• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'm gonna assume that most companies who can will say this.

At least when I've been out the vast majority of people are wearing masks. The home depot by my house is so busy the parking lot looks like a holiday weekend
Had to go get a blood test today, and more people were not wearing masks than the last time (two weeks ago) I had to go to the doctor

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Had to go get a blood test today, and more people were not wearing masks than the last time (two weeks ago) I had to go to the doctor
Ugh, I really don't want to go for my well woman's in a couple of weeks, especially since the doctor's office is in a hospital and I can't do teledoc cause it's a screening year. Maybe I'll postpone it for a month again...

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
My workplace was doing WFH but we're back to the office full capacity on Monday. I'm still going nowhere in public; straight from work to home. I'm also fortunate one of my family members is a MD so I got a N95 mask from their office that I'm going to wear all the time. We're doing just fine from home; I don't see why another couple of weeks matters in the long-term. Truly pisses me off.

What part of Texas and what industry, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Austin and my wife and I are expecting to WFH for at least a few more months. A friend of mine works for a large tech company and they were told September at the earliest, but maybe not returning until 2021.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
There is nothing mayors can do at this point.

I am rewarding restaurants making the right call by ordering from them this week. Reopen and no $$$ from me.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg is pretty much telling Abbott to more or less fuck off at least.

www.expressnews.com

San Antonio, Bexar County stay-home orders modified, extended through May 19

Mayor Nirenberg, County Judge Wolff note the spread of the deadly novel coronavirus is...
I was under the assumption that Abbott had made it illegal to do that. Not that I disagree with them not selling out their people for the dumbfuck just worried about punitive action.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
I was under the assumption that Abbott had made it illegal to do that. Not that I disagree with them not selling out their people for the dumbfuck just worried about punitive action.
Mayor Dee Margo here in El Paso also reinstated that face masks are mandatory last night, so after the unpopular decision by the Governor to continue with the reopening the Mayor just said, fucking fight me.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Mayor Dee Margo here in El Paso also reinstated that face masks are mandatory last night, so after the unpopular decision by the Governor to continue with the reopening the Mayor just said, fucking fight me.
Just moved to El Paso from NY a couple of months ago (basically RIGHT before the virus was a serious thing to the US public) and was wondering about that. I know it's quite a bit more blue then the rest of the state so this order seems a bit much to go lock step with but I'm not getting the feeling of total condemnation of it either. Not trying to go out and see what's opened an closed but I've heard things like the outlet mall reopening and had a bit of side eye going if you know what I mean?

Oct 28, 2017
Just moved to El Paso from NY a couple of months ago (basically RIGHT before the virus was a serious thing to the US public) and was wondering about that. I know it's quite a bit more blue then the rest of the state so this order seems a bit much to go lock step with but I'm not getting the feeling of total condemnation of it either. Not trying to go out and see what's opened an closed but I've heard things like the outlet mall reopening and had a bit of side eye going if you know what I mean?
Well our Mayor is Republican so a bit of that and also actually has to be fucking sane to win in one of the bluest area of the country. So eh pretty middle of the road. Also welcome to the city, may you enjoy your time here!

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Ugh, I really don't want to go for my well woman's in a couple of weeks, especially since the doctor's office is in a hospital and I can't do teledoc cause it's a screening year. Maybe I'll postpone it for a month again...

If I didn't have to go I wouldn't. Unfortunately, I need infusions and last time my white cell count had bottomed out so I had to come back in sooner than usual :(

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017

In the El Paso Times or on one of the news sites it basically said they can't enforce it but it gives businesses the cover to turn away folks who aren't wearing it. I don't know how that works but fuck the state government regardless.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
If I didn't have to go I wouldn't. Unfortunately, I need infusions and last time my white cell count had bottomed out so I had to come back in sooner than usual :(
Ask them if they can call you in via your cell phone when they're actually ready for you. May be a good way to split the middle so you're not packed in the waiting room.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
In the El Paso Times or on one of the news sites it basically said they can't enforce it but it gives businesses the cover to turn away folks who aren't wearing it. I don't know how that works but fuck the state government regardless.
Businesses can always refuse service. The deal with the cities is they can't enforce penalties anymore.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Already people are posting in Next Door about how great it is that things are back to normal. One person is crowing about the whole thing being a hoax anyway, and anyone telling him he's wrong gets deleted. EVERYTHING IS GUNNA BE FINE GUYS.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, need some opinions? My wife is currently unemployed as a massage parlor manager and they're re-opening today to just do retail and sell packages for when it reopens. They want her in as early as tomorrow, can she turn them down and still collect her unemployment? They said she would still get paid and receive her benefits from unemployment.

