• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Dylan

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Because the cost barrier is generally much lower on a console than a laptop and many people would rather play on their TV over laptop/PC. Also, being able to control a standard set of hardware is beneficial for developers.

You could still plug it into a TV (like the Switch), and in laptop mode, not only would developers have standard processing hardware, they would also be dealing with a standard resolution and refresh rate of the screen. That'd be a nice juicy treat for development.
As for cost, yes you're right! That's a problem.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Too many writing this off yet this is a pretty well thought out, well sourced thread. Why not a dockable Xbox? I know I'd be much more inclined to look at it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
If anything, MS would focus on making streaming to the Surface or your phone more of a thing.
This. I sometimes think how good a Joycon style grip would be on my Surface Pro. They already have a docking system for it too, but it's even more expensive than the Nintendo dock.

If MS made a Surface Xbox styled like a Surface Go it could be pretty amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I want a closed system as a laptop? I would rather get a proper gaming laptop if that interested me and access every game Steam has to offer and not pay $60/year to play online.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EBAfAez.jpg

You are no SEGAmaniaco

OP
OP
Dylan

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Why would I want a closed system as a laptop? I would rather get a proper gaming laptop if that interested me and access every game Steam has to offer and not pay $60/year to play online.

I'm in full agreement with you. But that's also my mentality towards regular consoles, and yet people still buy them.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
No... but I do think Microsoft will try to differentiate themselves and do something that's not just another console.