• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
One thing I've been doing a lot of lately is beginning my sentences, outloud, while I'm thinking of what to say next with "I mean," even when it doesn't apply. I've managed to stomp out the ums and uhs, but "I mean," has been a beast.

"I mean, I think that..."
"I mean, I guess..."
"I mean, if we do this..."

I can't think of specific examples, but it has definitely invaded my day-to-day vernacular.

Anyone else use "I mean, ..." excessively?

Have you found yourself using verbiage from consistently posting on and reading from forums?

I'm actively trying to get rid of it, but I'm curious if anyone else has thought about how their internet habits affect their speech and has similar issues.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, please bring some milk home today on the way home from work [READ STAFF POST]

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
I mean, not gonna lie, yikes. We need to talk about this.

Honestly, I think this is either frequent or prominent posters just saying these things a lot that has caught on with others here.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
This is hard to kick. I remember having to break myself out of saying "basically" for the same reason. It's like you're stalling before the idea is actually there.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Forums and the like have not affected my speech to such a degree. I do feel my spine tingling every time I see "low key", "real talk" and so forth. Like, stop imitating others. Mass produced speech patterns are the worst. The worst!

OP
OP
J-Tier

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I noticed this last year and I find it annoying honestly
It's weird because I never type it out. But it has infected the way I speak which really annoys me.
This is hard to kick. I remember having to break myself out of saying "basically" for the same reason. It's like you're stalling before the idea is actually there.
Yeah, it's pretty subconscious. Really trying to get rid of it, since I'll use it several times in a row with different sentences.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i keep everything that happens on Era locked in a corner of my mind where it cant affect anything else

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I start my conversations with "(SEE STAFF POST)".

As for "I mean", like "yikes", that's been a thing forever, don't see how it's really ERA-specific.

Feb 1, 2018
"yikes"
"*checks notes*"
"welp"
"we need to talk about..."
"what an ______ take"
"fucking disgusting"
"i mean"
"y'all"

is twitter language that bled into era's vernacular

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
the minute I hear people say "cringe" "slippery slopes" "yikes" "outrage" in common verbiage

I already know theyre an internet dork

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
*checks shopping list*
Why do people say we don't need to pick up more bread and why bread is the most delicious food ever.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's just a replacement. I've noticed myself doing it lately. But it's just a lingo thing. Like how 2-3 years ago I prefaced every sentence with "Not gonna lie..."

My wife has her own. I've pointed out to her recently how often she starts a sentence with the word, "Honestly...". Though my favorite is when she bookends a sentence like that: "Honestly, I don't think this new cat food is even doing what we need it to do, honestly."

OP
OP
J-Tier

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Which means of all the places you post or have conversations, this place is the closest to normal.
Whew! Since I only use ERA, it's good to know that I'm probably pretty close to normal.
It's just a replacement. I've noticed myself doing it lately. But it's just a lingo thing. Like how 2-3 years ago I prefaced every sentence with "Not gonna lie..."

My wife has her own. I've pointed out to her recently how often she starts a sentence with the word, "Honestly...". Though my favorite is when she bookends a sentence like that: "Honestly, I don't think this new cat food is even doing what we need it to do, honestly."
Ahhhhhh! I just realized I bookend my sentences with "I mean" too. Noooooo!

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I used an "I mean," sentence last night. I've seen the other threads on here about it so it felt weird, and I'm trying to stop completely, but I was a couple drinks in last night so I indulged myself.

A big one for me is signaling the end of speaking with "so....". Really trying to nip that one in the bud.

Yes, and we need to talk about it.
I hate this one! It's so damn self-righteous, and usually for something that isn't that important.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one says "L.O.L. @ ..." when describing something funny to someone?

"Ellowell at the Knicks passing up Durant"

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I've been using "I mean" for years and didn't even notice it was particularly common here. It always struck me as being normal.

When I saw the thread title I was expecting yikes, oof, this ain't it, not a good look, problematic, we need to talk about, etc