• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This cyber demon episode lol

Be careful of this newfangled internet thing

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I remember watching this as a kid and having such a huge crush on Sarah Michelle Gellar.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Oh you are in for a treat. This show is so fantastic. Really hits its stride later on.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The first season is mostly okay with a pretty great season finale. It gets way better starting from there.

I miss this show along with Angel so much.

Oct 28, 2017
And by extremely LTTP I mean by like, a few decades.

I was way too young to ever watch this show when it was on the air, but it comes up frequently in the many sci-fi and fantasy genre fandoms that I've been a part of over the years, so I decided to watch it since it's on Hulu.

I've watched the first four episodes so far, and it's pretty good. I knew basically nothing about it beyond some basic pop cultural osmosis picked up through the years. So far I like it. So I figured I would make this LTTP thread to chronicle my viewing experience.

It would be absurd to ask people to spoiler tag shit from a 25 year old show so you can feel free to discuss whatever you want, I'm not concerned about spoilers really.

My favorite show of all time. If you dig Season 1, then you'll love the rest. Once the show finds its footing, the writers run wild with the realities of the world they created and everything gets turned up to 11 with each passing season.

I envy you.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Ahh, another Buffy thread to remind me that Faith was the GOAT slayer.

And Angel was infinitely better when he went to his own show. God damn, Angel had such an awesome team.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Currently rewatching both shows. I'm on Buffy s7 & Angel s4 right now. I'd only ever watched Buffy before this rewatch so it's cool revisiting buffy and sprinkling in some new stuff with Angel.

People hate on Bufy s1 but I found myself really enjoying it on this rewatch. Also Buffy Season 6 has aged amazingly and was super ahead of its time in regards to toxic male nerds.

OPyou should definitely add Angel to the mix after Season 3. I'm finding that I actually like it more than Buffy which I didn't think was possible.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I never did finish this show when I watched it way back

everyone seems to love season 5 but it just fell extremely flat for me as a whole because I could never bring myself to care about that sister character even the tiniest bit

Nov 1, 2017
I watched the 'highlights' a couple years ago and am now watching the whole thing in order (and Angel). Season 1 is pretty bad until the episode with the dummy, which low-key kind of rules.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
I never did finish this show when I watched it way back

everyone seems to love season 5 but it just fell extremely flat for me as a whole because I could never bring myself to care about that sister character even the tiniest bit

season 4 and 5 are bad in my opinion season 4 has hush and 5 has the body as only good episodes out the 22 episode season.

6 and 7 are massive set ups with a great finale

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've been watching season 1 again, it's just started airing from the beginning on UK TV again.

Been a long time but it's still a great show, even if season 1 is a little rough around the edges, as it's finding it's feet. Season 2 on, the quality really picks up.

I always say this but how has Buffy and Angel not been released on blu-ray yet ? such a damn shame that two massively popular and great shows are stuck on dvd or streaming (with a deeply flawed remaster job)

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Just finished season 1, good stuff so far.

season 1 is short rough and more about world building the next season is when the show actually starts.
My wife never watched it so due to UK having it back on we binging whole show on the app and she is digging show and I'm rewatching and it impressive how the show has gotten better with age. Some the monster make up is great during last half of season 2 onward

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Buffy the Vampire slayer is fantastic. Season 6 being the apex for me. It also makes great background tv on rewatches.

I always found Angel to be largely dull.. aside from the second half of Season 4 when Gina Torres shows up... Season 5 is also pretty fun. The cast just isn't as good and Angel himself just isn't that compelling. My opinion is definitely in the minority on here though
I agree. I liked Angel, but never got as into it as I did with Buffy. It didn't help that I despised Connor and even after his departure I just couldn't get back into the show.
Obligatory:
3>2>5>>4>6>>1>7
I'm in the minority when it comes to this: 6>3>5>2>7>1>>>4

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Season 2 & 3 are the pinnacle, 1 & 4 are decent, and 5-7 are mediocre with the occasional excellent episode.
I think Angel is generally better, though season 4 is pretty bad. Season 5 makes up for it by being arguably the best season in the series.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I agree. I liked Angel, but never got as into it as I did with Buffy. It didn't help that I despised Connor and even after his departure I just couldn't get back into the show.

