• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

The media is a fucking farce

This is an excuse to hire family and pay them to do a job you'd normally pay a lot more to someone who isn't a student intern

An absolute parody

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I'd love to hear the Post articulate how they think a college junior should come about this major newsroom experience for their internship.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point your gonna need previous daycare or preschool experience to go to a daycare or preschool straight out of the womb.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Not even technically and 'entry level' position and yet, must have experience in a major newsroom? That's some ouroboros bullshit.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
"we dont really wanna hire you on but we want to make sure you have experience so we are getting the most out of you."

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what they mean by "major news room". In an age of social media fake news outlets with no legitimacy, that bullet could refer to LOCAL news rooms which would make much more sense.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Student internships at prestigious companies are competitive. I don't know what I'm supposed to be blown away by here. If the pay is nonexistent or even just insultingly low I'll be upset about that.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, this is basically "We have to post this for everybody, but this is really for family and friends."

Oct 25, 2017
It's a paid internship at the Washington Post, one of the largest newspapers in the US. Yeah, they're going to try to scare some people away. Apply anyway if you're a fit despite not hitting silly requirements, apply anyway. That's the game.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Maybe the news industry works differently. In law school, the big firms did not really hire 1Ls. The ones that did prefer the student to go from 1L intern to 2L intern to full hire. So if a big firm saw that a 2L worked for a major competitor last summer, the first question would be "Why are you applying to a different firm?"

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
It's been a common occurrence. Many internships and entry level jobs are asking for this. As someone that just got their masters, finding a job has been a bit stressful due to these restrictions

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
One of my best interns was a sophomore. You gotta be on top of your shit to be that far ahead.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so you intern at buzzfeed last summer and now you can intern at wapo this summer

seems fair what what is a super competitive paid internship at a prestigious news organization

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like setting expectations so astronomically high that no one who would actually apply for the role is qualified to do so.

They're probably required by law to post a job posting but already know exactly who they want to bring in. Companies do this all the time when they don't actually want to go through the recruiting process because they're doing a nepotism.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Student internships at prestigious companies are competitive. I don't know what I'm supposed to be blown away by here. If the pay is nonexistent or even just insultingly low I'll be upset about that.

Yeah this is not something that's unusual for Newsrooms. Most internships / jobs at National places require you to have some experience in Local News Markets. That's the way the industry works. You start in middle-of-knowhere WhateverState before moving to the Nationals.

And lol at people thinking Interns would do any kind of work comparable to the real journalists. The ones we have here are paid to sit around and watch us work / ask questions. We also give them some projects to do on their own time, like homework.... but there's no way in HELL they are going anywhere near an actual news story.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
This is basically every job now. Entry level position making 50k a year and you must have 5 years of experience, a masters, a large portfolio of work, be able to bench at least 225, and be able to play Beethoven's 5th symphony.

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing like setting expectations so astronomically high that no one who would actually apply for the role is qualified to do so.

They're probably required by law to post a job posting but already know exactly who they want to bring in. Companies do this all the time when they don't actually want to go through the recruiting process because they're doing a nepotism.

WaPo is a prestigious newspaper. If you don't think they get FAR more applications than they have spots I don't know what to say. These requirements at major companies are because they can be selective and have more than enough people qualified. If they didn't they obviously would ease up on them.

I'm not saying it's fair or that it doesn't exclude people who would otherwise make excellent interns, but they're not having to search hard for applicants. Although this does narrow the diversity and breadth of applicants they get which is the problem

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Most journalism majors write for the student newspaper at their school. That means it's pretty likely by the time you're a junior that you could get an internship at a paper. People I went to high school with had written for our local major newspapers during high school for instance.

It's entirely reasonable for the Washington Post, one of the most prestigious newspapers in the world, to require previous work experience for internships which include seniors and postgraduates. What is not reasonable is paying them a wage which is unlivable.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Most journalism majors write for the student newspaper at their school. That means it's pretty likely by the time you're a junior that you could get an internship at a paper. People I went to high school with had written for our local major newspapers during high school for instance.

It's entirely reasonable for the Washington Post, one of the most prestigious newspapers in the world, to require previous work experience for internships which include seniors and postgraduates. What is not reasonable is paying them a wage which is unlivable.

They say major newsroom not school paper

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the problem, they probably get thousands of applicants and I'm sure many of them already have that experience. I'm not sure if you have no experience you want to start at a place like the post.

Last edited:

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that WaPo is paying their interns.

It's bad that they say they are basically only considering people who had previous unpaid internships.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This was almost every entry level position when I got out of engineering school.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Outside of a few cities I wouldn't call a local newspaper a major newsroom

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nope. That is not in any way appropriate for an internship.

If you want people who have already worked in a major newsroom you need to post a regular paid position - not an internship.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this the eternal joke about entry-level jobs/internships? Employers want you to already have entry-level experience off the bat because they are too cheap/risk adverse to train new hires.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the problem, they probably get thousands of applicants and I'm sure of them many already have that experience. I'm not sure if you have no experience you want to start at a place like the post.

The whole point of an internship is to gain experience. This, and what you're describing, is just an (entry-level) job with worse pay

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
They say major newsroom not school paper
I'm talking about major newsrooms. My brother worked for the Detroit Free Press during college for example. I know personally at least 3 other people from high school who this applies to.

Nope. That is not in any way appropriate for an internship.

If you want people who have already worked in a major newsroom you need to post a regular paid position - not an internship.
Journalism is different because the bar to entry in the field is really low, and these people are still students. Again, people I know were published by major papers in high school. If there's 100,000 journalism students every year (or whatever) and enough of them have major paper experience, why would you not make that a requirement?