• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I took that screenshot after ~2hours of time wasted trying to get the store to download a simple game and install it on a drive different than C:
[…]
And this on a clean Windows 10 that installed just last Sunday.
Is that a clean install of 1809 or an earlier version of Windows?
You shouldn't have to do anything to install games to another drive - the store should ask which drive you want to use when installing large apps.

If it's a recent install, I'd suggest just wiping it again and starting over if the store isn't working because that is nearly always going to be the easiest solution.
Typically what happens is that people install "privacy" or "clean-up" tools that break the store - intentionally or otherwise. These tools often claim the changes they make are reversible, but that is typically not the case.

I'd suggest another clean install of 1809 (direct from Microsoft using their Media Creation Tool), installing the latest updates, installing nothing else on the system but your GPU drivers, then seeing if the store works.

I got an email saying the Windows Insider Build makes "search more powerful". Since search on Windows barely works, maybe they'll get around to the store after fixing that.
Search on Windows works just fine if you don't break it by trying to forcibly disable "Cortana".
Note: the "Cortana" process running in Task Manager is the search process. If you select "go to details" on that process it shows that it's actually SearchUI.exe, which is Windows Search. They just renamed it.
Web results in search can be disabled if you have Windows 10 Pro or higher. I don't know if there's a way to disable them on Home without breaking search entirely.

What does game pass on pc actually get you?
The selection is limited, but there are currently 16 Xbox Play Anywhere games on Game Pass: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-game-pass/games

semi related but I can't believe they're still selling Gears 4 on the store with no warning that the game will most likely crash on Nvidia hardware. an issue that has persisted for nearly a year with no solution in sight.

EDIT: just checked and the issue has been around since June 2017. wtf, get your shit together microsoft
I believe this is an NVIDIA driver issue. There's lots of reports that older driver versions work fine.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Windows Store needs its underlying deployment system outright replaced. It was designed for small apps. Extremely ill suited for games. They are reportedly working on overhauls. They need to deploy them ASAP. They need to work on size, and stability. The reason platforms like UPlay feel so nice is because they just work. Offline mode? Works great. Game updates? Really nicely handled. Perhaps even better than Steam, since you can actually boot UPlay games without updating them if you want. And download speed throttling works properly. Windows 10 has MAJOR problems with download speed throttling. It's like MS have never encountered a sub-Megabit connection before.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I had troubles with both Horizon's and it sucked I had nowhere to go for my questions. :(

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I had troubles with both Horizon's and it sucked I had nowhere to go for my questions. :(

Use the official Forza forums as the devs are usually active there especially around game launches.

Letting them know about issues can help them gather data needed to work with the store team.

I remember back when the store would block you from downloading based on your PC specs , one of the T10 devs gave me a workaround which allowed my buddy to download the game.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I can't install anything through it, seriously. I just wanted to play Phantom Dust, it's a free game so if anyone knows a way to install it outside the store I would love to know.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Use the official Forza forums as the devs are usually active there especially around game launches.

Letting them know about issues can help them gather data needed to work with the store team.

I remember back when the store would block you from downloading based on your PC specs , one of the T10 devs gave me a workaround which allowed my buddy to download the game.

I believe I did but I had a very weird issue in which I only got to the small splash screen and then nothing, had no error messages to report, seemed like I was the only one with that problem at the time as well.

After re-installing it bunch of times and googling and browsing the support forums to no avail it turned out it was my anti-virus of all things blocking the game from starting.

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
I've been lucky to avoid any issues actually downloading games (I've used the store for Killer Instinct, Halo 5 Forge, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3 and 4, and Forza 7), but it does seem really bad at showing me a simple view of my games library and where things are installed. Definitely the worst of the PC stores/launchers that I've used.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I know you've only just done a rebuild recently, but a technician failed to remind me to ensure that all windows had completed before downloading.

