• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
When I posted that clip for the first time (I edit my post above), I did mention the following:
  • Frames are counted from the beginning of the clip itself and not the source video.
  • Time is calculated based on differences between frame number and then dividing it up by video source's framerate encoding (in the case of DeS, IIRC it was 59.94fps)
It is still ridiculous to do that even with your expanation, lol.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
As someone who played PC games with an SSD, loads were never this fast.

Yep games that load in about a minute on current consoles might load in a a fourth of that time or less on PC but very few PC games are designed solely around the idea that SSD will be the default storage. We should be getting those seamless transitions soon everywhere on PC

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Well, in order to keep things simple, I now simply provide the time stamp instead of the frame number for people to digest the information easily.

I think it's good and informative, but it would be great if there was a version of that sequence without any pauses alongside it. So everyone could see how fast things actually are. The black screen areas trick my brain into thinking there are these long drawn out black screen moments despite what the counter says.

Good work dissecting things though!

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Loading screens are gone or limited for now, but I expect them to make a return later in the generation.
I don't expect them to return, simply because the RAM won't grow and I'd imagine even cross gen games are using the full RAM pool for games on these consoles. If anything, I'd expect loadtimes to be faster on a case by case basis during this gen.

As with everything, they'll learn how to optimize their games to make loading even faster. Just as compression software and all that will get better aswell. The best is yet to come on all these plattforms.
PS5's I/O Complex is the real game changer. That is just a brilliant bit of engineering on Cerny and Sony's part. The way this impacts game design is far more impactful than any marginal increase in GPU teraflops they could have done in lieu of investing in this area.
PC and Xbox SSD with DirectStorage will impact game design aswell. I don't know why some of you try to paint this as a PS5 only thing. PS5 I/O is second to none, but there is no reason to downplay what PC and Xbox will be able to do for the game design. We are moving in a gen with SSD, which will mark the end of HDD and therefore enable new game designs.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy that devs can more or less cover loading with a Simple animation now and this is just the start of the gen

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
NBA2k21

platocplx there you have it. Let me know if any other examples come by your way you want me to take a gander at.

I think it's good and informative, but it would be great if there was a version of that sequence without any pauses alongside it. So everyone could see how fast things actually are. The black screen areas trick my brain into thinking there are these long drawn out black screen moments despite what the counter says.

Good work dissecting things though!

That is a very good idea. One caveat is that Gfycat limits length of clip to 60s and so I will have to be selective in which ones I can make it work for. Any examples I work from tomorrow onwards (or after the NBA2k21) I will keep the suggestion in mind. Thank you.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's fast.

I wonder if later in the gen we could see some neat transitions like these (in cutscenes or gameplay) or if it's too much work/impossible:

VDHuOvr.gif

mfgEu78.gif

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
NBA2k21

platocplx there you have it. Let me know if any other examples come by your way you want me to take a gander at.

That is a very good idea. One caveat is that Gfycat limits length of clip to 60s and so I will have to be selective in which ones I can make it work for. Any examples I work from tomorrow onwards (or after the NBA2k21) I will keep the suggestion in mind. Thank you.
Absolutely appreciate you making these forreal

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
NBA2k21

I like your videos, but it's actually completely unnecessary to add the "At ___seconds" parts and I think may even add to the confusion. It's not in any way important information about the loading times. All you need to say is "Load screen begins to appear."

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I like your videos, but it's actually completely unnecessary to add the "At ___seconds" parts and I think may even add to the confusion. It's not in any way important information about the loading times. All you need to say is "Load screen begins to appear."

I know what you mean, but-

I started doing it in frames and providing context because I believed that showing people my work would lead to greater transparency in the methodology. Then I switched to time stamps alone more better relatability. Now if I just tagged beginning and ending of player agency period/loading period without each time stamp and instead only rely on the 'total time elapsed' there will, inevitably, be a subset of people who would then inquire how I accurately calculated the time.

So, doomed if you do, doomed if you don't (within my limited scope). To that end, I like the method that strikes a balance between some measure of relatability and not being cast aspersion upon.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I know what you mean, but-

I started doing it in frames and providing context because I believed that showing people my work would lead to greater transparency in the methodology. Then I switched to time stamps alone more better relatability. Now if I just tagged beginning and ending of player agency period/loading period without each time stamp and instead only rely on the 'total time elapsed' there will, inevitably, be a subset of people who would then inquire how I accurately calculated the time.

So, doomed if you do, doomed if you don't (within my limited scope). To that end, I like the method that strikes a balance between some measure of relatability and not being cast aspersion upon.
Now, that's fair. But, if I may offer a suggestion, put the time elapsed in a different spot, like top center of the screen. That way people still know your methodology, but it's not getting entwined in the information at the bottom..

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Now, that's fair. But, if I may offer a suggestion, put the time elapsed in a different spot, like top center of the screen. That way people still know your methodology, but it's not getting entwined in the information at the bottom..

