• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
*shrug* most of my favourite games in the last few years have been exclusives and I doubt they would have existed if there wasn't a platform holder investing and making those games happen. Just look at all the major third party publishers and the absolute trash they are shoveling out, with a couple of exceptions.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I am baffled by these comments. OP edited his posts to rescind his comment about Nintendo hours ago, well before you made your replies.

So, what gives? Are you all just so eager to participate in a dogpile?

Y'all need to grow up and discuss things like adults. There's plenty to disagree with in the OP, but continuing to mock someone for a comment they already took back is childish and toxic. Knock it off.

I actually managed to completely miss the bit on the end somehow, my bad

I do think it's very obvious why Microsoft games are on PC and Sony/Nintendo ones aren't though

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there is any platform holder in any media that does not invest in exclusive content. They invest big money in content which ultimately forces the industry to try harder to compete. People need to stop feeling obliged to have access to everything there is without investing in platform. Makes no sense.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Exclusives are why I buy hardware. So no nothing about them sucks. This new anti-exclusive/anti-consumer nonsense needs to stop.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
While it would be great to be able to buy a game wherever I wanted, it's not something I see changing in the near future. First party exclusives, timed exclusives, PC launcher exclusives are going to keep happening. The way I see it is if it's too inconvenient to play your game I simply just won't.

Though this does remind me that I'm actually surprised that we haven't seen more generalized gaming hardware. I thought for sure that would be the future, where we'd have a few companies jump in to make their own android/linux-based video game system that worked like blu-ray/DVD or CD players... or hell, even like mobile devices. That's what I expected Amazon's first Fire TV and Steam Machines to be. It's not entirely the same situation, but a related one. And I think this would be far more beneficial than worrying about exclusives.

Oh yeah, and anyone in here saying console exclusives are bad better not be in EGS threads championing their exclusivity bullshit as """competition"""

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exclusives are why I buy hardware. So no nothing about them sucks. This new anti-exclusive/anti-consumer nonsense needs to stop.
Yeah I've been noticing a lot of stealth port begging here lately by people calling exclusives "anti-consumer", trying desperately to make that a new thing. It's extremely embarrassing.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
That's what third parties are for. I really don't understand why people are missing the fact that Sony and Nintendo's entire business model is based around drawing people to their platforms.
I understand their business model. Same thing for Microsoft. They all want a piece of the pie. As a consumer I wish I could just have one box and play all the games. I get that this is not the reality. You could argue that Microsoft's recent moves are more pro consumer than any of the big 3. (Doesn't matter is you like their exclusives or not).

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I just don't understand how you think it would work. If you make hardware AND software, why would you not keep that software on your own hardware? Again: would be lovely if they would play nice and share it all, but why would they do it? To gain software sales but in turn flush their main sales pitch for the hardware down the drain? It makes zero sense.
Time it out. Sell The Order 1886 on Xbox One now, 5 years after release. Sell Lococyle on PS4 5 years after release. Obviously just a joke, but you'd have to be awful patient to wait something like 5 years, that customer obviously didn't take the bait. Additionally, it could entice previously insulated gamers to hardware. Let's take another 5 year old game, Bloodborne, and say they release it everywhere. When Bloodborne 2 is released as a PS5 exclusive those insulated groups have a taste, now they know what they're missing, they're invested. I bet you'd see people buying consoles to get to that fresh experience sooner.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I think you should do yourself a favor and change perspective, seeing as exclusives don't have to be about exclusion.

Exclusives is part of the business model: they draw the crowd. Now you may already know that, but because there's a strategic reason for Sony to pour ressources into these projects and create really great and impactful experiences, it also means we get experiences that are seemingly dead when you turn to third parties who do not own the econosystem. The games don't have to continue to drive in the revenue through their design, such as is common with GaaS-games, but only grab people's attention to the degree that they invest in the hardware and/or continue to stay active on the platform.

Yes, it does suck that we can't just enjoy our games everywhere, on all hardware, although we seem to be going in that direction (streaming), but the more succesful an exclusive is - not just in isolated sales, but it's ability to sell hardware - the more likely we are to continue to see great games coming from top studios, without having to experience god aweful compromises in the creative vision.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I corrected myself several times in the thread and edited my main post. My basis for Nintendo was rooted in how I play the games and there's absolutely 0 reason they're relegated to the system itself. My argument wasn't sound, so I rescind the bit about Nintendo. Nintendo games should also be on other platforms.
Oh great. Another "Nintendo should go 3rd party" thread...

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
I like that exclusives are somehow "bad", just not when Nintendo are doing it.

There's nothing anti-consumer about console makers like Sony and Nintendo making games for their own platforms. The fact that those two are consistently making some of the best games should tell you that they're doing something right.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the worst fucking timeline.

