• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
(Reuters) - Newly unsealed court documents and other records show that Merck & Co and U.S. regulators knew about reports of suicidal behavior in men taking the company's anti-baldness treatment Propecia when they decided not to warn consumers of those potential risks in a 2011 update of the popular drug's label.

Internal records from Merck were made public in late January, when a federal magistrate in Brooklyn, New York, granted a 2019 Reuters motion to unseal 11 documents filed in years of litigation alleging Propecia caused persistent sexual dysfunction and other harmful side effects.

Since the 2011 decision on the warning, the FDA has received more than 700 reports of suicide and suicidal thoughts among people taking Propecia or generic versions of the drug. Those included at least 100 deaths. Before that, in the first 14 years the drug was on the market, the agency received 34 such reports, including 10 deaths.

Annual U.S. prescriptions of finasteride, as the drug is known, for hair loss increased to over 2.4 million in 2020, more than double the number in 2015, according to health data company IQVIA.

www.reuters.com

Exclusive: Merck anti-baldness drug Propecia has long trail of suicide reports, records show

Newly unsealed court documents and other records show that Merck & Co and U.S. regulators knew about reports of suicidal behavior in men taking the company’s anti-baldness treatment Propecia when they decided not to warn consumers of those potential risks in a 2011 update...

Damn.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Absolute numbers mean nothing. Give us actual percentages. I've been taking it for 5 years and I'm still alive, but for how long?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
(Reuters) - Newly unsealed court documents and other records show that Merck & Co and U.S. regulators knew about reports of suicidal behavior in men taking the company's anti-baldness treatment Propecia when they decided not to warn consumers of those potential risks in a 2011 update of the popular drug's label.

Internal records from Merck were made public in late January, when a federal magistrate in Brooklyn, New York, granted a 2019 Reuters motion to unseal 11 documents filed in years of litigation alleging Propecia caused persistent sexual dysfunction and other harmful side effects.

Since the 2011 decision on the warning, the FDA has received more than 700 reports of suicide and suicidal thoughts among people taking Propecia or generic versions of the drug. Those included at least 100 deaths. Before that, in the first 14 years the drug was on the market, the agency received 34 such reports, including 10 deaths.

Annual U.S. prescriptions of finasteride, as the drug is known, for hair loss increased to over 2.4 million in 2020, more than double the number in 2015, according to health data company IQVIA.

www.reuters.com

Exclusive: Merck anti-baldness drug Propecia has long trail of suicide reports, records show

Newly unsealed court documents and other records show that Merck & Co and U.S. regulators knew about reports of suicidal behavior in men taking the company’s anti-baldness treatment Propecia when they decided not to warn consumers of those potential risks in a 2011 update...

Damn.

the hell

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone come up with a better solution that doesn't kill your dick? Seems like we would have one by now

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
People who resort to Propecia like me often suffered low self confidence, anxiety and depression long before taking it.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
I take propecia. Haven't noticed any side effects beyond my hair staying where it should. 700 out of 2.4 million seems like an absurdly low number.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017

I mean honestly this article is full of shocking stuff but that is one of the least shocking for anyone outside the USA who has seen how the usa regulators seem to know about problems in a lot of industries and don't do shit......we all saw how they handled the boeing issue, I have little faith to believe the fda is any better considering they've allowed untold damage to be caused for decades due to prescription drugs in the usa when they're the ones who should have known that information early if not before it released and stopped it.

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, correlation is not causation.

The numbers as presented in this article really don't tell us anything definitive.

Yea they need to look at the base rates of suicide and suicidal ideation in a similar age matched cohort of men who aren't taking the drug. This is obviously worth studying but this seems like bad science journalism.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Do they get the same results for people who take a higher dosage because of enlarged prostate?

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Observational studies like this are really useless. 100 deaths in 10 years is a tiny number versus the 2.4 million people a year taking it.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize I was actually taking this stuff at first glance (didn't know the brand name) but I am as part of my transition HRT cocktail since Sept 2019. I've had a two decade history of treatment-resistant severe depression before starting it though. I've been deeper in the dumps for the last several months because someone important to me decided to part ways and though I have veered into mild suicidal thoughts in a couple or so bad periods I was never anywhere close to acting on them. I'm having some trouble putting fault on the drug for these though. Since I started using psilocybin recently my depression and ability to make peace with the loss has been seeing a subtle but tangible improvement so far.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I don't know about "old" but I definitely read this when looking for balding solutions. (There was no solution I just have to accept being ugly)

