• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
HEB is supposedly removing the limit on items. We're going back to square 1. I have my curbside order on Saturday morning, and I'm going to continue doing curbside.

I also doordash from time to time, but Thursday will be my last day for a long while. Too much of a risk now.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
HEB is supposedly removing the limit on items. We're going back to square 1. I have my curbside order on Saturday morning, and I'm going to continue doing curbside.

I also doordash from time to time, but Thursday will be my last day for a long while. Too much of a risk now.

Can confirm. Had to do my two week supply run today, and all the signs about limits had been taken down here in the HEB I go to in Round Rock.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

JFC really? Going to be a shit show this weekend then.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
They are opening theaters
yikes
I'm curious if any theater plans on trying.
Cinemark is king in Dallas and they won't be opening next month. Our Alamo Drafthouses, Texas Theatre, Angelika Film Centers, Cinepolis, and Studio Movie Grills have all said they wont be opening May 1st. I don't see anything from Landmark Theaters or Look Cinema though, but I really can't imagine any theaters opening next month.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The ladies at work have scheduled weekly "wacky" Zooms for the next few weeks, so I'm gonna assume I'm safe from going in for a while.

It helps that many of us are squeezed in like sardines, so it's impossible to maintain 6 feet of distance.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni

When you say removing limits , you mean people can hoard items again?

They went from limit to 4 to 10 items...the question is are they gonna start charging people for the curbside pickups again?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Fucking Christ this country is going to see a horrible spike in confirmed Covid cases and deaths in about 10-14 days with all of these dumb fuck red states reopening during the height of their relative pandemics.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When you say removing limits , you mean people can hoard items again?

They went from limit to 4 to 10 items...the question is are they gonna start charging people for the curbside pickups again?

Food item limit: none

I don't even see toilet paper on the list, but I'm guessing people who were crazy about it have a hoard of them. 4 for hand soap is too much. I still can't find any.

newsroom.heb.com

Product purchasing limits - H-E-B Newsroom

To help protect the supply chain in Texas, we’ve implemented temporary purchase limits on certain items. Limiting product purchases is a proven way to ensure the best service and product availability for all customers. Our stores are in strong supply and we continue to restock products daily. In...

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Food item limit: none

I don't even see toilet paper on the list, but I'm guessing people who were crazy about it have a hoard of them. 4 for hand soap is too much. I still can't find any.

newsroom.heb.com

Product purchasing limits - H-E-B Newsroom

To help protect the supply chain in Texas, we’ve implemented temporary purchase limits on certain items. Limiting product purchases is a proven way to ensure the best service and product availability for all customers. Our stores are in strong supply and we continue to restock products daily. In...

Thanks! Didnt realize they posted it on there, was checking the FB page which hasnt been updated in a few days.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

went to HEB, no limit on any item. Normally, hording is stupid and I would say it makes things worse, but considering Texas is opening back up and just going to the store will be dangerous for at least a couple of weeks now, I grabbed as much shit as I could see myself using. Mainly canned foods, things I can hold onto for a while.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My H-E-B removed item limits weeks ago

that said the hording had gone waaaay down regardless. You can just walk in and buy what you want. There was this two week spike of panic buying but now it's kinda back to normal but with way more masks

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
went to HEB, no limit on any item. Normally, hording is stupid and I would say it makes things worse, but considering Texas is opening back up and just going to the store will be dangerous for at least a couple of weeks now, I grabbed as much shit as I could see myself using. Mainly canned foods, things I can hold onto for a while.

I've been in the HEB Hutto a couple of times this week, zero people hoarding from what I can see. It was relatively "normal" - no limits on stuff, lots of checkouts so no lines, and no crowds. 75% of people wearing masks, I'd say, but this is Wilco, so no enforced mask order.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
My company don't give a fuck what he says. "Those employees who are already working from home will continue working from home until further notice." We're lucky in that we don't rely on customers coming to our building, a lot of us don't technically need to be there to do our work. They're also enforcing a mask policy for the people that do have to go to the office. While they'd prefer everyone use their own, they're actually supplying masks for people that don't have one.