Op, in the last 7 years, exclusives have won goty 5 times. Its not by accident. They get more time, more resources, more budget than your average third party releases.

Dec 12, 2019
Let's try different approach:
  • gaming devices are strongly dependent from quality of available games itself
  • ergo, we buiyng console/PC to play games we like in a way with best suited to ourselves in terms of price/support/technology/ etc.

So wchich is more lame?
1. Not having any exclusive benefits of expensive device. Everything is the same, without any noticable differences between competitors.
2. Getting a large amount of exclusive experiences tailored to specific fanbase expectations.

I don't know why, but option number one sounds much more lame to me. ;)

Basically we would just need good PC and smartphone.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Which is also hilarious because I remember a time during the Wii, Wii U days when people wanted Nintendo games on everything. Gamers are wild as hell
I don't know why some people were throwing out anti-consumer towards the OP when they didn't even state that word in the OP. Exclusives aren't anti-consumer they just aren't pro-consumer. I hope Sony does put their games on PC and they go the ecosystem route (which seems inevitable to me). Either way, I get it...it would be nice if software was device agnostic. Streaming will be the closest for us to get there.

It will happen eventually, as people favor convenience over quality. Hopefully in a relatively distant future. Netflix and Amazon Prime are mediocre services at best, and I am really, really generous. The ratio of crap to good is 4 to 1!

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Because Microsoft finally got so desperate for positive mindshare that they're trying to do anything possible, including completely devaluing their entire platform, to make people like them and now apparently Sony and Nintendo are the bad guys for not also being that desperate.
MS after seeing this exposing post:
AVNpy19.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Oh great. Another "Nintendo should go 3rd party" thread...
I like that exclusives are somehow "bad", just not when Nintendo are doing it.

There's nothing anti-consumer about console makers like Sony and Nintendo making games for their own platforms. The fact that those two are consistently making some of the best games should tell you that they're doing something right.
Some of you guys really don't like reading much. I don't agree with the idea that exclusives shouldn't be a thing anymore, as part of the reason why they work on them so hard is to draw people to their platforms, but that's not what he's saying and you know it

Mar 10, 2018
Imagine you run a company, a company that has its own proprietary software platform. You hire a team to develop a project that's going to be released on your platform. You fund the development of that project. And then, for some reason - I suppose you were feeling peculiarly magnanimous when you woke up that morning - when the project is finished, you decide to also release it on competing platforms, whose respective companies spent absolutely no money at all on the project. They are essentially getting it for free, because you paid for its development. You are getting the short end of the stick here.

OP, what you're basically asking is for Sony and Nintendo to release games which they themselves funded on Microsoft's platforms. Why would they as companies decide to do that, when they have their own proprietary hardware? Ubisoft, Bethesda, EA, Rockstar, etc. would probably make their games exclusive to their own proprietary hardware as well, if they had it. Just how business works. I would love to see Sony and Nintendo make all the games they fund multiplatform, but if they were to do that, they would quickly go under as companies. They have hardware to sell, and they gotta sell it somehow. All this thread is is another self-fellating "PC Master Race" farce. It's only types like you who whine that every game should be on PC. I never hear Nintendo fans begging for Uncharted on Switch, or Sony fans complaining that they can't play Gears of War on PS4. You should have just outright stated that you don't like consoles (Sony consoles in particular, if we're keeping it a buck).

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusives are the only reason new and interesting projects get funded.

The 3rd party AAA market is saturated with safe, yearly installments of proven sellers.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Exclusives are the only reason new and interesting projects get funded.

The 3rd party AAA market is saturated with safe, yearly installments of proven sellers.
Wouldnt that funding still exist if they released their games on PC? That's what the OP is wanting. I don't think the PC market is in direct competition with consoles or handheld

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Ultimately what OP is complaining about here is capitalism, which I think is valid.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldnt that funding still exist if they released their games on PC? That's what the OP is wanting. I don't think the PC market is in direct competition with consoles or handheld
IMO: no, because there's considerably less RoI without the hardware sales to make up for any individual project disappointing. It's the reason you see Activision, EA, etc, stay so safe, despite their occasional talk about new IPs being important.

Ultimately it's Sony, Nintendo, MS -- the hardware sellers -- that are in the best position to take risks. And the business case is symbiotic -- they need to take some risks to sell the hardware.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Okay and? So a handful of games may potentially maybe possibly not get made VS not having to spend $1350+ across three identical boxes.

I'll take the first scenario.

This comment doesn't make any sense. Nobody forces you to buy any of those boxes or play any of those handful exclusives. If it would be okay for you if these game never existed in the first place why does it bother you that you can't play them on your prefered platform?

You are basically saying: "If i can't play GoW, BotW or TloU on my PC then I don't want these games to exist at all."

How is that a reasonable take?

