• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to assume good faith here.

The issue is that it seems many conservatives are just very anti-science and anti expert. The party has been dumbed down by staking these really anti-science positions.

Georgia's Governor didn't even know COVID-19 was transmitted by close contact. Again, par for the course with the GOP lol.

Yes he did know. He's a liar. He needed a weak excuse for ignoring guidance and spoke to his lowest most credulous common denominator.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
As an employee of the great state of Texas I'm guessing we will be asked to get back to the office sometime in may. It sucks to live in a red state no matter how blue your county is.

Update - Plans announced

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
www.kxan.com

Gov. Abbott announces phased reopening of Texas businesses

Gov. Greg Abbott announced executive orders Friday that will reopen businesses and state parks, ease surgery restrictions and aim to reduce further spread of COVID-19 in Texas.

I didn't get to watch it, but bullet points from Reddit:

- Elective surgeries start April 22nd
- Next Friday - all retail can start as to-go
- Schools to remain closed through end of school year
- State parks open Monday (must wear mask and be in group less than 5)
- More details to be released April 27th

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
www.kxan.com

Gov. Greg Abbott announced executive orders Friday that will reopen businesses and state parks, ease surgery restrictions and aim to reduce further spread of COVID-19 in Texas.

Yknow what this is fine i thought it would be way worse.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
Yknow what this is fine i thought it would be way worse.
Yep same here I thought it'd be way worse considering how conservative TX. My main concern is the state parks reopening but I'm mostly fine with the rest. Lots of hospitals are actually struggling due to non essential surgeries being limited and what we don't need is hospitals going out of business in a long term pandemic like we could be facing.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Yep same here I thought it'd be way worse considering how conservative TX. My main concern is the state parks reopening but I'm mostly fine with the rest. Lots of hospitals are actually struggling due to non essential surgeries being limited and what we don't need is hospitals going out of business in a long term pandemic like we could be facing.
My only concern is like the 27th and what hes gonna dump. Its not like he could reopen hotels right? Could be a bad idea.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
This retail to go business is some shit. Especially if they open the malls. Social distancing is out the window at that point. There are still people leaving their house daily, going to walmart for no real reason other than being out and congregating.

It's going to get worse.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link.

Texas, however, has conducted only 169,536 coronavirus tests as of early Friday afternoon in a state of 29 million people, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services. There are more than 17,300 coronavirus cases reported so far and 428 coronavirus-related fatalities. An estimated 4,190 patients have recovered from the virus.

In contrast, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, has said his state of 20 million people has tested more than 500,000 people for coronavirus over the past month. California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom has set a goal of conducting 25,000 tests a day by the end of this month within the state's population of 40 million people.

The need for coronavirus resources in Texas will not peak until April 29, according to the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, and local officials have cited ongoing concerns about the inadequate level of testing.

I think trying to reopen is a bad move.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Curious as to what businesses will actually be open for the whole retail to go thing. This isn't as expansive or reckless as I'd feared, but I think there's going to be some confusion as to that particular aspect of it, because I guarantee we'll have people showing up at the malls and shit trying to get in.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't as monumentally dumb as I thought it would be but restarting retail right now even to-go is dumb as hell.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
So this opens up places like REI and Gamestop, but you still can't physically go in the store?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it says a lot that people are looking at this and are more relieved that it wasn't even worse.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
I sell clothes at my retailer. People like to touch and feel the fabric, otherwise they're shopping online. To-go doesn't quite work for us.

Tremagus

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
I work in El Paso and this is what it looks like right now :
LrcLRhC.png

As can be seen we have yet to reach our peak yet retail stores are supposed to go back to work next week? Literally just yesterday a Target employee tested positive. They "cleaned" the store afterward but seriously how can you clean an entire department store and also know that that person didn't have direct contact with another employee who then went back home to their family?

Like to seriously mitigate this sorta this we should no joke get another 30 days or we are gonna see a completely new spike in cases which won't even show until two weeks later.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Understand this: opening in Texas must occur in stages. Obviously, not all businesses can open all at once on May the first. Some businesses, if fully open, without better distancing standards, would be more likely to set us back, rather than to propel us forward. A more strategic approach is required to ensure that we don't reopen only to have to shut down once again."

That's at least more thought than I thought he'd put into it.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
www.kxan.com

This looks reasonable.

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I'm reading this wrong, isn't this just announcing releasing the plans to reopen probably next week? Haven't many other states including California already released plans once they do decide to start re-opening?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm reading this wrong, isn't this just announcing releasing the plans to reopen probably next week? Haven't many other states including California already released plans once they do decide to start re-opening?
Check the threadmark, some of the plans have been announced.

Could use some mod magic on the title probably.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
He chose ... poorly.

This will not end well. These guys seemingly refuse to understand that if you do this too early, you have to start from scratch all over again, and you end up shutting things down a second time and prolonging the outbreak. But, ya know, whatever, it's Texas. So why expect anything adequate?

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
This is still dumb. I get it, I work for the state, we are losing tax revenue and want to stop the bleed.

But i think there's going to be a spike in people doing dumb shit in parks, harassing retail employees for not letting them in stores, and generally going out and about more than they should to pick up non-essentials.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
He chose ... poorly.

This will not end well. These guys seemingly refuse to understand that if you do this too early, you have to start from scratch all over again, and you end up shutting things down a second time and prolonging the outbreak. But, ya know, whatever, it's Texas. So why expect anything adequate?

Everything is bigger in Texas...eventually the cases will be too unfortunately...

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is still dumb. I get it, I work for the state, we are losing tax revenue and want to stop the bleed.

But i think there's going to be a spike in people doing dumb shit in parks, harassing retail employees for not letting them in stores, and generally going out and about more than they should to pick up non-essentials.
yep

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Like Target is still open in California which is essentially (at least partially) a retail store. They just limit how many people go in at a time.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is actually a lot more reasonable of a plan than I thought it'd be. I think it's still too soon, but I don't think it's going to be the end of the world now.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate this guy, however this does seem reasonable. A slow process of bringing everything back to normal is the way to go.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I was expecting a lot worse, but I still don't like all retail opening even if it is to-go. At least schools will remain closed. As someone who works for a school district AND has a child in elementary, I was really starting to fear the worst.

Looks like the clock has reset for me and I'll be remotely working until at least May 27.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a better general policy than I was expecting, my girlfriend (a teacher) was anticipating them charging ahead with re-opening public schools. I think it's good that businesses slowly re-open but having retail places open immediately as to-go services will be a nightmare in retail dense areas with a lot of delivery drivers. The individual stores themselves might have an easy time keeping their occupancy down but the general shopping/mall areas will be a nightmare for people attempting to social distance.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I assume as long as a store has some sort of medication (over the counter or otherwise) or food in it it's considered "essential".

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly the parks thing bothers me the most, if only because it encourages people to go outside in groups, even if it's limited and they wear masks. We don't need to be doing that yet.

Retail to go and not in-store is fine. Best Buy's been doing that the whole time. And yeah, Targets are still open outside of limiting total people inside.

Elective surgery will help keep hospitals funded and healthcare workers paid, which is vital if things get worse (that things have to work like this is another issue altogether).

Even then I would have probably waited another 2-4 weeks before even taking these steps.