I'm in the minority when it comes to this: 6>3>5>2>7>1>>>4
Conner was a great concept, but everything got derailed because Charisma got really sick during her pregnancy. They basically had to rewrite the season on the fly to accommodate her bed rest. If you rewatch again, take note of how much of that season she is laying down or just not standing.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the first episode of season 2 now, it's interesting that it seems like the production values, dialogue, directing, music etc. have already improved significantly. What changed?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
On the first episode of season 2 now, it's interesting that it seems like the production values, dialogue, directing, music etc. have already improved significantly. What changed?
I believe in the first season they didn't get much of a budget because it was like the whole season was a pilot. Second season they actually got a budget :p

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I believe in the first season they didn't get much of a budget because it was like the whole season was a pilot. Second season they actually got a budget :p

It was also a mid season replacement. Some other show was cancelled and they had to do a last min replacement show.

In one of the audio commentary Joss Wheldon mentioned they only had that one corridor set to use so they would have actors exit and then enter from another door or side, and shoot from other angles to make it seem like the actors went into another corridor. But it was the same corridor over and over again.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
It was also a mid season replacement. Some other show was cancelled and they had to do a last min replacement show.

In one of the audio commentary Joss Wheldon mentioned they only had that one corridor set to use so they would have actors exit and then enter from another door or side, and shoot from other angles to make it seem like the actors went into another corridor. But it was the same corridor over and over again.
Oh yeah I forgot about the mid-season replacement thing!

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
It's pretty good, better than it looks like, has a few genuinely great episodes, runs out of steam by the end, suffers a bit from the writers not knowing what to do with several of the characters, depending on season, and from Whedon being more interested in showing relationships crumbling than in having them work out (pretty much all kinds of relationships, romantic, familial, friends).

Also one of the first action series I remember where stuff truly changes episode to episode and season to season.

Pretty good and a great step on the road that led to Avatar: TLA.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I originally dismissed the show when it first aired because the action-comedy film it was based on was kinda meh, and as a teen I considered myself above teen drama, but around season 4 I was bored and watched an episode... and I was hooked right away. I wasn't expecting the emotional depth at all. It really was outstanding television.

the rest was mildly entertaining, CW-quality stuff.
That's because Buffy set the blueprint for CW's output, and everything after worked from that.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I actually grew to loathe Buffy because Joss' writing grates on my nerves after awhile.

Strangely enough I liked Angel a lot though. His team was so much better. Sad Glenn Quinn passed away early on. He was such a talent.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've watched the first four episodes of season 2, and I'm going to take a break for the PS5 event. I like the improved production values and it also seems the actors have come into their roles better and are doing a better job.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol Xander and Cordelia I thought there was something going on there

Triblade

Nov 16, 2017
I've been re-watching this recently, having watched it all for the first time about 6 years back. I'm currently at Buffy S4E11 / Angel S1E10 (using the watch-order guide, obviously). Watching the first season again, I appreciated the character development, but thought it wasn't as good as I remembered, but as I moved into season 2 of Buffy, it's just been getting better and better and better.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
In a slightly unrelated note. I watched Joss' Much Ado About Nothing last night and it's insane how many Wedonverse alum's are in that movie. I still <3 Amy Acker.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright that was the best episode so far, Angel becoming evil and Buffy with a rocket launcher lol

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Ah yes another Buffy thread. To be able to experience the show for the first time. I see OP just got to one of the most important episodes of the franchise. Angelus is one of my favorite villains

Season ranking
3>2>5>4>6>1>7

Make sure you start Angel too! After S3 of Buffy