So make sure your windows is upto date.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I abandoned my P.C 2.5yrs ago which would need fixing and upgrading but now I am not thinking of going back as I keep hearing bad things about Windows 10 all the time, if I ever do go back to a P.C I'll use my Windows 7 till I can't anymore.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I'm recent to pc, downloaded FH 3, Crackdown 3 no problem. The only thing I can't get to work is nvidia experience, after the last update I get error code

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I abandoned my P.C 2.5yrs ago which would need fixing and upgrading but now I am not thinking of going back as I keep hearing bad things about Windows 10 all the time, if I ever do go back to a P.C I'll use my Windows 7 till I can't anymore.
Windows 10 itself has been completely fine for me. It's the windows store and them forcing thejr games to be UWP apps that is the problem.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The Windows Store needs its underlying deployment system outright replaced. It was designed for small apps. Extremely ill suited for games. They are reportedly working on overhauls. They need to deploy them ASAP. They need to work on size, and stability. The reason platforms like UPlay feel so nice is because they just work. Offline mode? Works great. Game updates? Really nicely handled. Perhaps even better than Steam, since you can actually boot UPlay games without updating them if you want. And download speed throttling works properly. Windows 10 has MAJOR problems with download speed throttling. It's like MS have never encountered a sub-Megabit connection before.
Well said. I have the sad feeling that there's only one poor employee working on the Windows Store branch because some higher positions decided to 'nah, just fuck it'. Now this poor soul has to handle all the conceptual issues and scorched earth some armchair economists and decision-makers had decided.

The only explanation I have for this mess.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Gears of war 4 has been 4 euro on cdkeys for months cos no one wants to touch the store, if they were steam keys they'd be sold almost instantly

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Weirdest problem I've had was having to change my Windows language to Japanese to be able to use cheatcodes in Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.

There was no way to set the language settings of one particular game, hence you needed to change the language of your whole operating system. :')

Gears of war 4 has been 4 euro on cdkeys for months cos no one wants to touch the store, if they were steam keys they'd be sold almost instantly

I think this is because these keys were given away with many videocards, a couple of years ago. ;)

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand why I've never had problems with this store, despite multiple hundred-gig game download / installs.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I haven't had an issue with the store once I think. I guess it's just different for everyone.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I've only had three big problems with the store (and I use it quite a lot)
1. The abovementioned Age of Empires problem
2. Sea of Thieves beta clients that would never properly install/download
3. Ori and the Blind Forest failed to login to Xbox Live a couple of times, really annoying

The experience is getting better. I remember the Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3 days. Nothing would work properly..

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Windows store is possibly the worst thing ever. Half the time it doesnt even function properly. Took me ages to install crackdown 3.

Oct 31, 2017
I really hope Phil Spencer put's emphasis on this. Windows is a huge gamin platform. If they want to push Play anywhere and gamepass they need really fix these issues and create a new client and store.
But that's the problem right there, its not under his control, Windows is ran by a seperate division and they just don't seem interested in fixing this problem.

It's because the store was never designed with the extremely large size and complexity of game downloads in mind (It was originally a mobile store that was then ported to the desktop), so in order to actually fix these issues they'd have to go back to basics and redesign it to accomodate extremely large apps more reliably.

Windows Store errors are also often so complex and low level that telephone support just doesn't stand a chance of fixing them. I remember being on chat support for 3 hours trying to get Gears 4 to download and they just couldn't help me in the end and effectively gave up. A couple of Feature updates later it just magically started working again.

Last time I checked there was no indication of anything like this in the Windows 10 roadmap, so it's obviously not something thats going to get addressed any time soon, and what must be the relatively low sales on the store don't do anything to make it a priority either.

Last edited:

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that's so annoying about the Windows Store is that the solution is often "reinstall your entire OS". After doing that enough, I've just given up. At least GFWL worked sometimes.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have any trouble with Crackdown 3 (lucky me :/) but when I tried Ruiner it just got stuck infinitely looping the Xbox live account login process. Maybe not strictly a store problem, but it was only resolved a day or two later seemingly by magic (or a small windows update, who knows?)

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
uh, sorry, didn´t know.
why?

Because making you use a store that encrypts your game files so you can not modify them = breaking the steam monopoly and better in the long run.
It's funny because the only quasi monopoly on pc is Windows and direct X.
Proton and Whine are great projects but if you want perfect compatibility, Freesync/gsync, HDR, better and more optimized drivers etc. There is no way around Windows.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Downloaded Gear 4, Forza Horizon 3 + expansions, KI, Sea of Thieves, Modern Combat 5, Crackdown 3 "test", Phantom Dust, Forza 6 Apex, Halo 5 Forge, Forza 7 Demo. Zero problems.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Welcome to the Microsoft Store, that's normal here. Hopefully, you won't stay for long. Right...?

