatal Frame 2. Actually I would like to second every horror game CannonFodder52 mentioned but especially Fatal Frame 2. It's still my favorite horror game of all time, and I honestly believe it can compete with the usual suspects for the best ever crown.

Outside of that, the Sly games, SSX3 (though available on various platforms, including XB1), Radiata Stories, Ar Tonelico 2, Punisher 2005, Under the Skin, Klonoa 2, and Shinobi 2002 are just some random games you may want to check out. Maybe Monster Rancher 4, if only for its quirky disc-swapping gimmick.

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
I have PS2 Component cables connected to a 55" HDTV. Quality seems decent based on the brief time I've spent with each game. I'm not a stickler for haivng the absolute best picture for my retro consoles, anyway. I still play N64 with an AV cable.
Component cables are great, but your TVs scaling is probably not that great and most likely adds a bunch of display lag. Do you even get correct aspect ratio? If the lag isnt that bad, you get 4:3 and it looks alright, you are set.

I use a OSSC but thats for RGB only and in your case might not be the best option since, for example, N64 does not output RGB by default.

Maybe check out Retrotink, its not that expensive and does Composite, component and S-video so you could use it for a bunch of systems. It adds no lag, can add scanlines and gives your display a 480p output.

It really makes a world of difference and in many cases, is even preferable to emulation in a bunch of ways. But if you are happy with what you have, thats great!