• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I think the worst is when they ask why you want to work for them. I was applying for jobs when I was unemployed and I remember I gave a fluffy answer like "It seems like an interesting industry to get into and will be a good fit for my skills", and they were like "No, why do you want to work for us" and I had to bite my tongue to not say I was fucking unemployed and I would work anywhere at that moment.

Fucking this. It's infuriating especially when the position isn't anything to write home about

It's an awkward one, but I actually use it the other way around. At the end of the interview when I have a chance to ask my own questions I often ask my interviewers what it is about this company in particular that makes them personally want to work there. The answers can be quite illuminating and actually were a large part of the reason I chose my current role.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I put a number that was way too low in my first post college job, thankfully they had a standard offer for recent graduates that was much higher.

Oct 27, 2017
This becomes better when/if you get to a point in your career to where you need recruiters to get your next position. Less haggling over figures because the recruiter already knows the range the employer is willing to pay.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
IMO there's a big difference between asking someone's expected salary range and their salary history.

Asking someone's salary history is a direct line to reinforcing all sorts of systems of bias and inequity. Asking someone their salary expectations gives them the opportunity to save themselves a lot of time interviewing if they and the company are too far apart.

I can't count the number of times I've seen a candidate go through an expensive, time consuming interview process only to discover at the very last step that they were expecting twice the salary the company could pay for the role. It wastes everyone's time and leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouths.
And again, that can be solved very simply by the company not playing coy with the salary expectations and listing a range as part of the posting. That way applicants know what they're getting into. And some applicants who were offered would likely negotiate anyway - but at least you're initially closer and transparent on the general expectation up front. So someone looking for double would naturally move on anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Next week I'll have been in my industry for 18 years and in management for 14 of those years so the expected salary question takes on a different form than it did in the beginning of my career. I know exactly what my range is, I know exactly what I'd be looking for to move.

That said, the question that doesn't come up nearly enough in any negotiations are the rest of the compensation. Benefits, 401(k), etc. People have a tendency to get hung up on the most simple stats (shocking I know) and neglect to put all the pieces together into what it would actually look like. Same reason that I won't include my salary as some kind of humblebrag because salary means nothing in a vacuum.

I could make significantly more in gross salary than I do right now and have a significantly lower quality of life. I could make significantly more in bonus money than I do and have significantly less in total compensation. On the flip side, I could move to other parts of the country, take less gross salary to do it and exceed my current quality of life. It's all a balance. Judging solely by the top number is irresponsible at absolute best.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
the worst is when you are applying for a job a in another State/City that has higher cost of living and you have no idea what to ask for

once I got a job offer in NYC and they asked me what i wanted, I calculated rent in the city centre and I jacked the expected salary really high.....

they never called me back, LOL

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Yea I wish I can just insist on asking what's their range or walk out, but more often than not that's not really feasible and I just end up putting some numbers above my current salary.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I'm looking for jobs closer to my very old parents to maximize the time we have left. I've only filled out a few apps but man, that is such a frustrating question to answer. I don't want to sell myself short and potentially lose out on money but I also don't want to aim too high and look ridiculous.

Any advice? I'm guessing it ultimately doesn't matter too much; if a place really wants me, then they'll negotiate, right? I know I'm worth more than I make at the moment.

Check glass door or another service to see the mean salary for your position in the area. Then add about 10% to it for negotiation. Make sure to factor in things like seniority and experience.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
That reminds me of when I applied to this printing company last April. I got called in for a second interview with the floor manager. I had written down $13/hour because I thought it was reasonable on the initial application. The floor manager mentioned that the position would have a ton of overtime but it started at $10 and he asked me if I could change the amount I wanted on the application. Well, he didn't ask me outright. He more hinted at it and put a pen on the application next to the field.

On top of that, they made me do a drug test before I got the job. It was really, really weird.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Next week I'll have been in my industry for 18 years and in management for 14 of those years so the expected salary question takes on a different form than it did in the beginning of my career. I know exactly what my range is, I know exactly what I'd be looking for to move.

That said, the question that doesn't come up nearly enough in any negotiations are the rest of the compensation. Benefits, 401(k), etc. People have a tendency to get hung up on the most simple stats (shocking I know) and neglect to put all the pieces together into what it would actually look like. Same reason that I won't include my salary as some kind of humblebrag because salary means nothing in a vacuum.