The idea of decoupling information sounds like a good suggestion. Going forward, I will give that a try as well. Appreciate the input.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, this is fucking awesome. I really, really hate long load times. Might end up with a PS5 quicker than expected.

Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this is why Im extra excited for the Demons Souls remake and why I hope Elden Ring got delayed to take advantage of these SSDs.

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
I'm imagining something like a Souls game instantly restarting after you die like it was Super Meat Boy. That would be mindblowing.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who played PC games with an SSD, loads were never this fast.

Not for games generally, but for loading Windows or some of the other stuff you can do with a PC, oh boy was it insane when you made the switch to M.2 NVMe SSD. With that said for many games once I switched to an M.2 NVMe SSD it might have not been just been a second or two like we are seeing here, but the loading screen tips became mostly worthless as I couldn't read them before it was done.

If the PC answer to this pans out it will kick it up another notch and I am excited to these kind of times make its way over.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that is pretty impressive.

Even on computers apps generally don't load that fast. Granted that is loading in game so I don't know how long it takes to start the game.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready to spend a ton to get this speed on PC games. I love near instant loading going from Path of Exile HDD to SSD on PC, but not many games feel like that, even indy games that don't use up much storage space. Marvel's Avengers recommends a SSD on PC but it's load times are very annoying and horrible, though that can be exaggerated by the chatter during load to mask console load times, and the long unskippable hero intros to the map. But the initial game boot up times are still long and there's no flashy showing off stuff going on there.

I love choosing to launch Path of Exile instead of typing or looking for a book mark just to find a name of a item or something. Impulse gaming, it's the reason I stopped playing modded Skyrim and GTAV (their load times take way too long. In Skyrim's case it's compiling shaders or something).

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect them to return, simply because the RAM won't grow and I'd imagine even cross gen games are using the full RAM pool for games on these consoles. If anything, I'd expect loadtimes to be faster on a case by case basis during this gen.

As with everything, they'll learn how to optimize their games to make loading even faster. Just as compression software and all that will get better aswell. The best is yet to come on all these plattforms.
PC and Xbox SSD with DirectStorage will impact game design aswell. I don't know why some of you try to paint this as a PS5 only thing. PS5 I/O is second to none, but there is no reason to downplay what PC and Xbox will be able to do for the game design. We are moving in a gen with SSD, which will mark the end of HDD and therefore enable new game designs.
I'm not downplaying their advancements. They will have significant improvements in this area as well, just like PS5. It's just the care and full on focus on integrating this aspect into PS5's overall architecture which goes a step further than in PC and XSX that will allow the PS5 to differentiate itself more significantly on this front. The reason is that, for things dependent on time to load, every second counts in not breaking the immersion of (near) instant. This 'tipping point', if you will, will make a difference in game design choices, especially for games built around streaming engines such as open world games. Obviously, this will be most significant in first party games not built around the lowest common denominator in this area.

It is an exciting differentiator for PlayStation, as up to this point almost all we've seen over the past decade in both the console and pc space has been incremental improvements in fidelity and performance.

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah, it's fast.

I wonder if later in the gen we could see some neat transitions like these (in cutscenes or gameplay) or if it's too much work/impossible:

VDHuOvr.gif

mfgEu78.gif
I can absolutely see the likes of Naughty Dog being ambitious and giving us stuff like this. Especially if you can zoom into an object, you can cull everything else and replace it with the next scene.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I can absolutely see the likes of Naughty Dog being ambitious and giving us stuff like this. Especially if you can zoom into an object, you can cull everything else and replace it with the next scene.
when is naughty dog going to do a pirate theme game. i know have they have a successful ip. but i wouldn't mind something new.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Loading screens are gone or limited for now, but I expect them to make a return later in the generation.
I don't really see how. PS5 has 5.5GB/s raw throughout, higher with compression. So you can fill the entire RAM (16GB) in 3 seconds max. Basically nothing should ever take longer than that to load. Something you can hide with a transition, quick fade to black etc.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It's just the care and full on focus on integrating this aspect into PS5's overall architecture which goes a step further than in PC and XSX that will allow the PS5 to differentiate itself more significantly on this front. The reason is that, for things dependent on time to load, every second counts in not breaking the immersion of (near) instant.
Sony doubled down on the SSD raw speed, but Microsoft, Nvidia, ... all worked on bottlenecks and made sure the SSD won't be hold back. The biggest difference is imo the speed of the SSD itself. But when it comes to changes that the I/O can bypass the CPU and go directly to the GPU for example, then that's something everyone thought about.

And this is very good, because having so much hardware out there with great I/O capabilities means we will see a much faster transition towards I/O heavy games than we all are probably anticipating. This is great for all gamers, because third party can take advantage of the new game design possibilities without worrying how many people their game can reach.