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Honestly Win10 has been rock solid for me as an OS. The store is a different story. I rarely use it and when I do I have not had issues. But I find it hard to believe that all the stories here are made up. The store just seems like a poorly supported afterthought to xbox gaming. It is also the reason why I laugh when people say "I have no reason to buy an Xbox because I have a PC". First they are not real competitors, but even if you personally think they are, the experience is WAY more hit or miss on PC vs the xbox.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
at least the xbox store has achievements unliike epic shit store. only had an issue once, never again..love windows 10, love the windows store now that i have epic moneyhatting devs to steam games from steam .

windows store 10 for me has always worked, no issues and it gives me xplay, xbox pass, achivements, and other things...

You sir are one of the lucky ones. I have had nothing but issues with it. Gears 4 was the last game I had setup on my system through windows 10. Once me and my friends were done, I uninstalled and never touched it again. Forza beta I believe was the only other time I tried using it.

It's still a shit show.

Hope Phil isn't just spewing words, and can back them up with meaningful changes to the store, and UI for games library.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No. I'll complain about the windows store as much as I want to in a thread about the windows store.
So I will say I have no problems with it as much as I want to in a thread about the windows store.

Does OP has all Windows 10 updates? Has no shitty software like shitty antivirus screwing the games installations??

Last edited:

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I've been lucky in the sense that the Windows store works for me.
However, I feel that windows store apps are very finicky when it comes to changes and issues in windows.

Being on insider preview a few years back broke both Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4. They just wouldn't load.
Even now, being back to the normal slow ring, I frequently see issues with store apps like Spotify and Skype.

Skype suddenly closes, and Spotify runs at 24 fps when windowered GSYNC is enabled.

I guess all this can be remedied somehow, but I never have to do this with normal win32 apps.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I will say I have no problems with it as much as I want to in a thread about the windows store.

Does OP has all Windows 10 updates? Has no shitty software like shitty antivirus screwing the games installations??

Sure, I didn't say you aren't allowed to. Just that it doesn't help because the problems manifest for some and not for all people.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's important to hear both the good and bad stories. Else we might think the store is broken for everyone, which is certainly not the case.

Looking at how long it is broken now the store running for some becomes rather unhelpful. I'm having trouble with it now since gears 4. It creeps around 16 Mbit download. Support wasn't able to help me, I've reinstalled Windows several times, even building new systems didn't help.
Those "it's good for me" comments only help masking how bad the store really is. Microsoft is doing shit to improve it.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Windows 10 is fine, just don't use the Windows Store and it will be fine. It's the store that's the problem not Windows 10.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Looking at how long it is broken now the store running for some becomes rather unhelpful. I'm having trouble with it now since gears 4. It creeps around 16 Mbit download. Support wasn't able to help me, I've reinstalled Windows several times, even building new systems didn't help.
Those "it's good for me" comments only help masking how bad the store really is. Microsoft is doing shit to improve it.

Doesn't mask it, just puts things in perspective.

I wonder how these meetings in the Windows division went from 2015 - 2017. Spencer screaming at Myerson that he should fix his shit. And I don't even know who is in charge of the Store now. Hope the gaming division has some influence there.. it's unacceptable that the largest software company in the world can't build a decent digital storefront in their operating system.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't mask it, just puts things in perspective.

I wonder how these meetings in the Windows division went from 2015 - 2017. Spencer screaming at Myerson that he should fix his shit. And I don't even know who is in charge of the Store now. Hope the gaming division has some influence there.. it's unacceptable that the largest software company in the world can't build a decent digital storefront in their operating system.

Meyerson was still in charge of Xbox division until somewhat recently, right?

Whoever is in charge of the store clearly isn't putting it as a priority and it's really weird because it affects so much of their efforts elsewhere and obviously gaming which they refuse to even bring to the forefront.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

Yes and the only antivirus I use is windows defender. Any other reason why this is my fault when every other single software distributor works with my system no problems?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why I've never had problems with this store, despite multiple hundred-gig game download / installs.
Most of the issues with the store are caused by people running software that breaks it, like many of the "privacy" tools/scripts for the OS; but Microsoft takes the blame. It couldn't possibly be something that they did which broke things irreversibly.
Of course that's not to say all the problems are caused by that, but I'd be very surprised if there's many other reasons for the Store to stop working right after a clean install of the OS.

