• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Hi all,

I feel like I've been gaining some weight lately, and that my body is slowly rotting during this last lockdown.

I was wondering if you have any good recommendations for exercise routines I can find on youtube/apps/whatever.

I don't have any equipment really so it'd be great if there's something you fins helpful that doesn't require anything other than my body.

Appreciate it!

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Bodyweight stuff

Squats, lunges, pushups, situps, planks, etc + going for a walk and/or run.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jogging outdoors (if you're in a non-crowded area), push-ups, and sit-ups will get you far. Buy a pull up bar and add that to the mix as well.

YouTube search "core workout beginner" if you want some more variety.

In general there's no need to over complicate things or buy extra stuff when you're just starting out.

OP
OP
Menaged

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Lol. Maybe I should have mentioned I don't have a switch :)

Outside activity feels really hard for me at this cold weather, so I'd like to try some indoor stuff.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Nike Training Club, Ring Fit Adventure, also check your local gyms they might be offering online workouts for cheap/free.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Search for "calisthenics workout" or simply bodyweight training on YouTube and you'll get an infinite amount of workouts for every training level that you can follow.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
In terms of gaining weight, most of that will be due to eating too much. Cardio burns more calories than strength training though so even just going for a walk a couple of time a day would do a lot.

In regards to building strength, if you don't have weights etc than just start with some pushups and squats etc. Depends on your goal though, I'd just find something fun to do and stick with that. The workout your adhere too is better than the perfect workout you do once and never touch again.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Gaining or losing weight is 90% diet and 10% exercise, just be aware of that.

Personally I just got a row machine, I like it cause it fits under my desk in my office. And it's almost a full body workout.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I have ring fit and haven't really messed around too much. Is it good for strength training?

EDIT: To answer your ? OP, I have followed "Hasfit Tribe" on youtube since the pandemic started last year. They have a lot of videos and will answer your questions on twitter.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Is it worth it if you live in an Apartment/Condo and have neighbors below? I don't want to be banging on the floor making too much noise.
There is an apartment mode if the noise is too much. If you want to do full running, if you get a really thick(at least 2 inch) exercise mat. That should get rid of most the noise as well.

I live in apartment too, and initially received complaints. After using the mat, there have been no complaints.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Resistance bands are good and cheap.

You can download the pinterest app and look up exercise routines and diets.

OP
OP
Menaged

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Appreciate all the answers so far. Many thanks!

In regards to diet, I think I'm eating quite well.

Porridge in the morning with hazelnut milk and a banana.

Salad with rice, lentils and tahini for lunch.

Dinner varies but it's usually around 600 kcal.

Sometime I eat something in between but nothing major.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Lol. Maybe I should have mentioned I don't have a switch :)

Outside activity feels really hard for me at this cold weather, so I'd like to try some indoor stuff.
It's worth it to get a switch just for RFA. Seriously. I have had friends cancel their gym memberships, saving them a ton of money, due to Ring Fit. And they don't play any other games too. Just ring fit, and they say it's the best purchase they made for exercise.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all,

I feel like I've been gaining some weight lately, and that my body is slowly rotting during this last lockdown.

I was wondering if you have any good recommendations for exercise routines I can find on youtube/apps/whatever.

I don't have any equipment really so it'd be great if there's something you fins helpful that doesn't require anything other than my body.

Appreciate it!

Diet diet diet

Jan 29, 2018
If you have a bike, you could get one of those mounts that lets you use it as a stationary bike. The one I have is probably louder than Ring Fit Adventure though.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Appreciate all the answers so far. Many thanks!

In regards to diet, I think I'm eating quite well.

Porridge in the morning with hazelnut milk and a banana.

Salad with rice, lentils and tahini for lunch.

Dinner varies but it's usually around 600 kcal.

Sometime I eat something in between but nothing major.
Your diet slants towards carbs. Of course, most of them, if not all, are complex - which, yes, are good.

You could try using a protein / healthy fat slant where you focus on lean proteins and constructive fats such as nuts or avocados.

Exercise wise - bodyweight exercises will be fine. Push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and squats are the only thing you need. Running in the morning will trigger better fat burning, too.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
This has been my regime. Nothing to brag about in the slightest but I do feel my healthiest in a good while:

20 minute sprint on my exercise bike - 5-7 days a week depending on my schedule/mood
25 push ups every day
20 reps per arm weights every other day
30 minute walk - 3-5 days per week

I've actually lost weight during lockdown doing this, not bad.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I really wish Kinect wasn't abandoned like it was.. there was a lot of really good workout stuff there..

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Ring Fit is fun for Switch
Beat Saber is good for VR if you find songs you love
Thrill of the Fight for VR is what to do if you want to *really* work up a sweat though

My housemate likes to do Chloe Ting exercises

We also did this for a while for planks