I think the fact that even the lightning fast PS5 SSD has to do very quick transitions mean these sequences will also be possible on slower I/O. It will just take longer, which can be cleverly hidden like the Mist in DS shows on PS5. What would happen on PC (with a slower SSD) and Xbox? The mist would take a bit longer to build up.

We have to talk to Bluepoint to get any confirmation, but it seems like the player can't control the game anymore when pressing a button at the portal. Which means everything outside of the players view can already be replaced and refilled with new assets. Second step imo is the mist effect, which not only fits the game atmosphere. But it also ensures imo that they can quickly start to replace more assets as soon as they are hidden by the mist. Third and last step is the ultra quick transition to the new area.

i think the mist is a very, very clever way of hiding the actual loading times, which are still very fast. But not instant as in instant.

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony doubled down on the SSD raw speed, but Microsoft, Nvidia, ... all worked on bottlenecks and made sure the SSD won't be hold back. The biggest difference is imo the speed of the SSD itself. But when it comes to changes that the I/O can bypass the CPU and go directly to the GPU for example, then that's something everyone thought about.

And this is very good, because having so much hardware out there with great I/O capabilities means we will see a much faster transition towards I/O heavy games than we all are probably anticipating. This is great for all gamers, because third party can take advantage of the new game design possibilities without worrying how many people their game can reach.

I think the fact that even the lightning fast PS5 SSD has to do very quick transitions mean these sequences will also be possible on slower I/O. It will just take longer, which can be cleverly hidden like the Mist in DS shows on PS5. What would happen on PC (with a slower SSD) and Xbox? The mist would take a bit longer to build up.

We have to talk to Bluepoint to get any confirmation, but it seems like the player can't control the game anymore when pressing a button at the portal. Which means everything outside of the players view can already be replaced and refilled with new assets. Second step imo is the mist effect, which not only fits the game atmosphere. But it also ensures imo that they can quickly start to replace more assets as soon as they are hidden by the mist. Third and last step is the ultra quick transition to the new area.

i think the mist is a very, very clever way of hiding the actual loading times, which are still very fast. But not instant as in instant.
MS solution doesn't bypass the CPU. And Nvidia basically replaces the CPU by the GPU for the decompression. But there will still be bottlenecks on both solutions.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready to spend a ton to get this speed on PC games. I love near instant loading going from Path of Exile HDD to SSD on PC, but not many games feel like that, even indy games that don't use up much storage space. Marvel's Avengers recommends a SSD on PC but it's load times are very annoying and horrible, though that can be exaggerated by the chatter during load to mask console load times, and the long unskippable hero intros to the map. But the initial game boot up times are still long and there's no flashy showing off stuff going on there.

I love choosing to launch Path of Exile instead of typing or looking for a book mark just to find a name of a item or something. Impulse gaming, it's the reason I stopped playing modded Skyrim and GTAV (their load times take way too long. In Skyrim's case it's compiling shaders or something).
Look, I just decided to get the parts for my PC build recently, and at the last minute I started researching what's needed to take better advantage of PCIe 4 NVMe's. I had to get a better mobo, and it made my decision to get a Zen 3600 easier. (I also wanted to get a 3600 before the price went over $200, lol)

I just haven't built it yet.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure I understand the MM clip. Is the PS4 version a transition from a cut scene? I feel like in Spider-man you can move in and out buildings without transition.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
I am not sure I understand the MM clip. Is the PS4 version a transition from a cut scene? I feel like in Spider-man you can move in and out buildings without transition.
Nope, it's the end of a hideout and those take place indoors, when it's done you get loaded out in to the open world again.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so ready. The SSD is what I'm most excited for. I wonder how much time I've wasted over the years waiting for Destiny 2 loading screens, inventory to load in, etc. It's going to be such a massive QoL improvement not having to deal with that nearly as much anymore.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I don't really see how. PS5 has 5.5GB/s raw throughout, higher with compression. So you can fill the entire RAM (16GB) in 3 seconds max. Basically nothing should ever take longer than that to load. Something you can hide with a transition, quick fade to black etc.
Yep, if anything games will take less time to load as developers get more experienced.
MS solution doesn't bypass the CPU. And Nvidia basically replaces the CPU by the GPU for the decompression. But there will still be bottlenecks on both solutions
Yes it does. Data can be streamed directly to the GPU, which was what I talked about and as for decompression Nvidia uses the GPU, while Xbox uses the decompression HW (and a small fraction of one core of the CPU). There are no bottlenecks with all these solution as far as we know. Just different methods of getting there.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Some people are acting like leaving a building without a loading is some crazy SSD innovation when it's more about optimization.

Yeah, there are countless games where you can walk from an exterior to an interior and vice versa - it's not a new thing to walk through a door without Loading.

I'll be more interested to see that section in Miles Morales on PS4 vs PS5 to see whether an everyday thing has been taken out of context.