Once thing that it doesn't seem to like - or at least used to have issues with - is when people change the Microsoft Account associated with the user account on the PC, or frequently signing out and switching accounts on the store, rather than using separate accounts in Windows instead. I've seen people report issues with licenses not being managed correctly, and having to reinstall apps/games as a result of that.

Windows 10 is generally fine for most people. The people having issues are going to be the loudest by far.
There's probably not much preventing it, but it would be really stupid to continue using Windows 7 past its end of life on 2020-01-14.
I believe upgrades to 10 still work when using a Windows 7 key.

Windows Store errors are also often so complex and low level that telephone support just doesn't stand a chance of fixing them. I remember being on chat support for 3 hours trying to get Gears 4 to download and they just couldn't help me in the end and effectively gave up. A couple of Feature updates later it just magically started working again.
For what it's worth, Microsoft built tools into the OS for it to self-repair many things that users had done which would break access to Windows updates or the Store, so that's probably why it suddenly started working again. I think that was a couple of versions back now. (look for many complaints of "Windows started updating itself again!" etc.)

[…] Spotify runs at 24 fps when windowered GSYNC is enabled.
I guess all this can be remedied somehow, but I never have to do this with normal win32 apps.
I have a larger list of Win32 apps that have this issue than UWP apps. Some of them drop the refresh rate to single digits until the mouse cursor is moved.
There are two solutions: disabling windowed-mode G-Sync and enabling it on a per-game basis via NVIDIA Profile Inspector, or creating a profile that disallows G-Sync in those applications.
It is a pain to add UWP apps to a profile via NVIDIA Profile Inspector though.

Here's what you need to fix Spotify:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<ArrayOfProfile>
  <Profile>
    <ProfileName>_DISALLOW_GSYNC</ProfileName>
    <Executeables>
      <string>spotifyab.spotifymusic_zpdnekdrzrea0</string>
    </Executeables>
    <Settings>
      <ProfileSetting>
        <SettingNameInfo>G-SYNC</SettingNameInfo>
        <SettingID>279476652</SettingID>
        <SettingValue>2</SettingValue>
      </ProfileSetting>
      <ProfileSetting>
        <SettingNameInfo>G-SYNC</SettingNameInfo>
        <SettingID>279476687</SettingID>
        <SettingValue>2</SettingValue>
      </ProfileSetting>
    </Settings>
  </Profile>
</ArrayOfProfile>
Save that as a ".NIP" file and import it with Profile Inspector. It should be fixed after restarting Spotify.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Most of the issues with the store are caused by people running software that breaks it, like many of the "privacy" tools/scripts for the OS; but Microsoft takes the blame. It couldn't possibly be something that they did which broke things irreversibly.
Of course that's not to say all the problems are caused by that, but I'd be very surprised if there's many other reasons for the Store to stop working right after a clean install of the OS.

Whatever I installed after refreshing my PC didn't broke Steam, Origin, Ubiplay, Epic Games Launcher and GoG. Only the Windows store has this problem. So yes, I will keep blaming Microsoft.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least Windows is under completely different leadership and a division within Microsoft now. The previous UWP era was an attempt to get developers to develop apps for Windows Phone and then 100GB Xbox games got shoehorned in at the last moment.

After reading a lot of issues with Windows Store most problems come down to:
1. Windows is not up to date
2. Using a local account instead of a Microsoft account
3. Using a pirated version of windows or Windows is not activated

If you pass all 3 then your only real option is to reinstall Windows and try again. Also, another issue I've had is if you try downloading with a VPN you get a nonsensical no internet error message.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
How exactly does stuff like antivirus break the Windows App Store, but not break every single other place I buy PC games from?

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
At least Windows is under completely different leadership and a division within Microsoft now. The previous UWP era was an attempt to get developers to develop apps for Windows Phone and then 100GB Xbox games got shoehorned in at the last moment.

After reading a lot of issues with Windows Store most problems come down to:
1. Windows is not up to date
2. Using a local account instead of a Microsoft account
3. Using a pirated version of windows

If you pass all 3 then your only real option is to reinstall Windows and try again.
The first two are MS issues. Aren't Windows updates MS responsibility, since they opted to trigger them automatically and take away the control from the user? Shouldn't the store be able to detect if the user doesn't have the proper windows updates and tell the user that's the cause? Shouldn't Windows and its store be better at managing accounts? Is terrible design IMHO.