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Yeah, this is pretty well documented. I wanted to try this for my balding but I was told to absolutely not start taking the drug if I suffer from anxiety or depression, so I didn't take it. It apparently makes them much worse

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been on it for a few years. Have some mild depression and anxiety issues, but that was the case before too.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
This makes me more grateful for having won the gene lottery, male relatives from my mom's side are all fucking bald.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine it is a mix of side effects and the depression/anxiety that would motivate someone to start this treatment in the first place.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone come up with a better solution that doesn't kill your dick? Seems like we would have one by now

Fecal transplant.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Hair regrowth following fecal microbiota transplantation in an elderly patient with alopecia areata: A case report and review of the literature

Alopecia areata is a hair loss disease associated with genetics, autoimmunity, and other factors. There is an intriguing link between alopecia areata and gut dysbiosis. Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) has been recommended to treat Clostridium difficile ...

Considering that noninfectious diarrhea in the elderly patient was mainly caused by gut dysbiosis, he was given six rounds of FMT. His diarrhea improved remarkably one month after FMT, with improved appetite and disappearance of abdominal pain, distension, and depressive symptoms. Surprisingly, he reported new hair growth on the affected region of his scalp, with some of his white hair gradually turning to black, without taking any other therapies for alopecia areata before and after [fecal microbiota transplant].

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Handwaving stressors for men and women alike with "just accept it lol" doesn't seem very helpful
Yeah fuck that noise, I'm not gonna accept my hair falling out, and if I can do something about it I will. I've seen what I look like with no hair, it's not a pretty sight. Talk about a confidence killer.

teseR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fecal transplant.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Hair regrowth following fecal microbiota transplantation in an elderly patient with alopecia areata: A case report and review of the literature

Alopecia areata is a hair loss disease associated with genetics, autoimmunity, and other factors. There is an intriguing link between alopecia areata and gut dysbiosis. Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) has been recommended to treat Clostridium difficile ...

Brb, calling my Doc.

Ali

Dec 27, 2017

Numbers seem way too low to be too concerned imo. And I would think people taking medicine for baldness would be on average more insecure than the average person and possibly more likely to be depressed.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Fecal transplant.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Alopecia areata is not male pattern baldness.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I literally just got a prescription for this today. I already have a low libido so I'm not too worried about that, but I'm definitely gonna be vigilant about potential side effects.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I must be one of the lucky few that don't experience any of the side effects. Oof

OP
OP
Boondocks

Boondocks

Nov 30, 2020
NE Georgia USA
Handwaving stressors for men and women alike with "just accept it lol" doesn't seem very helpful
You can spend a lot of money fighting it or accept it as who you are.
Dwayne Johnson, Stanley Tucci, James Taylor, Ving Rhames, Jason Statham, etc are all bald. I really don't even take into account that they are bald. Friends in real life who are bald I don't even notice anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
screenshot_20210203-1oyjhf.jpg
My ad for this thread is good

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
You can spend a lot of money fighting it or accept it as who you are.
Dwayne Johnson, Stanley Tucci, James Taylor, Ving Rhames, Jason Statham, etc are all bald. I really don't even take into account that they are bald. Friends in real life who are bald I don't even notice anymore.

That's just tone deaf. Those people look great bald or have tons of personality to make up for it. Most average people are less attractive without hair. The fact that you don't mind unattractive people doesn't make that much easier to accept.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I have a friend who went on a psychotic bender after taking Chantix to quit drinking. He thought he was at his girlfriend's doorstep one night and began begging to be let indoors; turns out, he was at her neighbor's, who decided to exercise his "stand your ground" rights and shoot a shotgun through the door. My friend was killed instantly. Turns out he'd been having insane dreams for about a week before that.

Listen to the "warnings" any time you see a Chantix commercial. The most sinister ones were added after his death, with its makers scrambling to cover up that tragedy.

The guy in question was Carter Albrecht, a promising Dallas musician who'd become part of Edie Brickell's touring band while recording his own solid solo records. If you like Wilco-like stuff, his old bands Sorta and Sparrow are tricky to look up but they were a treat for a certain kind of music fan.

Fuck big pharma for committing to the carelessness that kills people and drives them mad.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So you are calling folks with baldness "unattractive"? You are part of the problem.
Their response was ill-worded, but it's about how we perceive ourselves, dude. I perceive myself as notably less attractive with thinning or no hair (I had a bald cap on a few times for SFX makeup, so I know exactly how I look bald). You can tell us to get over it, but you'll find that with psychological depressors, *that is not an effective solution for fixing a problem*.

For the record, I had a hair transplant procedure, which is an extremely privileged thing to get...but for those wondering, it did basically work a miracle.