• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I understand. Say I want the gamertag "Ballistik" and they say I can now pick it, it's still going to look ugly in-game and say "Ballistik#1001" or whatever. Why would I want that?

Edit: Well I guess I understand for those that want a very basic name, you don't have to add on other characters just to have your name.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I understand. Say I want the gamertag "Ballistik" and they say I can now pick it, it's still going to look ugly in-game and say "Ballistik#1001" or whatever. Why would I want that?
The suffix will be greyed out as in the example pics in OP.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Anyway, I just changed mine to something that doesn't have a number suffix after it, so that's cool.

Was EvilChameleon09, now I'm eChameleon. Been wanting to drop the 09 from my tag for a long time now, and since EvilChameleon would have given me a suffix, I took eChameleon. Kind of retro, and still means the same thing.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They decreased the character limit to 12? Uuuuuugh.

I've wanted to change my Gamertag to the name I have here for a while, but it was taken. The account that has it has been inactive for years and I was waiting for it to be purged, but I guess I'm never getting it now. Sigh...

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Already have a 3 letter OG tag but tried a bunch of Japanese characters just to see if I could snag a 1 character tag. Nope, seems they're all already being sniped.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Tried to see if English name directly translated into hangul wasn't taken yet (라이언 ). Nope, apparently 4000+ people got it already. Oh well, I guess I'll keep the same name I've had for 10+ years now.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Seems pointless so long as the ID tag has to display in game. Also seems crazy they're going to continue to charge for it.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if this was in preparation towards cross-chat with steam and maybe discord.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely wild that they're still charging for this shit, but given that Blizzard does it too for PC of all places, I guess I'm not terribly surprised Microsoft can get away with it.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Aaaww, the handle I've been using for a bunch of years on PC gaming apparently is not new to xbox and I have to get a number. Bummer. Still changing to it, I hope all games in the future deal well with cleaning up the number and just making the name stand out by itself like in stuff like Overwatch PC.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is weird. It won't let me use my name. It says Kyle Cross isn't an allowed name. Thought maybe it might've been a filter issue due to Cross can being seen tied to religion, but just "Cross" works. It seems to just be when combined with Kyle that it gets denied...

Any ideas?

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone names actually show up changed? The site said it did but it's still the old tag.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 4-letter gamertag and I'm probably never switching. Been offered money for it but never from serious buyers, so I wonder if this will increase its worth...

Same, I have a 4 letter gamer tag, never been offered money but I don't intend to switch it anyways.. was the same name I used for my avatar in Star Wars galaxies

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is weird. It won't let me use my name. It says Kyle Cross isn't an allowed name. Thought maybe it might've been a filter issue due to Cross can being seen tied to religion, but just "Cross" works. It seems to just be when combined with Kyle that it gets denied...

Any ideas?
_ ?

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome. All of the platforms should have this feature. Hopefully all games going forward and most XBO games will just display the name without the number, but as long as the number is clearly delineated and de-emphasized, I'm fine with it.

A little annoying though that it seems to save the randomized number you were given, so you can't keep retrying for a number you like more.
Appreciate the link! I was looking all over the new PC Xbox app (I don't have an Xbox atm) and the website and could only find the old change username which still checked for uniqueness.

Deleted member 57421

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
LOL, in some of those languages like Japanese and Chinese you could type whole sentences in 12 characters. 我是美国人我爱我太太.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a silly question, but if you put a space in your gamertag, it counts as a separate gamertag to the non-space version?

So for example

PaulLFC
Paul LFC

are two separate gamertags? Considering putting a space in my preferred gamertag choice as it looks better and is more readable (it's basically just a load of capital letters mashed together otherwise), but having to explain it to everyone as "this *space* that" might get annoying after a while, haha.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I only want to see the numbers when someone is looking at a gamercard or profile, all games should just filter out everything after a pound sign

I assume Xbox First party games going forward will do this but I would need more confirmation about other games

Halo killfeed for example

This is fine
Nillapuddin killed RandomGT

This isn't
Nillapuddin#9876 killed RandomGT

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I changed my Gamertag, but just out of interest I wanted to see if whoever had my username on here was active or a dormant account, because it was taken.

Strangely if I go to https://account.xbox.com/en-gb/profile?gamertag=PaulLFC it just redirects to my account (not with that username).

Does that mean the person who claimed PaulLFC has been banned? Or have I somehow got it as an alias to my account? I doubt that as no idea how I would even go about doing that!

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
It seems that anything I try that includes non unicode characters will always generate a # number no matter what, even if it is just nonsense text.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf is with the #'s lol

I generally never add people who have numbers in their names... It never ends well lol. So long xbox gamer tag community I guess #