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
For instance If Nintendo went 3rd party, they would only publish 2-3 games a year like most 3rd party devs and focus on the IPs that sell 5 million plus. (2d/3d mario, zelda, mario kart/party, smash, pokemon, animal crossing, etc.....)
FE, XC, Metroid, Astral Chain....no need for these series to exist.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
well actually a better comparison would be if Netflix was only viewable on Netiflix sticks and Amazon Prime was only viewable on Amazon Fire TV or whatever its called.

No, because the streaming service itself is the platform, not what hardware the service is playing on.

That's not how exclusives work for video game consoles.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
What if you could buy any hardware you want . . .
I can buy any hardware I want. Don't understand this comment...

Some of you guys really don't like reading much. I don't agree with the idea that exclusives shouldn't be a thing anymore, as part of the reason why they work on them so hard is to draw people to their platforms, but that's not what he's saying and you know it
Oh yea, he took it back after things weren't going as planned.

How about y'all that don't like exclusive games just don't buy them? How about you just stick with what MS is offering and leave people who like exclusive games alone?

The op champions MS but condemns Sony, when all things considered, Sony went more multi platform then MS with MLB The Show. I don't see MS having anything planned for PS4 or 5. This thread is ridiculous and not well thought out.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yea, he took it back after things weren't going as planned.

How about y'all that don't like exclusive games just don't buy them? How about you just stick with what MS is offering and leave people who like exclusive games alone?

The op champions MS but condemns Sony, when all things considered, Sony went more multi platform then MS with MLB The Show. I don't see MS having anything planned for PS4 or 5. This thread is ridiculous and not well thought out.
He took it back in like 10 minutes

Well I'm not someone who has ever argued that, even if some other folk here have

...MineCraft, which is more multiplatform than nearly any other game on the market?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Microsoft makes PC OSs

Sony doesn't

it's not that hard
Thread should have ended here but I 100% agree with you cause my take on this is:

Exclusives need to exist because companies need to sell their consoles. No one argues over 3rd party non-exclusive games because you can play them anywhere. Yes, cross platform is nice and what not. But if we didn't have exclusives, we wouldn't have video game companies consistently making consoles the way they do now (every 5-7 years). Without exclusives, companies wouldn't produce consoles like we have now. No one would be buying into ecosystem X or ecosystem Y because there would be no selling point for these consoles without the actual exclusives.

And yes, I know Xbox fans are gonna come in saying something along the lines of well you can play Xbox games anywhere now. No matter what, you gotta buy into a Microsoft ecosystem. Whether you want to view Microsoft's Windows 10 as a platform or not, you're still on their product and on their ecosystem to play their games. Just because games are available on different launchers doesn't mean Xbox isn't using 'exclusivity'. People don't want to realize this because Sony doesn't have Computer OS for their Playstation users to buy and play their games exclusively on. Before you say, yeah well I can play my video games now with XCloud on PC or Android phones so it isn't exclusive (AFAIK iPhones don't support XCloud yet? I know they aren't apart of the Beta last time I checked, correct me if I'm wrong here). Do you know who's apart of the various developers of Android? Microsoft, which means you're still playing games on a platform they helped build, too.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Minecraft :)

as well as Psychonauts 2 and Wasteland 3, but because they're legally obligated to (they were Kickstarted and funded with the promise of those games coming to PS4).

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
IMO: no, because there's considerably less RoI without the hardware sales to make up for any individual project disappointing. It's the reason you see Activision, EA, etc, stay so safe, despite their occasional talk about new IPs being important.

Ultimately it's Sony, Nintendo, MS -- the hardware sellers -- that are in the best position to take risks. And the business case is symbiotic -- they need to take some risks to sell the hardware.
For instance If Nintendo went 3rd party, they would only publish 2-3 games a year like most 3rd party devs and focus on the IPs that sell 5 million plus. (2d/3d mario, zelda, mario kart/party, smash, pokemon, animal crossing, etc.....)
FE, XC, Metroid, Astral Chain....no need for these series to exist.

I don't agree Nintendo or any of them should go third party but I'm still not convinced the PC would hurt hardware sales all that much. This way you'd also get potentially more sales.

Death Stranding is a perfect example. It's unique and will likely sell fairly well. But that opens up the argument that Sony would not have partnered or funded it if it were to come to Switch or Xbox.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree Nintendo is any of them should go third party but I'm still not convinced the PC would hurt hardware sales all that much. This way you'd also get potentially more sales.

Death Stranding is a perfect example. It's unique and will likely sell fairly well. I think the year console exclusivity is perfect.
DS is a 3rd party title though. And you can let some of your exclusives go to PC, but it's only a function of the PC's market not being in direct competition. If too many of your console exclusives go to PC, it becomes a competitor platform and your hardware sales will suffer.

(at which point those exclusives don't look so attractive)