Good point about the stores, though. I do need to make a run to H.E.B., I guess I'll do that tomorrow.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be a total shitshow. We instacart groceries and sometimes doordash, and the number of times we have left the house within the last month or so can be counted on one hand.

My boss told us yesterday that no matter what Abbott does, we should still work from home until further notice. My wife is pregnant and her doctor said she could get a doctor's note to work from home if her office makes her go back to the office.

What Abbott is doing is irresponsible as all hell.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
My work place said that regardless of what's happening on Friday, we're keeping on with the current practices. Wasn't expecting that tbh. My boss is all about the money. Thought for sure they'd jump at the chance to go back to normal. But she says that she's worried it's gonna get worse which I quickly agreed with.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
So... Texas just had its highest daily number of deaths and third highest number of daily cases... just when phase 1 of reopening is starting.

Fun.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Despite the Governor's order, my company has decided to extend the work from home till May 15th...better than nothing I guess.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Talked to a few small business owners the other day and they said the 25% capacity rule hurts them more than doing just doing curbside only. I expect many small restaurants/retail businesses to keep things as is.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The most popular local chain restaurant in my city are opening up their dining room. This is going to suck.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
My wife's company extended their WFH orders until the very end of the month (they have pushed it back like 3 times already) and my company has said we are doing WFH until further notice with no indication we are going back soon. Abbott's plan is a real winner in the business community lol.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
If the economy somehow rebounds after reopening, they'll keep it going despite the number of deaths
Hard to see that happening for long unless people lose their sense of self preservation. The logical response to "Everyone is getting sick now" is "I think I'll stay at home."

That's the reason why other states are taking baby steps.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
My company has been silent since the announcement. We used to have weekly all-hands GoToMeeting webinars where the CEO would update everyone but not a peep last week or this week. I think they are likely going to stay the course though, which means keeping everyone WFH and doing the SWP through July, and evaluating things in July to see if they need to extend beyond that.

Meanwhile I still can't get my unemployment through SWP even though my coworkers did. I've called 1000+ times yesterday and already 300-ish today to the TWC and can't get through. I have no hope.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Job's about to have a meeting. I hope they ok me to work from home another month. My son can't return to school and I'm a single parent.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
I was supposed to go on my supply run today but I am thinking of stretching what I have left a few more days to avoid any potential increase in crowds today. Not sure what to expect.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
My job is also on board with the "fuck the governor" initiative and saying we can stay home to at least June and they anticipate even longer. Dark days are ahead for us in Texas. Stay safe folks.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
That is the rub that the crazies don't even give one thought to. Good luck.

Yep. And people that think schools will just all go back to normal again in August/Sept are disillusion. There will be tons of districts that aren't comfortable with starting that soon, tons that will want to start but keep it remote/streaming based, and plenty that try to open but parents that don't want to take their kids there and things will fall apart. Sure, there will be districts that try to just go back to normal with plenty of willing parents and kids, but those will end in disastrous outbreaks and we'll be right back where we were in March.

And with kids still at home, parents will need/want to stay home too and their ability to work and provide will be hamstrung. It's a big knock on effect.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. And people that think schools will just all go back to normal again in August/Sept are disillusion. There will be tons of districts that aren't comfortable with starting that soon, tons that will want to start but keep it remote/streaming based, and plenty that try to open but parents that don't want to take their kids there and things will fall apart. Sure, there will be districts that try to just go back to normal with plenty of willing parents and kids, but those will end in disastrous outbreaks and we'll be right back where we were in March.

And with kids still at home, parents will need/want to stay home too and their ability to work and provide will be hamstrung. It's a big knock on effect.