Not optimal, but she doesn't mind losing her job over this.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Already people are posting in Next Door about how great it is that things are back to normal. One person is crowing about the whole thing being a hoax anyway, and anyone telling him he's wrong gets deleted. EVERYTHING IS GUNNA BE FINE GUYS.

Nextdoor is just Twitter for boomers and those HOA members that can't mind their own business. No idea why anyone uses it.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Businesses can always refuse service. The deal with the cities is they can't enforce penalties anymore.
The problem is not every business has bouncers. The workers are going to be put into a position where they just want to avoid drama of trying to send people away without masks. So, the people without masks still get service.
I was just riding my bike down the road. The roads are packed. It is pretty bad. And, the newspapers for the past three weeks have been all front page news about what is happening in the local hospitals, even a nurse dying from Covid19. I dont know what to say. Mexican-Americans love to shop.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is not every business has bouncers. The workers are going to be put into a position where they just want to avoid drama of trying to send people away without masks. So, the people without masks still get service.
All of the stores around here prior to today have had staff at the doors to turn people away.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
All of the stores around here prior to today have had staff at the doors to turn people away.
Nah. Check out the gas station/corner stores. People are going in without masks and buying stuff. The employees try to turn people away, but it just leads to an argument at the counter.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Yep. El Paso is majority Blue which was for me a nice welcome coming from Las Vegas which is a bit of a mix when I first moved here a few years back. The people wanting to go to Cielo Vista just completely confuse the hell outta me cause why are they going? Nothing essential is at the mall, so I'm assuming most are just going to walk around? But why put yourself at risk? Like seriously. Is walking around the mall worth it when most people don't have a lot of spending cash plus the majority of the stores are all closed anyway?

So I really don't see the point in opening the mall at this point in time. Give it 2 more weeks, another month, and let's re-evaluate, but not when El Paso is reporting higher numbers than ever before with more deaths per day. Like, you have a higher chance of getting sick now than you did a month ago.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017

I was just riding my bike down the road. The roads are packed. It is pretty bad. And, the newspapers for the past three weeks have been all front page news about what is happening in the local hospitals, even a nurse dying from Covid19. I dont know what to say. Mexican-Americans love to shop.

I've run out of excuses for El Pasoans. My dad has a lot of underlying conditions so I'm glad he's staying home at least.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guarantee we will have reports like New York in Texas in a few weeks. Shits gonna get bad, it's not even close to the peak yet.

This is going to be an interesting test to see what happens when you cross stupidity with reality

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least the city can set standards for city-provided services such as keeping the parks and trails closed. I don't think they'll be able to do anything about masks or retail that's been opened.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
i am so nervous about all of this. I had to go out Sunday to pick up stuff and I saw so many cars on the road. I can't imagine how bad this will be

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
It's just so convient that they gave Trillions to big business and the stock market, nothing to the small businesses, then told everyone time to go to work!

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
New governor conference

- Wedding services have been added to the same category as funerals and church services. Wedding receptions need to follow restaurant standards.
- Rivers, lakes, and beaches need to follow the same distancing standards as parks
- Outdoor restaurant seating needs to follow same distancing standards as inside
- Effective May 8th, cosmetologist services can reopen
- Gyms can reopen May 18th at 25% capacity. Locker rooms and showers must remain closed. Equipment must be sanitized after each use. Customers must use gloves.
- Still trying to figure out how to reopen bars safely.
- Non-essential manufacturing can reopen May 18th at 25% capacity. Use plexiglass where distancing isn't possible.
- Office buildings can reopen May 18th to either the greater of 5 employees or 25% provided that they can maintain proper distancing

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the governor claim the number of positive tests is going down. IMO that doesn't mean shit if not everyone has been tested.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Right. Hospitalizations is a way better stat and probally should be looking at anything respiratory related as a possible case.

To his credit he did point out we are 3rd in recovery. That's great and all but I'm still pissed were reopening. Abbot is a PoS but never struck me as stupid or willfully ignorant. My two cents is he knows he'll get heat from his donors if he doesn't reopen but knows he'll be blamed if cases spike.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
To his credit he did point out we are 3rd in recovery. That's great and all but I'm still pissed were reopening. Abbot is a PoS but never struck me as stupid or willfully ignorant. My two cents is he knows he'll get heat from his donors if he doesn't reopen but knows he'll be blamed if cases spike.
Yeah, I kinda got the vibe from some of what he said that he knows the general public is gonna fuck this all up.

But bottom line is he's enabling it.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
How are they going to sanitize gyms after each use? Are they going to have gym employees following each person?

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
State government is probably going to suppress their numbers similar to what Florida was doing. Got to bail out the wealthy business owners.