I could make significantly more in gross salary than I do right now and have a significantly lower quality of life. I could make significantly more in bonus money than I do and have significantly less in total compensation. On the flip side, I could move to other parts of the country, take less gross salary to do it and exceed my current quality of life. It's all a balance. Judging solely by the top number is irresponsible at absolute best.
Yes total compensation is a valid line of questioning too. But if a company is playing coy about the salary itself, I'd have low confidence that they'd be able to answer questions like 401k matching rates, health insurance premiums/coverages, and other benefits.

Oct 30, 2017
I think the worst is when they ask why you want to work for them. I was applying for jobs when I was unemployed and I remember I gave a fluffy answer like "It seems like an interesting industry to get into and will be a good fit for my skills", and they were like "No, why do you want to work for us" and I had to bite my tongue to not say I was fucking unemployed and I would work anywhere at that moment.
Seems like a question designed to just to stroke their own ego.

I can understand why the interest in the industry. But the company?
-It pays money
-Your reputation is likely not complete trash

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
It's a bullshit question that's asked for 2 primary reasons:

1) To pass you over if your salary expectations are too above their range (below the range is perfectly fine of course)

2) To have yet another leg up in negotiations as there is now a major asymmetry of information with regards to salary

Neither one helps out the applicant. For these reasons I put in "Negotiable", "000" or leave the space blank. If I'm forced to show my hand first I will make sure that I have done my research and will put in a premium as others have mentioned.

Still a bullshit question and if you absolutely need a new job at that moment you may end up selling yourself short. Just as the company wanted.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes total compensation is a valid line of questioning too. But if a company is playing coy about the salary itself, I'd have low confidence that they'd be able to answer questions like 401k matching rates, health insurance premiums/coverages, and other benefits.

See I would expect (and have witnessed) the polar opposite. The 401(k) matching is based off a % of base pay. As such, they can talk about it without saying you'll make $X in 401(k) contributions. Benefits would be slightly more difficult, but would expect an answer to the kinds of benefits available along with a rough guideline of what their contributing percentage is. Being that there's so many theoretical insurance combinations (types as well as single/spouse/family/etc), I'd have some more flexibility there, but still. If there were commuter benefits, I'd expect those to be disclosed freely as again, there's no direction relation to salary. If there's a bonus structure, same thing and the list goes on and on.

So by the time we get to talking base salary, I now have a decent enough idea of what the (far more important) total compensation vs. my bottom line would look like.

To bring this full circle, I'd be far more concerned about a potential employer not willing to discuss total compensation than one who asked something as relatively innocuous as my expected salary range as again, my salary alone means nothing in a vacuum.

Edit to add: thinking about this, I think we're approaching from 2 different points in the process. I'm looking at this from the standpoint of there already being mutual interest and now getting into the negotiations. If the expected salary question is a dealbreaker earlier in the process, then it is what it is I'd guess. Different strokes for different folks. For me having done this for so long, I know the general range before even taking my first step in the process. It's the finer points that will determine whether it's the right move.

Last edited:

ThatRebel

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
This is such an interesting thread. I hope I don't have to look for another job soon but it's a possibility as I work for a small, niche company and our bills are increasing while our invoices are decreasing.

I think companies should put a range though. Someone mentioned earlier that if the range is posted, everyone is going to ask for the top of that range. That's expected and should be easy for the company to counter. Not everyone is qualified for the highest range. Will someone get butthurt hearing that, of course. But I've been in middle management and in my experience, there's a huge range in the quality of employees.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
See I would expect (and have witnessed) the polar opposite. The 401(k) matching is based off a % of base pay. As such, they can talk about it without saying you'll make $X in 401(k) contributions. Benefits would be slightly more difficult, but would expect an answer to the kinds of benefits available along with a rough guideline of what their contributing percentage is. Being that there's so many theoretical insurance combinations (types as well as single/spouse/family/etc), I'd have some more flexibility there, but still. If there were commuter benefits, I'd expect those to be disclosed freely as again, there's no direction relation to salary. If there's a bonus structure, same thing and the list goes on and on.

So by the time we get to talking base salary, I now have a decent enough idea of what the (far more important) total compensation vs. my bottom line would look like.

