• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
I just say I'm not feeling well. It's policy at my work that management is not allowed to ask for a doctor's note unless you're off for more than 3 days. We always call in sick for 2 days every time šŸ˜‚

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I just say I'm not feeling well. It's policy at my work that management is not allowed to ask for a doctor's note unless you're off for more than 3 days. We always call in sick for 2 days every time šŸ˜‚
Same except I try to stick to 1 day juuuust in case I need that time later. Hit them with the "I'm not feeling well," text and keep it moving.

Oct 27, 2017
As a manager, whenever I get these texts I make them call me, but I always give them the day off. Doesn't mean I don't think you are full of shit.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I just say I don't feel well or text "im not coming in I'm using a sick day". When I was a manager I never asked or gave a fuck what the reason was, and I've never had a boss question me or accuse me of lying. If you have sick time it's yours to use.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a post about life hacks that if you ever get a flat tire, take a couple pics of it so the next time you want the day off you can send them to the boss.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
At my job you can call off for a day without giving a reason. As long as your attendance isn't shit.

Same exact deal at my job. In fact you can't use a doctor's note if you aren't out for at least 3 days.

The day Battletech came out I was sick as a motherfucker.

Mechwarrior 5 comes out on my birthday so I'm not sure I can pull a double whammy.

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
I just say I'm not feeling well. If they ask for details I say it's diarrhea/food poisoning. Usually prevents further questioning.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I don't need to make excuses if it's at least a week in advance. If not, I just say I'm not feeling way and taking the day off. No need for anything else.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
"I am unable to come in to work today due to illness. I apologize for any inconvenience and will let you know as soon as possible if I will require another day off" is my copy paste for a sick day.

Milly79

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I wish it was as easy as some of you make it sound. I work for a company that has a union and it's absolutely NOT required to have a note unless it's a longer period. Meanwhile, they're inconvenienced, press for the "truth", guilt you and try to tell you that you need a note. šŸ˜‚

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
Same except I try to stick to 1 day juuuust in case I need that time later. Hit them with the "I'm not feeling well," text and keep it moving.
I used to do 1 day only as well. So there's another rule that you can only have 4 sick episodes every 6 months. Any more and HR will be flagged and your sick calls will be investigated. The trick is that it doesn't matter how many sick days you take in a row it will only count as 1 episode. So ive effectively doubled the amount of sick time you can take in a 6 month period.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah I just send an email saying "Not feeling well today, won't make it into the office"

Try to be as generic as possible if you're taking a bullshit sick day. Not that I ever get questioned for it

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not feeling well"
"I'm going to take today off"
"I'm really sleepy"

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I haven't used excuses to get a day off, but I did use a few to get out earlier: Gotta go pick up a certificate and they close at 5, I've gotta attend this event I was called for from uni due to my god grades.
Stuff like that basically.
The couple of times I called in sick in the US were for actual reasons.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I need to use sick leave.

Are you sick?

No, but I have something I have to do.

Ok, I'll put you in for sick leave.

Thanks.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I used to do 1 day only as well. So there's another rule that you can only have 4 sick episodes every 6 months. Any more and HR will be flagged and your sick calls will be investigated. The trick is that it doesn't matter how many sick days you take in a row it will only count as 1 episode. So ive effectively doubled the amount of sick time you can take in a 6 month period.
I respect the hell out of that "I don't want to go to work," hustle!

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
My work let's me leave a freaking voicemail if I can't come in. It's awesome - no guilt, no speaking to another person, just a quick, "I'm not feeling well and won't be in today" and I'm back to sleep.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I don't fake call off anymore, but when I was younger I would go with tummy troubles.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm averaging like 1 sick day a month. I have over 100 hours in the bank, and the soup never says anything...so I'm just gonna keep at it.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
This scenario was me being honest and my partner not...

I was visiting Minneapolis earlier this year and we both work for the same company. Well the entire southern portion of Minnesota was shut down due to impossible driving conditions and snow blocking view.

I tried every route possible to get home, left Minneapolis at noon and made it back to Minneapolis safely (luckily) at midnight.

I called work and told them I was stuck in Minneapolis due to weather, she called in saying her grandma died. She brought in an obituary from someone she didn't know and got paid for 3 days, I got reprimanded.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm banking all my vacation/rollover days for my Japan trip in the fall.

Otherwise "medical reasons" are my go to.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
"I don't feel well."
"Don't feel too hot."
"Might be getting something. Going to stay in bed just in case."