• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Extra Mario Bros is a hack of Super Mario bros 1 for the NES, that turns the game into a full metroidvania. The actual moment to moment gameplay is pretty much straight up Super Mario Bros 1, including the awesome jump feeling, but it uses exceedingly clever ideas to facilitate a metroidvania structure. Example: you still cant walk to the left, but it winds up not really mattering because of how they loop levels and use warp pipes.

The art style pulls from many NES games, including, obviously, Metroid and Mario. The type of power ups you earn to facilitate the progression are things like being able to shoot more than 1 fireball at once, which sounds like it shouldn't be a big deal but the clever design makes those kinds of power ups advance you in the game.

The music is great. My favorite bit is a remix of the Super Metroid brinstar music in one of the early areas you get to:

It's also hard as shit. I've been playing this off and on for years and only recently beat it on real hardware. No saving, so you play it all in one sitting, and it has lives. There are a few full runs of the game on youtube, but they actually cheat and use things like glitching to advance past parts of the game. Doing everything the correct way is an incredible challenge, but it's so worth it.

The game also has some really, really great graphics for an NES game. I like the giga bowser:

hqdefault.jpg

When I hear people talk about great Mario hacks, they usually center around the same few games, like Mario Adventures, but pound for pound I think Extra Mario Bros is the best I've ever played. It is distributed as an IPS patch on Romhacking.org: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/369/

If you have a Kazzo dumper, you can use any super mario bros cart and apply it with Lunar IPS, then pop it on something like an everdrive (which is what I did). Similarly, you can play this on things like the AVS or Nt Mini if you jail break them, although I've not got experience with that.

Just a recommendation for a great rom hack.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
You posted the same video twice xD

Never heard of it, looks an awesome romhack!
Thanks for sharing

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Tested on NES Mini and it works, so I'll be giving this a proper go this weekend. Thanks for the heads up.