To bring this full circle, I'd be far more concerned about a potential employer not willing to discuss total compensation than one who asked something as relatively innocuous as my expected salary range as again, my salary alone means nothing in a vacuum.

Edit to add: thinking about this, I think we're approaching from 2 different points in the process. I'm looking at this from the standpoint of there already being mutual interest and now getting into the negotiations. If the expected salary question is a dealbreaker earlier in the process, then it is what it is I'd guess. Different strokes for different folks. For me having done this for so long, I know the general range before even taking my first step in the process. It's the finer points that will determine whether it's the right move.
Yeah, this would strictly be up front, early in the process. I may know my general range, but that doesn't mean I have any clue what the company is thinking. Yes, you can try to cobble things together with Glassdoor and similar companies, but hearing it straight from the employer would be very beneficial. A lot of that can be solved by the company putting in a salary range for the position. As far as those other benefits, I sometimes find if the company is proud of what they offer, they put it on their HR site for all to see.

And yes total compensation is an important thing, but sometimes cash is simply king. A company could have a great insurance premium rate, 401k matching and other perks, but the actual salary just be not sustainable. That depends on your situation, of course. All the more important in knowing the salary so that a total calculation and comparison can be made versus the current employer and other potential future employers.

Oct 27, 2017
As a hiring manager, expected salary is not always a way to squeeze money out of desperate applicants or save the company some money.

There's a calculus of someone's experience and value that comes into play.

For almost every single role I've hired for there is one applicant that is a home run, AAA candidate, but they're more experienced and command a higher salary, often outside of what our stated range is. Then there is also a much cheaper, more junior candidate that may be ready to step into a bigger role if they get the right support or mentoring.

So if there's someone we think would be super effective, but is asking for $10k above what we have approved for the role (or whatever) I have to decide how critical that it is I go back to the Big Bosses to ask for more for the role, going to bat for them, or if I should keep looking.

But I've also had people share salary expectations that were 30%+ more than what we have for the role so it's important to know that up front so we don't waste each others' time.
Tangentially related, this is why finding yourself overqualified in an interview is such a death sentence. If the position is only a step or two above entry level, it seems like most places rather bank on someone who's a recent grad that looks to be more coachable and can be paid less rather than pay something with tons of experience at a premium. Even if you're willing to take a pay cut.....which is its own bag of worms because it can signal that you'll walk first chance you get once someone offers you something better that's more aligned with your qualifications so they won't take the risk anyway.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
It's a bullshit question that's asked for 2 primary reasons:

1) To pass you over if your salary expectations are too above their range (below the range is perfectly fine of course)

2) To have yet another leg up in negotiations as there is now a major asymmetry of information with regards to salary

1. It's not "passing someone over" if they want or expect more money than you have to offer for the role. Why would you keep talking to someone about a job if you can't pay them what they have stated they expect? If I have $100k for a role and they expect $140k, it's a waste of their time for me to keep talking to them. As a hiring manager the convo I've had goes like this:

"What is your salary expectation?"
"My expectaton is $X"
"That's a good bit outside of our range for this role. I can only go as high as $Y for this role - are you still interested in discussing it further?"
"No, that doesn't work for me but good luck in your job search"

2. When I'm hiring I state clearly that I have an approved range for a role and share what that range is. I am clear that just because that range included a top-end number it doesn't mean that every applicant can command that top end number - almost all roles I've filled have the flexibility to be filled with someone more veteran or someone more green, and it's their experience level that informs what the offer salary will ultimately be.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Yea I just take what I'm making now and then add like 15%, which is what I'd like to make and then add 5-10% for negotiations. If they scoff and say "That's too high!" then I probably don't want to work for them anyways, if they scoff and say "That's too low" then I'll take the extra bump. Which has happened a couple times...

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Asking too much is fine, I did that for my current job, I asked for more than they were willing to pay, they told me their max, I said I needed a tad more, they found a few thousand more.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Always write 'negotiable'

These days with recruiters I'm up front with salary requirements. But I have 15 years of experience and I'm in a senior role so I'm not fucking with low paying jobs in my field. The ones who are cagey with estimates I just don't bother. Like if they won't share an estimate or range for the role without me going thru an interview I'm like... No, go hire the next schlub and don't waste my time.

On an application tho I'd write negotiable.