As a teacher in Texas, I completely agree. I just hope someone somewhere in the chain of command can figure out something that's more effective than what we're currently doing (at this point it's just pointless busy work), because it absolutely isn't teaching. If the fall semester ends up like the spring semester has been, It's going to be impossible to play catch up with kids who have missed literally a year of actual instruction, especially if those kids are SPED, ESL, etc...

I have 3rd graders who are reading at a preschool level. We were planning on holding them back, but we've been told that every single kid will be moving on, so now we'll have 4th graders reading way below their level, and if there's any more "delays" (which we're all expecting there to be), then that's only going to get worse.

This whole situation is a mess, as necessary as it may be.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
As a teacher in Texas, I completely agree. I just hope someone somewhere in the chain of command can figure out something that's more effective than what we're currently doing (at this point it's just pointless busy work), because it absolutely isn't teaching. If the fall semester ends up like the spring semester has been, It's going to be impossible to play catch up with kids who have missed literally a year of actual instruction, especially if those kids are SPED, ESL, etc...

I have 3rd graders who are reading at a preschool level. We were planning on holding them back, but we've been told that every single kid will be moving on, so now we'll have 4th graders reading way below their level, and if there's any more "delays" (which we're all expecting there to be), then that's only going to get worse.

This whole situation is a mess, as necessary as it may be.

Absolutely. The academic impact this will have is staggering. I'm really sorry to hear you're caught up in all of that. It must weigh so heavily on you every single day.

I know a few teachers personally that, although they're private school teachers, things aren't much better. They're having to deal with wading through a sea of hateful comments directed towards schools and teachers online from ignorant parents that just don't understand. Those parents will of course continue to blame schools and teachers once their kids don't develop well due to the lack of learning.

Sorry to derail the thread but this stuff is so heartbreaking and makes me equally angry.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Can somebody to reassure me that a continued lockdown is going to make a real, positive difference in the long term? I used to be fervently in favor of locking down, but I'm beginning to have doubts with the linear rate of new infections. Over the next year, will fewer people die with a continued lockdown, or will the same people just die more spread apart in time? Will any of us truly be able to go a full 18 months without contracting the virus until a vaccine is widely available?

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My workplace was doing WFH but we're back to the office full capacity on Monday. I'm still going nowhere in public; straight from work to home. I'm also fortunate one of my family members is a MD so I got a N95 mask from their office that I'm going to wear all the time. We're doing just fine from home; I don't see why another couple of weeks matters in the long-term. Truly pisses me off.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Can somebody to reassure me that a continued lockdown is going to make a real, positive difference in the long term? I used to be fervently in favor of locking down, but I'm beginning to have doubts with the linear rate of new infections.
that's because not everyone is fully following through with the recommendations and fully enforcing it, and theres limited amount of tests being run. Any increase in testing will show an inflection in cases at this point. Which is why some places are still limiting the testing and doing buffoonery with classifying confirmed cases.

The places that followed the experts "magically" don't have a outbreak. The places that scoffed are still in the storm.

Things will get better, but some of us will have to wait longer simply due to the idiots in charge

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
Will continue to do what I've been doing these past few weeks:

- Wearing a facial mask
- Maintaining minimum 6ft distance from others
- Avoiding movie theaters, restaurants, the lobbies of fast food restaurants, bookstores
- Getting my groceries from smaller chains, like Natural Grocers - not HEB, Walmart, or Whole Foods

I don't have health insurance, so I'll probably maintain these behaviors till the end of the year. I'll have to see.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
My work has said "F the governer, we are going to WFH until it's safe." so that's good
I'm gonna assume that most companies who can will say this.

At least when I've been out the vast majority of people are wearing masks. The home depot by my house is so busy the parking lot looks like a holiday weekend

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My local news station did a live reporting from our two malls, and it was dead. Pretty much all the stores were still closed.

Oct 25, 2017

The consequences are staggering. We wonder if we are going to have to team my near five year old to read in the fall if no schools. Huge setbacks. My rising 4th grader is impacted but not as much. Hopefully. :(